Off site vs CBR for family of 6

We will never stay onsite, I don’t think. We looooove Bonnet Creek, and we always have a car. I absolutely do not want to rely on anyone else for transportation. With three small children, a washer/dryer and a kitchen are not a luxury, but definitely a necessity for us. As are multiple rooms. I don’t “cook” on vacation either, but snacks and small easy meals (think hot dogs) are helpful for us. We rope drop, so sometimes we are back early and it’s helpful to have food to feed the kids dinner. For this stage of our life, it meets our needs perfectly.

I agree with most on this thread....you need to decide how YOU want to vacation. This is YOUR vacation. Personally, we NEVER vacation with family (I work with my family and see them on a daily basis...I don't need to vacation with them). The option of vacationing with my in laws was never a thought....that would not have been healthy for our relationship.

I do think you need to consider a separate location from the family. Staying onsite is a must for us. If I can't stay on site, I do not go.

Best of luck. Vacationing with extended family can be stressful. I hope everything works out and you have a wonderful trip.

Thank you all for your advice. I have gotten such a great mix of things to consider. Also, we told them up front when we were first talking about going that we weren’t going to stay with everyone and that we would pay for our own room. They could just pay for our tickets. Which are much cheaper with the military tickets. MIL is just incredibly insistent that it is a family vacation and she wants us to all be together. I am going to look into Bonnet Creek and talk with Dh about it.

I didn't finish reading all the post but could you do a split stay? Stay with them for a few days then switch to onsite?

Thank you all for your advice. I have gotten such a great mix of things to consider. Also, we told them up front when we were first talking about going that we weren’t going to stay with everyone and that we would pay for our own room. They could just pay for our tickets. Which are much cheaper with the military tickets. MIL is just incredibly insistent that it is a family vacation and she wants us to all be together. I am going to look into Bonnet Creek and talk with Dh about it.

Ugh that sounds like a nightmare. (Not to judge strangers based on posts on an internet forum, but it's my version of a nightmare). I wish you luck.

The kitchen. Everyone has this image of "cooking" on vacation and how they dread it. Well, it's what you make of it. If you want to spend hours over a hot stove, you can. But why would you? If you want, you don't have to cook a single thing, you could always eat out or order in

.DW and I spend that time together talking, laughing, and the kids get involved too. Same with "cleaning". We don't polish furniture, scrub floors, nothing. That's why there's a cleaning fee for the house/condo we rent.
Agree with all this! And with young kids my idea of a "relaxing" dinner isn't to try to get everyone to sit still for over an hour, not whine constantly when they are hungry and dinner is still a ways out as seating is running behind, etc.

I think there is such a thing as too much togetherness. Especially if your ideas of what a vacation is are very different, which it sounds like they are.

Yea-we have vacationed with In-laws before but we had our own units, and they didn't stay as long as we did.
OTOH-6 days in a single room with kids is the absolute max my DH will tolerate-and that is really pushing it. So that is our idea of too much togetherness LOL

First off I 100% understand not wanting to share a house with others. Been there done that with Hubby's family and barely lived to tell about it. Never again! We still vacation together every few years but never under the same roof. Space and separation are a very good thing for our sanity.
LOL! For me it depends on which set of in-laws...Went on a girls trip to WDW this past October with DH mom and sister-had a blast!
We get this discussed before we book and leave home

THIS may actually be the most important piece of advice regardless of whether you stay with family or not. Differing UNSAID expectations can taint any vacation!!!

MIL is just incredibly insistent that it is a family vacation and she wants us to all be together. I am going to look into Bonnet Creek and talk with Dh about it.

Maybe BC would be a good compromise and your family could have own unit.
Also-uber is incredibly easy and fairly cheap to get to/from parks if peeps go at differing times.

My DH dad and step mom came down with our kids a few years ago (DH and I were already in Orlando for a work conference) and they stayed a couple days. We ended up in different offsite resorts, but the times in the park with the kids/grandparents my son STILL talks about (4 years ago now). He loved that Grandma liked the same rides he did, they did Star Tours 4 x in a row and when they caught up with rest of us those 2 were giggling like crazy. Priceless memory. We had a very loose/relaxed touring schedule, a couple sit down meals, and no must-do-or-die expectations.

So don't discount your MiL desire to have a "family" vacation, but do be clear on expectations-including what the MiL is expecting :) Good luck and have fun!

I hadn't even considered uber--the cost of parking versus an uber to Bonnet Creek or Windsor Hills would probably be a wash.

I've never stayed at Bonnet Creek, but it looks lovely--tons of resort amenities, plus on-site dining so you wouldn't have to cook.

Based on this I would opt out of this trip, or at the very least have a long conversation with MIL about expectations. Keeping "everyone together" all the time with that large a group at WDW could be a recipe for disaster. I know when I have been part of groups we just HAVE to split up at times. Keeps everyone sane and gives people the opportunity to do things others don't want to. Good luck, and I hope that everyone can come to a compromise that makes it enjoyable for all!

If your in-laws are paying it isn't really YOUR vacation its THEIR vacation and you are playing a supporting role. If you are not okay with that, then don't go at all. I certainly would not accept park tickets and then go do my own thing. I guess I am with your MIL on this one. She has a vision for a family vacation with everyone staying together. Can't you make that happen for the sake of your family? If not, get out of the plan now or you will ALL be miserable.

One suggestion. Go along with your MIL plans but use the money you would have spent on a hotel to plan your own family "do-ever" vacation. Just go with the flow knowing that in 3 months (or whenever) you are going back and making all your own choices. And, for what its worth......you couldn't pay me enough to stay in a moderate hotel room with 5-6 people. And remember, that even if this isn't your idea of a great vacation, you will be making priceless memories for your kids and their grandparents. Sometimes that trumps my own personal desires. Actually, a lot of times.

1) In-laws...I recommend a Disney Cruise instead of DW with such a big group, of the cost isn’t an issue.
It sounds like there is already stress in simply planning the DW trip. What will actually traveling together be like?

The best trip our family has done with in-laws was the Disney Cruise. We were together when we wanted to be and separate when we needed alone time. It was well worth the cost.

2) Age of inlaws matters. My MIL is almost 80, so every chance we get to be all together is worth the difficulty because it could be the last time we are all together.

3) Will your kids love being with their grands and cousins? Moments together matter so very much.

4) What will you want when you become the MIL to your sons family and his wife doesn’t want to stay with you and his siblings family?

If your in-laws are paying it isn't really YOUR vacation its THEIR vacation and you are playing a supporting role. If you are not okay with that, then don't go at all. I certainly would not accept park tickets and then go do my own thing. I guess I am with your MIL on this one. She has a vision for a family vacation with everyone staying together. Can't you make that happen for the sake of your family? If not, get out of the plan now or you will ALL be miserable.

One suggestion. Go along with your MIL plans but use the money you would have spent on a hotel to plan your own family "do-ever" vacation. Just go with the flow knowing that in 3 months (or whenever) you are going back and making all your own choices. And, for what its worth......you couldn't pay me enough to stay in a moderate hotel room with 5-6 people. And remember, that even if this isn't your idea of a great vacation, you will be making priceless memories for your kids and their grandparents. Sometimes that trumps my own personal desires. Actually, a lot of times.

I would agree only if the OP knows ahead of time that they will be able to relax and enjoy the vacation. Trying to force yourself to do something you know will make you miserable? Ick.

I would typically agree that a moderate with 5 or 6 is no fun. Been there, done that. But I would do that rather than trying to force myself and my family to enjoy a vacation that I knew was not their idea of fun. I'd maybe only go if another trip in the not so distant future was possible. Stay off site now, go back for 5 days later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter