Off-site ECV rental headlight - need alternative suggestions

Euby

DIS Veteran
Last April, I rented an ECV from Buena Vista. I loved my rental and loved the service that BV provided. My only complaint was that the basket was mounted such that the headlight shined "through" the basket. Well if it has the license plate logo on the front, very little light makes it through. Plus add anything into the basket, forget it. It made driving at night a tad bit difficult. I added some LED lights to the basket and the cane holder in back, but those really added to others ability to see me.

I'm renting from BV again this year. I have a feeling that I may run into the same problem again. It'll be a Drive Maxima Scooter like the one pictured below.
upload_2017-11-3_6-40-0.jpeg

I'm looking for suggestion of a add-on light that I can easily attach to the front towards the bottom that will illuminate my path better. Looking at you mamabunny! LOL Suggestions from anyone are welcome really. Just want to make sure that I can see where I am going at night without blinding any oncoming stroller occupants.

Joining in because I have the same question. My last rental was with BV, and although I liked most everything about it, I did NOT like how well the headlight didn't illuminate the pathway in front of me. One night I went to AK at night, and that was where I especially noticed it. That's one thing I'll say for my Walker rental-it had a great headlight! But the handlebar hurt my thumbs, so I'll probably be sticking with BV. I was thinklng of bringing a small flashlight next time. Any other ideas?

I use a bicycle light for my scooter at home and when I go to Disneyland. It uses batteries and you have to bring extras. Got it at the local Walmart for less than 10. We travel by car so lots of room for the scooter and extra batteries. We are headed to Disney World also and have rented two scooter from BV. I will be watching your post as this is a concern I have also, not being able to see at night or be seen.

Besides bicycle lights, a headlamp like this would work.
My DH uses one for walking our dogs in winter when it’s dark. The ones he has are on an adjustable elastic headband. This is just one - there are all kinds on Amazon: Link: http://a.co/71O1ce6

We’ve also had neck lamps: Link: http://a.co/4YweRoq

With either, you could attach it to the front of the basket (take some twist ties or cable ties along)

Besides bicycle lights, a headlamp like this would work.
My DH uses one for walking our dogs in winter when it’s dark. The ones he has are on an adjustable elastic headband. This is just one - there are all kinds on Amazon: Link: http://a.co/71O1ce6

We’ve also had neck lamps: Link: http://a.co/4YweRoq

With either, you could attach it to the front of the basket (take some twist ties or cable ties along)
This is what my friend does with her ECV works grest for her

I think if you need a light on the front of your ECV you might be going a bit too quickly? Otherwise, why do ECVs need lights on them when pedestrians don't?

Oh @Euby! LOL I see what you did there! ;)

What I have for my Angus is a set of these - white on front, red on back - and it works great, because the tube that I mount them on is about the same size as a bike frame, and I have them down low, and pointed towards the ground to give me maximum visibility - as well as avoid blinding the stroller nuggets. If anyone decides to buy a set, be sure to add some extra batteries to the cart as well; the stores at WDW don't carry the CR2032 batteries.

But, your rental needs a slightly different solution. If I was in your shoes, here is what I would do!

First of all, I know that the temptation is to buy some big ol' honking LED lantern, and just strap that sucker right on the front - but you really don't want, or need that much light; after all, part of the charm of Disney after dark is how the landscape is lit, etc. We don't want to ruin or wash out any lighting effects that the Imagineers have dreamed up - really all you need is to be able to see any ramps, obstacles, puddles, or pot holes in your way, as well as terrain changes. And for that, a smaller bike light is just right.

The problem is mounting the style of light that I use on the larger diameter steering column; you would need a way to extend the strap of the light that I use that would be easy and quick. I could hack that together for myself, but I also know that others are interested in this solution, so I searched on!

I looked around Amazon, and I found this for you! From a close reading of the reviews and Q&A's I think you will be able to adjust the strap adequately - you can always take along some Velcro One-Wrap, and/or blue painters tape, to help keep it in place - and be sure to buy some AAA batteries to bring along (and carry a spare set with you in the Parks) because last time we were at WDW, the battery selection at most of the stores (both in Parks & Resorts) was pretty thin. Especially until you know how long the average set of fresh batteries will last, I would just keep a spare set on hand. (Important Pro tip: Whenever you carry batteries with you, be sure to use some blue painters tape - preferred because it won't leave residue - over both ends or terminals of the battery to prevent an accidental short.)

Although this is brighter than I would ordinarily recommend, by aiming it low so that it "washes" the ground ahead of you, it shouldn't be too obnoxious, and won't require you to carry tools or do anything too super crazy for installation!

Just like with our ECVs, remember to always turn off your light when you park or stop for any amount of time, and your headlight will last a LOT longer! :)

I hope you have a marvelous time on your next trip! :)

I think if you need a light on the front of your ECV you might be going a bit too quickly? Otherwise, why do ECVs need lights on them when pedestrians don't?

It's not at all about speed. Primarily it is to be able to see any ramps, obstacles, puddles, or pot holes in your way, as well as terrain changes; those can affect how the ECV operates.

Additionally, some people do have low-light vision issues; my sister-in-law, for example is functionally blind at WDW at night, everywhere except on Main Street at MK. The Parks are miserable for her after dark; but during the daytime she is fine. If she were to drive an ECV at night at WDW, she would most certainly need a good headlight.

It's not at all about speed. Primarily it is to be able to see any ramps, obstacles, puddles, or pot holes in your way, as well as terrain changes; those can affect how the ECV operates.

Additionally, some people do have low-light vision issues; my sister-in-law, for example is functionally blind at WDW at night, everywhere except on Main Street at MK. The Parks are miserable for her after dark; but during the daytime she is fine. If she were to drive an ECV at night at WDW, she would most certainly need a good headlight.

I agree with you completely. I found it very frightening to try to negotiate AK at night, with the bumpy terain, etc. no matter how slowly I went.

To add to what mamabunny and Simba's Mom said, I've heard the Pandora area in Animal Kingdom is quite dark at night, in order to preserve the theming. I can't remember which podcast it was, but on one of the Disney podcasts I listen to someone who was walking managed to hit their head on something in Pandora due to the low lighting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter