Odds of adding an extra day to package?

Napandnat

Earning My Ears
My family will be at WDW in late May for a six-day trip, and we are staying at the Dolphin. We booked the package through Costco Travel, and it comes with six days of Park Hoppers.

Because we are arriving at our hotel fairly early in the afternoon (around 3pm), and it's on an EMH day for Magic Kingdom, we were hoping we could simply add a 7th day, which wouldn't be too much more since we already have six. However, Disney can't do that for us without paying for a single park ticket at full price, since we booked our tickets through a "third party". Costco Travel can't do it without me canceling the entire package and re-booking it (and losing all our reservations and fast passes - not gonna happen)

HOWEVER, the lady I spoke with over the phone at Disney said that occasionally upon arrival, some people may be able to personally visit the ticket kiosk and they might be able to work with us. So my question is...

Have any of you had any experience similar to this, or can you give me a little more or less reassurance? Basically we are having a hard time planning our first afternoon/evening without having a better idea of whether we will have access to the parks. We don't want to count on getting in (and we aren't paying the $600 or so for us to go in one evening), but we also don't want to totally rule it out unless it's virtually impossible (and then we'll simply go to Disney Springs and enjoy Raglan Road following a nice dip in the pool!).

When you arrive at WDW, you will be able to "upgrade" (actually, pay a premium) to make your current tickets "non-date-specific."
So, they will be able to be used on arrival day. You can, at that time, also add a day to your tickets.

The cost to do that will be:
A. The difference in price between the "Disney price" for the 6-day Hopper tickets (date-specific) that you HAVE,
and the "Disney price" for the tickets that you WANT (non-date-specific.)
Added: OR, there might be an up-charge to move your start-date a day earlier than
your current start0-date.
-and-
B. The difference in price between the "Disney price" for 6-day Hopper tickets (non-date-specific),
and the "Disney price" for 7-day Hopper tickets (non-date-specific.)

The price that YOU PAID for the discounted tickets does not figure into the cost computation for the upgrade(s.)
--------------------------------------------------------------
All of "A" will not be a factor (and does not need to be done) if the current package tickets CAN be used on arrival date.

The rules for date-specific tickets have become so amazingly complex that simple upgrade information can be mired in convoluted "what-if" issues.

Last edited:
Once you are on site and have checked in, package and travel agent restrictions are no longer in play. At that point, your tickets are just tickets. You can add a day at any Guest Relations location, any ticket booth at any park, or at the concierge desk at the resorts. I believe the Swolphin still have a Disney desk in the lobbies, but I'm not sure of the hours.

But in any case, you should not have any issue adding a day once you're there.

Steve

Once you are on site and have checked in, package and travel agent restrictions are no longer in play. At that point, your tickets are just tickets. You can add a day at any Guest Relations location, any ticket booth at any park...
But, since the OP wants to use the package tickets a DAY EARLY, those tickets need to be "upgrade" to "non-date-specific" tickets.
Otherwise, they would not be usable on the day before their start-date.

All this is not a factor (and does not need to be done) if the current package tickets CAN be used on arrival date.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Robo, if I understand you correctly, I just need to calculate the Disney cost of a 6-day park hopper and a 7-day park hopper based on their face value, and pay the difference for each member of my party? By the way, my park tickets in my package START on our first full day (May 30th), not the day of arrival (May 29th). And Robo, if you are correct, then that is music to my mouse ears! I think it works out to about $9 per person.

Steve, you answer seems so simple and wonderful, I really hope that's the case!

But, since the OP wants to use the package tickets a DAY EARLY, those tickets need to be "upgrade" to "non-date-specific" tickets.

All this is not a factor (and does not need to be done) if the current package tickets CAN be used on arrival date.

FYI for anyone interested. We had booked our trip with a 10 day hopper but added another day at the start of the trip (not part of the package, separate reservation #). We were able to get our tickets validated to the day we arrived (without adding an extra day). It required a manager at our hotel (Poly). Beware that this can mess other things up, like Dining Plans etc (ours disappeared and required another front desk visit).

Are you sure about this? According to the fine print when ordering date-specific tickets:
"Changing Your Tickets
You can make changes to your tickets, including your ticket dates, prior to midnight ET of the day before your ticket’s first valid use date, May 30, 2019. There’s no change fee to modify, but an additional cost applies for dates with higher ticket prices."

If the find print is correct, OP just needs to get to a ticket kiosk before midnight on May 29 and simply change the start date and length of their tickets. It doesn't sound like they need to purchase the flexible date option which would make the upgrade quite expensive.

Are you sure about this? According to the fine print when ordering date-specific tickets:
"Changing Your Tickets
You can make changes to your tickets, including your ticket dates, prior to midnight ET of the day before your ticket’s first valid use date, May 30, 2019. There’s no change fee to modify, but an additional cost applies for dates with higher ticket prices."

If the find print is correct, OP just needs to get to a ticket kiosk before midnight on May 29 and simply change the start date and length of their tickets. It doesn't sound like they need to purchase the flexible date option which would make the upgrade quite expensive.

Hope that works.
As I said, if the tickets that the OP has will WORK on the arrival day, then ignore the "A" section of my post.

Hope that works.
As I said, if the tickets that the OP has will WORK on the arrival day, then ignore the "A" section of my post.

And, ANOTHER aspect of this situation is that the OP has "Package Tickets" and there are specific rules
about package tickets not being available until the specific date.
In THIS case, since the OP is checking in on the date that the want is for the tickets to be used,
that may not be an issue.

@Napandnat are you sure you have a WDW "package" booked, or is it possibly a resort stay plus tickets, maybe something Costco bundled as a "package?" WDW package tickets should have a start date the same as the resort check-in date; I don't think there is a way to specify a different start date. WDW package tickets can easily be adjusted in advance to add days. It sounds like this is maybe a "Costco package" with bundled room + tickets, but not an actual WDW package. However, if that were the case, you/Costco should be able to adjust the tickets in advance. I'd suggest calling Costco again to double-check, unfortunately sometimes phone reps aren't completely up-to-date on little nuances like that, especially since these date-based tickets are relatively new. Either way, it should be possible to adjust your tickets in advance, without cancelling the hotel room and completely re-booking.

Enjoy your vacation!

Hoping it's OK for me to chime in with an arrival day ticket question as we have not been since 2016 and am not up to speed on the new ticket rules. We will be visiting in 2020, booking with a TA that issues convention tickets. We usually do not visit a park on arrival day. Would I be better off just purchasing enough days of tickets to cover our arrival day, just in case?
TIA

@Napandnat are you sure you have a WDW "package" booked, or is it possibly a resort stay plus tickets, maybe something Costco bundled as a "package?" WDW package tickets should have a start date the same as the resort check-in date; I don't think there is a way to specify a different start date. WDW package tickets can easily be adjusted in advance to add days. It sounds like this is maybe a "Costco package" with bundled room + tickets, but not an actual WDW package. However, if that were the case, you/Costco should be able to adjust the tickets in advance. I'd suggest calling Costco again to double-check, unfortunately sometimes phone reps aren't completely up-to-date on little nuances like that, especially since these date-based tickets are relatively new. Either way, it should be possible to adjust your tickets in advance, without cancelling the hotel room and completely re-booking.

Enjoy your vacation!

Lanejudy,

I purchased what was termed "package" from Costco Travel, and it included hotel (Swan & Dolphin) and tickets. There are dates listed in the reservation, saying that the six-day park hoppers may be used any day from May 30th (the day after we arrive) until I believe June 7th (even though we fly out on the 5th).

Hoping it's OK for me to chime in with an arrival day ticket question as we have not been since 2016 and am not up to speed on the new ticket rules. We will be visiting in 2020, booking with a TA that issues convention tickets. We usually do not visit a park on arrival day. Would I be better off just purchasing enough days of tickets to cover our arrival day, just in case?
TIA

Scard,

I'm not too knowledgeable about how tickets work (as evidenced by this thread, lol), but I do know that if you are purchasing at least 5-6 days of tickets, the extra amount for another day is almost negligible (like $10 or so per person). So I would check to see how late the parks are open on your day of arrival, and you may want to hit whichever park is open late after your arrival. For our trip (this thread), I discovered that Magic Kingdom is going to be open until at least 11pm, and that made us consider adding one more day so that we could head over in the evening.

I purchased what was termed "package" from Costco Travel, and it included hotel (Swan & Dolphin) and tickets. There are dates listed in the reservation, saying that the six-day park hoppers may be used any day from May 30th (the day after we arrive) until I believe June 7th (even though we fly out on the 5th).

I don't use Costco and I don't know if they bundle individual components to create their own vacation package, but that's what it sounds like. Standard WDW packages (resort+tickets, including Swan/Dolphin) do not differentiate start date of tickets -- start date is check-in date, and tickets purchased with a package can extend validity to length-of-stay if fewer ticket days. (FYI...not that it matters in this case since you are leaving 6/5, but 7-day PH tickets starting 5/30/2019 should be valid through 6/8/2019)

I would try a couple of things:
  1. call Costco again and see if you get a more helpful rep, who can advise about the tickets. Unless it's some limitation in Costco's system, WDW package tickets can be adjusted without cancelling and rebooking. Check your documentation to know whether Costco charges a "change fee."
  2. are the tickets in your MDE account? Try calling WDW to see if you can add a day in advance. People have reported ability to do so with stand-alone tickets even when purchased through a third party.

If both of those fail, try to upgrade at the gate upon arrival. That does run the risk of having to upgrade to "flex" option rather than just adding a day, as I think arrival on 5/29 will be after "midnight ET of the day before your ticket's first valid use date." These are the rules:
You can make changes to your tickets, including your ticket dates, prior to midnight ET of the day before your ticket’s first valid use date, May 30, 2019. There’s no change fee to modify, but an additional cost applies for dates with higher ticket prices. No refund or credit is given for changes from dates with higher prices to dates with lower prices.

Simply adding a day to a PH looks to be ~$18, while the flex option will add ~$115 per ticket (without adding a day). So know your figures and be aware of the options.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

TIA

Convention tickets are not date-specific. That being said, yes, it's easier for the TA to adjust convention tickets through WDW groups dept. prior to arrival. There have been reports of ticket CM's not knowing how to upgrade convention tickets at the windows so, for the nominal fee of adding a ticket day prior to arrival, I would do it to avoid a potential headache.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter