Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

I crossed the line and had a finish time of 2:58:20, 12 minutes below my BQ time and a 17-minute PR. I ended up with a negative split of 3:36 which is HUGE…my half marathon PR is 1:29:16 and I ran a 1:27:22 second half. Incredible. I ended up coming in 52nd overall (out of nearly 20,000 finishers) and I felt amazing afterwards. I have never felt so good during or after a marathon!

This is amazing! Congratulations!! I know I will never be even close to that (and have no desire to honestly), but it is still so motivating!

LONG POST ALERT!!! I really enjoyed sharing the lead up to the race with everyone here, so figured I would share my story...

I crossed the line and had a finish time of 2:58:20, 12 minutes below my BQ time and a 17-minute PR. I ended up with a negative split of 3:36 which is HUGE…my half marathon PR is 1:29:16 and I ran a 1:27:22 second half. Incredible. I ended up coming in 52nd overall (out of nearly 20,000 finishers) and I felt amazing afterwards. I have never felt so good during or after a marathon!
770157_1001_0006%25255B4%25255D.jpg

Mike, that's awesome thanks for posting that. I wondered what your race was like - I guessed you might be the 2:58 guy from the results. Great job smoking your BQ.

I made my goal of a sub-4 hour time in my first marathon (3:52:35). I was having a ball and negative splitting the race up to mile 20, and thought I could possibly make sub 3:50. The bottom dropped out for me, unfortunately, at mile 24 and the last 5k was a struggle for survival.

The Dis Marathon was absolutely exhilirating. I talked my daughter into doing the half next year and I'm going to try the Goofy.

I'll say again the Dis Marathon was an absolute blast and I'm determined to do more Disney races next January.

I do have bone to pick, however - I made it running past the finish line but could barely walk post-race. I was headed for the monorail but the signage was poor, I ended up at the buses and had to backtrack.

There was no place to sit, just bare parking lot to struggle across, and I knew if I plopped down on the blacktop I'd never get up again. It took me 40 minutes to hobble to the monorail, taking a break at a Downs Syndrome charity booth where they were kind enough to let me sit in one of their chairs. They also had to hoist me out of it when it was time to move on.

I probably should have requested a golf cart to the monorail after the race, given my physical condition, but since I wasn't dizzy or disoriented I figured I could make it. But no place to sit after you just ran 26.2 miles?? What's up with that? I was not thinking kind thoughts about Mickey while I struggled across the parking lot. It was as painful as the last 10k.

congrats to Mike for your awesome run. That is quite an accomplishment.
How many marathons have you run before this one and how long have you been running? Not sure I will ever flirt with a sub 3 marathon but will certainly take advice from someone that just did! :)

But no place to sit after you just ran 26.2 miles?? What's up with that? I was not thinking kind thoughts about Mickey while I struggled across the parking lot. It was as painful as the last 10k.

Not sure about what direction you went after finishing, but there were plenty of chairs in the finishing area over near the information tent, the beer truck, and the Dj & character photo areas. We went over there to change into dry clothes and gu e our feet & legs a break before walking out to our car.

Not sure about what direction you went after finishing, but there were plenty of chairs in the finishing area over near the information tent, the beer truck, and the Dj & character photo areas. We went over there to change into dry clothes and gu e our feet & legs a break before walking out to our car.

I got through the medal picture and saw a sign for "bag check" pointing left and "no bag check" pointing straight ahead. Those seemed to be the only options. I didn't see any beer trucks, Disney characters or any other signs indicating where beer and seats might be. Not having checked a bag, I followed the "no bag check" route which led me to the buses. But I needed the monorail, which on asking someone I discovered was in the opposite direction. Turning around, all I saw was a large empty parking lot. Were the beer trucks, etc., on the other side of the bag check?

I got through the medal picture and saw a sign for "bag check" pointing left and "no bag check" pointing straight ahead. Those seemed to be the only options. I didn't see any beer trucks, Disney characters or any other signs indicating where beer and seats might be. Not having checked a bag, I followed the "no bag check" route which led me to the buses. But I needed the monorail, which on asking someone I discovered was in the opposite direction. Turning around, all I saw was a large empty parking lot. Were the beer trucks, etc., on the other side of the bag check?

:lmao: You must have been in a post-marathon fog! Kidding aside, if you just kept walking and looking straight ahead after you got your medal, it would be easy to miss. The beer truck and all of that were right next to the finish line, which is a little annoying because you had to go through the finish chute and then turn around and walk all the way back. The race retreat was over there, too.

I would have appreciated better signage, but I could have simply asked someone, which I didn't. Why I don't know... maybe the natural male reticence to ask for help. Wasn't thinking too clearly in the circumstances!

But it's a small thing. The Disney Marathon was so much fun I absolutely have to do it again...

:lmao: You must have been in a post-marathon fog! Kidding aside, if you just kept walking and looking straight ahead after you got your medal, it would be easy to miss. The beer truck and all of that were right next to the finish line, which is a little annoying because you had to go through the finish chute and then turn around and walk all the way back. The race retreat was over there, too.

Well I certainly was in a bit of a fog given my physical condition... and I didn't turn around but kept walking straight. Part of that was conditioning from previous races where they want you to hustle out of the finish area to make room for the people coming in behind you... and in a race this big that's thousands of people in that little area. So I was trying to be a good boy and get out of the way... had no idea I walked right by all that stuff in the finish area. Not a big deal, and I won't miss it next year!

Congratulations Mike! That is AWESOME!

You finished approximately 9000 runners ahead of me. (but those 9000 were bunched together pretty close)

:lmao: You must have been in a post-marathon fog!

Fog? Maybe it's the fog that prevents me from having any clue whether the powerade I drank at every single water stop was the yellow I used for training or the blue that's otherwise my favorite!

We tried to exit near the race retreat, but ended up circling back again around the fences and past the bag check area to the monorail. My family was unhappy about that, but after running 26.2, I didn't really mind going around.

Thanks everyone! I really enjoyed following everyone else's journey to the start line and hearing about the amazing accomplishments so many of us achieved...if you need to be inspired just read the WISH section of the DIS Boards!

Slogger (since you asked ;) ), I've been running for 3 years and this was my third marathon...I ran Chicago in 2013 and did Goofy in 2014. If you're looking to better your time just keep working hard and train your butt off...it doesn't come easily but the feeling you reach your goals is off the charts!

Mike....thanks for the response. I've been running almost 3 years too, and this was my 4th marathon! Understand about the training process, I stepped it up last year and increased workouts and mileage for my October marathon but took it easy at Disney and had fun in the parks too.

Mike- loved your report .. thanks for sharing it. Congrats on an amazing BQ!
And for all that think they are going crazy... I had blue powerade for sure at the first water stop on Sunday and I know at least 2 more I hit were blue. I thought it was a Full marathon perk! ;) I loved the blue and also feel like a few of my yellows were not as watered down as usual.

I can't remember who it was, but THANK YOU to whoever recommended the Athleta Be Free running capris! I tried them out and am in love!!! I wore them during the Half Marathon and loved that I didn't have to bring a running belt. Everything I needed fit in those amazing pockets! I actually have 3 pair of them now! Lol. :D

I can't remember who it was, but THANK YOU to whoever recommended the Athleta Be Free running capris! I tried them out and am in love!!! I wore them during the Half Marathon and loved that I didn't have to bring a running belt. Everything I needed fit in those amazing pockets! I actually have 3 pair of them now! Lol. :D

It was me! Aren't they fantastic! I wore them both days! I hate running in anything else... I'm on a mission to get them to make them in shorts 5" would be perfect if you agree send them a message. I was told by a customer service rep they Love taking ideas from customer requests! So glad they worked for you!

It was me! Aren't they fantastic! I wore them both days! I hate running in anything else... I'm on a mission to get them to make them in shorts 5" would be perfect if you agree send them a message. I was told by a customer service rep they Love taking ideas from customer requests! So glad they worked for you!

Are you ladies talking about these? My friend has been looking for a pair of running capris with pockets so I want to make sure I point her in the right direction. Thanks!!! :goodvibes

Are you ladies talking about these? My friend has been looking for a pair of running capris with pockets so I want to make sure I point her in the right direction. Thanks!!! :goodvibes

YUP! I like the patterned ones, they DO NOT SHOW SWEAT! Can I get an AMEN? I did not use a belt, even for the marathon... I carried (all in these pockets mind you) my iphone 6plus, 2 packs of gu chomps, 4 gu gels, baggie with salt sticks, my ipod, my chill towel, and my ID and cash in the back zipper. I also tucked my ear warmer in the side pockets when I was done with it and my gloves on and off before dumping them completely. :thumbsup2

Yes! They are fantastic! I also got the long version ("Sting" pattern with the stripes down the sides) for Christmas from DH after I raved about them. It's funny that you mention the shorts because I was honestly just thinking shorts with those pockets would be perfection! I'll definitely join your cause and write them a message! Crossing my fingers! Thanks again! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter