Official 2014 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare, Half Marathon, 10k, and 5k Thread!

First Disney Race and First Half Marathon quick recap and thoughts. As an uber planner and over analyzer I did a lot of homework on this race, Disney races in general, halfs etc. I was prepared for horrible lines, chaos, all kinds of things. My impressions as a total newbie to the distance and runDisney. New to running still really, I only started in April of 2013 as a reluctant concession to the fact I could no longer doing other things and well, at my age, I needed impact resistance. Doing the DL half was a "reward" for having to run in the first place. I would have run regardless but finagling an extra Disney trip by doing so was definitely a bonus prize.

Expo:
My only real issue with the expo and packet pickup is the lack of directional signage to get you there in the first place and to clearly mark where packet pick up is, versus the expo itself and noting what was in the packet pick up area (pre-buy items and GET travel) versus at the expo which ended up making it a 2 trip outing to the pickup area as a result. Was it a big deal? No but signs would have been helpful. Lines? Non existent. That included getting a pair of the new balance shoes (in and out in 15, would have been less but decided to try a pair on) and the official race merchandise (which included getting a refund on my Dooney pre-buy purchase to get the passholder discount applied). Longest/slowest line we experienced was at the Raw Threads booth! I liked that Clif had samples out of what they were handing out during the race as it helped to decide if you wanted to take anything or not.

Merchandise: For me, I thought it was actually better than expected. Then again, I didn't have high expectations and as a result bought more than I thought I would. I was disappointed that there was no coffee cup and no generic run Disney items available but it wasn't a big deal. I did not see any shortages of anything, including the Dooney's, I had tons of patterns to choose from and while I didn't "have" to pre-buy, I was glad I did.

Best tip from the expo: You can walk down the stairs near the expo entry, into the women’s bathroom. It has a door on the other side. Which enters right into the parking lot aka packet pick up area. Super cool shortcut.

Race Day Timing: We were up at 3:30 and left for the corrals at 4:30. From our hotel (Anabella) that was perfect, it is a 15 min or less walk. We still had time to hit the porta potties before heading to the corrals, take some pictures etc., and get to the corrals before it became difficult to do so.

Corrals: As a newbie it was a little confusing at first to get in the right "lane", we had to backtrack a little to get to our feeder chute. Once in the right lane though, it was easy and we were early enough that at the time we went in, I didn't see people trying to sneak ahead or congestion. I was pleasantly surprised to see more porta potties near the corrals, though there were not very many of them.

Cool pre-race moment:
I decided to take advantage of those porta potties. The lines at that point were long, only time I had much of a line on race day for anything. People walking to corrals would occasionally "cut" into a porta potty when it opened before the person in the line could cross the stream of people. Our line developed a blocking strategy. I was chatting with the girl behind me and as we got closer to the front realized she was an elite runner (bib number under 20). Complete with Ariel skirt and all. Super sweet, normal, a bit nervous. At this point I think we had 8 minutes till the start. I told her to go ahead of me. She would be starting before I would! The look of thanks on her face was priceless. She had been about to bail out of the line. I confess, I checked her time this morning. 1:36!!!!! I cannot even imagine.

Less cool pre-race moment:
As I made my way back to my corral, with maybe 4 minutes till the start, I could hardly get in and I noticed several people right outside the entry that were wearing bibs for corrals several letters back ( I was in C, these were F bibs). That totally bummed me out. There is simply too many runners and not enough volunteers at the gates for them to fully police entry, though they certainly tried. I did manage to get in, thankfully, and find my friend who had stayed in the corral while I braved the line. I did give up my stretching time with that choice which wasn't ideal but I don't think made a huge difference.

Race start: For me, this went very smooth! For those wanting to know I can tell you that they started A&B together and then C&D. From what I have read it sounds like the later corrals were also sent out 2 at a time which seems a bit much people wise. We were a bit surprised at no fireworks when the wheelchairs went, only a few during the national anthem.

Course and congestions: In general I did not experience much congestion. However, overall the group seemed to move quite a bit slower at the start than I had expected, the first 2 miles were definitely "full" but you could run and then boom you are in the parks. I guess I expected a sub 2 corral to start out much closer to that pace (and as a result really wasn't tracking) and was a bit shocked when I looked down and realized just how off the pack was, at that point I did not see a ton of passing, just the group moving basically together. My bad I guess for not checking sooner and doing my own passing but the slower start was not what I needed to hit the lower side of my goal range. I absolutely loved running through the parks and seeing what characters were out. I know many were disappointed with the volume and which characters but since it was my first, it was all good! LOVED seeing the step sisters on the carousel, the villains and the horses over in Frontierland. World of Color was absolutely magical, as was Carsland and of course, running though the castle! In general for our group, the lines looked minimal for most characters except for the storm troopers and the villans. I didn't stop for any characters but did stop to take a couple of horrible selfies at World of Color and then again at Angels Stadium. Once out of the parks, the on course support was really something else. Band after band after band, cheerleaders, dancers, the classic cars, I just loved it. I did have to take 2 bio breaks (a total bummer and a time killer, I think a combo of over hydration the day before and the humidity) and both were outside of the parks. Zero lines and tons of porta potties the entire course. Unfortunately I also had to stop to trade out my lenses. I run with prescription sports sunglasses normally. They have magnetic lenses that I can swap out for clear or other tints as needed. I wear the clear for night running and with the pitch black start I just wasn't comfortable going without, it would have made me crazy. I know I would have hit a road divider thing and done a face plant. LOL! I expected the sun to burn off the clouds and even if it didn't, for the brighter cloud glare to bother me so I swapped lenses at about the 10k mark which definitely cost me some time as well, awkward to do with sweaty hands. Tons of water stops, I think I hit 7 out of the 8? I was surprised how BIG the cups of water were. I actually wish they had been smaller, I didn't need the full cup but drank it all a couple of times simply as it was there. It was cool to see some supporters that were there early in the race, clearly move and then be there again at the end. My favorite though was the small frozen sponges that team MousePlanet was handing out. That was a magical moment!

A lot of folks I know did not like the Santa Ana trail part of the course, I actually liked it a lot, and I loved loved running through the stadium. After that though I do admit, the last 3 miles are well, a bit tedious. On course support was there but the course itself was somehow more "meh" than the pre-stadium part even though it was all city streets both times. Still, it was pretty darn sweet to cross that finish line and complete my first half. I am glad it was at Disney. It was on the high side of the range I'd set for myself at 2:13:35 but given the 2 bio breaks, the glasses lens change, a couple of selfies, walking the water stops and just some walking in general I am very ok with it and was still within my overall goal range. And honestly, even though it was wicked humid, I had zero swelling in my hands and I'll take the bio breaks over the swelling if I have to. It is a PR as it was my first, I definitely hope to improve it at Princess.

Finish and post race:
I thought this was well done. I liked that there was a split for pictures or no pictures and loved the cold wet towel we were given right away. I was absolutely fine with the water and banana, and also the mocha gel I'd snagged at mile 8 deliberately to enjoy at the end. The box was fine too, I ate some of it on the plane ride home! The free flip flop booth was fun, I am not sure I'd wait for that again but it was kind of neat.

Gear check: I did gear check and was SO happy I did. I had developed a rather nasty blood blister around mile 10 (which also impacted pace those last 3 miles) and it was heaven to be able to put on my flip flops immediately. I had really worried it would be a hassle and it was completely painless at both drop off and pick up.

Key learning moment post race: Bring cash. There was massage and immediate medal engraving. I would have done both but had not brought cash (the idea of sweaty soggy bills kind of grossed me out but my debit card did me no favors post race lol).

Weather: It was WICKED humid. For us I think it was about 70 at race start and likely stayed the same the entire race, about 72 by the end. With cloud cover YAY! However the humidity was around 90%. I know the clouds burned off at about the 3 hour mark and it got hot quickly but the humidity dropped almost immediately too.

Post race in the parks: A lot less folks wearing medals than expected both Sunday and Monday. As a newbie I was very surprised to be congratulated on my marathon…when it was just a half. And that happened a lot. We were lucky enough to have a special outing with friends to the Club 33 Jazz Lounge post-race. We saw FAR more medals there than anywhere all day, I guess a lot of members were treating racers to the experience.

Hotel: We stayed at the Anabella and I was very very happy with the hotel, the room, the pool, the location, and the price. Of course I’d prefer to be on property. But my wallet was thrilled with the value for the money where we did stay and we enjoyed a lovely, spacious, quiet room with a super comfy bed and slept well.

I'd do this race again in a heartbeat. In fact, now that I realize it is the 10th anniversary of the race next year, AND DL's 60th…I might HAVE to. I was lucky enough to do this with a friend who was placed in my same corral, it was pretty magical to share it with someone. Even though we didn't run exactly "together" (by our choice) we were able to share the experience from start to finish and that was wonderful. I can't wait to do it again at Princess.

I'd do this race again in a heartbeat. In fact, now that I realize it is the 10th anniversary of the race next year, AND DL's 60th…I might HAVE to.

Ack! Thanks for pointing out that the 10th anniversary next year comes right after and during the 60th anniversary celebrations. For some reason my brain hadn't put 2 and 2 together. I highly doubt I can talk myself out of it now!

BTW, does anyone remember how long it usually takes Marathon Foto to get all of the images sorted? They've got my photo with my friends before the start and my photo with my medal at the end posted, but that's about it so far. I already know I have nothing with the castle (photographer was changing things out on his camera as I was passing - probably the most disheartening moment for me the entire course) but I'd hope for at least something more, lol.

Just wanted to post to say ENJOY THE WEEKEND EVERYONE! We're headed out on a nonstop from the east coast this morning. As usual I'm hard to miss, so feel free to say hi. :woohoo:

Did you run with the Mickey hands during the half this year as well? If so, I was running along side you for a lot of the race. I recall the announcer at the stadium saying something about "here's the guy with the biggest set of hands in the race." Was that you?

Free flip flop booth??????? Augh I was so messed up after the run I noticed nothing. DH and DS are new at supporting me post run so didn't know to look around and make sure I don't miss something like free flip flops.

Sunday and Monday I felt like the medals were just too heavy to wear. Monday later on I noticed people just wearing C2C and I thought that was a good idea. Today I didn't think it felt like it weighed 10 lbs so I wore it. Not many of us but enough!

The medal did fun things on TOT. :). I remembered that from the TOT run last year (not that I rode that night but a few days later).

Did you run with the Mickey hands during the half this year as well? If so, I was running along side you for a lot of the race. I recall the announcer at the stadium saying something about "here's the guy with the biggest set of hands in the race." Was that you?

Also me. ::yes::

I had been chasing a girl in a Minnie outfit for like four miles at that point, she'd already passed me like five times in the parks but was stopping for character pics, then left me for dead after 10k but I was able to slowly reel her in by the stadium thanks to gravity working on the steep downhill bits.

Glad to hear it's not the norm in runDisney races, though! And I'm glad it looks like everyone enjoyed the race regardless. :)

Isn't it..? I've seen that happen in all three races I have done at DL with corrals so far. I wish they could figure it out! :confused3 I was pretty bummed that I was still stuck timewise even after all the improvements I have been seeing in my time at home. Having to dodge all the corral jumpers and walk more than I intended due to the 5 across groups makes it almost impossible from the lower letters. I really wish I could move up, but I have been told that there is no proof of time for the 10K races so I am worried I'll still be in the back for the Star Wars 10K in Jan. It's tempting to join the jumpers to have a fair shot at keeping pace during the race, but I can't bring myself to be one of those people. :sad1:

I will say that I have not seen the corral jumping happen at the WDW races to the extent I have seen it talked about here. There might have been a few here and there at the races I have attended, but this seems more like a widespread practice at DL races. My wife ran the half and reported seeing some of the same things.

I am not sure why it seems so much more an issue at DL than it does at WDW. Is it because there are not enough volunteers to handle checking of bibs, or is it something in the way the corral entry is set up?

RunDisney could always take a hard line stance and write something into their policy that anyone caught in a corral that they are not supposed to be in would be immediately disqualified from the race. Due to customer service issues, this will probably never happen. However, it sounds like they do need to do something to fix the problem or the people lining up correctly will become more and more frustrated over time.

I will say that I have not seen the corral jumping happen at the WDW races to the extent I have seen it talked about here. There might have been a few here and there at the races I have attended, but this seems more like a widespread practice at DL races. My wife ran the half and reported seeing some of the same things.

I am not sure why it seems so much more an issue at DL than it does at WDW. Is it because there are not enough volunteers to handle checking of bibs, or is it something in the way the corral entry is set up?

RunDisney could always take a hard line stance and write something into their policy that anyone caught in a corral that they are not supposed to be in would be immediately disqualified from the race. Due to customer service issues, this will probably never happen. However, it sounds like they do need to do something to fix the problem or the people lining up correctly will become more and more frustrated over time.

WDW had small entrances to the corrals and gate keepers at each one checking bibs. I didn't see any of that at DL. :confused3

Tinker Bell was WAY better patrolled as far as corrals go, but it's also a smaller race. At tink they barricaded the walkway between each corral so just to get from d to c to b (etc) you had to have your bib checked at each stop to proceed. That was totally effective.

DL was definitely more hectic. They shouldn't have had teenage volunteers at the corral stations, that's for sure.

(Granted, it never crossed my mind that people would be that determined to get in to closer corrals, so I didn't see any rule breakers in corral D. But man alive, how ridiculously rude.)

Ack! Thanks for pointing out that the 10th anniversary next year comes right after and during the 60th anniversary celebrations. For some reason my brain hadn't put 2 and 2 together. I highly doubt I can talk myself out of it now!

I hadn't either and saw it somewhere and went OH NO!

LOL.

BTW, does anyone remember how long it usually takes Marathon Foto to get all of the images sorted? They've got my photo with my friends before the start and my photo with my medal at the end posted, but that's about it so far. I already know I have nothing with the castle (photographer was changing things out on his camera as I was passing - probably the most disheartening moment for me the entire course) but I'd hope for at least something more, lol.

I heard a week, I know today a ton of new finish line ones showed up for me, hopefully more will continue to trickle in.

Free flip flop booth??????? Augh I was so messed up after the run I noticed nothing. DH and DS are new at supporting me post run so didn't know to look around and make sure I don't miss something like free flip flops.

Well they aren't all that great lol! It was a custom thing, you had to give them your info, pick a color for the bottom, color for the top and a "design" for the top. Which either said "finisher" or "13.1". Nothing race specific. Then while you waited you could get your picture in front of a green screen and theoretically you'd get an email with a souvenir picture.

I don't believe anyone has received the picture yet, I know I have not and they are pretty cheapo flip flops lol.

Sunday and Monday I felt like the medals were just too heavy to wear. Monday later on I noticed people just wearing C2C and I thought that was a good idea. Today I didn't think it felt like it weighed 10 lbs so I wore it. Not many of us but enough!

The medal did fun things on TOT. :). I remembered that from the TOT run last year (not that I rode that night but a few days later).

The medal did some not so fun things to me. It is likely my sundress, not the medal but I've emailed runDisney to confirm. I have some supremely annoying fabric/contact allergies and my neck is a wreck now. :confused3

I think it was both, at least from where we were. Bascially you had a lane that everyone walked down and then you'd enter your corral from there. At each "turn off" there were maybe 2-3 volunteers stationed checking bib numbers. Combine that with relatively wide openings for how many volunteers, there is no way they could catch everyone. And, combine that with the folks that actually were "in" the corral not getting all close and friendly, then the entry spilled out into the feeder areas and that made it a lot easier for jumping I think as at a certain point there was no clear entry anywhere.

Unless it is a roped off access and they allow in that way, I can't see how they can really keep people from cheating like that. It is unfortunate.

WDW had small entrances to the corrals and gate keepers at each one checking bibs. I didn't see any of that at DL. :confused3

The entries were too big for the numbers of people checking bibs.

Tinker Bell was WAY better patrolled as far as corrals go, but it's also a smaller race. At tink they barricaded the walkway between each corral so just to get from d to c to b (etc) you had to have your bib checked at each stop to proceed. That was totally effective.

DL was definitely more hectic. They shouldn't have had teenage volunteers at the corral stations, that's for sure.

(Granted, it never crossed my mind that people would be that determined to get in to closer corrals, so I didn't see any rule breakers in corral D. But man alive, how ridiculously rude.)

A LOT more teenagers volunteer at races than adults, so a lot of races have no choice, but to use them at corrals. These are nice, polite kids giving up their day. I know some volunteers were cursed at by adults who should know better.:confused3 There was an adult male runDisney employee at corral G and he was definitely checking, but people were slipping through the fence on the other side of the corral.

The corral jumping happened in more than just the G corral. It happened in H too. A lot of people stood at the just before the opening and as soon as we started moving, they jumped in.

I was thinking "I didn't see corral jumpers" but then we were in I so we wouldn't have! There were a ton of people still coming in for I and J when we started that's for sure!

It's amazing how many times we were moved up. We thought we had filled in the space, then the volunteers would tell everyone to move up, and each time we moved up by multiple feet. This was definitely a problem caused by the very front of the corrals because those of us in my area were pretty squashed in even from the first time we were all told to move forward.

Free flip flops are fun even if cheap. :)

I haven't actually worn the half medal. Was so heavy and my shoulders were sooooo painful after I stopped running that I had to take it off.

Dermatitis is no fun! I did notice that the Velcro was painful on my neck though.

I will say that I have not seen the corral jumping happen at the WDW races to the extent I have seen it talked about here. There might have been a few here and there at the races I have attended, but this seems more like a widespread practice at DL races.

I only ran the 10k, but in that race 10-15 min before race time the course officials were actually directing people with lower corral letters into higher ones due to overcrowding and slow moving racers causing backups at the entrance to the corrals.

I have to think it was a good thing so that everyone was organized into some corral in time for the race to start.

Here are some tips that might help anyone reading this thread for next year:

* You can visit the expo before you pickup your race packet. I visited first thing on Thursday while most people were at packet pickup. It was a mostly empty Expo with everything still in stock. I even had a chance to talk and take pictures with Jeff Galloway with no line at all. I waited until the late afternoon to pickup my packet when there was no line for that.

* The Expo/Packet pickup seems to assume you are coming in via the "front" of the Disneyland hotel, ie from the Mickey and friends parking garage. If you are coming from Downtown Disney you are coming in the back door. Not really a problem, but there was no signage to point your way. Just go out the front entrance of the hotel and down the ramp for package pickup.

* They sell stuff at the expo. Bring money.

* On race day, Shuttle buses from the neighborhood hotels drop you off at the far end of the esplanade. You get to walk across the esplanade (complete with bag check) past the park entrances and through all of downtown Disney before taking a right hand turn by the ESPN zone down to the pre-race pen and corrals. Allow time for that walk.

* Bag check and porta potties are located in the Pre-race pen.

* Other than that nothing, and I mean nothing interesting happens in the pre-race pen. Next year I'm just heading directly for the corrals.

*Corrals are NOT located in a parking lot. they are on Disneyland Dr. itself north of the start line. You can only get to them by heading east along Magic way.

* Prior to corral opening time we were held up at the corner of Downtown Dr. and Magic way. If you want to be at the front of your corral that's where you want to be, the earlier the better.

* On the way to the corrals the street divides. Early corrals to the right, later ones to the left.

* Gates to the corrals open at 4:30am (not!) they are always a bit late.

* The start of the race is up hill for just a bit be ready for that.

* Sweep time starts when the last runner enters the course.

race.png

So there are a few Select T-shirts from the weekend available on the Disney Store website for anyone who may have missed out.

The one I linked to is the men's Dumbo "I Did It" shirt. Did I miss a "tech" version of this tshirt at the expo? The one I bought was just a regular tshirt. I bought the men's and not women's because I don't like white regular shirts. They stain too easy. The women's version on the site also says its a "performance" shirt, and I'm tempted to get it because I really like it better than the men's shirt I bought at the expo.

So, did I miss these or are they different? Or is it possible the Disney Store is lying to me and if I order the white shirt it will be a regular shirt?

Here are some tips that might help anyone reading this thread for next year:

* You can visit the expo before you pickup your race packet. I visited first thing on Thursday while most people were at packet pickup. It was a mostly empty Expo with everything still in stock. I even had a chance to talk and take pictures with Jeff Galloway with no line at all. I waited until the late afternoon to pickup my packet when there was no line for that.

* The Expo/Packet pickup seems to assume you are coming in via the "front" of the Disneyland hotel, ie from the Mickey and friends parking garage. If you are coming from Downtown Disney you are coming in the back door. Not really a problem, but there was no signage to point your way. Just go out the front entrance of the hotel and down the ramp for package pickup.

* They sell stuff at the expo. Bring money.

It's all good info. The above was the stuff that spoke to me especially. :)

My brother was convinced that we had to get bibs, etc, first. We had parked in the lot between PPH and DLH, so walked through DLH grounds and into the convention room building. He saw people standing in front of doors once we were inside, and figured we couldn't go in to the expo-proper yet. I'm short and can't always see over things, and it's the nature of our relationship that he generally gets his way (since he's nearly always right it just works out better). So when we saw the signs to go outside (and down the ramp) for bibs, we did that. :)

If we had parked more in front of the hotel it would have been obviously to go there. So we got the bibs first and I totally spaced on buying park tickets from GET at that time. Found the way up and into the expo. Got shirts, wandered around. Only THEN noticed the rather long line for the official merchandise.

Thoughts on that...ridiculous. WHY have this taped off line? My brother has done much bigger races than this, with far more people at an expo at one time. He was mystified as to why this area had to be all by itself and with a line. All it does is make you think it's exclusive. I don't use the word hype, because usually people misuse that (like the "hype" over Anna and Elsa, or TSMM, etc...when hype means there's something false going on, and excitement over those things is because they are good and fun things that people like) but this is Disney creating a feeling of exclusivity, that you have to line up for these things. They are creating a hype over something that, when you read the comments, just wasn't all that exciting. And it wasn't necessary.

But I wanted one specific thing, so we got in that line. 55 minutes later I had the thing purchased and we were on our way back to my brother's.

That was Thursday, by the way.

When I went back on Saturday around 1? (to buy tickets for the parks, but I also wanted to see if I'd missed anything) Almost no one was there and there was absolutely NO line for the official merchandise, and there was actually MORE stock of everything.:upsidedow

Hi all,

Disneyland Half weekend very brief review (**completely** swamped at work today):

Disappointment and Frustration: All my fault!!...

(1) Didn't get to sleep at all Thursday night, slept through Friday meet-up :(

(2) For the duration of my stay at Disneyland Resort (Fri-Wed), neither the on-property wifi or old iPhone/Verizon allowed me to use Disboards app for the entire trip, so no online communication (could be resolved with the acquisition of a 21st century phone).

Race Weekend experience:

For the 10K and Half, left DL hotel at 4:30am, walked through pre-race pen for final bio break, walked to front of corral, visited for 45 minutes with familiar faces from 2014 WDW Marathon weekend races, enjoyed both courses.

Potential for runDisney improvement:

(1) Encourage people to start based on their pace, even within the corrals. Notorious at runDisney races are folks who go out very fast and then poop-out in the first 500 meters to 2 miles. It is not so fun to constantly run around slower runners (it's taxing and dangerous, too).

(2) Encourage the use of garbage cans for cups and cups with liquid in them. At the first water stop, a runner just ahead of me spiked a semi-full cup of water :( I was very surprised, too, at how wet and cup-littered the first water station was, even after only the first couple hundred runners.

(3) Have MarathonPhoto photographers and Disney Characters out and ready to go for all runners, even the early corrals. While I have come to expect an absence of photographers and characters early on in the race, I would sure enjoy more of both.

I really, really, really enjoyed the entire race weekend.

(2) Encourage the use of garbage cans for cups and cups with liquid in them. At the first water stop, a runner just ahead of me spiked a semi-full cup of water :( I was very surprised, too, at how wet and cup-littered the first water station was, even after only the first couple hundred runners.

Isn't that interesting? I started in Corral I and came in just under 3 hours, and I found the water stations to be remarkably CLEAR of cup litter! I was thinking how much better the runners in Anaheim were vs Orlando, as I remember TOT and WDW Half being nearly landmines from all the smashed cups.

And only one guy dumped water on his head when I was immediately behind him. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter