Odd things your Dad said many years ago

I don't know, if it's odd, but one saying my Dad had was, "If you can't form a sentence without cursing, you need to buy a dictionary." That stuck with me. I won't tolerate my DH or DS cursing in front of me & can't stand being around people who curse on a regular basis.

My dad said something similar about cursing, &, regarding the word "stupid," he would tell me, "You are too smart & have too varied & good vocabulary to say 'stupid.' Find another word."

In addition to not wanting to hear me say the word "stupid," he also didn't like when my sister & I wrote on ourselves w/ ink. He'd tell us, "Don't write on yourself. What if the Russians poisoned the ink?"

And, when he'd tell me good-bye when leaving me somewhere (school, a friend's house, a ball game, etc.), as well as telling me that he loved me, he'd also say, "Be sweet." Not as frequently, but he still sometimes tells me to "be sweet" when he's hugging me & telling me good-bye after we've been together.

Not really related to me, but he really likes the phrase "finer than frog hair."

"How are you?"

"Finer than frog hair."

Upon picking me and a few friends up from a library Halloween event where we'd been tasked to wrap one another up like mummies in TP, "Look at all that wasted a$$wipe! You girls should go pick some of that up!"

"I hate Ross (friends) , I just want to smack him in the face"
:D We must be related. My daughter and I were thinking of Halloween costumes for 13 yo son and I suggested Ross. Her response was also, "I hate Ross, I just want to smack him in the face!"

My dad was a civil engineer who mostly designed roads and bridges. When he was teaching me to drive, we were going under an overpass and he yelled "WATCH OUT FOR THE ABUTMENT." I must have gotten too close on the side for him but had no idea what what an abutment was.:rotfl2: To this day, 50 years later, I'll yell "watch out for the abutment" when I go under an overpass.

Not so much what he said, more what he did...

When I was very little, he fed me EXTREMELY hot prawn crackers.

Ouch! :headache:

He thought it was VERY funny...

Whenever we had an old car that had finally stopped working and there was no way to fix it, "I'll just set the damn thing on fire!" And he did once. An old Mercury and the fire dept came and explained to him why he COULD NOT set the damn thing on fire.

:D We must be related. My daughter and I were thinking of Halloween costumes for 13 yo son and I suggested Ross. Her response was also, "I hate Ross, I just want to smack him in the face!"

he just has that face, that makes you want to hit him :p

When I got my first ID card, you needed two signatures to be an organ donor. My Mom signed but my Dad refused. His reasoning? "What if you were in an accident and some guy paid the paramedics fifty bucks to let you die so they could get a hold of your organs?" Hand to heart, he said that.

And also...fifty bucks? He might have at least upped my net worth on the organ black market to a hundred.

When I got my first ID card, you needed two signatures to be an organ donor. My Mom signed but my Dad refused. His reasoning? "What if you were in an accident and some guy paid the paramedics fifty bucks to let you die so they could get a hold of your organs?" Hand to heart, he said that.

And also...fifty bucks? He might have at least upped my net worth on the organ black market to a hundred.
My mother didn't think about paying for organs. She just figured if the hospital knew that you were a donor, they'd let you die to save others. That was until I received an Achilles tendon to hold my triceps in place. That taught her the value of doing the right thing for others.

I had an old boss who said he'd never be an organ donor, because he didn't know for sure if he'd need his body intact in the afterlife. Yes, he was an a$$.

If I wasn't feeling well and looking worse for wear, my dad would tell me "You look like you've been shot at and missed and spit at and hit." Dad didn't say "spit" though...I'm sure you can guess the rhyming word.;)

It's not an especially nice thing to say to someone when they're sick but I thought it was funny. In fact it still seems funny to me.:)

When someone did something that pissed him off my dad would say there are more horses asses than horses!!

These are all very very funny

I was convinced an evil monkey lived under my bed (maybe four years old at the time) My father would say-you go to bed by yourself and turn out the light. That monkey under your bed is not going to grab you.

He was big on facing your fears. :)

Me to my Dad: "The cutest boy in the school is coming to pick me up for a date. DO NOT embarrass me."
--The Boy comes to the door and Dad answers it.--
Dad exclaims loudly to everyone: "If that's the cutest boy in the school, I'd hate to see the rest of them."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter