Off property: Best non-WDW experiences while at WDW

We have enjoyed Pirate Cove mini golf and the Medieval Times dinner show. For off-site dining we like Miller's Ale House and Chuys Mexican.

Aw man, i remember seeing flyers for Medieval Times back when I was a kid and wanting to go so bad. I'd since forgotten all about it - thanks for reminding me! Pirate's Cove always looked cool too all the times we drove by it.

Also - yessssss @ Miller's Ale House

Universal of course.

We also enjoy the Pirates mini-golf places and Bok Tower was a nice break. I keep meaning to check out the Titanic attraction but haven't made it yet.

We're actually going to Universal this year! It'll be my first time in 10+ years. The last time I went, Men In Black was relatively new. No Harry Potter, Transformers, etc. Been trying to catch up on everything that's new, which seems like a whole lot! Kind of overwhelmed thinking about getting to all of it.

Also, looked up Bok Tower. Looks like a nice relaxing day

Mini golfing is always a lot of fun! I liked the airboat rides as well. And for people from the UK, Walmart is an attraction of its own, especially when the parks are closed.

More in Winter Park: the Morse Museum, one of the largest collections of stained glass art in the world. There is also a nice boat tour through the chain of lakes that lets you sneak peeks at the pre-war mansions along the lakes.

http://www.morsemuseum.org/
http://www.scenicboattours.com/

Ooo this is interesting. Where I live - and in a lot of places around here - cities and towns are big on local history, largely because as far as tourist draws, it's all they have to work with. I always noticed there's not a whole lot of touting of local history in the Orlando area. You almost forget that it's a place that has a history because everything is so shiny and new looking. I look forward to exploring this!

Yes, this, absolutely. While I understand the concept of the "WDW bubble" thing, I don't buy into it. Like you said, we only go to Florida for Disney, so for us the entire central Florida area is our "bubble". It's all vacation, all new and different places from home, just bigger than WDW property alone.

Daytona Beach - we love it. It's only 70 minutes away, you can literally park on the beach and have a great time. At least once each summer trip, we'll drive to Daytona, spend from about 10-3 on the beach, head back to the condo, shower/clean up and then go spend a few hours in a park that evening.

There is a Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins on Rt. 435 (S Apopka Vineland Rd) just outside of Disney Springs. There is also a Bargain World gift shop attached to it. Every single trip, we go there a few times to get ice cream and/or coffee and then the kids love to browse the gift shop for Disney pins.

There's an Ichiban Chinese buffet on Rt. 192, right near Rt. 535. Not fancy at all, but we just have good family fun.

We go to Florida specifically for WDW, but that's one of the things we love most about staying offsite and having our car. We can do so much more than just things on property.

Yessah, you so get it. It's funny because this whole thing dawned on me while I was watching our videos from last vacation, and I realized one of my favorite videos from that whole trip was one of us walking from Miller's Ale House down the road to Walgreens. I know the DDs/Baskin Robbins you're talking about. We might have to stop by especially for the gift shop this year!

All mentioned are good things, there is also Seaworld, Legoland within 20 miles or so. There also is a huge flea market not to far from Rte. 4 on 192 toward Kissimmee, all kinds of things to see and do on International Drive, That is also were you can take the helicopter rides over Disney. Try doing that onsite. Those restaurants mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg as well.

We just did a non WDW vacation (while staying at Saratoga Springs). We did:

Discovery Cove
Busch Gardens
Sea World
Aquatica
The Orlando Premium OUtlets
Hash House A Go-Go (so delicious)
4 Rivers BBQ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!