Off or onsite for family of 6 teens/tweens- what do you suggest?

We are a family of 5 and are very dedicated offsite people. As I've said many times here, we wouldn't stay on property if it were free...really. We just value all of the space, comfort and conveniences that offsite affords. Not sure where you're looking, but you can get a 3 bedroom condo or townhouse for $100-$125/night all in, at most. We've gotten some for $70-$80/night all in...though we have a longer stay (17 days). You can also get a rental minivan for probably $50-$75/day if you don't want to use Uber.

For us, having 3-4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, a full kitchen, a full family room, etc...is the only way to go. Nothing like coming back from a day at the parks, getting a nice shower and everyone having their own spaces to unwind and do their own thing. They always are in nice gated communities, with nice pool complexes, etc...

From your description, I'd highly suggest trying offsite. You may be surprised how much you like it. Oh, one other nice thing about offsite with rental car is that your "bubble" just got so much bigger. There are countless gift shops, restaurants, activities, etc...just off property. Sometimes we come home from the parks, grab dinner at "home" and then go out for dessert. Those are some of our favorite family memories...sitting outside of Menchies and talking about our day and what's to come tomorrow.
Yes, thank you! This is it exactly. We need space in the evenings after being together all day. Do you have a favorite place you stay? I have looked at hotels since they offer free breakfast, but homes or condos have so much more space. I found a bunch for $100 per night.

We are a family of 5 and are very dedicated offsite people. As I've said many times here, we wouldn't stay on property if it were free...really. We just value all of the space, comfort and conveniences that offsite affords. Not sure where you're looking, but you can get a 3 bedroom condo or townhouse for $100-$125/night all in, at most. We've gotten some for $70-$80/night all in...though we have a longer stay (17 days). You can also get a rental minivan for probably $50-$75/day if you don't want to use Uber.

For us, having 3-4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, a full kitchen, a full family room, etc...is the only way to go. Nothing like coming back from a day at the parks, getting a nice shower and everyone having their own spaces to unwind and do their own thing. They always are in nice gated communities, with nice pool complexes, etc...

From your description, I'd highly suggest trying offsite. You may be surprised how much you like it. Oh, one other nice thing about offsite with rental car is that your "bubble" just got so much bigger. There are countless gift shops, restaurants, activities, etc...just off property. Sometimes we come home from the parks, grab dinner at "home" and then go out for dessert. Those are some of our favorite family memories...sitting outside of Menchies and talking about our day and what's to come tomorrow.

I guess that works if you plan on spending only part of the day at the parks, right? What time do you usually head back to your offsite place? Do you go grocery shopping at some point, etc? How much time do you spend in the room?

For us, that would be a total waste of time - we are park open, break in the room during the heat, back to the parks 'til late at night people. I'm on vacation and don't want to be anywhere near a kitchen or dirty dishes, LOL! I'm also not impressed with the area near WDW in Orlando. We've tried to extend that bubble, but only Universal has anything close to WDW for quality entertainment. Are there any restaurants out there that you would suggest that are not chain restaurants? We'd love a non-chain one to try, as we are usually on the road to/from our vacation at dinner time. But we haven't found anything worth exiting off 4 so far.

OP, I think it really depends on how you want to do your trip - long day at the parks, late nights - I'd do onsite. Staying together as a group the entire time, shorter days in the park, lots of downtime planned? Stay offsite to get the extra room for the same money, but I'd definitely get a rental car. How else are you going to get around to do other stuff, get food, etc? Uber everywhere?

Offsite may be your best bet with needing individual beds for the kids.

I think you could also have enough sleeping areas if you booked both a regular room and a family suite at All Star resorts. You could have an adult registered on each room, enough sleeping surfaces, and then there would be 3 baths as well!

I guess that works if you plan on spending only part of the day at the parks, right? What time do you usually head back to your offsite place? Do you go grocery shopping at some point, etc? How much time do you spend in the room?

For us, that would be a total waste of time - we are park open, break in the room during the heat, back to the parks 'til late at night people. I'm on vacation and don't want to be anywhere near a kitchen or dirty dishes, LOL! I'm also not impressed with the area near WDW in Orlando. We've tried to extend that bubble, but only Universal has anything close to WDW for quality entertainment. Are there any restaurants out there that you would suggest that are not chain restaurants? We'd love a non-chain one to try, as we are usually on the road to/from our vacation at dinner time. But we haven't found anything worth exiting off 4 so far.

OP, I think it really depends on how you want to do your trip - long day at the parks, late nights - I'd do onsite. Staying together as a group the entire time, shorter days in the park, lots of downtime planned? Stay offsite to get the extra room for the same money, but I'd definitely get a rental car. How else are you going to get around to do other stuff, get food, etc? Uber everywhere?
We do not do late nights. All kids are in bed by 10:00/10:30. We arrive at the park around 9:00/9:30 am and stay all day. Heat is not issue as we have always gone in February. I personally would never go to Disney between April and October 😁. Basically put in 10 to 12 hour days at the parks and then make sure our kids get to sleep 10 hours at night. At home all kids sleep 10-12 hours at night, so they are very accustomed to getting a good night's rest it would not be pleasant human beings if we shorted them.

Offsite may be your best bet with needing individual beds for the kids.

I think you could also have enough sleeping areas if you booked both a regular room and a family suite at All Star resorts. You could have an adult registered on each room, enough sleeping surfaces, and then there would be 3 baths as well!
I'll check it out, thanks!

We do not plan to let our kids go off on their own. We might split with one parent taking one or two, but all kids will have a parent with them. We looked at Fort Wilderness last time. I love the area, but those cabins are just too small and the bunk beds in the same room as the master bed are a deal breaker. If it was one or two nights, that would be fine, but a week too long. I am going to look at renting an RV to park there though. That might work. Thanks!

I've been in some big RVs, still might be tough for beds for each kid ... OR ... do you mean RV and cabin?

When we go at full capacity we are 5 full adults and we no longer stay onsite. There are so many great options offsite or even a larger unit at Bonnet Creek which is right there.

I just got back from a stay just north of the Convention Center (2 in our group were doing convention not Disney) and I timed each trip. Parking lot to parking lot was 15 minutes. I'd have to budget an hour each way if I were to use the Disney bus system. We have no issues with driving back and forth. I know you don't want to rent a car but like others say ... it really opens up all your options for where you stay, dining etc at lower rates.

And can you really not get a van for less than $150 a day? I've never paid that much for a van.

I've been in some big RVs, still might be tough for beds for each kid ... OR ... do you mean RV and cabin?

When we go at full capacity we are 5 full adults and we no longer stay onsite. There are so many great options offsite or even a larger unit at Bonnet Creek which is right there.

I just got back from a stay just north of the Convention Center (2 in our group were doing convention not Disney) and I timed each trip. Parking lot to parking lot was 15 minutes. I'd have to budget an hour each way if I were to use the Disney bus system. We have no issues with driving back and forth. I know you don't want to rent a car but like others say ... it really opens up all your options for where you stay, dining etc at lower rates.

And can you really not get a van for less than $150 a day? I've never paid that much for a van.
Thank you! just did a price check and it looks like a minivan would only be about $600 for a week. Bonnet Creek looks nice.

typically a car that fits 6 is $150 a day)
That seems high IMO at least on average. Have you checked out 3rd party sites, do you have a Costco membership, etc? I would say partly it will depend on how long you're staying because rental car companies have deals for weekly, weekender, etc

Would you suggest on or off site with these parameters and which resorts or hotels would you recommend looking at?
DVC rental is an option but other than Disney doesn't really do large parties (especially when wanting their own sleeping area-understandable honestly) unless you get multiple rooms and often those rooms will only have room for 2 beds so you'll end up with an air mattress or another room added on.

I'd say offsite personally but look into Disney Springs area for some hotels especially ones that will do things like suites. You may still need to get 2 rooms to accommodate all but it might be at a lower price point.

Of course you can go for even wider net cast and go outside of Disney's property nothing wrong with that and it's very possible you can get more bang for your buck because what drives the cost in ways is proximity to Disney's property.

Thank you! just did a price check and it looks like a minivan would only be about $600 for a week. Bonnet Creek looks nice.

Oh good. I know we've never gone much over $400-500 for a week for a full sized mini-van.

LOVE Bonnet Creek and practically on property (you have to go on to Disney property to get to it). We've done one and two bedroom. The two bedroom (and it's a split plan) had Master bedroom, secondary bedroom with two beds and sofabed. My three each had their own bed. You would still be short one but you could look at their three bedroom. The amenities are great. It is literally next to CBR and you can be anywhere in minutes. Do your homework on here and see all the avenues people book there through. Some get some really good deals.

We loved eating breakfast in unit and then have a few dinners in. We grilled steaks or did pasta and salad in. Some days we packed lunch to parks because honestly I tire of Disney prices for mediocre food. Great way to have a deluxe resort with plenty of room, kitchen and laundry ..... right next to Disney .... and save money.

Follow the transportation board as people will post codes for lower car rental rates. If you do end up,offsite, consider an AP for one person to get the discount on food, parking at parks, memory maker etc.
I understand about kids not wanting* to share beds, and the value of sleep- we are the same way! Can handle a couple nights like that but for a week-nope!

Your two best offsite options are Bonnet Creek and Windsor Hills. I believe BC has shuttles to the parks. I've never stayed there (but would like to!), but I've never heard a bad review.

We are also a family of 6, and I understand your desire for a separate bed for each person. I have one DD who's incredibly squirmy, and my "baby" (age 13) is already 5'10" and climbing. I've made my boys share for a single night while traveling--the other son is 6'--but I wouldn't do it for a whole week.

My gang loves, loves, loves Windsor Hills. We really value our space! We typically rent a 4BR, 4BA house. However, our vacation style is a little different from yours--my kids prefer to do parks for a few hours, then take a break. we rarely go back in (their choice). They also prefer Mom-cooked meals to restaurant dining. While the cheap side of me appreciates this, it's my vacation, too, so we compromise with simple meals in the house most days. We also do breakfasts and some snacks carried in--this makes the occasional Dole Whip or funnel cake that much more special. Most houses have private pools, and many have game rooms, video games and movies, etc.

Good questions. We have the fortune of being park veterans. We're also fortunate to do long trips, our summer trips have been 2.5 weeks (though those are now likely a thing of the past). Therefore, we don't spend the entire day and night in the parks. Even when we were park newbies, we never did open to close. I mentioned this in a recent thread, so sorry if I'm repeating myself for anyone who read it, but our days are either "AM parks/PM freestyle" or "AM freestyle/PM parks". The "parks" part is obvious. AM parks is roughly 10am-4pm in the parks. PM parks is roughly 4pm to 10pm. On that note, we never rope drop either. We get up at 4am on weekdays at home, we have zero desire to set an alarm clock on vacation. Besides, FP+ and refresh has rendered rope drop useless (from a getting on rides perspective), IMO. The "freestyle" part is exactly that...we do whatever we feel like at that moment. It could be going to DS, hanging at the pool, going for dessert, going to a gift shop, or hanging out at the house and relaxing.

Along those lines, we never plan mid-day breaks. The commute time savings of onsite vs off is largely myth IMO (there are exceptions of course, such as getting from MK to a monorail resort). From what I've read it takes 30-60 minutes to get from a park to an onsite resort. It takes us exactly the same amount of time. We timed getting to MK once, since it's the "hardest" to get into. From our front door to stepping onto Main St. in MK took 53 minutes. The other parks take less. So with that said, we just think mid-day breaks....offsite or on...are a waste of time. Why spend 1 to 2 hours round trip commuting? We'd rather stay in the parks until we're done and then call it a day. Having a full size house offsite makes it quite easy to comfortably relax there from 4pm until bedtime if we wish. Sometimes we do go back to the parks, but it's a spur of the moment decision, never pre-planned.

We love the offsite area around WDW. As I said, the gift shops, places to get dessert, we went to see Gaylord Palms at Christmas, etc... We don't eat out a lot, but when we do we're typically happy with chain stuff....we have very basic tastes. One non-chain place I can recommend if you like comfort food is "33 and Melt". It's grilled cheese based sandwiches and is fabulous!! Yes, we grocery shop. Since our summer trips are so long, we usually make two big trips. One when we first get there, and the second about halfway through. Beyond that, we'll stop on in to pick up little things if we need. We don't slave over a stove, I assure you. We make simple things that take little effort. Washing dishes? Nope, that's what a dishwasher is for. But that's just our style, I can understand why someone wouldn't want anything to. For us, the little time we spend per day is worth it. On a 2.5 week trip, our entire food bill for a family of 5 is maybe $800-$1000. That includes grocery shopping, buying desserts, going to a few restaurants....everything. From what I understand, people who eat in the parks on a budget still spend $50/person/day. That would be $4250. Most spend more. We literally save thousands of dollars...which allows us to spend so much more time at WDW.

OP, as for where to go offsite, there are endless choices. The "default" answer on these boards is Bonnet Creek or Windsor Hills. We've never stayed at either, but looked at them hard based on all the talk. They look very nice. To us, Bonnet Creek location is a deal breaker. The fact that it is on WDW property makes it harder to get to the local grocery store, gift shop or place to get dessert. And we just never picked Windsor Hills. The best advice I can give is to look on VRBO. Rt. 192 runs east/west along the south side of WDW. There are literally dozens, if not hundreds, if rental condo/townhouse communities within a mile or two of Rt. 192. Filter your search by price and you'll find so many options for a 3-4 bedroom place for around $100/night or less.

Bonnet Creek has 3 and 4 bedrooms and is inside disney gates. I would look into those

OP, you mentioned earlier that you might get the dining plan for only some of your party, however, I'm pretty sure--correct me, everyone, if I'm wrong!--that if you book the dining plan, everyone in your party has to have the same plan, so you wouldn't be able to do that split. In all my many stays at WDW, I've never spent enough on food that even the QS dining plan would've been worth it, but only you know what your family's food needs and desires are.

We liked Windsor Hills. We would stay there again in a heartbeat. I believe they have a shuttle to the parks, but it is very limited - I would never stay off-site without renting a car.

Also, on our last trip (March 2018) we rented our minivan through Costco - worked out to just over $33/day ($432.72 for 13 nights). Keep checking as your dates get closer and rebook when lower rates come up. Parking is pretty expensive at the parks (up to $22/day I believe), so you definitely have to factor that in, but we really prefer the convenience of coming and going whenever we want. Driving to the parks from Windsor Hills was easy - it's very close.

Your two best offsite options are Bonnet Creek and Windsor Hills. I believe BC has shuttles to the parks. I've never stayed there (but would like to!), but I've never heard a bad review.

We are also a family of 6, and I understand your desire for a separate bed for each person. I have one DD who's incredibly squirmy, and my "baby" (age 13) is already 5'10" and climbing. I've made my boys share for a single night while traveling--the other son is 6'--but I wouldn't do it for a whole week.

My gang loves, loves, loves Windsor Hills. We really value our space! We typically rent a 4BR, 4BA house. However, our vacation style is a little different from yours--my kids prefer to do parks for a few hours, then take a break. we rarely go back in (their choice). They also prefer Mom-cooked meals to restaurant dining. While the cheap side of me appreciates this, it's my vacation, too, so we compromise with simple meals in the house most days. We also do breakfasts and some snacks carried in--this makes the occasional Dole Whip or funnel cake that much more special. Most houses have private pools, and many have game rooms, video games and movies, etc.
Lovely! Thank you

OP, you mentioned earlier that you might get the dining plan for only some of your party, however, I'm pretty sure--correct me, everyone, if I'm wrong!--that if you book the dining plan, everyone in your party has to have the same plan, so you wouldn't be able to do that split. In all my many stays at WDW, I've never spent enough on food that even the QS dining plan would've been worth it, but only you know what your family's food needs and desires are.
I do actually think you are right. It is all or none

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter