Odds and ends questions!

Tracie Brown

Earning My Ears
We are getting close to our tent camping trip the last week of September! I want to make sure we don't miss anything!

We will have a stand up portable A.C. unit because it will be HOT

If our site allows, we will hang a canopy above our tent, and of course a tarp under the tent.

Any specific sand stakes that are a MUST?

Any tips on a canopy rigged above the tent?

Are bikes and locks a must or are bus and boat transportation plenty adequate?

Feel free to add any other tent camping tips

Thanks!

Sounds like you have the basics covered. I'm not sure about the tent stakes. They have recently replaced the coquina shell (sand like) with pea gravel. I'm not sure how deep the pea gravel is, but I would think almost any kind of tent stake would work.

As for bikes, the Fort transportation is pretty good. I would think biking from the tent loops to either the Outpost or Settlement would be about the same as the typical wait for an internal bus. Then you still have to lock up the bikes. The buses also have the advantage of keeping you dry if it happens to be raining when you get back from where ever you were.

j

Extension cord for the AC :-) flashlights, maybe walkie talkies if you have kids. You have been tent camping before?

Extension cord for the AC :-) flashlights, maybe walkie talkies if you have kids. You have been tent camping before?

I will be fine camping, but minimal experience. My husband is military and lots of experience, however, I am nervous about storms and extremely heavy rainfalls. I want to be adequately prepared and not surprised....also, our tent not blowing away would be a plus ;)

I think you will be good. Just bring what you think you need, trust me you will bring stuff you will not use. And if you forget something, there is always a store somewhere. Camping is more about making it work, no matter what. Glamping is making it work with lots of cool stuff that you can honestly do without. Eaither way , you will be over prepared insome areas and underprepaired in others. All good as long as you make it fun, and thats what its about!

You need lots of extension cords and surge protectors. Seemed like we had so much to plug in with 2 tents and a dining screen house,lights, cooking, plugging in cell phones, etc
Also I got sand stakes and they were a waste of money. They couldn’t go in far enough. We didn’t have any rain when we went (February trip) so we were lucky. We really had a blast camping and really enjoyed the fort.

I am nervous about storms and extremely heavy rainfalls.
Camping in September you are guaranteed some rain events which can be heavy at times. For peace of mind set up your tent at home and squirt it with a hose full force, top and sides, and find out its weaknesses and strengths. Better to do this in a controlled situation at home than in a panic situation in a Florida thunderstorm. The rain and wind comes sideways, not always straight down, so even though a canopy over the top sounds great in theory its not necessarily realistic. It can be helpful but also can have a mind of its own and become a sail or bird bath. It's all manageable but its nice to know what to expect before it happens and always have a Plan B for keeping clothes and sleeping bags dry. Sun at 8:00 a.m. and thunderstorms at 3:00 p.m. when you're not at your site are common so plan accordingly for a safe and enjoyable visit. You are wise to ask for advice before your visit. I'm sure you'll have a great time with just a little extra pre-planning.

Last edited:
So as TeamUBR mentioned, buses are good, and the added benefit, they are air conditioned. It will rain in Sept, just a matter of when. We had several downpours on our September trip and that was after the hurricane. Tents stakes, go military surplus, can't beat the old military metal tent stake. I would suggest totes with a snap on lid, water resistant for clothes, etc.
Frogg Toggs are the ultimate, and are a lot better than a poncho. They weigh little, fold up compact and when it rains, you have the whole park to enjoy....while everyone else scrambles for an exit.

Totes are an excellent suggestion! Didn't even think about that

So as TeamUBR mentioned, buses are good, and the added benefit, they are air conditioned. It will rain in Sept, just a matter of when. We had several downpours on our September trip and that was after the hurricane. Tents stakes, go military surplus, can't beat the old military metal tent stake. I would suggest totes with a snap on lid, water resistant for clothes, etc.
Frogg Toggs are the ultimate, and are a lot better than a poncho. They weigh little, fold up compact and when it rains, you have the whole park to enjoy....while everyone else scrambles for an exit.

Very encouraging comment, thank you :) our tent was a gift for Christmas for this trip, so we planned to set it up and do just that :) Also, going on a pre Disney trip to break it in and adding extra seam pprotection.

I expect rain..and some wind so let's hope everything holds ;)

Camping in September you are guaranteed some rain events which can be heavy at times. For peace of mind set up your tent at home and squirt it with a hose full force, top and sides, and find out its weaknesses and strengths. Better to do this in a controlled situation at home than in a panic situation in a Florida thunderstorm. The rain and wind comes sideways, not always straight down, so even though a canopy over the top sounds great in theory its not necessarily realistic. It can be helpful but also can have a mind of its own and become a sail or bird bath. It's all manageable but its nice to know what to expect before it happens and always have a Plan B for keeping clothes and sleeping bags dry. Sun at 8:00 a.m. and thunderstorms at 3:00 p.m. when you're not at your site are common so plan accordingly for a safe and enjoyable visit. You are wise to ask for advice before your visit. I'm sure you'll have a great time with just a little extra pre-planning.

:) our tent was a gift for Christmas for this trip, so we planned to set it up and do just that :) Also, going on a pre Disney trip to break it in and adding extra seam pprotection.
Pick up some spray seam sealer. My experience is most nylon tents will leak (drip) a little at many of the seams. I started doing this to all my new tents and never had an issue when it rained.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter