Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

I am late to the game, but noticed that the 10K was sold out other than with the challenge. Does anyone think they'll open any more slots for the 10K if they don't get a lot more registrations for the challenge? I remember that happened for Wine & Dine, the 10K was sold out then bam, more slots opened. I've never ran a half, 10K has been my furthest and I'm afraid it's too late to start training for a half at this point, I've been horribly slacking at running the past few months, last race was a 5K in October.
Actually, I believe you have plenty of time to train for the half and maybe even the challenge if you wanted to. You already have more experience running than I did when I started training for my first half. I had never run any kind of race before my first half in 2011. Even then my training started uneven and I eventually had to skip the low mileage weekends to get all my long runs in before the half. Meaning I increased my long distance run by 1.5 miles per week culminating in running 14 miles 2 weeks before the half.

This is only the 3rd week of the Galloway plan for the Half or the First Order Challenge. Here's what the plan looks like for the rest of month. Note that the back to back runs start in February for the challenge per the Galloway plan. I used the beginner plan for the Half taken directly from the runDisney website.

First Order Challenge Half
January 6: 5 miles January 6: 4 miles
January 13: 3 miles January 13: 2 miles
January 20: 6.5 miles January 20: 5 miles
January 27: 4 miles January 27: 6.5 miles

The Galloway plans for both the challenge and the half also call for 2 maintenance runs of 30-45 minutes a week, usually on Tuesday and Thursday.

If you want to run the half only, then all you really need to do is just walk 4 miles this Saturday and you will be "caught up" with the Galloway plan. Don't worry about speed. Just focus on getting 4 consecutive miles in. Consistently training will allow you to build up your endurance and speed especially if you do the maintenance runs no slower than the minimum pace of 16 minutes per mile. The maintenance runs are the key to maintaining your current level and the long runs allow you to build up the necessary endurance.

Now, let's say you want to run the challenge. My idea is not an "attempt" to get those missing 2 weeks back. Rather it's an attempt to start from where you are and safely build up the mileage to catch up with the Galloway plan before long. The 1.5 increase from the 6th to the 13th is fine and the 2 mile increase from the 13th to the 20th is not dangerous.

January 6: 3 miles
January 13: 4.5 miles
January 20: 6.5 miles

Under this modification, you are "caught up" on January 20th. Again, don't focus on speed right now. Focus on getting the miles in on the "long" runs and the minutes in on the maintenance runs. Doing the twice a week maintenance runs will allow you to keep your most recent long distance for roughly 2-3 weeks. If you were to do those maintenance runs and start training this Saturday, you will be "caught up" with the Galloway plan by January 20th for the First Order Challenge and can then resume the Galloway plan as outlined.

Now, if you sign up for the half or the challenge and follow the Galloway plan, you will have a 12.5 mile long run on March 24th. Just add in another 0.6 miles to that run and voila, you've gone 13.1 miles on or before March 31st and are thus eligible for Kessel Run if you complete the Dark Side Half in April.

I used a similar modified plan to get my sister ready for a half after she started training 3-4 weeks after the plan formally began and used the gradual build up principles on distance runs to get myself from an exhausting 5 miles after not having run in 6 weeks to the Avengers Half on just 3 weeks training. You have over 3 months until the Dark Side half. If you really want to do it, you can.

Actually, I believe you have plenty of time to train for the half and maybe even the challenge if you wanted to. You already have more experience running than I did when I started training for my first half. I had never run any kind of race before my first half in 2011. Even then my training started uneven and I eventually had to skip the low mileage weekends to get all my long runs in before the half. Meaning I increased my long distance run by 1.5 miles per week culminating in running 14 miles 2 weeks before the half.

This is only the 3rd week of the Galloway plan for the Half or the First Order Challenge. Here's what the plan looks like for the rest of month. Note that the back to back runs start in February for the challenge per the Galloway plan. I used the beginner plan for the Half taken directly from the runDisney website.

First Order Challenge Half
January 6: 5 miles January 6: 4 miles
January 13: 3 miles January 13: 2 miles
January 20: 6.5 miles January 20: 5 miles
January 27: 4 miles January 27: 6.5 miles

The Galloway plans for both the challenge and the half also call for 2 maintenance runs of 30-45 minutes a week, usually on Tuesday and Thursday.

If you want to run the half only, then all you really need to do is just walk 4 miles this Saturday and you will be "caught up" with the Galloway plan. Don't worry about speed. Just focus on getting 4 consecutive miles in. Consistently training will allow you to build up your endurance and speed especially if you do the maintenance runs no slower than the minimum pace of 16 minutes per mile. The maintenance runs are the key to maintaining your current level and the long runs allow you to build up the necessary endurance.

Now, let's say you want to run the challenge. My idea is not an "attempt" to get those missing 2 weeks back. Rather it's an attempt to start from where you are and safely build up the mileage to catch up with the Galloway plan before long. The 1.5 increase from the 6th to the 13th is fine and the 2 mile increase from the 13th to the 20th is not dangerous.

January 6: 3 miles
January 13: 4.5 miles
January 20: 6.5 miles

Under this modification, you are "caught up" on January 20th. Again, don't focus on speed right now. Focus on getting the miles in on the "long" runs and the minutes in on the maintenance runs. Doing the twice a week maintenance runs will allow you to keep your most recent long distance for roughly 2-3 weeks. If you were to do those maintenance runs and start training this Saturday, you will be "caught up" with the Galloway plan by January 20th for the First Order Challenge and can then resume the Galloway plan as outlined.

Now, if you sign up for the half or the challenge and follow the Galloway plan, you will have a 12.5 mile long run on March 24th. Just add in another 0.6 miles to that run and voila, you've gone 13.1 miles on or before March 31st and are thus eligible for Kessel Run if you complete the Dark Side Half in April.

I used a similar modified plan to get my sister ready for a half after she started training 3-4 weeks after the plan formally began and used the gradual build up principles on distance runs to get myself from an exhausting 5 miles after not having run in 6 weeks to the Avengers Half on just 3 weeks training. You have over 3 months until the Dark Side half. If you really want to do it, you can.

Wow! Thank you for the vote of confidence, you have more than I do for sure! Something to think about, I have been sick all week so have done NOTHING, even going up the stairs has winded me!

So my Marathon Weekend plans were dashed after my flights were cancelled, and all other options proved fruitless. Sitting here bummed out, and daughter and I are looking at the Darkside as a possibility. I've never done any other runDisney event than Marathon Weekend. I know a half marathon weekend isn't going to match Marathon Weekend for the full pomp, but I was wondering what people think of it compared to Marathon Weekend, and the Darkside race in particular. I'm not especially a Star Wars fan, but then I'm not especially a Disney fan either (heresy!). I am a big runDisney fan, though, because I think they do an outstanding job of organization and entertainment. How do you think the Darkside stacks up to the other weekends in that regard?

I am late to the game, but noticed that the 10K was sold out other than with the challenge. Does anyone think they'll open any more slots for the 10K if they don't get a lot more registrations for the challenge? I remember that happened for Wine & Dine, the 10K was sold out then bam, more slots opened. I've never ran a half, 10K has been my furthest and I'm afraid it's too late to start training for a half at this point, I've been horribly slacking at running the past few months, last race was a 5K in October.
Most training plans for half marathons are about 10 weeks long. You have plenty of time.

So my Marathon Weekend plans were dashed after my flights were cancelled, and all other options proved fruitless. Sitting here bummed out, and daughter and I are looking at the Darkside as a possibility. I've never done any other runDisney event than Marathon Weekend. I know a half marathon weekend isn't going to match Marathon Weekend for the full pomp, but I was wondering what people think of it compared to Marathon Weekend, and the Darkside race in particular. I'm not especially a Star Wars fan, but then I'm not especially a Disney fan either (heresy!). I am a big runDisney fan, though, because I think they do an outstanding job of organization and entertainment. How do you think the Darkside stacks up to the other weekends in that regard?

You are correct in assuming that no other race weekend compares to Marathon Weekend! I did the marathon 2 years ago and the cancelled half last year. We did end up running the Half around the resorts and Disney springs like so many others. That was an amazing experience, so many people out in the rain wearing there costumes earning that medal. I have done Wine and Dine every year but 1! I also did the inaugural Star wars in California. This year will be my first Florida Star wars Race. Each race weekend has been different and provided me with a distinct favorite aspect from the weekend. The California races were awesome because you roll out of bed and hour before the gun and walk to your corral about 30 minutes before! Crowd support through the community was huge too. There were bands, cheer squads and costumed star wars fanatics. I loved WINE and Dine when it was a night race. The After party was amazing with thousands of Sweaty runners celebrating their accomplishment and the numbers of people that wore costumes was insane. You actually felt out of place if you weren't costumed up in some way. This years morning race had less costumed runners and the party is less festive, but smells better. However, we did gain a challenge and it is nice to relax, get cleaned up and thoroughly enjoy the after party. Comparing W&D to Marathon weekend- Both are amazing in there own ways. Marathon weekend amazes me by the sheer number of runners. They are everywhere from a week before to a week after the races. It gets to a point that everyone in the parks has a medal of some sort. W&D has less participants and you see fewer medals in the parks. You still benefit from the amazing organization, on course characters and a shorter walk to the corrals. The Half course is excellent as well, roaming through 3 of the parks. I think you would have a great weekend at Star Wars. I believe the other weekends are a little less "RUN" focused and a little more "FUN" focused.

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you for the vote of confidence, you have more than I do for sure! Something to think about, I have been sick all week so have done NOTHING, even going up the stairs has winded me!
I had little to no confidence at all before my first half. I followed the plan hoping that it would get me where I needed to be on race day. I had no idea how or why it worked. Experience and continuing to learn has since helped me understand how the endurance necessary to finish a half is first created, then sustained, and eventually built up. It's a cumulative effect. As @FlashAM7 observed, you have plenty of time for either a 10 or 14 week plan. If you want to do this, find one that works for you and feels doable. When I first began training, I often thought it's a good thing the race isn't for a few months. At the end of that few months, I could go long distances with much less difficulty.

I'm not especially a Star Wars fan, but then I'm not especially a Disney fan either (heresy!). I am a big runDisney fan, though, because I think they do an outstanding job of organization and entertainment. How do you think the Darkside stacks up to the other weekends in that regard?
Sorry to hear about your marathon weekend plans changing. I can't address marathon weekend as I've never run it before. I did the Kessel Run with both challenges in 2017 and will do the Kessel Run with the 5K and First Order Challenge at Dark Side this year.

1. Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend is very themed and focuses exclusively on that theme. All the characters, photo ops, on course entertainment will be Star Wars themed. The medals will obviously be Star Wars themed. The official race merchandise will be roughly 90% Star Wars with the remaining being standard runDisney. Many runners in costume will be wearing Star Wars costumes with a few Disney/Star Wars mashups and a handful of other similar IP such as Star Trek, Harry Potter, and Spaceballs.

2. Now, if you love the runDisney experience and are fine with the theme even if you're not especially a Star Wars fan, I think you'll enjoy the race. Watching the movies again before the race might help you appreciate some of what they did. In 2017, they recreated the Battle for Endor from Return of the Jedi using lighting effects, sound, fog, and the surroundings. It was very cool for me, a lifelong Star Wars fan, to run through. It's also enjoyable to see the differences between race weekends especially when they have different themes. I ran Superheroes at Disneyland in November. Very different from the Star Wars races I've run at Disneyland, but also very enjoyable.

I'm a little surprised they didn't reveal the remaining Dark Side medals with the announcement of the virtual, especially since they revealed the half medal.

Since this will be my first Disney run experience can someone tell me how is the expo? Do a lot of you but stuff or just basically get your bib and leave? Does Disney give you any good swag in a gift bag of sorts/ A running shirt perhaps not cotton hopefully lol Just thought I ask.

Since this will be my first Disney run experience can someone tell me how is the expo? Do a lot of you but stuff or just basically get your bib and leave? Does Disney give you any good swag in a gift bag of sorts/ A running shirt perhaps not cotton hopefully lol Just thought I ask.

You will get a race shirt and a clear bag check bag.

Within the expo -you get some freebies - at Marathon this year we got small samples of Sports Beans, Chapstick, Applesauce. Other expos, I’ve also gotten Good Sense, bags, bananas.

Did anyone answer you question about openin slots for the 10k?

You need to go to the Expo to pick up your bib and race shirt. For the 10K and Half and/or Challenge, the race shirts will be tech shirts that work great for other races and training.

Some of the vendors will be giving samples away. Others may let you try out their product at the Expo. For instance, a company that makes a massage tool called The Stick was demonstrating it on runners sore muscles. Suffice it to say, both my sister and I bought multiple massage tools right then and there and I later told a coworker about it and she wound up purchasing it for her husband for Father's Day. Another vendor let my sister try on compression socks and she bought her first pair of compression socks right then and there.

While the official race merchandise is very popular, especially at runDisney, you can leave the Expo without buying anything. I think most runners at least check out the official race merchandise and at least for Star Wars, wind up buying at least something.

Question to those who ran last year assuming course for 10k is the same as last years darkside/wine and Dine did Star Wars have anything on the overpass a’la Sarge? Just curious

Actually,

I’m sitting here at marathon weekend thinking about how much I preferred dark side weekend. It was better, in every way, imo. Too many people at the parks and too cold for marathon weekend... Star Wars wins. The production was better for each race. There were a ton of fireworks before each corral and the on course entertainment was great especially through the forested section between MK and AK. Felt like you were running through a battle on the moon of Endor. The characters were great. Just seemed to have a better energy to me. Honestly, wine and dine, avengers and the light side 17 weekends were all preferred experiences to WDW 18 so far. Maybe the marathon tomorrow will change my mind.

Last edited:
Actually,

I’m sitting here at marathon weekend thinking about how much I preferred dark side weekend. It was better, in every way, imo. Too many people at the parks and too cold for marathon weekend... Star Wars wins. The production was better for each race. Their were substation fireworks before each corral and the on course entertainment was great especially through the forested section between MK and AK. Felt like you were running through a battle on the moon of Endor. The characters were great. Just seemed to have a better energy to me. Honestly, wine and dine, avengers and the light side 17 weekends were all preferred experiences to WDW 18 so far. Maybe the marathon tomorrow will change my mind.

The weather is definitely a big deal. The two Marathon Weekends I've attended have both been too cold to do any real swimming. My son (who made it down there this weekend) told me the half marathon actually got colder as he went along. It would be a relief to go down for a nice, warm weekend sometime.

I can see how the energy would be better on the half at Darkside. The half on Marathon Weekend is a bit of an afterthought compared to the full. Last time I did it the setup and the character stops on the half were identical to the first half of the full the next day. So I didn't get anything new on the marathon until we reached Animal Kingdom.

I’m sitting here at marathon weekend thinking about how much I preferred dark side weekend. It was better, in every way, imo. Too many people at the parks and too cold for marathon weekend... Star Wars wins.
After the literally freezing 5K a few years back, we vowed no more marathon weekend. Just too much of a gamble weather-wise. We’ve been sticking to W&D and DS for the most part. :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter