"Official" 2015 MNSSHP thread

Anyone who enjoys attending MNSSHP in costume might be interested in the statement found in this Orlando Sentinel article this morning:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...-metal-detectors-security-20151217-story.html

If you feel strongly about it, I would suggest emailing Disney with your feelings.

I'd have to see the actual Statement from Disney before I get too worried about this. The way the article reads, its like this is a new policy regarding costumes for adults. Those over 14 have never been able to wear costumes, This is not new. Until Disney tells me I can't wear a costume to the Halloween Party, I'm not going to worry about it.

I'd have to see the actual Statement from Disney before I get too worried about this. The way the article reads, its like this is a new policy regarding costumes for adults. Those over 14 have never been able to wear costumes, This is not new. Until Disney tells me I can't wear a costume to the Halloween Party, I'm not going to worry about it.

Its a new policy for the Halloween parties though, which is what I gathered from the article. It's true that costumes on adults have never been permitted in the parks outside of the Halloween parties. But it would certainly be a new thing if that policy was put into effect during the parties as well. I agree it's best to wait for the official announcement of this, but I don't think the Sentinel is known for blowing smoke with no source.

Its a new policy for the Halloween parties though, which is what I gathered from the article. It's true that costumes on adults have never been permitted in the parks outside of the Halloween parties. But it would certainly be a new thing if that policy was put into effect during the parties as well. I agree it's best to wait for the official announcement of this, but I don't think the Sentinel is known for blowing smoke with no source.

The author of the article was asked on twitter about the Halloween party portion of this and she said she confirmed with Disney that this policy now applies for the parties. She was still waiting to hear about rundisney events. Hopefully they reconsider.

I am torn in regards to this new policy. On the one hand, other parks (like Universal) have never allowed costumes which was always understandable why because of the activities they offer on Halloween parties. However, Disney is a little different and so I don't see why they should just get rid of costumes altogether. Maybe be more restrictive with the type of costumes you can wear (nothing covering the head or face, no colored contact lenses, etc). Basically nothing that can extremely alter one's appearance (or even a costume that can conceal anything potentially dangerous although with the metal detectors that shouldn't even be an issue anymore).

Yes this would mean costumes are much more simplified but at least you could still dress up a bit.

This rule would probably stop me from going since MNSSHP and dressing up was my favorite thing to do. I can see a lot of people being against this decision if it goes thru.
We are already planning summer trips for the next 5-7 years because of potential marching band conflicts, so this news helps take the sting off, but it still sucks.

Anyone who enjoys attending MNSSHP in costume might be interested in the statement found in this Orlando Sentinel article this morning:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...-metal-detectors-security-20151217-story.html

If you feel strongly about it, I would suggest emailing Disney with your feelings.

Thank you for posting link.

This rule would probably stop me from going since MNSSHP and dressing up was my favorite thing to do. I can see a lot of people being against this decision if it goes thru.

It would change things for my family as well. Crazy as it is, we were discussing costume this past weekend.

From what i'm reading though this is all based off a sign at front that says no costumes 14 plus which has always been posted. I'm not finding anything that states its the same for MNSSHP that isnt 2nd hand. I sent them an email to guest relations I'll post whatever response I get. I pretty much told them that I wanted confirmation or denial and that if this was a new rule that a place that promotes being a kid again sure does not wish for adults to enjoy being a kid on halloween.

From what i'm reading though this is all based off a sign at front that says no costumes 14 plus which has always been posted. I'm not finding anything that states its the same for MNSSHP that isnt 2nd hand. I sent them an email to guest relations I'll post whatever response I get. I pretty much told them that I wanted confirmation or denial and that if this was a new rule that a place that promotes being a kid again sure does not wish for adults to enjoy being a kid on halloween.
This info was posted on the Orlando Sentinel website and confirmed by the author of the article that MNSSHP info was direct from Disney. The line about the parties was not in the article when it was initially posted. It was added later in the morning. The author was still waiting to hear back from Disney on how this would impact the RunDisney events.

I am torn in regards to this new policy. On the one hand, other parks (like Universal) have never allowed costumes which was always understandable why because of the activities they offer on Halloween parties. However, Disney is a little different and so I don't see why they should just get rid of costumes altogether. Maybe be more restrictive with the type of costumes you can wear (nothing covering the head or face, no colored contact lenses, etc). Basically nothing that can extremely alter one's appearance (or even a costume that can conceal anything potentially dangerous although with the metal detectors that shouldn't even be an issue anymore).

Yes this would mean costumes are much more simplified but at least you could still dress up a bit.

this was already the rule that was in place though, nothing that obscured the face. I have to say I'm saddened by the news, it was such a huge part of MNSSHP for me. I guess we will have to see how it plays out...

This is sad news. I'm so glad I went to MNSSHP this year. If this is true I probably won't go to the parties again - my favorite part is dressing up in costume! That's a huge draw to the parties.

Dressing up with my family for the Halloween party was so much fun! I don't see how our t-shirt style toy story costumes and hats (no faces covered or altered) could be a security risk. Sad what society is coming to.
That's basically what my sister said. She said that she guesses now the only thing she can get away with wearing that is somewhat of a costume is wear one of those Hot Topic Disney princess dresses, until I reminded her that it means if she wears that she can't wear a wig.

tumblr_nf7nmr7fK91qbltquo1_500.jpg

Dressing up was a huge draw to the Halloween parties for us as well :( Now that both my kids are over 14 none of us will be allowed to go to the party in costume. Its very disappointing! We are planning Universal for Fall 2016 but were going to pop in for a MNSSHP but now I think we will skip it. With price increases larger crowds at the parties and now no costumes it just isnt worth it any more :(

That's basically what my sister said. She said that she guesses now the only thing she can get away with wearing that is somewhat of a costume is wear one of those Hot Topic Disney princess dresses, until I reminded her that it means if she wears that she can't wear a wig.

tumblr_nf7nmr7fK91qbltquo1_500.jpg
I did think of that 'Disney Bounding'. I did email them yesterday and asked about Halloween Parties. When I get a reply, I will post.

This info was posted on the Orlando Sentinel website and confirmed by the author of the article that MNSSHP info was direct from Disney. The line about the parties was not in the article when it was initially posted. It was added later in the morning. The author was still waiting to hear back from Disney on how this would impact the RunDisney events.
We just got our race event guides for the upcoming Star Wars races at Disneyland. Here's what it says about costumes:

Costumes are not only permitted, but encouraged at run Disney events to showcase your Disney-spirit. However, any attire or costume must be family-friendly and not offensive, objectionable or a potential safety hazard to yourself or other runners. Face masks are not allowed. Your full runner bib must also be clearly visible on your front torso during the entire race.​

With metal detectors and wands, it would be difficult to get by even with a bulky costume. However, having worked security with metal detectors and wands, I can say that people will hide things in the oddest places to get past security.

I did get a reply to my email:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about recent policy changes at the Walt Disney World® Resort.

Nothing is more important to us than the safety of our Guests and Cast members. Keeping this priority in mind, we have a comprehensive approach to security designed to keep our properties safe. The change to our costume policy for Guests ages 14 and older further strengthens our existing practices. The new costume policy update allows our security personnel to more effectively visually screen Guests at the Theme Parks.

We understand that many of our Guests appreciate becoming part of our stories, and apologize for any disappointment the costume policy change may have on your experience at our properties. Remember that while full costumes are not permitted, you are welcome to dress in the spirit of your favorite characters within policy. For more information on our park rules and regulations, visit https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/.

We remain committed to providing you with a safe and memorable visit and look forward to hosting you at one of our properties very soon.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Considering I've seen adults in full face paint, star wars robes, etc. and its not even time for parties. I'm not gonna worry til the halloween parties start and they deny people. I'm planning to go on Halloween itself and from what I remmeber from 2 years ago there were more adults dressed up then not on that day so I'm guessing I'll be safe going on Halloween even if they keep this rule.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter