Official 2015 Disneyland Half Marathon Thread.

@Slogger - I'm keeping it in mind! I'm going to see how I do on my first half marathon before deciding though. :)

I sure hope that rumor of Dopey possibly ending is not true!

Gosh, I hope that is NOT true...Looks like we need to start a letter writing campaign to runDisney to let them know to keep the Dopey. I'll be writing one today for sure.

I heard that rumor too about Dopey, here on the boards, but as quickly as it sells out, I just don't see how it could be true. These challenge races are such a money maker for them. And other than a little more administrative work (wristbands/photos), they don't really have to do anything. Oh yeah, make a couple more shirts that sell out the first day. There's always that. LOL.

MarathonFoto still doesn't think I exist :( I'll email them when I get home tomorrow. I was actually excited to see a few of my photos this year. This whole race has been a headache for me and trying to get any of my information for anything. But hey, at least I got to run.

Personally I think that if Disney are considering quitting Dopey, I'd think it would be from a liability point of view. I imagine they get a lot of beginner runners signing up who don't really know what they're getting into/don't respect the distance/don't take it seriously. Maybe instead of cancelling it, they could make it an entry requirement that you must have already completed a marathon, or maybe even a half, just to weed out the complete beginners.

MarathonFoto still doesn't think I exist :( I'll email them when I get home tomorrow. I was actually excited to see a few of my photos this year. This whole race has been a headache for me and trying to get any of my information for anything. But hey, at least I got to run.

How annoying! But you're right, at least you got to do the run :goodvibes

Anyone know why some people's Dumbo bibs were in pastel colors versus the red/yellow on top? I've seen some in pictures & curious.

Personally I think that if Disney are considering quitting Dopey, I'd think it would be from a liability point of view. I imagine they get a lot of beginner runners signing up who don't really know what they're getting into/don't respect the distance/don't take it seriously. Maybe instead of cancelling it, they could make it an entry requirement that you must have already completed a marathon, or maybe even a half, just to weed out the complete beginners.

How annoying! But you're right, at least you got to do the run :goodvibes
I would 100% support this (or something similar).
Anyone know why some people's Dumbo bibs were in pastel colors versus the red/yellow on top? I've seen some in pictures & curious.
Yep, legacy runners. The Perfect 10s had different bibs too.

I'm not so sure that's a good idea. A well-trained beginner can run Dopey just fine. They might even do better than someone who has run a few marathons and thinks they don't need to train much since they're experienced. I think Dopey's impact on the 5k and 10k would be a more justifiable reason to stop it if they really need one. I hope they don't though. It's a fun way to spend the weekend, aside from the 345am alarms.

Ask them to check for a similar ending number. My bib # ends in 5 and this other runner's number ends in 3. I had a lot of her photos. (At first I thought she was a bandit runner until I realize when her bib is crinkled, it looks like a 5)

Regarding the Dopey, I would highly suggest that you all send some letter to runDisney in support of it. Show them that we all appreciate their work on it and that we want it to continue because it is a challenge. I've never run one and this Jan will be my first. I plan on doing it every year and will likely get an annual pass to do it...if they cancel it then I won't get the pass and won't participate much in that weekend...I want the challenge of it and to have a name associated with it and medal because the recognition itself drives me to do it...yes I could separately do the 5k, 10k, half and full but it is not the same as having it associated with a Challenge that you can always look back on and hopefully smile

Hi,
Just a few comments after my HM at DL ( my first DL HM but have done one at WDW in 2011) after a great weekend

I forgot to submit my proof of time ( I'm a 1 hr 45 runner and normally just enter the estimated completion time on the rock n roll marathons ) so got put in Corral G. Decided not to try to go into the other corrals and just stick with the G corral so I knew it was going to be interesting to get past people.

Went to the Expo on thursday @1pm. Bib pick up was quick, the Pasta in the park party ticket pick up was quick also but the 10th Anniversary ticket pick up was a long queue.

The queue for the official merchandising went to a separate ballroom on the floor above so gave up and went for lunch , queues were much shorter after lunch.

Both the 10th Anniversary and Pasta party were great.

When you walk to the start at 430am in your shorts and tshirt and feel fine , you know it is going to be warm (it was warmer than I am used to in the UK)

From the 1st wave , it took over 50mins for us in G to pass the start line.

Some places in the park were crowded ( had to walk at a water station,at the entry to DL and at the castle).

Course was great in the parks, with the vintage cars and running through the Angels stadium was excellent with a surprising amount of support.

A good number of water/gatorade stations on the course.

The damp towel at the finish was great and bag check was very quick.

At the lounge at the marriott after the race I talked to the man who fainted prior to the start and he looked perfectly fine to me.

I took 2 hours but was very pleased with my time.

A big thank you to all the volunteers

TBS

I'm not so sure that's a good idea. A well-trained beginner can run Dopey just fine. They might even do better than someone who has run a few marathons and thinks they don't need to train much since they're experienced. I think Dopey's impact on the 5k and 10k would be a more justifiable reason to stop it if they really need one. I hope they don't though. It's a fun way to spend the weekend, aside from the 345am alarms.

I don't doubt that at all! I completely support any beginners attempting Dopey if they respect the distance and do the training. I was just thinking that some beginner runners might not realise exactly how much training will be involved when they sign up, and then find that they're not able to commit to that amount of time and find themselves relying on 'pixie dust' to get them through on the day. I also agree that sometimes the newbies take training a lot more seriously than the experienced ones, but at least if you've done an endurance event before, you have some idea of what sort of training it's gonna take just to get you through to race day.

But you're right, it's probably more about the impact on the 5k and 10k. I hadn't thought of that.

Spoke with a nice young lady from PA on Sunday morning on way to corrals who also heard Dopey may not be around much longer.

#panicattack

I have a hard time buying that. The premium charge, the extra day or two of lodging, the fact that it sells out immediately, the extra merchandise being purchased....I'd think that Disney would try and expand it to more people.

runDisney cancelling the Dopey - to me - is like Apple saying, "we're not going to be making iPhones any longer. We'll just focus on computers." I just can't see the reasoning.

That's just me - I'd love to hear people's thoughts on why runDisney would end the Dopey, though. I'm not exactly Elon Musk when it comes to business strategy!

Regarding the Dopey, I would highly suggest that you all send some letter to runDisney in support of it. Show them that we all appreciate their work on it and that we want it to continue because it is a challenge. I've never run one and this Jan will be my first. I plan on doing it every year and will likely get an annual pass to do it...if they cancel it then I won't get the pass and won't participate much in that weekend...I want the challenge of it and to have a name associated with it and medal because the recognition itself drives me to do it...yes I could separately do the 5k, 10k, half and full but it is not the same as having it associated with a Challenge that you can always look back on and hopefully smile

I'm with you. If it weren't for the Dopey, I'd do the Goofy and forgo the 5K and 10K...and most likely come down a couple of days later. Maybe I'd stay a day later but, overall, I'd end up spending less time and $$$ if they ended the Dopey.

(So maybe that IS a good thing!)

(Nah)

I have a hard time buying that. The premium charge, the extra day or two of lodging, the fact that it sells out immediately, the extra merchandise being purchased....I'd think that Disney would try and expand it to more people.

runDisney cancelling the Dopey - to me - is like Apple saying, "we're not going to be making iPhones any longer. We'll just focus on computers." I just can't see the reasoning.

That's just me - I'd love to hear people's thoughts on why runDisney would end the Dopey, though. I'm not exactly Elon Musk when it comes to business strategy!

I agree it wouldn't make sense in general but it has me worried because I've been reading a couple of different bloggers mention it, so it seems like either they have the same rumor or there is something to it. I HOPE just a stupid rumor.

As for Musk, can we please not mention that self absorbed jerk here - I want at least a lite separation from work so I don't need to hear the name here. Too many people give him credit for things he knows nothing about simply because he is rich.

:)

I agree it wouldn't make sense in general but it has me worried because I've been reading a couple of different bloggers mention it, so it seems like either they have the same rumor or there is something to it. I HOPE just a stupid rumor.

As for Musk, can we please not mention that self absorbed jerk here - I want at least a lite separation from work so I don't need to hear the name here. Too many people give him credit for things he knows nothing about simply because he is rich.

:)

That was just the first "famous" business person name I could think of - that's all.

Well, if there's something we do know about Disney it's that they really don't do away with a money-making/premium add-on without replacing it with something MORE expensive - like the in-party parties for Halloween, the Castaway Cay Challenge, etc.

If the 5K is the problem, given the relatively small time constraints, they could push the start time up and double the capacity for the 5K to make up for the spots being taken by Dopey runners.

I just can't see them giving up the guaranteed sell-out on a $600 Challenge (plus merchandise), when it's probably what covers the overheard for all race logistics on WDW Marathon weekend.

If anything, they'll find some way to up the stakes and have something BIGGER (and more expensive) than Dopey to counteract the one-and-done runners, which I don't think are even hurting them right now as newbs like me keep signing up for things. Like, just spitballing here, but - what if Disney added a FIFTH race to the weekend - an Ultra? Ultras are becoming incredibly popular where I live. Our local Ultra sold out first over our marathon weekend this year.

Anyway. I know that's probably crazy. But if we all know one thing here, it's that with VERY rare exception that runDisney is not hurting to find people willing to pay for race registrations - especially for challenges. If anything, they'd look for ways to increase capacity before they'd cut back registrations. Sure, killing off Dopey might mean more individual runners and more hotel rooms sold, etc., for the 5K and 10K, and maybe the half. But you'd likely see a severe drop off of people registering for the full.

First day back to work for me :(

Overall, we had a pretty great trip.

I was pretty bummed about the race shirts though. My participant t-shirt was too big, and the tank top i bought (in the same size, from the same manufacturer) for $40 is too small, go figure! I really wanted a "I did it" shirt, but, they only had extra huge sizes left when we got there on Friday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!