OFFICIAL 2018 Christmas & Holiday Time at DLR Superthread!!

We were there this weekend, both days. Got there a few minutes after opening and went to DCA to get our candy cane wristbands. Our pickup time was 11:30, small line, no hassles at all. It's our first time getting them and they are awesome!

We tried a few holiday treats and some of the Festival Of Holidays booths:
Sugar Plum churro - delicious, I loved it, tasted like blackberry to me
Sour Apple churro with caramel dipping sauce - I didn't really care for this one but DH liked it, it does not smell good :)
Peppermint crunch shake at Schmoozies - OMG, this was soo good. It's beautiful and the whipped cream is a delightfully unnatural color

Pork Adobo - DH thought it was the best of what he tried, I'm not really a fan
Shrimp and grits - I really liked this, the andouille had a bit of a kick in some bites
Chorizo queso fundido - delicious, spicy, chips were really good
Pumpkin soup - it was good, I thought it would be more like butternut squash but it was much more savory and thick than I was expecting
Turkey tamale - this was good, tasted like turkey dinner, but it was kind of bland, cranberry was the strongest flavor so that's mostly what you tasted in every bite
Reuben tater tots - I love Reubens so these were great, would be really easy to make at home too

Also picked up the Alien Santa popcorn bucket, plenty left

There just was not enough time to eat everything, we were always full :)

Last edited:
I feel vindicated that others think the sugar plum churros tasted like blackberry too, lol!

I was updating the calendar thread, when I noticed that the DCA holiday activities are slated to run through Tuesday, January 8th (coinciding with the end of the Three Kings' Day Celebration), while the activities in DL end on Sunday, January 6th. So it looks like DCA will still be in holiday mode for an additional two days!

The crowds are amazing for today (1st park day)! We’re enjoying holiday goodies and decor. We even got to open the park today!!! I will report more later but hoping the rain isn’t too bad tomorrow and Thursday

The crowds are amazing for today (1st park day)! We’re enjoying holiday goodies and decor. We even got to open the park today!!! I will report more later but hoping the rain isn’t too bad tomorrow and Thursday
I’m not sure what to do. I’ll just be there the weekend. Don’t know if I should bring boots in case it’s bad Thursday. Flying. Checking a suitcase so NBD. what would you do?

I am arriving tomorrow. Weather forecast not looking too good for tomorrow and Thursday. I know some like park in the rain, unfortunately I am not one of them.

Sorry just checking in now but rain yesterday was not terrible- a couple periods of rain but it stopped within 10-20 mins so you could duck into something (ride or attraction) and when you left it was drizzle or stopped completely! I wore tennis shoes and kept dry, one kid must have stepped in puddles her feet got wet, my youngest stayed dry too. We wore rain slickers and layered lots of warm under because it was COLD but stayed dry other then one rain fall that we had left our jackets in the stroller for and we were on a ride. The crowds were AMAZING and I don’t love rainy park days- Id chose that day again ANYTIME!! All FP were basically immediate FP returns all day with the exception of RSR which ran out at maybe 7 pm?! Even standby lines we’re almost nothing- posted at 10-20 mins and most were actually walk on too!! We had a blast this Tuesday and Wednesday and today is a rest day. It’s supposed to rain today off and on but I bet crowds will be great again. FW went off last night which was shocking since it was cold and rainy and windy in my opinion, so you never know! After today the rain is supposed to go away for a while so should be nice weather after that! Let me know if you have questions as we’re off today- my DD is doing high tea today and we’re enjoying all the holiday goodies we have brought back to our room (too full haha)

One more day! I can't wait. My bucket list mission is getting a candy cane. Any tips from the folks who recently visited?

One more day! I can't wait. My bucket list mission is getting a candy cane. Any tips from the folks who recently visited?
Get there well before rope drop for your candy cane!! We lucked out in getting our candy canes with no wait. I’d actually forgotten about them :sad2: We got to DL before rope drop and when they let us in there was a rush of people going to Candy Palace on Main Street. Then I remembered!! We just followed the crowd and immediately got a ‘pick up now’ wristband. They have no problem with you picking them up later as long as it was before 2:30 so that’s what we did because I didn’t want to pack them around all day. We popped back in later and had maybe a 5 minute wait to pick them up and pay. Good luck!!

Wow- the rain earlier this week really made the crowds LOW! The warm weather and weekend has made the parks a lot busier and compared to the crazy low crowds it makes it seem even worse haha luckily we were able to get candy canes with the rain in DLR no line, no wait, no problem! We opted to do KBF today and Disney tomorrow so hoping the crowds are a bit lower and FP more available. We were able to do every ride in the park minus a couple my family did not want to do at all (mostly rides like Roger Rabbit and storyboats) in the first 2 days so now we’re doing lots of repeat favorites and relaxing for shows, fun experiences, foods, photos, etc. if anyone has questions we’re here until Tuesday in the parks

Wow 10 more days for us!! DD has already packed. Can't wait to arrive and surprise the kiddos with where we are staying. It has been incredibly hard planning and not mentioning we are staying at DLH.

Wow- the rain earlier this week really made the crowds LOW! The warm weather and weekend has made the parks a lot busier and compared to the crazy low crowds it makes it seem even worse haha luckily we were able to get candy canes with the rain in DLR no line, no wait, no problem! We opted to do KBF today and Disney tomorrow so hoping the crowds are a bit lower and FP more available. We were able to do every ride in the park minus a couple my family did not want to do at all (mostly rides like Roger Rabbit and storyboats) in the first 2 days so now we’re doing lots of repeat favorites and relaxing for shows, fun experiences, foods, photos, etc. if anyone has questions we’re here until Tuesday in the parks
I was there Saturday and didn't think it was that busy...granted I only stayed until 12:30pm.

What is the story with parade package on 12/31 being cancelled now that I can't rebook for our other days as it is too late?? Got an apology email and told to rebook between 12/29-1/2 instead because of additional offerings that day??? Nothing available as I expected and I'm so disappointed. Any thoughts??

What is the story with parade package on 12/31 being cancelled now that I can't rebook for our other days as it is too late?? Got an apology email and told to rebook between 12/29-1/2 instead because of additional offerings that day??? Nothing available as I expected and I'm so disappointed. Any thoughts??
That stinks. I'm sorry.

I agree! I booked it as soon as I could and the email just came saying nope sorry no parade view for you, and anyone else booked.I suppose on the flip side I just saved $80 but crikey, holiday parade at that time of year?!?! My DD told me since we are there open to close she wanted to nap in the park since we wouldn't be leaving.....oh and did I say she was turning 21 that day too???:rotfl2:

I agree! I booked it as soon as I could and the email just came saying nope sorry no parade view for you, and anyone else booked.I suppose on the flip side I just saved $80 but crikey, holiday parade at that time of year?!?! My DD told me since we are there open to close she wanted to nap in the park since we wouldn't be leaving.....oh and did I say she was turning 21 that day too???:rotfl2:
If it’s any help, we did the parade on a very busy capacity day last year on 12/27. We found a great seat about an hour before, by the fire hydrant in front of carnation cafe.

Disneyland first timer here!!!
Christmas Eve, 12/26 and 12/27!

It's rumored I'm going to be engaged one of these days too :love:

Going to enjoy going through this thread after work today!

Can anyone recommend a 3 day itinerary in general for both parks (and likely 2 days in the land)?

C

Can anyone recommend a 3 day itinerary in general for both parks (and likely 2 days in the land)?

Go check out Disneyland daily on Facebook and her blog! Her itinerary is the best!

Congratulations! I got engaged during Christmas at Disneyland 5 years ago and it was definitely magical. Enjoy your trip! :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter