Official 2016 Star Wars Half Marthon - The Dark Side Weekend

Nole95

DIS Veteran
Always wanted to start one of these.

I am definitely in for this, and I have eagerly been waiting for an announcement for a long time.

I am leaning towards the Dark Side Challenge. Can't pass up on all that cool bling.

I'm in for the Dark Side Challenge - I have an official guarantee from a Travel Provider that they will hold a bib for me due to my other registrations so as long as I got the cash then I should be in.

This will be tough: Jan 2016 Dopey, Jan 2016 Star Wars Rebel, Apr 2016 Star Wars Dark Side....It's On!

I'm going for the dark side/kessel run challenge. Might be solo on this trip. Can't decide if I want to bring DS...and find someone to watch him. If I do bring him, we will run the 5k as well. I'm doing Princess solo and we are doing a 10 day trip for SWW/ Harry Potter in May.

Ok. This has become a sickness. I can't help myself with each race that is announced. I am already in for 2016 for the Marathon Weekend half marathon, the rebel challenge, the glass slipper challenge and the pixie dust challenge. Looked at this thread after work today and saw the new Star Wars race in Orlando. I have already booked my hotel room. I wonder if I can book one more DL race and get 3 coast to coast medals? (pink, star wars, blue). I know...this is a sickness.

Last edited:

I'm in! Did inaugural SWHM in January, and it was so fun! But rD basically owns me at this point: Dopey Challenge and Pixie Dust Challenge on the docket for 2016. But as a lifelong SW fan, I am compelled to do this!!

Soooo Excited!! We're doing the star wars 1/2 in Disneyland so hoping there will be a really cool coast to coast for these 2!!

Kessel Run is the special coast to coast. Can't wait to see what it looks like.

Talked to DS just now about the options. He said he'd rather do 2 SWWs and he is ok for me to go by myself for the race. Think I will pass on the 5k since he won't be there and just do the challenge. In fact I might spend Friday afternoon outlet shopping since I never seem to get to do that when we are there.

Oh well hmmmmmmm. I was not expecting this! I hoped but didn't expect it this year. I'm already going to SW in CA in man but not signed up for the half so no special coast to coast for me if I do this. However, it might make my decision about doing the avengers half easier. I want the blue coast to coast but didn't want to do princess or marathon weekend or wine and dine that close to avengers....

On the other hand it's April in Florida. I pretty much melted at Princess 2014 so I'm not sure about this...

On the other hand I could use a half marathon in April to round out my calendar.... Would be just me alone though. And next year was supposed to be a nonwdw year (sea world and DCL here we come!) decisions.....

much as I would love to get in on the inaugural edition of this race its just not feasible for us to make another trip down there just 3 months after marathon weekend but we are targeting this for our 2017 calendar for sure

I am so excited! I have always wanted a Star Wars themed race but never thought I'd make it to the other side of the U.S.! This is great and I really hope I can go! Right now I'm at a 10% chance of going! I would also love to do the challenge! The Princess this past year was my first half ever and we decided not to overwhelm ourselves, but I think we're ready! To be honest...what worries me the most is the computer speed and booking it fast enough! That's the first race to sell out and now everyone is always on the ball! 12pm everyone is logging on and trying to get it! Yikes!!! :scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared: Maybe I'll just use the Force :yoda:

This is killing me. I wouldn't have signed up for Princess if I had known this was happening for sure! My husband is going to kill me if I suggest another trip to Florida.

I just read the announcement earlier today. Too bad it falls the weekend before the Boston Marathon. I will wait to see what the date is next year. After seven Boston's, it would be difficult to give that up.

My husband and I will be doing the Dark Side Challenge/Kessel Run as we are already doing the 5K + Rebel at Disneyland.

I'm booked at VGF already as soon as I saw that announcement.

They picked a great year to kick this off in April with Easter so early. We can't make it because we already have an April trip booked around my son's band trip, but maybe another year. I assume that the actual week in April will vary from year to year to avoid the weeks on either side of Easter when Disney will need no help filling resorts or parks.

I can't do this race in 2016, but wish I could. Already have plans for that time. Here is my question for folks. I looked at a calendar for 2017, and it appears the same weekend in 2017 is Easter. I am guessing since WDW is already mobbed for Easter, they may move the race weekend date that year. What do others think? Would they put it off by just a week? Or do you think a totally different weekend may be in order with all the other SW changes coming to WDW?

Surprised there is no hard ticketed Star Wars themed event on the schedule. Perhaps something at DHS scheduled around Seasons of the Force, or whatever that event is going to be called.

They seem to have some kind of event at all the other races. With this new race, they would be leaving money on the table.

I suppose they could always add something between now and reservation time.

Hi guys - I'm so excited to read about this race! I'm already signed up for the Rebel Challenge out in DL so if I can make it into this race I should be able to get the Kessel Run medal as well.

I do have a question and not sure if anyone can help me out with it. I'm doing the Rebel Challenge in January in DL and then the Glass Slipper Challenge in February in WDW and now hope to get into the Dark Side Challenge in WDW in April. My question is that after I do the Glass Slipper - will they give me the Coast to Coast medal and then the Kessel Run medal after I complete the Dark Side Challenge? Just not sure how this will work. If I can only get one c-t-c medal then I want the Kessel Run.

Thanks in advance.

meg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!