Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

thankfully I haven't gotten any crud. I flew home Sunday night and was home two days...rained both days..good thing as my legs were hurting. I flew to Sacramento Wednesday after the run and started to feel like I may get a cold while there, but home now and I think it was all the pollen..all the peach and almond trees were in bloom. I tried to run Sunday, well I did two miles and my legs were beat, good thing I didn't try the 10k that morning as I would have never made it. Today I did get in a five mile run on the awful TM.

thankfully I haven't gotten any crud. I flew home Sunday night and was home two days...rained both days..good thing as my legs were hurting. I flew to Sacramento Wednesday after the run and started to feel like I may get a cold while there, but home now and I think it was all the pollen..all the peach and almond trees were in bloom. I tried to run Sunday, well I did two miles and my legs were beat, good thing I didn't try the 10k that morning as I would have never made it. Today I did get in a five mile run on the awful TM.
My very first half marathon in 2009 was in Sacramento :)

Yeah, there was something in the air. I could barely cough let alone get out any sound! There were a lot of kids on my plane home. I always get sick around this time of year, but I haven't been able to run since I got home from PHM due to being sick.

I haven't been able to do anything since I got home. It sucks!

Ah yes...Sacramento! The allergy capitol of the world!

My very first half marathon in 2009 was in Sacramento :)

Awesome! Which race? I went to Sac State!

Awesome! Which race? I went to Sac State!

It is called the American River Parkway Half. When I just looked at my medal I realized I ran it in 2010, not 2009 :) It was a great race though! I remember being soooo nervous since it was my first half, but the support was incredible and it is what got me hooked with doing half marathons.
I grew up south of Sacramento in Stockton. Sac State is the closest State school to us, so I had many friends graduate from there!

Venting...about Marathonfoto..who else..
I saw my finish photos in another runners folder and I wrote MF with the runners name and number (we finished at the same time) and they said just wait and they will all get filed. SO now all are organized and still no finish photos so I wrote them and included photos numbers and still no photos or response. I just can't stand this company..they are so big and there is no need for them to worry about a few as they sell so much. This was my first sub 2 hour finish..it was amazing for me..They might have had a chance to sell one more photo or two...but the one at the castle is covered by PROOF and I can't see my face so not sure if I want it...I know PROOF will be gone, but am I smiling or dying?

I saw my finish photos in another runners folder and I wrote MF with the runners name and number (we finished at the same time) and they said just wait and they will all get filed. SO now all are organized and still no finish photos so I wrote them and included photos numbers and still no photos or response. I just can't stand this company..they are so big and there is no need for them to worry about a few as they sell so much. This was my first sub 2 hour finish..it was amazing for me..They might have had a chance to sell one more photo or two...but the one at the castle is covered by PROOF and I can't see my face so not sure if I want it...I know PROOF will be gone, but am I smiling or dying?

I've been waiting to buy my pics because there is a good one of me and my husband under my husband's bib # and I want them to add it to my account. I emailed them but haven't heard a peep yet. Anyone know if I can purchase now and have them add the photos later via phone or something?

I've been waiting to buy my pics because there is a good one of me and my husband under my husband's bib # and I want them to add it to my account. I emailed them but haven't heard a peep yet. Anyone know if I can purchase now and have them add the photos later via phone or something?

If you want help call (emailing them is pointless) and if they say they can't add the photos call back and get someone else. We had to call a couple times for Dopey to add photos that were in someone else's folder that we found after hunting around for them.

As long as you are in them they will add them. We had to give them the number of the photo thought or to find a character photo of me I found the people who were before me and said I was right after them and the gal found it (I first found them in unidentified by chance, then went to one of their folders to get the picture number and say I need the one before it, if that makes sense). One gal wouldn't do anything, said she couldn't. So we would call back and get someone who could help us.

Yes, you can purchase and then later add pictures. I had found a couple more of me added after downloading the Dopey package. It was easy to go back and get the new ones after they added them.

If you want help call (emailing them is pointless) and if they say they can't add the photos call back and get someone else. We had to call a couple times for Dopey to add photos that were in someone else's folder that we found after hunting around for them.

As long as you are in them they will add them. We had to give them the number of the photo thought or to find a character photo of me I found the people who were before me and said I was right after them and the gal found it (I first found them in unidentified by chance, then went to one of their folders to get the picture number and say I need the one before it, if that makes sense). One gal wouldn't do anything, said she couldn't. So we would call back and get someone who could help us.

Yes, you can purchase and then later add pictures. I had found a couple more of me added after downloading the Dopey package. It was easy to go back and get the new ones after they added them.

Thanks for the info!

Edit: Just got an email fro MF and they ask for my name and number and said they could do it once they had that info.

Last edited:

They emailed me back not two minutes after you replied to me haha!

I need to call Marathonfoto myself because I want to place one large order for my 3 races and my BFs 2 at the same time. I'm hoping that won't be too painful!

Ah yes...Sacramento! The allergy capitol of the world!

I grew up in San Jose. Not too far away. And I literally chose my college out of state because I was allergic to EVERYTHING THERE.

CALL them.

Looks like they contacted you since you wrote that, but they are very nice on the phone.

It is called the American River Parkway Half. When I just looked at my medal I realized I ran it in 2010, not 2009 :) It was a great race though! I remember being soooo nervous since it was my first half, but the support was incredible and it is what got me hooked with doing half marathons.
I grew up south of Sacramento in Stockton. Sac State is the closest State school to us, so I had many friends graduate from there!

I actually got an email about that one a while back. I am thinking about doing the 5K that weekend.

I grew up in San Jose. Not too far away. And I literally chose my college out of state because I was allergic to EVERYTHING THERE.

You aren't kidding! So many people who move here develop allergies that never had them before. I actually have had them practically since birth, and I'm originally from Oklahoma, so I didn't stand a chance!

OK, I have not been able to read through everything, as there are a LOT of pages since I left. I do want to add my two cents, since I was a new runner and this was our first Run Disney events. I will start with a disclaimer that the weeks leading up to the race, my whole family got sick, including my 2 year old leaving with treated pneumonia. Take a guess who started to feel ill hours into our drive to Disney lol! With that said, I still ran the best I have ever run!

Ok- Expo- we felt it was a cluster F*@K. I absolutely hated the lines and crowds and could not believe that Disney has not come up with a better system yet. With that said, I did not experience anyone trying to take anything out of my hands, and by 10:45 am, on opening day, all but the tanks were in stock. I had really wanted one, so I was kind of bummed, but not that bummed. I got a wine glass, but as an afterthought.... was that a hot item? DH was happy about it! Packet pick up was efficient, but crowded and not being able to use my stroller was a nightmare with a 2 year old and that many people. Looking back, we took longer than I had originally anticipated, yet felt rushed. I never even got to look at the New Balances which I am now greatly regretting :( Oh well!

OK onto transportation. Disney got that right! I do think being up and out early helped. We made both buses right as they were going to leave and got to the events early as sin.

5K- HOLY GOD those character lines though! I think y'all should pin a note STRESSING how long these waits are. How long all the waits are. I opted not to wait for them and entered our corrals early. This seemed to be a good idea. We were all placed corral c and that was awesome and unexpected! Original plan was for DH to stick with DD15 and me to stick wth DS9 since we were the weaker runners. Somehow, DD got put together and I was miraculously able to keep up with her! Sadly Dh and DS were held up because DS9 ended up not being able to keep up like he thought he could. Truthfully, he hadn't trained much due to sickness in the months leading up, but he did much worse than we expected. They did have fun though, and so did DD and I. We all got to meet Genie and that made the race for me. Since we finished somewhat earlier, we were delighted to see that Sebastian was out again after the race and lines were still very short! We were able to get in with minimal wait. One thing I wish I would have listened to closer was to bring extra clothes. We all FROZE! We were thankful for cooler temps once we were running, but at 4 am, good lord. I forget my time now, but I def had a PR that day! It felt so good to this overweight, never athletic mom. I was shocked to see myself running in between people! Who was that mom? Even my XC runner daughter couldn't believe I kept up with her. Definitely inspired me to keep running and get even better! Also, for this race we used kids night out as a sitter and they were great! Got there on time with a luggage case full of activities and sweet attitude. I would not hesitate to use them again! They arrived at 4 am and we were back to the poly at exactly 8 am before our little one even woke up. I guess its not hard to watch a sleeping baby, but I was still grateful for her punctuality and sweet demeanor.

Pasta in the park dinner- WHAT A LET DOWN! I don't even know where to start. This whole event felt like a cluster and afterthought. No assigned seating had us looking like the outcast kids looking to find a table to sit with at lunch (btw- we were there early too!) Once seated all the bananas on the table were gone, and those were disappointing center pieces to begin with. Once seated, one side of the food was open and they had 2 buffets set up for hundreds of people. When the 2nd side opened up it was no better. I filled two plates to ensure I had enough food for DS and myself. The characters that were there were all from Hercules. HTF does that fit into princess weekend??? I swore they had multiple characters in past events, not all one theme. Desert was Mickey bars or sandwiches..... thats it. The whole experience was a let down and not what we expected at all. Cool to meet Hades though. Having them lead us to the special spot for illuminations was a nightmare too, and we ended up just leaving. Food was just OK.

10K- I was SUPER pumped for this race, as DH and I were doing it alone. I felt great, even after running the day before and another very early wake up and that flu (cold flu not stomach flu...) I mentioned earlier really starting to show itself. I felt way more prepare mentally as to what expect after doing the 5K and I had the running "blanket" they handed out at the end of the 5K to keep me warm for the 10K.... why do they hand those out after?? So, of course things were going too well lol! Right as corrals started getting called, I had a TERRIBLE stomach issue and was forced to leave the front of corral C and run to the portapotty. This happened twice more and we ended up at the very end of corral C. What was worse, another wave hit as gun went off. I was able to run through it and try to calm myself down, but I was HURTING and extremely slowed down. After Anna and Elsa there was a point where you ran through a turnstile or somethings and I asked the guard where the next bathroom was. He said it was coming up very soon and it was NOT! For a second I felt better and my heart broke when I saw the witch from Snow White and couldn't stop. I started getting terrible pains again and right after the witch was a port potty. I HAD to stop. I ended up waiting over 40 minutes. there was ONE potty for that many racers. Over a mile in and ONE potty. I was beyond aggravated and in tears at this point. Had a cast member been there, they could of advised me as well as the 100+ people waiting that if we ran another few hundred feet or so, there was multiple potty just down the road. I found this to be completely unacceptable and a huge oversight on Run Disneys part. You have that many people and no place to use the bathroom before or at mile one?? Get real. It was so bad that women were going behind the potty to pee in the open! At this point, had waited in line so long that all the corals were being let out and in the distance we could see the balloon ladies. This meant no pictures for us, which quite honestly bummed me out more than I can explain :( I had trained so hard all year for this, that being sick with a stomach thing and a flu on top of it was just a slap in the face. After that last potty break, my stomach seemed to settle down and I really did try to make the best of the next 5 miles. It was beautiful and truly a fun experience, although the lines for characters was so much worse than I could have ever prepared for. Unless you're fast and in corral A, I don't think it is feasible for a new runner to meet them all and not get swept. I was really bummed to miss the Cogsworth and Lumier M&G. But the witch one really broke my heart lol. Finishing this race before being swept did feel great, but I ended up with 19 minute pace because of the potty break, and another break somewhere, but I forget where now. Had that not happened, I would have had another PR. I'm still proud of myself, but felt SO bad for DH. He was champ waiting with me through it all!

Some comments on lines, people, etc. LOTS of potty at start of race while waiting. That was great. Would love for them to add more to the course! Water stops were not as frequent as I had thought but those Voluntears were AMAZING! Such wonderful cheerleaders, they were a great inspiration to me and kept us happy and confident! They had food booths. We missed these the first day! Wish I had the 2nd. I think whatever I had at the 10K made me sick. The items after the race were awesome! LOVED the snack boxes, drinks and blankets.

My biggest surprise was the lack of communication between participants. I anticipated making great new friends, swapping stories, chatting until we got called and was met with none of that. People seemed very to themselves and uninterested in talking in most cases. DH and I love meeting new people, so this was sort of shocking to us. Maybe I should not have expected that.

Anyway, overall, I am HOOKED and can not wait to do another Run disney event, whenever that may be! I do think there should be more characters out for that many people, but I'll just have to become a faster runner. I also thought the character selections were odd.... Was hoping for rarer opportunities, like Genie . Thought having surfer goofy and chip and dale was a bit boring of them. I can meet them anywhere.

I'm sure I am missing stuff, we all got VERY ill with flu/pneumonia during our trip and a stomach bug on top of that. It was quite the weird "vacation" this year. As I said though, running any other event will be very hard after doing this. Although some of it was *** cluster, it really did have a good vibe and running in beauty and amongst so many beautiful, thoughtful and creative costumes was SO much fun and an experience in itself.

I hope this was helpful to someone new or someone experienced with races.

For me? No. Now - had I not been alone, I might have felt differently. But I did not feel any of this "girl power camaraderie" that people talk about at these races. I saw mean girls bullying others and making fun of people on the course, I encountered many people who didn't even really plan on doing the half - they would get swept and get their medal anyway, and on and on and on.

I've shared this story privately, but I might as well do it here as well because it was just so unbelievably appalling to me:

The worst, most appalling was this poor woman - she was EXTREMELY overweight and you can tell that she hadn't done much training because she was wearing clothes that nobody who would train to run would wear - her pants (thin cotton yoga capris) were so stretched out they were falling down, her cotton tank top rode up to expose her belly and her poor friend was basically pulling her along, willing her to keep going (that's a discussion for another day, but is completely beside the point). These four just basic b!tches were LOUDLY insulting her "OMG. Pull your pants up!" And "I'm blind! She's blinded me." The poor woman was crying, it was just a miserable experience for her all around and these women were not helping the situation. Not that I did either by yelling "Hey, maybe if you effing hags ran a little bit, you wouldn't still need those heat sheets you have wrapped around you like baby blankies at Mile 4.", but I hope somewhere someone thought it was a good deed for me to stick up for that poor woman.
Was this during the 10K? If so, I saw her, and applauded her for doing what I'm sure seemed like an impossibility. I can to believe people were outwardly mean. However, I agree, where the eff was the "girl power camaraderie" I had heard about?? We found peoples lack of being social heartbreaking.

The one thing MarathonFoto has taught me is that I make stupid faces when I run.
EVERY marathonfoto picture but one is super unflattering of me. I am definitely not ordering them. I'm sure DH is relieved that I'm not still racking up the expenses for this race haha

Last edited:
I guess i'm more photogenic than I thought. I only have one picture that was unflattering and it was because I had my arms up as approached the finish line. I have batwings from weight gain and subsequent loss. Otherwise, I liked all of mine. Especially the castle shot that I didn't think I actually got. The lighting was just perfect as I came through there.

I got a wine glass, but as an afterthought.... was that a hot item?

The one with the large purple and pink Princess logo/etc on it? If yes, then YES. That was THE hot item.

Even my XC runner daughter couldn't believe I kept up with her.

Yay!

why do they hand those out after??

Some of us get extremely cold after a run. After the Tower of Terror 2013, despite it being over 80 degrees, my lips were turning blue and my feet were ice and I was soooo cold. They are to prevent hypothermia after the run.

When it's cold you can wear them beforehand, but honestly they are better after when you're sweating and putting off lots of heat.

I wore mine from the 5K for the start of the 10K though, just like you. :)

I anticipated making great new friends, swapping stories, chatting until we got called and was met with none of that. People seemed very to themselves and uninterested in talking in most cases.

You expected it because people here talk about it. I have NEVER seen it at a Disney run. I created it at this one, purposely chatting to people even at the 10K when I was alone, because I was lonely and wanted to make it happen. But I really saw no groups talking to other groups. I don't know where the idea comes from that people will be chatty etc unless people here are making it happen.

On the topic of making friends in the corrals, girl power/camaraderie, general chattiness: I see this a lot at local races, but those typically aren't held at 5 o'clock in the morning. I've found that with runDisney events, they're just so darn early that no one is awake enough yet to chat. Combine sleepiness with it being much cooler temps than you're used to running in, and no one wants to talk. At least that's how I figure it, anyway. Andplusalso, I've found that first-timers are more likely to be chatty Cathy's than runDisney veterans, since they're usually more nervous and excited.

And ugh, Marathonfoto can kiss my butt. I usually get at least one or two good pics of me during the races (either jumping in the air in front of Spaceship Earth, or jumping across the finish line), and I got ZILCH this year. You would think that running all of the races that weekend would up my odds of getting a good shot, but nope. In past years, at the very least my finisher photo with my medal is good, but my finisher photos from this year's events SUCK. In one of them, I'm half blinking, in another I'm not really grinning, it's more of a grimace. It's so frustrating. And the ones of me and my fiancé together, if I'm smiling and look a little ok, then he looks like he's dying, and vice versa. Such a shame.

If MF combines race photo prices for the GSC, I might consider purchasing a couple semi-decent ones, but at this point I'll save my money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter