"Official" 2018 Disney After Hours (DAH) Thread (Now Closed, see New 2019 Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had an amazing night on 9/20! Crowds were not bad at all!

- Rode Aladdin right at 9 to let crowds clear out a little, then jungle cruise.
- BTMR 3 Times
-jungle cruise again with small crowd and great skipper!
- SDMT (15 min wait)
- buzz
- space 7 times in a row using the back shortcut
- SDMT x2 (2 min and 0 min wait)

Plus stops for snacks.

This event is so great! Will definitely be doing again if they keep the numbers the same!!

We had the best time on 9/20! Crowds were great.

Pre-party (we got there around 7:15 and just hung around most of the time, relaxing and enjoying):
  • country bear
  • big thunder mountain
  • Aladdin (during the fireworks - highly recommend)
  • Dole whip float

During the party:
  • jungle cruise
  • pirates x2
  • big thunder mountain x3
  • haunted mansion x2
  • Peter Pan
  • tea cups
  • Astro orbiters
  • space mountain
  • buzz x2
  • mine train
  • 3 snack breaks

We had an amazing time on 9/20! We arrived just after HEA started and went up to the train platform to watch, then let some crowds filter out. Right before 9 we did Jungle Cruise and had a very funny skipper. Then once the party started, we did:
  • Pirates
  • BTMR x2
  • Snack break - 2 Mickey bars and waters
  • HM
  • IASW - wish we had done PP instead. PP was 25 minute wait afterward so we moved on
  • 7DMT - 15 min wait, amazing!
  • Tea Cups
  • PeopleMover
  • SM
  • Snack break - Popcorn, Coke, and water
  • Wandered around Main Street, in and out of shops
Finally left around 11:40 and waited almost 20 mins for the bus back to AKL. Overall not too bad, although we were dog tired haha. I would do it again in a heartbeat, especially during cooler months. We may try it again in Feb or March. :D

Frontier.jpg

SM Q.jpg

Hub Area.jpg

Castle.jpg

Main Street.jpg

I was too busy enjoying our vacation to update on 9/20. We had a wonderful time! We methodically made our way from Tomorrowland to Frontierland to Adventureland and ended in Fantasyland. Ended with three rides in a row on 7DMT in the last 15 minutes.

We were given lanyards when we checked in at Tortuga just after 6 pm.

I was too busy enjoying our vacation to update on 9/20. We had a wonderful time! We methodically made our way from Tomorrowland to Frontierland to Adventureland and ended in Fantasyland. Ended with three rides in a row on 7DMT in the last 15 minutes.

We were given lanyards when we checked in at Tortuga just after 6 pm.

Hey, so OT for this thread, but what’s your final takeaway on the garden dessert party that night? We did the After Party version and it seemed more crowded than the few reports around the DIS have to date suggested.

We got to the garden around 7:45 and while there was room to squeeze in, it was pretty full. I’ve done the Plaza Garden several times and this night seemed right there on that “acceptable” line for crowds in the garden for a “premium” event, from my view. I think I’m ultimately fine with our overall experience, but it was certainly close. Curious as to your perspective?

Hey, so OT for this thread, but what’s your final takeaway on the garden dessert party that night? We did the After Party version and it seemed more crowded than the few reports around the DIS have to date suggested.

We got to the garden around 7:45 and while there was room to squeeze in, it was pretty full. I’ve done the Plaza Garden several times and this night seemed right there on that “acceptable” line for crowds in the garden for a “premium” event, from my view. I think I’m ultimately fine with our overall experience, but it was certainly close. Curious as to your perspective?

Very similar to yours. We would do it again but, if it were any more crowded, I would likely be annoyed, lol. We arrived just before you ~7:40. As I mentioned, we overheard a CM tell a late-arriving couple the party was oversold and they didn’t have enough tables for everyone (the couple was placed at a table already vacated by an earlier arriving party). That surprised me, apparently the sky is the limit for tickets sold! Also interesting to me, they requested we use the terrace buffet line, not the one in the plaza section.

Do we know if 9/20 was sold out yet? We're going on 12/3 and there still seems to be tickets available on the WDW's website...although, as we just found out that doesn't mean that's accurate.

Mike

We went to the 9/20 DAH! Let me start by saying that we had an absolutely amazing time. It was pricy since we bought it at last minute…over $500 bucks for the four of us.

We arrived around 6:45pm and I bought the tickets. We were not given lanyards. We were told to pick them up as we were leaving. I wish I had just gone over to City Hall then because we noticed many people wearing them throughout the night. I heard many people say that they had to beg for them. I should have had them during the event. It would have been good for pictures.

Once we were checked it, we rode a few rides and watched the fireworks in Fantasyland. It was super hot (or at least we thought it was). We went to the people mover for a few go rounds to kill time.

I will say that I was checking arms for bracelets before the party started. I didn’t see many. I was taking this as a very good sign.

At 9pm, we headed to Buzz. We rode once and got off. Then we went two times without having to get off. No wait…just the time it took to walk through the queue.

My nieces headed to Space Mountain and we headed to Jungle Cruise. We got popcorns and drinks before Jungle Cruise. We then all met up. The girls and my mom had ice cream, I had popcorn.

We rode Pirates then got drinks. Our ride on Pirates was the only negative experience of the whole night. There was no one getting on the ride except one other couple who was already on the boat. We had asked for two rows since there was four of us. We wanted to spread out. The cast member was down-right crappy with my nieces. We go to board the boat and I turned back and said (very sweetly) “Ma’am, there isn’t anyone here, do you mind if we split up between two rows?” She very curtly (no exaggeration said “Fine, if you have to, do it….take the next two rows.” I was shocked. Once the ride started, the couple in front of us turned around and said they couldn’t believe how crappy she was especially being that no one was around.

When we came out there were very few people around. It was cool and creepy at the same time!

We rode Splash on our own log—walk on. It was great. We laughed at all of the empty log pictures. This ride was followed by ice cream bars for the girls, popcorn for me and drinks for everyone. I brought zip log baggies and this really came in handy. Side note-- We past one cart that had a line. We did not stop unless it was a short line.

We rode Haunted Mansion followed by ice cream bars for the girls and drinks for the group. I think this was the biggest group of people we were with all night.

We walked by the Tangled PP. I wanted to stop by there was a decent sized line and I really wanted to get more rides in.

Peter Pan had a 25 minute wait as we passed. I asked the CM and she said it was accurate. It was very crowded. It seemed so strange to have that much of a wait.

We rode Pooh twice without getting off. Absolute walk on.

My one niece and I rode Mine Train. It took us about 6-7 minutes to get on.

We got water and the girls tried another ice cream bar. It was a perfect opportunity to get things they wouldn’t normally get.

Peter Pan was a walk on. They made us get off and we took a short cut to get back on.

Small World was a walk on. We had on our own boat

Headed out, grabbed waters for the road and picked up our lanyards at City Hall.

We waited about 15 minutes for the bus back to Yacht Club. The bus was full but not packed. One woman I talked to on our bus said that she had been to previous events and this was very crowded compared to priors. Wow! I wish I had attended the others. We were dog tired by the time we got back to the resort and we all crashed. Thank goodness we didn’t have a park planned for the next am. We needed to rest up for MNSSHP!

I wish I had bought the tickets earlier to save a few bucks but I am so glad that we did it. Everyone in our group agreed that it was absolutely worth the money. The only time I noticed any real crowd was when we were leaving close to midnight. All of the event goers were all on Main Street at the same time.

Without a doubt, I would absolutely do DAH again. Yes, it is expensive but if you want that empty park feel and the ability to ride a lot of rides, it worth the money.

You don't have to have valid park admission to purchase the Disney after hours pass correct? I am planning on going on 01/24/2019 but plan to go to Animal Kingdom in the morning and then hopefully purchase this to use at night. I know the early morning tickets they mention you must have valid park admission, but just want to make sure before I drop on the money on this.

I know this is probably already asked somewhere on the 200+ pages, so I apologize.

You don't have to have valid park admission to purchase the Disney after hours pass correct? I am planning on going on 01/24/2019 but plan to go to Animal Kingdom in the morning and then hopefully purchase this to use at night. I know the early morning tickets they mention you must have valid park admission, but just want to make sure before I drop on the money on this.

I know this is probably already asked somewhere on the 200+ pages, so I apologize.

Correct, you don’t need regular theme park admission for DAH, only a DAH ticket. You may enter the park officially at 7pm, which in practice has been more like 6pm generally speaking.

Hope that helps!

Correct, you don’t need regular theme park admission for DAH, only a DAH ticket. You may enter the park officially at 7pm, which in practice has been more like 6pm generally speaking.

Hope that helps!

That was very helpful. Thank you very much. From what I read on the disney website it did not look like you needed theme park admission but I just wanted to double check. I will probably go ahead and purchase them sometime in the next couple of days once I talk to the miss!

I wrote a bit about our 9/20 (9pm-12am) experience up thread but back and going through pics. Really just an unbelievably fun night, zero complaints. I did MNSSHP the next night and wow, what a contrast. I used to plan trips specifically for MNSSHP. Unless this event changes materially, I think I'd be more likely to build trips around DAH when able. Felt more "worth it" to me.

I think it is very hard to peg exact crowds at this thing because it's kind of lumpy - parts of the park can have more folks than others. This seemed similar to 6/30, maybe a touch lighter crowds. HEA was at 8 and OUAT was at 8:45pm on this night. There seemed to be a smaller day guest overall crowd by 9pm than on our 6/30 night (which for reference was 10pm-1am).

This trip was me and DD4. I wasn't really going to stay the whole time and was fully prepared to leave when she was showing signs of being done - I've always let my kids set the pace and I adjust when needed - but she hung with me hard. We did all the princesses (almost no waits) and many rides over and over and over again. The only material line we ran into was PP (posted 25 and I'm sure it was shorter, but the line kind of looked more than I was OK with at the time), the Tangled Lantern (20 people deep), and 7DMT (did not go on it so not sure actual).

Going to MK with a little one who is still wide-eyed and mesmerized by everything is quite refreshing, to be honest. With such a low crowd, stress-free situation... soaking in the moment comes easier. Really fun Disney memories for sure.

Anyways, a few photos. REMEMBER, I think photos of this event can kind of be misleading. Of course I only took photos of empty places. There are plenty of times where it is NOT this empty, so just keep that in mind.

9:35pm
IMG_5132.jpeg

9:37pm. Snack/drink carts lines were materially smaller this night than 6/30. Not really sure why? I never saw a line until the one in the Hub towards the end of the night.
IMG_5134.jpeg

DD4 did not appreciate that spending time on a long ride like IASW was not good use of expensive up-charge event time. We rode twice. :-)
IMG_5164.jpeg

10:33pm.
IMG_5172.jpeg

Many make the observation that CMs seem to be in good spirits on DAH nights, and I tend to agree. This was a small example. These custodial CMs had made a Mickey on the ground. They stood there silently, but if you stepped into or put an arm in the Mickey head, they'd hoot and cheer loudly. As soon as you stepped away, they'd stop.

It was quirky, good spirited fun.

IMG_5183.jpeg

10:38pm....
IMG_5184.jpeg

11:33pm....
IMG_5216.jpeg

11:44pm.....
IMG_5218.jpeg

11:52pm...
IMG_5224.jpeg

Love having Main Street vehicles out. So fun.

Love whatever castle light/music show they do sporadically during the night. Still wish I knew what this was called.

Find the right PhotoPass photographer who will work with you and you can get some really cool Main Street and castle photos.

Kiss Goodnight was promptly at 12am.

Emporium doors shut at 12am. If you want to buy something, don't wait until the way out.

I don't recall any major problems/delays getting back to GF. Poly and GF shared a bus.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble... happy to answer any questions.

I attended 9/20 on a spur of the moment trip that literally was solidified at 4:30pm day of.

We had tried to make earlier summer events but for reasons beyond our control we were unable to. This was our third DAH this year (1/30 and 3/1) and we were very much looking forward to what I consider is the best possible time to spend in the MK.

The only problem I had with the entire trip was leading up to it. I could not get any transactions to go through on the website and could not buy tickets or book a room online. Because we waited the day of, we did not secure $89 pass holder tickets and had to pay full, day of price at $125 per. We made the extra expense up by opting to stay at the All Star family of resorts in lieu of our typical mainstay, The Cabins at FW. We figured it was an easy compromise to keep our bottom line the same since we were just going for the night and would only be sleeping in the room, checking out the following day and hitting the parks for a bit before traversing home. On our way down the app was indicating that I had booked two All Star resorts and one cabin. Obviously part of my online transactions were going through while the ticket part was not. A quick call to Disney got everything straightened while making the drive from just outside of Jacksonville.

We left just after 5 and arrived at the MK Parking lot just a few minutes past 8. I was a little disappointed that we didn't get lanyards or see the opportunity to obtain one. We keep things like those so it was a small bummer.

We started out in Frontierland just prior to event start time and systematically worked out way around the park. Fantasyland proved to be the focal point consistent with past events. For some reason PP was the longest wait by a long shot. I think we waited 15 minutes or thereabouts. All other rides were Walk Ons for us. The next longest wait was meeting Aerial. My daughter (5) really enjoys meeting the princesses. We paced ourselves and was able to get a great deal done as we have done in the past. I noticed an extended line at the Lantern photo op but otherwise everything seemed par for the event. We ended the night of course as planned on Main Street meeting Mickey and TinkerBell. We have been to the park numerous times since Mickey quit talking but this was our first meet and greet since that occurred. I tried telling my daughter he didn't talk anymore but she didn't believe me. She was quite taken aback when we were in the room waiting our turn and realized he wasn't really talking. I wish I would have gotten that reaction on video.

All in all this event is still very much worth the price of admission for my family. We look forward to attending more in the future.

I think as others have stated that wait times can come in waves and what might have a 10-15 minute wait could literally be walk on in 20 minutes. I think it varies with how groups move within the park at any given time with the majority of the crowd being centralized in FantasyLand and becoming more widespread as you work to the exterior of the park in all directions. We had a full boat on IASW and when we circled back no one was in line and all I could see was empty boats leaving. It is very random and moreless a luck of the draw in how long you may wait. Just go in with the mentality that even at its worst, these will be the shortest wait times you will EVER encounter.

Truth be told, I may opt out of an annual pass and just choose to do these throughout the year along with the parties. Its something my wife and I are considering and are weighing our options. We already get pretty decent discounts on rooms and standard tickets being FL residents but not sure what option we will choose moving forward.

Hi there!

FYI, what I think I'm planning to do is start a new 2019 thread here at some point, so will try to capture this and others on a new one. Need to find the time to sit down and work on it! :-)
:thanks:
No worries, I'll keep watch and ask you to add me to the list after you have one going!
NonnaT

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter