October W.I.S.H. Challenge - Being Our Best Selves

Family will be coming over Sunday to watch football, so will try not to go crazy with snacking during the game.
Will get everyone out at halftime for a walk.
Haven’t decorated outside yet, so might head out soon and get some pumpkins and chrysanthemums. It’s another beautiful day!
Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

I am glad it is better. Nothing has ever worked for either until this one soap. I know how that itching can feel. It is horrible. When I was in college it was really bad and I would call home to my mom and cry because it itched so bad it was hurting.
The eczema flared up again yesterday, so I think it might be a reaction to gluten (since gluten consumption was higher than normal during jury duty, when the first flair up started, and was higher Wednesday as well). So I stopped by the drug store and got the only Cetaphil body soap they had and used it last night and this morning and it seems to be helping, so thanks for the suggestion!

This week I've been trying some different keto-friendly things, like some keto power bars and a keto brownie mix. I have to say it's a mixed result, I think I'm sensitive to most of the wheat flour alternatives as well. But I will start keeping one of the power bars in my purse, so I have it for emergencies.

I'm down two more pounds, so consistently moving in the right direction. Wednesday was the only day I would say was off-program, so I'm doing well there as well. Step counts could be better.

I have to go over to the east side Saturday morning to get another blood test, and I'm thinking I'll want to do something autumnal while out in that area, like go to a pumpkin patch or to the big nursery/home store that's not too far away from the lab... something that involves some out-of-doors time and looking at some orange stuff. Other than that, it's getting ready to be gone next week, which really just means laundry and mopping the floors.

We got family Thanksgiving and Christmas plans figured out this week, and I'm not hosting anything so woohoo for that. For Thanksgiving I'm going to drive out to my Sister's and we'll eat out somewhere, I think probably the Irish Pub which will be interesting... the decor is dark and rustic and there's a big fireplace, so it should be good. Christmas we're going out to a fancy restaurant, which I'm also looking forward to.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend!

Hello all,

Hope you had a great weekend. Mine was good - mostly - Both days were filled with a mix of housework, kids working and walks. Although Saturday no intentional walk and that has been my lowest walk day this month so far. Sunday afternoon went for a beach walk with the boys after dropping DD to work got 5k on the beach walk. Eating was a mixed bag but with the effort on activity in the past week or so it didn't really see a weight increase - so that is good.

It is already Monday morning for me and I am keen to focus myself for the week so my motivations are

Related image

Related image

More beach walking. Focusing on sticking to my meal plan. Focusing on ME and refilling that well this week.

I am motivated by the Fall weather and by @4Mickeys walks on the beach. While it is no walk on the beach, Fall is beautiful here in PA! We are fortunate to have a nice walking path that connects our development to another. And that path takes use through a little wooded area. Yesterday I took our dog for a walk while my daughter was babysitting for a neighbor and my son & husband were watching football. I’m hopeful to maybe get up to the Poconos next weekend for a hike with the family as well.

Attachments

• E411B6A4-372D-44C1-8CD1-53F29F62B600.jpeg
    E411B6A4-372D-44C1-8CD1-53F29F62B600.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 4
The eczema flared up again yesterday, so I think it might be a reaction to gluten (since gluten consumption was higher than normal during jury duty, when the first flair up started, and was higher Wednesday as well). So I stopped by the drug store and got the only Cetaphil body soap they had and used it last night and this morning and it seems to be helping, so thanks for the suggestion!

I am so glad it helped you. It is the only non-medicine that has helped me.

It was such a busy but good weekend. The zoo on Thursday was great. They didn't keep the animals out but it was nice to walk around and listen to the entertainment they had. And really just nice to be out on a date with DH. We don't do this nearly enough. Friday I went back to the zoo during the day with my kids, niece and my mom. My daughter was being a teenage brat and has now decided that the zoo is not fun anymore and complained most of the the time. I knew this was coming as she is too much like DH and he doesn't like the zoo either. We still had fun though. She ended up spending the night at my mom's since my mom had my niece all weekend and my nephew spent the night at my house with DS. Then on Saturday both kids had there last soccer game of the season in a freezing 40 something degree weather. So glad it was the last game. After soccer both kids hung out with friends so I was taking them both places and not at the same time. Sunday DD, niece, mom and myself went to the quarter horse show (the congress). It was a lot of fun and both kids were pretty good. Even my niece that is not into the horses.

Now I am back at work and exhausted from the weekend. I still have a bit of the cold and my back hurts a little here and there but I am going to walk on the treadmill this. I will start slow and work back up again once everything is back to normal. I did lots of walking this weekend so I should be fine.

Happy Monday, Everyone!
(and Happy Columbus Day to to those in America and Happy Thanksgiving to those in Canada - I think you guys have the universe's blessing NOT to stick to your diets today! LOL)

I'm happy to be this week's host and my motivation is🌞🌞 sunshine!! 🌞🌞

It's the second day of sun after a long stretch of clouds and rain (that probably felt a lot longer than it actually was) and I'm finally crawling out of the fuzziness of a cold as well. This:

is my theme song today.

So what's motivating you this week?

The sun is shining here in PA as well-always a mood lifter!

Talking about the holidays with my daughter yesterday, I resolved to keep a handle on my eating and keep active. I do not want to go into the holidays over my goal weight and have all my clothes tight and being annoyed with myself. So I will do some serious meal planning this week. I leave Thursday for a long weekend with my friends, but they are all a health minded group so there will be long walks to balance out the cocktail hour. I’m bringing MickeyMom76’s wonderful chicken chili for one of our dinners.

Have a wonderful week, everyone!

Back on-site at our facility in LA... smooth uneventful flight down.

It was a lovely relaxing weekend. The Seahawks game started at 10am Sunday, which I really liked. I got to sleep in, then chill. Every commercial break I got up and did some sort of little chore, and got a lot done that way.

My motivation this week is that the jeans I am wearing today are baggy, and now that they've relaxed a bit they are almost falling off, and will be the first piece of clothing that is retired because it is now too big!

Topic Tuesday ~ Workouts! ~

What's your favorite time of day to exercise (or where does it fit best in your schedule) and why?

Last edited:
What's your favorite time of day to exercise (or where does it fit best in your schedule) and why?

My favorite time of day is actually late afternoon. In a perfect world (with servants cooking my dinner :rotfl2:) I'd go for a walk outside around 4:30.

But in the real world, my normal weekday treadmill time is around 7:00 or 7:30pm. It works for me because it gives some structure to my evening, and keeps me from getting sucked in to "lump-on-the-couch" mode too early.

Weekends (or days off) vary depending on plans. - Lack of a schedule means I'm more likely to accomplish anything if I do it early, before the day goes off track.

Last edited:
When I was working, I was fortunate to be home most days by 3:30. I would change, put my sneakers on and head for the trail for my walk. For many of those years we had a dog waiting for his walk, so he was a great motivator as well! Now that I am retired it’s all over the place depending on my schedule for the day. In the summer I tried to get out before it got too hot. I still tend to head out after lunch but before dinner.
PollyannaMom, if someone was in the kitchen making dinner while I walked that would be fabulous! :rotfl:

I don't have a favorite time - that is the problem! During the work week I get about 15 minutes walking in going to the office in the morning which can be a good wake up. Also, if I walk in the evening that can be a nice unwinding... I just need to do it.

Last edited:

Hmmmm similar to @Oneanne exercise and I do not have a good relationship! But I have been doing much better this month. As we are getting warmer again here at the moment it needs to be earlier in the morning or in the afternoon if walking around the streets where it is hotter. On a work day I was walking about 15 minutes between 6.30-7ish and then when I walk with my friend in the afternoon that is usually around 5-5.30pm. In winter this was not our 'favourite' time as it was dark - but we still did it together most of the time. Yesterday I walked on the beach around 1.30 and while it was in the hotter part of the day it wasn't too bad as I walked in the waters edge which helped keep me cool, I really hate that overheated feeling so for me it really has to be probably morning or afternoon generally.

In a perfect world (with servants cooking my dinner :rotfl2:

Oh the things I could do, if I had a servant! and they would be able to make me wonderful healthy yummy creations and that would also help :)

don't have a favorite time - that the problem! During the work week I get about 15 minutes walking in going to the office in the morning which can be a good wake up. Also, if I walk in the evening that can be a nice unwinding... I just need to do it.

Splitting your walk across the day can be good I have been told by a couple of exercise physiologists - it helps with blood pressure management and also my new ex phys wanted me to be 'active' for about 10-15 minutes after eating to help manage blood sugar after eating (apparently there is evidence it helps limit the blood sugar spikes from eating). When I say active just some walking, after dinner she suggested walking up and down my stairs if it was too dark to walk outside or I also have done my little strength training routine.

My little mini break is coming to an end soon - but I have realised how much I have needed it - after bursting into tears on the weekend over housework! This morning I have another appointment with the dietician, then I will get in some more beach time today. Yesterday after my walk I sat on a bench in the shade and just looked out at the water for about 20 minutes - once I was able to settle in and relax it was soooo good. Then tomorrow I have my review at my doctors and then I am spoiling myself with a spa day - hydrotherapy, massage and facial! I was a little snacky yesterday - some extra chocolate was eaten and I did sneak a couple of handfuls of DS15s chicken twisties - when I was on my second handful it occurred to me if they had salt - and sure enough not as bad as other reactions but I did get a little scratchy at the back of the throat and slightly raised hives at the base of my neck. Checked the label and it had two different types of salt listed - although doctor things it is likely more a preservative in the salt rather than salt itself - have to keep a food diary. I have stopped adding salt to my food but we know there will be salt in many of the things bought in stores e.g. tomato paste, stock etc. so far none of that seems to be an issue. But am trying to avoid a big dose of extra salt.

Topic Tuesday ~ Workouts! ~

My daily workouts fit best into my schedule if I get up early and do them first thing in the morning. During the work week, I get myself up and do them. Sometimes I have a hard time getting out of bed early, so some days my workouts are a little shorter due to time. But most days, that works well. And while I don't always WANT to get up and do them, I always feel better prepared for the day if I do them.

However, my favorite time of day to exercise would be when the weather is nicest outside. In the spring & summer, I was going to runs in the morning before it got too hot. Now in the fall, I enjoy walking or biking on weekend afternoons. I think going to family bike rides is my favorite. Once my son even talked me into going on a bike trail in the woods with log beams and jumps and things. I was nervous, but that is why we originally got mountain bikes. So it was a special time for the two of us together. There is also a rail trail nearby that we go on as a family. That's a fun one because we usually pair off and have good talks while riding. And throughout the ride, we switch who we are paired with. It was easier to get them to do family things when they were younger because they were excited by the different places we'd to: parks, aquarium, farms or zoo (@piglet1979 I can totally relate to your experience with your daughter...we haven't been to the zoo in a few years now and I miss it!). Now that they are teenagers, it's harder to find things to do as a family that everyone is into. So when we can fit them, these family bike rides or hikes are special to me.

Woohoo it's Wednesday... I think? During trips like this the days all bleed together and it's hard to keep track of time. But if it is in fact Wednesday, then woohoo because in a day and a half I get to go home!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter