Official 2016 5th Anniversary Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend!

However, if they cut the track at the back of cars land, you would be missing the 10k and 15k mats. It would be pretty obvious once the results are in when they see missing splits. Who knows... This could be another article for http://www.marathoninvestigation.com where people get called out on it by name and/or rundisney simply bans them from further races.
I don't think Disney actually does that "ban from further races"--unfortunately.
I know someone who, a few years ago, hid a friend's bib in his pocket during one of the races---so even though the friend didn't actually run, her bib timing chip was picked up at all the timing mats and it appeared on the results.
They were caught, because his time was fast enough to earn her first place in her age group!
The times were deleted from the results--but they both have gone on to run more Disney races since.

And he's done it again at other Disney races, and other (non Disney races)--and once again to earn a female friend first in her age group...caught, results deleted...but not banned.

I had a link in an email. And I think the info was in the program as well. I also heard that $39 wasn't a special. But you do get all photo from race and any taken in the park on that day. Anyway it beats carrying a camera or iPhone.
I don't think I ever got the link. As it turns out, I have an AP, so I got my pics for free. Wouldn't have paid for any of them, but for free, I'll take one or two!

Oh man @Keels I love your photo with the Lost Boys. I know Tootles! I thought I heard him and I almost stopped for a photo. In the end I'm glad I didn't because I may not have gotten my time under 2:30. But I'm glad I know now.

Hi everybody!

I only just recently joined disboards, mostly because the running community here is so nice and welcoming!

Anyways, I have a few rambling thoughts after the Tinkerbell Half.

First @Belle Ella , I'm sorry all that happened to you but I'm so happy that you pulled through!

Well, Tinkerbell is my 2nd half marathon ever and my first was a month ago. At the first one, I think I hit a wall at mile 10 pretty bad both physically and emotionally and really felt like I didn't want to race anymore, but had already signed up for Tink months ago and flights/rooms etc were already booked. The course support was pretty sparse, but I didn't know any better.

Wow, Tink was so different! I almost cried at least 3 times seeing all the people out at 5:30am to cheer on the runners. It really warmed my heart! I also have to say I'm so in awe of all the awesome ladies who were running so fast, especially the ones who passed me from behind! And all the PDC and C2C etc runners. So inspiring - it really makes me want to work on my fitness.

I also concur about photopass - the pictures were awesome!!! I made a faux-pas and did that much derided jump with arms outstretched. Oops! Still learning about runner etiquette. But luckily there were only bicyclists (laughing at me). Were those cyclists there to stop you from running into Carsland? What is it about that area that makes you want to do that pose?! I wasn't trying to do a Tinkerbell pose, it's just my go to hammy running pose.

Bummed to hear about course cutters. My husband doesn't understand the big deal about it, since they're just cheating themselves really. But I feel like it also cheats all the people who put so much effort in training for it and truly running the 13.1 miles. I did notice my "placement" went up 7 spots, so I guess they must have caught 7 cutters? I'm happy they were on top of it.

My quick-ish recap: Although I woke up before my alarm went off, I somehow left the hotel later than I wanted. Huge mistake. I had no idea that gear check was so far from the corrals! I ended up having to weave and run to gear check and then to the corrals - I made it 1 minute before my corral started! I'm sure I came off as a jerk for that behavior and I belatedly apologize! My other half was much smaller than Tink and the gear check was right next to the corrals. I also knew Tink wasn't sold out, so didn't expect SOOOO many runners! Was it really 11k+ runners?

The first couple of miles were a blur and I can't remember much about running in the parks, can you believe it? Someone in front of me waved at the carousel, and that's what made me see the Lost Boys, which was pretty cool! Was Tinkerbell anywhere in the parks? What really made an impression was all the support - the cowbells, the signs, the castmembers, and all the people! Loved the announcer calling out names with little tidbits. As I mentioned, the support and love were so overwhelming I almost cried several times. The red hat ladies were awesome! Are all Disneyland races like this? Is this considered normal amount of support?

I ended up doing better than expected (PR'd!!!) considering my over-use injuries and my slower than normal paces prior to Tink. Actually my foot started cramping at the last water stop and I could feel a blister forming, which is strange because I've never had cramps in any of my runs before and I only ever run in those socks/shoes and never get a blister at that site. I guess first time for everything! I even considered stopping and walking because of my foot cramp, but luckily powered through.

I'm excited to go back to running for the fun of it and not needing to train and "get my long run in" and carb/water-loading and abstaining from alcohol before the race. But Tink is making me re-think signing up for more races. :)

" class="largePrevImg"

Last edited:
Okay I got in yesterday so no posts but here's what I got:

Expo:
- We got there around 12 or 1 on Thursday and wine glasses were out which was sad.
- I got everything else I wanted (jacket, cup, mug for my mom, magnet, bondi band, C2C pin) though so overall I was happy.
- I found the whole process much nicer that Disney World
- RawThreads didn't bring the "Will Run for Beignets" shirt so that was sad too.
- I was so surprised when we had both C2C bands placed on our wrists because I thought you had to do 3 races to get both under the new rules.

Neverland 5k:
- The no corrals until you arrive thing was weird. That being said I was near the front of A so once we got spread out it was probably the nicest run I've had with short lines and such. IS THIS WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE FAST?
- I loved the lost boys. We had a guy dressed as Michael in front of us and he was really tall so when they went to take a picture with him they were like "Michael what happened? You got so big!" and even though my friend and I weren't dressed up they were like "THERE'S TOO MANY OF US TO FIT" when we were taking a selfie.
- I also think I saw @Ariel484 during the 5k (or was it the 10k?) at the last mile marker but I was too afraid of being wrong and sounding like a creep to some random person to say anything.
- I also liked the little skit at the beginning.
- Playing "Following the Leader" and the pirate song was cute for the first 2.5 miles but I will never get them out my head Disney so thanks for that.

Tinkerbell 10k:
- We were a bit slow here. I had walked/stood way too much the day before and messed up my feet a bit so I was lagging. I actually had more trouble with this then the 1/2.
- The rain before starting the course also slowed us down because many of the park areas were slippery
- My one friend didn't get in until midnight and went to day of bib pickup and had a lot of trouble finding it since cast members kept telling her she was going the wrong way.
- This was the first race where being on Katella bit us in the butt because we spent a huge amount of time going through Disney security lines post race just so we could get back to our hotel.

Tinkerbell 1/2:
- I really enjoyed the course because it was fairly flat and aside from the one underpass near the end the hills were at the beginning.
- Our group pacer made great time so based so with pictures we were right at 3:30 which is far better than Princess. I think it was the lack of humidity since our group pacer has asthma.
- I do wan to do a rD 1/2 alone one day and see how much better I do or if I still get distracted by the Disney of it all since my pace would normally have me closer to a 2:45 finish.
- Loved the signs and spectator support. I think they were even better than Disney World. I love the Dory sign that said something like "I'm never running again. Oh look a half marathon!"
- I saw @Keels like ten people ahead of me after getting my food box at the end but I couldn't convince myself to hobble fast enough to say hi.
- I had KT tape on my feet for this race which helped majorly after the trouble I had during the 10k
- We managed to catch up to our friend who hadn't been allowed to defer despite her torn ACL who limped the first 3.5 miles for her medal before heading to medical so we got a picture with her. Also, if you were near the beginning of C or the end of B and stopped to check on her near the beginning she says thanks. I have so many feelings about her situation that makes me feel somewhat different about the whole getting your medal even if you don't finish.
- I just ran a half marathon why would I want to wait in the security line to go back to my hotel? Please stop.
- I will say I loved so much about this course (how spread out it was, the support, etc.) but the lack of characters since we were off Disney property was sad. I felt like even with the bands it just wasn't as exciting.
- Loved seeing The Lost Boys on the carousel bit I didn't stop to get a picture.
- So glad the vanilla clif gel wasn't caffeinated this time so I could eat it
- I also didn't get a time at the 15k mat. None of our group got a time and there was someone working on it when we passed.

Other Post Race Things:
- I didn't personally see cutters but I know at the mile 5/12 area there were a lot of cast members when I went by on hand to watch.
- I felt like everyone was much nicer than at Princess though I did have one woman screech "Runners on the left!" every time a run/walk/run person said "Excuse me!" to pass when they couldn't get through the crowd to get to the left on their run part. I did notice she didn't move from the right side when see did her run so I guess it was just everyone else.
- To everyone who said "Sorry I just wanted to hold hands" when we hit one another I want to say thanks for having a great attitude.

Can't believe the races are over! It was an emotional weekend for me. If anyone is also on the FB group you probably saw my post about my experience at the Expo. Noticed I wasn't listed on the banner for Legacy runners lo and behold I had just picked up the regular half bib. My experience with the race staff to try and get everything corrected was probably one of the worst experiences I have ever had with Disney. A lot of stress and $17 dollars later (I had to go print stuff out at the business center as my only option) I finally at least got the system fixed for me as a Legacy runner and a new bib so I could get the gift. Still really disheartened about not seeing my name on anything Legacy related.

Tried to make the most of the race weekend, even after a not fun start the morning of the half. I tripped down the last 2 steps leaving my hotel in the morning and was terrified I hurt my ankle. I got kicked in the knee in the corrals (nobodies fault really, someone went to stretch as I was moving back to my spot along the gate - I've got a nice bruise from it too). And I almost had an injury around mile 4 when my foot slipped going from a run to a walk and I got a little too close to the curb. But hey, in the end I PR'd and even got under 2:30 which is something I have said I want to work towards since I finished my first Tink!!

The excitement from that will hold me over for awhile. I didn't think I was anywhere close to ready to pull that out of a run!

Congrats on the PR...especially after all the stumbles and kicks!

What was the gift for being a Legacy runner?

I'm not sure if it was pixie dust or bmy Mom being there, but I PR'ed in both races. I ran my first half marathon on May 4, 2014 and finished at 2:45 with significant knee pain. On Saturdày I finished the 10k in under an hour and on Sunday finished the half in 2:08. My best 10k was at Princess this year at 1:05 and my best half was at WDW Half this year àt 2:17. I have never run under a 10 minute mile outside and both races were. I am still feeling the high of exceeding my own expectations for myself. I enjoyed the course but must say that I prefer WDW I agree with everyone else about photopass, it took some great pictures! My mom had never seen me run before and got to see me cross the finish line. Great Mothers Day!

I really loved this race but last year was better in my opinion, more on course support out of the parks and more running in the parks, but still loved it.
I learned a hard lesson this year. Don't eat anything you haven't tried. I ate something my body didn't like after the 10K and spent the whole evening in bed almost crying hoping I would be able to make the race in the morning. I was really scared as my coast to coast was on the line and when I found out we were getting both the blue and pink (I didn't understand that either, but oh well) I promised my blue medal to my DD6 as she ran her kids races coast to coast! So now I was running for her as well. I managed to make it sunday morning but was really weak. I downed Powerade and water at every stop to try and get fuel. I felt better about halfway through, but man was that rough!!! Lesson learned, as much as you want to try something on vacation.... not a good idea the day before a half marathon!! But my daughter got her coast to coast for mothers day!!!

@Keels I saw you at some point during the half but didn't realize it was you!
@Belle Ella I'm so sorry that happened to you. It really sucks that you had to go through all of that!

I arrived on Saturday with a friend and we hung out at the expo most of the day. Heard Jeff Galloway talk (which helped me PR!) and finally got to check out Trader Sams! I also met up with @kim3339 finally! She was sweet enough to pick up a wine glass for me! yay!

I was in C for the Half and had a great experience. My friend was in the back of D and moving slower and had a much more crowded experience it sounds like. I didn't really run into much slowing. I thought they could have used more characters in the parks. But I LOVED the Lost Boys on the carousel. I stopped and took a selfie with them (which I no longer have cause my phone was stolen). I loved that the Red Hat ladies were near mile 8ish (dont remember exactly). Thats right about when I needed a boost and they definitely gave it to me! I was aiming for a PR and I made it by over 3 minutes even with my bathroom stop so I was thrilled about that. I heard my name as I was running through the finishers chute and I'll never forget it cause Uptown Funk was playing at the time. It was a super fun way to end the race. And yes photopass is so much better than marathonfoto! Great change! I got some great pics!

Post race we hopped into DL for some photos. Loved that DL was giving out flowers to all the moms. Then we hopped to DCA for some rides. I was surprised how uncrowded DCA seemed for Mothers Day and race weekend. Had an amazing dinner at WCT off the WOC menu and then had a great spot for the show. We had a great day. The only downside to the whole trip was someone stole my phone while we were in DCA. My fault. I left it in the bathroom stall for all of 4 minutes. I'm pretty sure I even talked to the girl who took it when I went back in to find it. Who ever did it, turned the phone off immediately so it was obvious right away that there was no intention to turn it in and I would not be getting it back. I did check with Guest Relations a number of times though and they were very sweet. I'll call it a lesson learned. I'm sad I lost my photos on it from the weekend but I won't lose the memories at least.

The only downside to the whole trip was someone stole my phone while we were in DCA. My fault. I left it in the bathroom stall for all of 4 minutes. I'm pretty sure I even talked to the girl who took it when I went back in to find it. Who ever did it, turned the phone off immediately so it was obvious right away that there was no intention to turn it in and I would not be getting it back. I did check with Guest Relations a number of times though and they were very sweet. I'll call it a lesson learned. I'm sad I lost my photos on it from the weekend but I won't lose the memories at least.
That sucks! I hate to think that someone would do that and at the happiest place on earth no less! If it makes you feel any better you weren't the only phone with phone troubles. My friend's fell out of her pocket while she was getting off of indie and slipped into the crack between the car and the area you get off at. It fell under the wheel and had to be run over before it could be retrieved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!