Official 2016 Disneyland Half Marathon Thread

Keels

The Official Keels of RunDisney
Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend
September 1-September 4, 2016 - Disneyland® Resort, California
Official RunDisney Disneyland® Half Marathon Page

Get set to double your running fun in the place where dreams come true as some of Disney's most beloved duos cheer you along on spectacular runs on amazing courses. Join Mickey & Pluto, Aladdin and the Genie, the Country Bear's Liver Lips and Al, along with Dumbo and Timothy for awesome runs in the most magical place on Earth. It's a Disney character-filled weekend with special events, Disney entertainment, the Disneyland® Half Marathon and 10K, runDisney Kids Races and the Dumbo Double Dare.

Upcoming Important Dates:
January 26:
DVC/AP Early Registration
February 2: General Registration
May 31: Proof of Time Submission Deadline

The Schedule:
runDisney Health & Fitness Expo

Disneyland® Hotel Exhibit Hall
Thursday, September 1, 2016 (Time TBA)
Friday, September 2, 2016 (Time TBA)
Saturday, September 3, 2016 (Time TBA)

Disneyland® 5K presented by Cigna®
Disneyland® Resort
Friday, September 2, 2016
Start time: 5:30 AM

Disneyland® 10K presented by Cigna®
Disneyland® Resort and the City of Anaheim
Saturday, September 3, 2016

runDisney Kids Races
Downtown Disney® District near ESPN Zone®
Saturday, September 3, 2016
Start time: 9:00 AM

Disneyland® Half Marathon presented by Cigna®
Disneyland® Resort and the City of Anaheim
Sunday, September 4, 2016

The Fees:
Disneyland® Half Marathon

$205

Disneyland® 10K
$120

Dumbo Double Dare
$350

Disneyland® 5K
$80

runDisney Kids Races
$20

Who's In?

Keels & Mr. Keels
SarahDisney & Beth
bevcgg & Isabell
courtneybeth & Dad
SoundGuy

abbeyroad6282

Half Marathon
(* - denotes Coast-to-Coast Challenger)
bevcgg * & Isabell
mhowens *

Dumbo Double Dare

(* - denotes Coast-to-Coast Challenger)
camaker *
Keels *
SoundGuy

Last edited:
Thanks for getting this started, Keels!

Beth and I are in for the 5K (hopefully).
No plans for a longer race yet, but that may change in the month between now and registration.

I am in for DDD and the 5K- C2C!
My daughter Isabell has wanted to do a big Run Disney race (1/2) since watching me do Princess in 2011.
She turns 14 in March- so this will be her first big race. She will be doing the 1/2 and the 5K!
Can't wait! I actually have most of our costumes set already!

For my Dad's 65th birthday, we are going to run the 5K together.

No longer races for me since I'm headed to Virginia Beach for the RNR Half Marathon.

I was at Disneyland for the 2015 Avengers Half Marathon Weekend and completed some of the 1/2 ( I was 26 weeks pregnant at the time). I hope to sign up for the 2016 Disneyland Half Weekend. My plan is to do the 10K, assuming it does not sell out by the time I go to register on 2/2!

I'm planning on doing the Dumbo Double Dare to complete the CtC I started with Marathon Weekend and/or Dark Side.

Hello, Disney runners! My husband and I are tentatively considering the 2016 Disneyland 10K and I would love any tips. I have a few beginner questions:

- Can anyone recommend a thorough resource with FAQ or personal perspectives on DL marathon weekend (a blog post, past threads, other sites)? I would love to read more.

- If we're not DVC members, is it realistic to register on Feb 2 or will it sell out to DVC members? Is it possible to buy from a DVC member, or have someone register for us? (I suspect not -- but we had a great experience renting DVC points for a hotel last year and I thought I might as well ask about race registration).

- How are the DL courses and support for beginning runners? I've done a few half marathons and one 10K, but haven't run in ages. My husband has only done a 5k. I have confidence he can work up to a 10K -- but it's all optimistic speculation right now. :)

Thanks, everyone!

Hello, Disney runners! My husband and I are tentatively considering the 2016 Disneyland 10K and I would love any tips. I have a few beginner questions:

- Can anyone recommend a thorough resource with FAQ or personal perspectives on DL marathon weekend (a blog post, past threads, other sites)? I would love to read more.

- If we're not DVC members, is it realistic to register on Feb 2 or will it sell out to DVC members? Is it possible to buy from a DVC member, or have someone register for us? (I suspect not -- but we had a great experience renting DVC points for a hotel last year and I thought I might as well ask about race registration).

- How are the DL courses and support for beginning runners? I've done a few half marathons and one 10K, but haven't run in ages. My husband has only done a 5k. I have confidence he can work up to a 10K -- but it's all optimistic speculation right now. :)

Thanks, everyone!

I can answer your 2nd question. Disney releases a limited number of slots for early registration for DVC/AP folks. So it most definitely will not sell out at that point. The majority of the slots will be available when general registration opens. Be ready to go right at that opening, though, as the 10k tends to be one of the first races to sell out.

I can answer your 2nd question. Disney releases a limited number of slots for early registration for DVC/AP folks. So it most definitely will not sell out at that point. The majority of the slots will be available when general registration opens. Be ready to go right at that opening, though, as the 10k tends to be one of the first races to sell out.

Great! Thanks! That is exactly what I needed to know about registration.

RunDisney registrations are the absolutely most stressful things in the world for me. I get massive anxiety every time. This run I'm going to have to try and get in 2 5K's, a 10K and 2 kids races registrations. Probably won't get them all in with the AP, if any....last time it was all over within mins.

From what I am reading here, I should maybe try and get the 10K in the AP registration....and maybe the kids races? And then wait to get the 5K's when registration is open for everyone?

DH and I are in for this race! 1st time to DLR. Plan to get C2C 2016 with this race and the W&D. We have booked our hotel, staying at BW Stovall's and our flights. Certainly hope I can get registered for the race on 2/2!!

Nice work Keels! I am out this year - we just can't afford to keep flying to the US for Disney races :sad2:

But here's a piece of interesting trivia... Early registration is on Australia Day! Easy for us Aussies to remember!

Pending getting registered... I'll be doing the 5k, and the Dumbo 10k/Half
And my DD6 will be in the Kids races.

Some Semi-Pro Tips on Registering:

Saw a couple of questions regarding registration, so here are my tips (I've registered on the first day of open registration for the following recent races and have not missed a single opportunity that I needed to purchase either for myself, my husband, my mom or friends: 2015 Disneyland Half; 2015 Wine & Dine; 2016 Dopey Challenge, 5k and 10k; 2016 Glass Slipper Challenge & 5K; 2016 Pixie Dust Challenge & 5k):

1. Watch this thread about two weeks before GENERAL registration for a "backdoor link". This will get you to the Active registration page MUCH quicker. If I find it, I'll post it on the first post.
2. In advance, make sure you have an Active account for all ADULTS you plan to register. Children don't need their own account - you can register them under your account. The important thing about this is having an account will auto-fill information, saving you time -- especially if you're needing to register multiple races.
3. In TextEdit or Notepad (depending on what OS you're using), go ahead and pre-type in the credit card number you will be using so you can just copy and paste it. Or, if you're like me and do WAY too much online shopping, having it memorized works too. (Yes, my husband is not a fan of this.)

In looking back last year, this is how registration went - keep in mind, it was an anniversary year, so that has been known to skew things.

Sold out within an hour:

Dumbo Double Dare
Disneyland 10K

Sold out within two hours:
Disneyland 5K

Sold out by 4 p.m.:
Disneyland Half Marathon

My Personal Strategy:
At this point in time, I'm in charge of registering four people for Disneyland this year (myself, husband, friend and friend's daughter), and will be needing two DDDs, one 10K and three 5Ks. My plan is to be ready to go RIGHT at Noon and purchase in this order:
DDD (me) > DDD (friend) > 10K (husband) > 5K (friend's daughter) > 5K (husband) > 5K (me).

I should be able to get all of these bibs at registration, but I've put the 5Ks last because they are the easiest bibs to find without a ticket or hotel add-on from a travel agent (last year, I purchased a 5K bib via a travel agent and was charged for the bib and fees - no ticket or hotel was required).

I think I'm going to go for a long (for me) run tomorrow (7.5-8 miles is the plan), and if that goes well, the plan will be to do the half.
I just need to rob a bank first, since I never got around to buying a powerball ticket.

I think I'm going to go for a long (for me) run tomorrow (7.5-8 miles is the plan), and if that goes well, the plan will be to do the half.
I just need to rob a bank first, since I never got around to buying a powerball ticket.

I just squeeeeeeee'd out loud so hard when I read this! Hoping the run goes well!!

Question for those of you familiar with DL and its surroundings. It looks like I'm going to be solo at this race, as well. Hazards of being married to a HS principal. What are good places to stay on or around DL? I always stay on site at WDW, but the 3 hotels on DL property are crazy expensive race weekend. Where else should I look to stay and where should I avoid?

You can't really go wrong with any of the hotels on Harbor right across from the entrance to DLR. There are always plenty of people around that area, which may be a factor if you're on your own. I've stayed as far as Portofino Inn before and been quite comfortable walking to and from the parks on my own.

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn on Harbor last year and it worked just perfect for our group.

I can see what my Marriott F&F rate is, if you'd like! Last year, it was about $100/night and I could see the fireworks and Space Mountain from outside my room!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter