Official 2017 D23 Expo Thread

It's still a revenue generator...but there's huge downward trend and there is no exit strategy for that.

I get it. They've got legacy revenue they have to replace somewhere. ESPN isn't something I'm interested in personally, and don't have to be professionally, so I just didn't know/care - except that the ESPN place at the Boardwalk was a terrible, loud, I don't know what kind of place. It did have very cheap and strong pours. That's what I know about ESPN other than it shows sportsball.

I can devote tons of times to WDW and sci fi boards right now so might as well learn as much as possible until the grass pollen gets below "very high" alerts.

I get it. They've got legacy revenue they have to replace somewhere. ESPN isn't something I'm interested in personally, and don't have to be professionally, so I just didn't know/care - except that the ESPN place at the Boardwalk was a terrible, loud, I don't know what kind of place. It did have very cheap and strong pours. That's what I know about ESPN other than it shows sports ball

I can devote tons of times to WDW and sci fi boards right now so might as well learn as much as possible until the grass pollen gets below "very high" alerts.

You got a certain schtick about you that somebody could just eat up...

This one got a snarf

Exactly what I was curious about. Thanks. I hear more about ESPN on this site than in all other parts of life combined, I guess because it's not bringing in mega bucks for Disney anymore and continuing to tank.

It was basically a cash cow and was a large part of the stocks valuation and they haven't come up with a good way to address the cord cutters

They laid off a bunch of talent but the league rights they paid were too high and it is killing them now

It was basically a cash cow and was a large part of the stocks valuation and they haven't come up with a good way to address the cord cutters

They laid off a bunch of talent but the league rights they paid were too high and it is killing them now

And they aren't positioned for streaming...and the spiral is really just getting started.

Sounds like Kodak...in many ways.

Question for you... are you happy with any of these announcements? What realistic announcement would make you happy?

My guess is all these announcements ARE themselves a source of unhappiness, for some.

Exactly what I was curious about. Thanks. I hear more about ESPN on this site than in all other parts of life combined, I guess because it's not bringing in mega bucks for Disney anymore and continuing to tank.
It's good practice for when it comes up in casual convo with my friends I look like a genius haha

Espn was the most profitable enterprise in tv history...

At their peak, they had something like 110 million subscribers...as part of tv packages...

Every person...everyone...was paying about $9 a month for it and that went to Disney...

And...at its height...before league stations and digital packages took off...before DVR and on demand...before the rights fees went through the roof...

...espn had the most coveted male advertising demographics...which means advertisers paid a ton on their networks...back to Disney again.

Now the contracts cost too much...subscribership is down to the 90 million or so and dropping a couple percent a year...and the ads are drying up.

I'm doing this partly from memory...so no nitpicking...but all the basics are correct.

The bolded portion was the entire key to it's success. Even if you never flipped to that channel, if you had cable or satellite, you were paying $9 per month.

They cut great deals (for them) with the providers.

The bolded portion was the entire key to it's success. Even if you never flipped to that channel, if you had cable or satellite, you were paying $9 per month.

They cut great deals (for them) with the providers.

Indeed...bundling....all cable companies had to carry espn because many wanted it and Disney wasn't selling unless it was in the basic package...they couple that with low revenue stations like lifetime, disney, and history channel...and all customers paid without realizing how much of their monthly bill went for that. It was non-negotiable...

Then people started dumping the mandatories with a go it alone approach...and the fire is now raging and chasing Bambi out of the forest...

Last edited:
I don't disagree, especially about long term vs short term ... but remember, ever increasing profits and dividends aren't needed by the business in ANY way, unless they are going to offer more shares in an attempt to attract investment. It does not help the business to simply chase after stock value, it helps (at least in the short term) shareholders.

When you look at the schedule for parties over the last year, its becoming much harder to "plan around" and even if you do, you are now going to be seeing more and more people crammed into MK on those few non-party nights, again, decreasing the value of your ticket / experience.
I totally disagree on this. The only reason companies exist is because of the capital investment by shareholders. 99% of e reason for investing is to obtain a return on that investment. If a company is not profitable it cannot afford to pay dividends nor can it attract new investors. A company breaking even will not see any major increase in its stock value and will likely result in current shareholders to sell seeking better returns. Short term and long term investment needs to occur to maintain value but there needs to a well communicated plan in order to accomplish this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter