Official 2017 D23 Expo Thread

The "insiders" had a good day...but they've had some ridiculously awful ones as well...

...the same people.

My point: as usual, the company is likely feeding this stuff to direct the crowd/control the message. We saw them do it for years when they were cheap...we see them doing it now when they are getting a little desperate.
Question for you... are you happy with any of these announcements? What realistic announcement would make you happy?

The "insiders" had a good day...but they've had some ridiculously awful ones as well...

...the same people.

My point: as usual, the company is likely feeding this stuff to direct the crowd/control the message. We saw them do it for years when they were cheap...we see them doing it now when they are getting a little desperate.
Desperate? Why?

Look I get it. Did you watch the parks panel? Chapek said this is just the beginning for World Showcase. There is no living with the land redo but an update is rumored.

You know me...i believe its all calculated from burbank...

...because I've seen it be all calculated from Burbank.

The insiders do their thing and enjoy it...people go on the sites and like it...it serves its purpose.

But it's basically daddy telling the kids how to play it...not James Bond sneaking out of Russia with the nuclear codes.

It is what it is.

I actually haven't had enough of a slow gap in the work stuff this week to watch the whole thing...but I will asap.

Desperate? Why?

1. Real competition in Orlando
2. The need for revenues, profits, OI...whatever you want to call it...to make up the decline in their tv business...

Tv accounts for 40% of Disney's money...parks 30...no other segment more than about 10...

Their stock dropped 25% when iger admitted tv was down without stopping himself...billions gone like that...

Disney is getting time right now to figure out a solution to a really big problems because people are spending like sailors in Singapore...that can't last forever.

Park hoppers are gonna pay...they don't have really any realistic option as of now.

Question for you... are you happy with any of these announcements? What realistic announcement would make you happy?

Yes...and I explained this to @loutoo...I believe...in another thread.

I like lots of things that came out and still have some big concerns...all in all a lot things to discuss.

But my job as a responsible consumer is to not give "slack" to a public stock company...because the truth is they are right now looking for ways to screw me. That's not anti-disney...it's a obvious statement about every company like Disney.

They doubled their prices on all of us and steered the ship in a circle in Orlando for about 15 years...so now it's come up ins time...

You want "economics"...well there it is.

1. Real competition in Orlando
2. The need for revenues, profits, OI...whatever you want to call it...to make up the decline in their tv business...

Tv accounts for 40% of Disney's money...parks 30...no other segment more than about 10...

Their stock dropped 25% when iger admitted tv was down without stopping himself...billions gone like that...

Disney is getting time right now to figure out a solution to a really big problems because people are spending like sailors in Singapore...that can't last forever.

Park hoppers are gonna pay...they don't have really any realistic option as of now.
I don't know... I certainly don't have time for a full analysis right now (!!), but reports of "desperation" seem perhaps exaggerated. There are obviously challenges. But it also helps to step back and get the big picture in addition to some current details. This is obviously not the FULL picture, but it's relevant.

DIS stock.jpeg

For those who didn't get to watch the Parks & Resorts Panel on Saturday, Attractions Magazine has shared a full video of the panel... The DIS has also shared each announcement individually on YouTube channel too.

I don't know... I certainly don't have time for a full analysis right now (!!), but reports of "desperation" seem perhaps exaggerated. There are obviously challenges. But it also helps to step back and get the big picture in addition to some current details. This is obviously not the FULL picture, but it's relevant.

View attachment 254039

Funny thing how today's picture doesn't necessarily always look the same tomorrow.

Disney potential trouble spots have been analyzed to death over the last couple of years...espn has been losing subscribers for 7 years on a consistent angle...disney channels might be in worse shape...

Explain. When park hoppers go, I'm gone. Personal line in the sand for me as I've said for years. I don't think I can stomach buying 2 tickets for the same time period...although, now that I think about it, I could get 2 sets of FPs and just ride Soarin' and SSE a lot, which would be fine.

Funny thing how today's picture doesn't necessarily always look the same tomorrow.

Disney potential trouble spots have been analyzed to death over the last couple of years...espn has been losing subscribers for 7 years on a consistent angle...disney channels might be in worse shape...

Who the hell was watching all this ESPN before and what has changed? I swear to god, I live in some alternate reality sometimes.

Explain. When park hoppers go, I'm gone. Personal line in the sand for me as I've said for years. I don't think I can stomach buying 2 tickets for the same time period...although, now that I think about it, I could get 2 sets of FPs and just ride Soarin' and SSE a lot, which would be fine.
Sorry...by "parkhoppers"...I mean disney travelers...of which we are the core

Who the hell was watching all this ESPN before and what has changed? I swear to god, I live in some alternate reality sometimes.

Espn was the most profitable enterprise in tv history...

At their peak, they had something like 110 million subscribers...as part of tv packages...

Every person...everyone...was paying about $9 a month for it and that went to Disney...

And...at its height...before league stations and digital packages took off...before DVR and on demand...before the rights fees went through the roof...

...espn had the most coveted male advertising demographics...which means advertisers paid a ton on their networks...back to Disney again.

Now the contracts cost too much...subscribership is down to the 90 million or so and dropping a couple percent a year...and the ads are drying up.

I'm doing this partly from memory...so no nitpicking...but all the basics are correct.

Last edited:
Espn was the most profitable enterprise in tv history...

Exactly what I was curious about. Thanks. I hear more about ESPN on this site than in all other parts of life combined, I guess because it's not bringing in mega bucks for Disney anymore and continuing to tank.

Exactly what I was curious about. Thanks. I hear more about ESPN on this site than in all other parts of life combined, I guess because it's not bringing in mega bucks for Disney anymore and continuing to tank.

It's still a revenue generator...but there's huge downward trend and there is no exit strategy for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter