Official 2017 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend Thread

Anyone else fearing this may be the last rundisney disneyland weekend until at least 2019. With all the pending construction planned that was announced at d23, I am fearing the worst. I just don't know how they can do a safe and enjoyable course if they plan to do all that construction at california adventure and with star wars land still in the works for 2018.

I am taking this upcoming run at disneyland as the last in a while and enjoy every minute of it.

By the way, anyone get when construction for pixar and marvels will begin? I am starting to think maybe its not all anaheim and permits. Maybe its this d23 announcement they were holding out for. They couldn't say anything because it was under wraps for d23. Therefore, maybe the star wars resistance race will be ok, but tinkerbell, disneyland, and avengers for 2018 is a no go if all this construction starts by then. Hence, star wars has a date but tinkerbell doesn't.

Based simply on the bump the hotels, parks, restaurants, etc. get from runDisney weekends I think Disney would be more then happy to work around any construction. The Star Wars construction has been going on for a while now and so that isn't a worry, they just altered the courses a bit. The Paradise Pier construction in theory should be done by next summer so only the Star Wars race and Tinker bell race would be impacted by that. (And my guess is that enough of a walkway would be open around the pier that it wouldn't be a problem.) The Marvel land construction would impact most of the current courses because it will impact the area behind Mission Breakout and likely Bugs Land. But once again I think runDisney could work around those challenges... What I'm feeling right now is the city of Anaheim might be playing hardball a bit. I think after extending Disney's tax deal on park tickets they got some blowback from residence. So now they are trying to look like they are standing up to Disney in relation to the new pedestrian walkway, etc. This might just be a small battle related to that bigger battle.

I understand everyone needs to look out for their own best interests... But not giving permits for races that happen 4 weekends a year and are pretty much wrapped up at the latest by 10 a.m. on Sunday morning seems silly. Especially with the number of hotel rooms and money that is spent by those coming BECAUSE of the race.

Keep in mind I could be totally off. But that is just the feeling I'm getting.

In other news I'm way excited for this upcoming race! I'm working on my costume and got all my dining reservations made!

I understand everyone needs to look out for their own best interests... But not giving permits for races that happen 4 weekends a year and are pretty much wrapped up at the latest by 10 a.m. on Sunday morning seems silly. Especially with the number of hotel rooms and money that is spent by those coming BECAUSE of the race.

This!

And I think RunDisney has taken the first big step by moving start times earlier and doing course clearing/diversion techniques to get the streets in Anaheim open sooner while still allowing participants have a chance to "finish" the race under their own power.

That Tink course is the true double-edged sword ... it's probably the best out of all of them because it's through neighborhoods, so it's scenic and relatively shaded and has resident support. But, it becomes a real PITA for residents to basically lose access in and out of their neighborhoods as early as 10 p.m. the night before the race until 10 a.m. on Mother's Day.

I took pictures of the road closure signs at Tink last year - let me see if I can find them. But they were a little ridiculous - like a 12-hour time period of roads being shut.

This!

And I think RunDisney has taken the first big step by moving start times earlier and doing course clearing/diversion techniques to get the streets in Anaheim open sooner while still allowing participants have a chance to "finish" the race under their own power.

That Tink course is the true double-edged sword ... it's probably the best out of all of them because it's through neighborhoods, so it's scenic and relatively shaded and has resident support. But, it becomes a real PITA for residents to basically lose access in and out of their neighborhoods as early as 10 p.m. the night before the race until 10 a.m. on Mother's Day.

I took pictures of the road closure signs at Tink last year - let me see if I can find them. But they were a little ridiculous - like a 12-hour time period of roads being shut.

I think it being Mothers Day weekend makes it worse. As much as I love Tink being a legacy I think they need to either move weekends again or ditch it entirely. I get why they moved it but going by this past year alone that weekend choice continues to be bad.

In the end as long as they don't touch the DLH weekend (which I've become I guess overprotective of due to it me being near my birthday and how long I've been doing it) I can live with a year off for the other races. Will I like it? Nope! Floridas once a year and impractical for me to do more then that. And I enjoy coupling doctors with races as odd as that sounds. Just don't touch the DLH weekend.

Because I have no life, I just read through the minutes of every Anaheim City Council meeting so far this year.

The permit for road closure for Tink was approved on the consent calendar (so, without reading - like a blanket approval) on April 4. It was not submitted by Disney or RunDisney - it was submitted by Caltrans (California Traffic Authority) via the Director of Public Works. So - if anything is holding up approval, it's not the Anaheim City Council. It's gotta be Caltrans.

Also, if anyone is curious, there was also a continued monthly debate from January to May on whether Disney was holding up the improvement agreement from 1996. I imagine that's where Pixar Pier came from.

Because I have no life, I just read through the minutes of every Anaheim City Council meeting so far this year.

The permit for road closure for Tink was approved on the consent calendar (so, without reading - like a blanket approval) on April 4. It was not submitted by Disney or RunDisney - it was submitted by Caltrans (California Traffic Authority) via the Director of Public Works. So - if anything is holding up approval, it's not the Anaheim City Council. It's gotta be Caltrans.

Talk about bedtime reading. Good way to get to sleep though

Love the Alien one and the Cones. LOL
I would totally buy right now, but looks like only in womens sizes/styles.

If you email raw threads (info@rawthreads.com) and ask for a design to be made into a men's crew cut style they're really good about making it happen. :)

With less then 40 days until the race weekend begins I'm starting to get really excited!
I went back through some of my pictures from last year and decided to post my "Highlight" video from the weekend.
So if you need to get any more excited about your upcoming race weekend here is two minutes of the Disneyland resort, with some footage from last years 10K.
The only thing that won't be there this year is Paint the Night... But we do have Fantasmic back!

Some time next week I'll have to post my video that takes you through parts of the 10K course (the joy's of strapping a camera to your head).

Anyone else notice on the rD site that there is a "link" to "pre-order" the jackets ??? Well I tried to "pre-order" and it takes me to the Active site but nothing about the jackets on their end. I really wish rD would get it together :sad2:
Wondering if anyone else had the same issue ?? In the past the "pre-order" items have sold out but having it on the rD site then nothing on Active does not make any sense.
Not that I NEED another race jacket....but I always like to get one anyway. :rolleyes1

Anyone else notice on the rD site that there is a "link" to "pre-order" the jackets ??? Well I tried to "pre-order" and it takes me to the Active site but nothing about the jackets on their end. I really wish rD would get it together :sad2:
Wondering if anyone else had the same issue ?? In the past the "pre-order" items have sold out but having it on the rD site then nothing on Active does not make any sense.
Not that I NEED another race jacket....but I always like to get one anyway. :rolleyes1

They are most likely sold out/no longer taking orders. They order a limited number of the jackets based on the pre-orders and I imagine they have to cut off purchases as some point in order to get their order in to the manufacturer.

They are most likely sold out/no longer taking orders. They order a limited number of the jackets based on the pre-orders and I imagine they have to cut off purchases as some point in order to get their order in to the manufacturer.

I know but usually it says "sold out".

Medals in a spoiler tag in case anyone wants to be surprised!

dlh0938540923fi.png

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...p-on-disneyland-half-marathon-weekend-medals/

IM CRYING THESE ARE BEAUTIFUL....IM IN FOR 5K AND 10K BUT IM WILLING TO ATTEMPT A HALF SO I CAN GET THE OTHER ONES

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter