Off or onsite for family of 6 teens/tweens- what do you suggest?

We liked Windsor Hills. We would stay there again in a heartbeat. I believe they have a shuttle to the parks, but it is very limited - I would never stay off-site without renting a car.

Also, on our last trip (March 2018) we rented our minivan through Costco - worked out to just over $33/day ($432.72 for 13 nights). Keep checking as your dates get closer and rebook when lower rates come up. Parking is pretty expensive at the parks (up to $22/day I believe), so you definitely have to factor that in, but we really prefer the convenience of coming and going whenever we want. Driving to the parks from Windsor Hills was easy - it's very close.
That's a great price!

So if would definitely be MUCH cheaper and more room to stay off site, even with renting van . Food will be the issue for us. We prefer to not pack in food and instead to eat two meals at the park. I looked at menus and if were to to eat a quick service at Columbia Harbor it would be $70 for the meal. Polite Pig would be $93, Yorkshire Fish Shop would be $70. Table service meals --Boma would be $294 and Park Fare would be $210. So, I need to do some math and see what the savings would actually be for staying on site and buying a dining plan. Thanks for all the info!

So if would definitely be MUCH cheaper and more room to stay off site, even with renting van . Food will be the issue for us. We prefer to not pack in food and instead to eat two meals at the park. I looked at menus and if were to to eat a quick service at Columbia Harbor it would be $70 for the meal. Polite Pig would be $93, Yorkshire Fish Shop would be $70. Table service meals --Boma would be $294 and Park Fare would be $210. So, I need to do some math and see what the savings would actually be for staying on site and buying a dining plan. Thanks for all the info!
There are very little savings for buying a dining plan...you would be paying $75.49/night per person. If you are saying that your entire family can eat a quick service meal for $70 and table service for $294 (and lets say $50 at 2 snacks each) which equals $414 then why would you pay $452.94 for the Dining Plan per night?

Even if you don't pack in food (which I get), give consideration to bringing in bottled water. A case from Target or wherever is ~$4, MUCH less than you'd pay in the park. We freeze a couple bottles to drink later in the day (when they've mostly thawed). Or, have each kid bring in a re-usable one.

Another vote for off-site. We’re renting a four-bedroom, three-bath house with its own pool and game room for $119/night. We’re also renting a seven-passenger minivan through Costco for $850 for two weeks. We found it much more convenient to drive to the parks than wait for the crowded Disney buses.

In theory, if the OP were to book two Disney hotel rooms, the occupants of one room could purchase the dining plan while the occupants of the second room could skip the plan. Dining credits could be shared among the family. It would certainly involve extra planning but there have been posts and threads about how some have successfully done this.

You can't purchase a dining plan if you're staying off property. But as another poster said, if you stay in two rooms, one of the rooms can be on the dining plan (more expensive one) and the other room can be on the cheaper plan (or no plan)

You can't purchase a dining plan if you're staying off property. But as another poster said, if you stay in two rooms, one of the rooms can be on the dining plan (more expensive one) and the other room can be on the cheaper plan (or no plan)
[/QUOTE
Another idea to ponder! Thx!

Even if you don't pack in food (which I get), give consideration to bringing in bottled water. A case from Target or wherever is ~$4, MUCH less than you'd pay in the park. We freeze a couple bottles to drink later in the day (when they've mostly thawed). Or, have each kid bring in a re-usable one.
Yes! Last time we shipped snacks and water from Amazon directly to our room.

We do not plan on character meals, except Askerhus as my husband loves that place. I didn't realize alcohol came with the meals now. Maybe worth it to buy 3 meals plans and have 3 order off the menu.

You need to know that a dining plan is for the room, it is all or no one. If you book two rooms you could book Deluxe for one room, and that would feed all of you if you are onsite.

Personally, we stay onsite, so I cannot provide any feedback for offsite lodging, but it may make the most sense for your family requirements. If you do choose onsite, I would look at the moderates. They are a bit more money than value, however becuase you spend tome away from the parks, the amenities may be more appreciated than if you used the room just to sleep.

I would build a spreadsheet, and look at where your family will eat, and then cost it out. Add in all the costs on both sides, off and onsite. It will take time but once you see total costs for both on and offsite, you can then determine the value of any compromise you will need to make on wither side of this decision.

Another option there is that any QS place will give you filtered ice water for free, so you don't have to buy or bring water in if you don't want to. We do pack all of our food, including sodas, but if we want water we never bring it.

Seconding the cold water available from QS. No bottles to lug/re fill and it's free- win/win in my book too.

One of my sisters bought a house in or near Windsor Hills and enjoys it immensely for WDW visits. However, they cook almost all their meals and eat there. They hit QS for snacks when the mood hits at the parks and have one sit down meal at a restaurant on departure day. Too many people for me to be a part (18-20) of it daily but someday I'll meet up with her and hers there for a meal.

I'd rather lug the water (or rather, have my kids lug their own). I don't want to get out of line to find a QS place because someone's thirsty. You could also use water fountains or the free cups of water to refill a re-usable water bottle. We do this all the time when we travel--especially in Italy, where there are free bottle filling stations practically everywhere. It's a matter of personal preference. We also have a kid who doesn't drink enough, and we encourage him by getting those flavored drink packets--they work perfectly with a 500ml bottle of water, make it taste more palatable (DH HATES Florida water), and get my stubborn son to take in enough fluids before he gets his fool self sick.

Not saying its not cheaper but I would verify rental rates on the mini-van that pricing seems more like an anomaly than a standard discount. When you add in fees, taxes, airport fees, insurance and all the other stuff alone could add up to $150-$200.

I would still say with 99% certainty that it would be cheaper offsite.

I rent vehicles for work every other week and while I don't take hours trying to get the cheapest I just see all the "extras" above the rate that get tacked on.

Bonnet Creek has 3 and 4 bedrooms and is inside disney gates. I would look into those
It's not really inside Disney gates, but it is directly adjacent to Disney property. You get zero Disney perks with Bonnet Creek, but it is a very nice resort. Check into renting someone's timehare there.

Windsor hills house! lots of space, private pool and large community pool. We rented a minivan for under $300 for the entire week. Orlando mini van rentals are really cheap. Don't reserve too early.

We stay off site check out skyauction We pay 700 for a two bedroom at Sheraton vistana for a week, it has the king in one room, two doubles in the other and the sofa bed in the living room. you can get an air mattress for one of them. We have our two younger ones share. We uber to the hotel we take the trolley to Disney or universal its like 1.00 a person. you can pay for your table service and maybe eat at Disney springs or somewhere the other nights if you dont want to do that more than once. We save so much staying off site and its super nice. (we have kids 9,12,22,24,24)

We do not plan to let our kids go off on their own. We might split with one parent taking one or two, but all kids will have a parent with them. We looked at Fort Wilderness last time. I love the area, but those cabins are just too small and the bunk beds in the same room as the master bed are a deal breaker. If it was one or two nights, that would be fine, but a week too long. I am going to look at renting an RV to park there though. That might work. Thanks!

Not sure what kind of RV trailer you could get with 5 different sleeping beds - usually 3 or 4 beds sleeping more than one person. There may be some, but none that I'm aware of. If available, they would probably be more expensive (with RV site rental also) than other options elsewhere.

Not sure what kind of RV trailer you could get with 5 different sleeping beds - usually 3 or 4 beds sleeping more than one person. There may be some, but none that I'm aware of. If available, they would probably be more expensive (with RV site rental also) than other options elsewhere.

SOme of the luxury rentals have a set of bunk beds, so two bedrooms, a set of bunks and the table. They are expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter