Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

I won't post a pic because I know some of you aren't wanting to see it beforehand, but if the medal that runDisney just tweeted is in fact the Dark Side medal.....:smooth:

I know one Disney Twitter I followed showed a ‘Poe’ virtual run shirt...makes me wonder if they will make the former DL races virtual due to the hiatus

I know one Disney Twitter I followed showed a ‘Poe’ virtual run shirt...makes me wonder if they will make the former DL races virtual due to the hiatus
That’s what I was thinking from the pic. It shows virtual half medal, dark side half medal and the kessel run medal in the middle.

Seems odd to me... essentially getting two medals for running a VIRTUAL half?

Yup: https://www.rundisney.com/star-wars-virtual-half-marathon/?CMP=SOC-ESPNWWOSFY18Q1DisneySports0038

“Race through the galaxy on a course of your choosing for the inaugural Star Wars Virtual Half Marathon! Whether you break up your 13.1 miles over multiple days or rack up the mileage all at once, runners will earn a one-of-a-kind, Star Wars-themed medal for their accomplishment. Don't miss out on this Star Wars adventure like no other.

Plus, you can enhance your Star Wars race journey by participating in both the Star Wars Virtual Half Marathon at home and the Star WarsDark Side Half Marathon taking place on April 22, 2018 at Walt Disney World® Resort in Florida. Those who take on this ultimate Star Warschallenge will earn the coveted runDisney Kessel Run Challenge medal!

Last edited:

Now for the obvious question: can I switch to a challenge instead of just DS half??

runDisney Kessel Run Challenge
Registration Dates: January 3 – February 28, 2018

Star Wars Virtual Half Marathon
Completion Timeframe: January 3 – March 31, 2018

Star Wars Dark Side Half Marathon
April 22, 2018 at Walt Disney World® Resort, Florida

——————-
ETA: they made it easy. You can just add the Kessel Run Challenge if you’re already registered for Dark Side Half.

Last edited:
I'm thrilled! As I posted in the SW virtual run thread, the Kessel Run is why I started running and I wasn't able to do it until this year. I was devastated when LS was cancelled, so I'm really happy to have the opportunity to earn this. And think what you want about virtual runs, I WILL earn this as if I were still doing it on property. (Anyone want to dress up and pose for pics with me on my route??)

I just accidentally signed up for just the Virtual Half, instead of the Kessel run challenge. I'm now signed up for both lol. Can I get a refund on the Virtual Half?

That’s what I was thinking from the pic. It shows virtual half medal, dark side half medal and the kessel run medal in the middle.

Seems odd to me... essentially getting two medals for running a VIRTUAL half?

Yup: https://www.rundisney.com/star-wars-virtual-half-marathon/?CMP=SOC-ESPNWWOSFY18Q1DisneySports0038

“Race through the galaxy on a course of your choosing for the inaugural Star Wars Virtual Half Marathon! Whether you break up your 13.1 miles over multiple days or rack up the mileage all at once, runners will earn a one-of-a-kind, Star Wars-themed medal for their accomplishment. Don't miss out on this Star Wars adventure like no other.

Plus, you can enhance your Star Wars race journey by participating in both the Star Wars Virtual Half Marathon at home and the Star Wars Dark Side Half Marathon taking place on April 22, 2018 at Walt Disney World® Resort in Florida. Those who take on this ultimate Star Wars challenge will earn the coveted runDisney Kessel Run Challenge medal!
I see what you're saying, but they are very clear on the website. In order to receive the Kessel Run Challenge medal, runners must report completing the Star Wars Virtual Half Marathon and complete the Dark Side Half according to the time guidelines set forth. If a runner does not complete the Dark Side Half according to the rules, they will not receive the Kessel Run medal.

I see what you're saying, but they are very clear on the website. In order to receive the Kessel Run Challenge medal, runners must report completing the Star Wars Virtual Half Marathon and complete the Dark Side Half according to the time guidelines set forth. If a runner does not complete the Dark Side Half according to the rules, they will not receive the Kessel Run medal.
I understand that. You still get the Kessel run (and virtual half medals) essentially on a handshake.

Feels “ok” specifically because the DL races are out... otherwise, seems like too much of a loosening of standards if they were to do this long term. IMO.

I understand that. You still get the Kessel run (and virtual half medals) essentially on a handshake.

Feels “ok” specifically because the DL races are out... otherwise, seems like too much of a loosening of standards if they were to do this long term. IMO.
I agree with you there.

I think there are multiple angles at play here.

1. This specific medal may have already been designed or in process of design. So why not at least use that design?

2. How many Dark Side registrations did they refund after Light Side was canceled? This is at least an attempt to try and get some of those runners back.

3. It may be a test towards offering future virtual half marathons. We know that they liked the results (read revenue) from the Virtual 5K series to continue offering those options for a 3rd year. The current popularity of Star Wars makes it a good test to see how much interest there is in runDisney virtual Half marathons. All that said, I do not believe this is a path to some sort of virtual coast to coast component pending the final resolution of runDisney events in California. I don't see them awarding a Coast to Coast medal when runners did not have to complete races on each coast.

If this does proves successful and runDisney returns to California, I think the Coast to Coast will return and future virtual half marathons will not have challenge medal components.

I am late to the game, but noticed that the 10K was sold out other than with the challenge. Does anyone think they'll open any more slots for the 10K if they don't get a lot more registrations for the challenge? I remember that happened for Wine & Dine, the 10K was sold out then bam, more slots opened. I've never ran a half, 10K has been my furthest and I'm afraid it's too late to start training for a half at this point, I've been horribly slacking at running the past few months, last race was a 5K in October.

I am late to the game, but noticed that the 10K was sold out other than with the challenge. Does anyone think they'll open any more slots for the 10K if they don't get a lot more registrations for the challenge? I remember that happened for Wine & Dine, the 10K was sold out then bam, more slots opened. I've never ran a half, 10K has been my furthest and I'm afraid it's too late to start training for a half at this point, I've been horribly slacking at running the past few months, last race was a 5K in October.
I think they might.

I have used their travel partners in the past, (pegasus), to obtain sold out bibs. You have to purchase a 2 night stay and 2 day park pass, but I needed those anyway so it was a win win for me. They were great to work with and had welcome bags for us at the hotel with race pins and goodies. If that fits for you check it out.

I was able to get into the sold-out 10K at Princess through a travel provider, and they only required two room nights (no tickets - I'm AP so works out great). PM me and I'll be happy to share their info. (Not sure if it's cool to post here.)

I understand that. You still get the Kessel run (and virtual half medals) essentially on a handshake. IMO.

If it makes you feel better, they don't give the Kessel until you finish the on-site Dark Side Half. So even if you sat on your duff and never trained for the DS half, you'd at least have to do one half to get that.

That said, I plan to make the virtual half fun and a part of the DS half training. And I am ridiculously excited. I went from "I'm getting a little tired of WDW" and "I'm never doing another half again" to signed up for two more in less than 24 hours :) Sure, I'm a little crazy, but OMG the costume potential!

If it makes you feel better, they don't give the Kessel until you finish the on-site Dark Side Half. So even if you sat on your duff and never trained for the DS half, you'd at least have to do one half to get that.
I know. Still doesn’t change my statement. :)

Regardless, like you I plan to use the virtual half as a long training run for DS. :thumbsup2 My sister and I are totally in!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter