Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

Should I chance the $10 spear or should I craft one out of felt and a cardboard tube or something?

Picture of the spear for reference - https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/ninjago/images/f/f8/TLNMNya's_Spear.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20170526190518
It really is TOTALLY subjective, and one volunteer could say yes, while another could say no. What stands out to me as a potential issue here is its pointiness - that could present a problem. If it's important to you to have it in some way, I'd go the crafting route, just to be safe!

As I mentioned before an earlier post this will be my first Disney run. I am a pretty competitive Runner I run out of pace of about 9 give or take. My question to all you or Runners out there when you run in this race do you stop and enjoy taking pictures with the characters and enjoy the scenery and the atmosphere? I'm still a bit undecided on how I want to do this race. I have another half marathon a month after this so I'm not sure about that about not being competitive but also yet enjoying myself with all of the sights and sounds and pictures and whatnot. Just looking for advice on how lot of you run the raise and go from there. Looking for all as much as advice as I can get.
I've run some rD races for time, and I've run others with a gazillion stops - both are fun in their own ways! As your first, I'd absolutely suggest stopping for some pics and making the most of it. Another thing to know is that April in FL is pretty warm and can be downright HOT; that, alone, means slowing down for a lot of runners and makes it hard to run for time.

That's a tough one. I think you can argue that a plastic spear is no different from a toy lightsaber or plastic sword. But you don't know what security is going to say on race day itself.

It really is TOTALLY subjective, and one volunteer could say yes, while another could say no. What stands out to me as a potential issue here is its pointiness - that could present a problem. If it's important to you to have it in some way, I'd go the crafting route, just to be safe!

Thank you both! I think I'll craft it just to be safe. I'd feel better throwing away some felt-wrapped paper towel tubes than a toy. I'd rather not start that early of a morning with an argument :tongue:

As I mentioned before an earlier post this will be my first Disney run. I am a pretty competitive Runner I run out of pace of about 9 give or take. My question to all you or Runners out there when you run in this race do you stop and enjoy taking pictures with the characters and enjoy the scenery and the atmosphere? I'm still a bit undecided on how I want to do this race. I have another half marathon a month after this so I'm not sure about that about not being competitive but also yet enjoying myself with all of the sights and sounds and pictures and whatnot. Just looking for advice on how lot of you run the raise and go from there. Looking for all as much as advice as I can get.
While photo stops with characters is a decision with many different answers, make sure you enjoy the runDisney experience. Maybe this means a character photo or two along the course. Maybe it means race attire you'd never wear out in the real world during a more "serious" race. Or maybe it means you run for time, but enjoy the experience of running through the parks and seeing the fun stuff they do along the course such as movie clips or reenactments. I'm a slow runner, so I tend to pick and choose my photos according to how long the line is and how much I like that particular character.

I think it depends a couple of things. For this race especially how much you like star wars. This will be my fourth rundisney race and I only stopped for characters during the light side star wars race last year because our group needed our picture with BB-8. But in other races and was just happy with trying to PR and watching all the characters and atmosphere as I ran by since the character lines can get long. I guess it is important to note that there are characters to pose with before and after the race too if you still want to get a pic. It's just usually characters/settings that are different than on the course I think?
I really agree with this. I love Star Wars, so I take more photos during Star Wars races or even take chances that I wouldn't in another race.

I've run some rD races for time, and I've run others with a gazillion stops - both are fun in their own ways! As your first, I'd absolutely suggest stopping for some pics and making the most of it. Another thing to know is that April in FL is pretty warm and can be downright HOT; that, alone, means slowing down for a lot of runners and makes it hard to run for time.
Last year's Dark Side was pretty hot. It didn't cause me any problems, but I also saw people who had some challenges with the heat. Be aware of it and above all else listen to your body. Sometimes a character or photo stop can be a perfect reason to slow down in the heat.

Hi,

I registered to participate in the dark side challenge, since we don’t know yet the race circuit start / finish, I was wondering if there was a best hotel to choose. Is the port Orleans a good idea? And do they allow a late checkout in order to get a quick bath or should I book the night of the 23 too ? Thanks.

Last edited:

Hi,

I registered to participate in the dark side challenge, since we don’t know yet the race circuit start / finish, I was wondering if there was a best hotel to choose. Is the port Orleans a good idea? And do they allow a late checkout in order to get a quick bath or should I book the night of the 23 too ? Thanks.

Have not stayed at PO for Darkside but it is just as convenient as most other resorts other than those by MK. We stayed at PO-Riverside for marathon weekend and there was no problem with catching the bus in the morning, you had the options of from main building or the individual stops.

We have never been able to get late checkout during race weekends so I have stopped asking. It is not an issue for me after a half to get back to the room in time, for the marathon I generally clean up and lay around trying to recover and roll out of the room 11:30ish or later and never had an issue with housekeeping.

Hi,

All WDW resorts provide race transportation, so IMO the "best" one is the one that meets your budget and room size needs first, and provides an ambiance you like second. I have been able to get a late check out occasionally, but do not count on it, as it is at the front desk's discretion and you have to make that request the night before.

Hi,

I stayed at Riverside last year for Dark Side and loved it. Expo buses left from the main transportation stop by the lobby only. Race buses left from the respective bus stops.

I enjoyed Riverside so much that I decided to try French Quarter for this year's Dark Side.

All WDW resorts provide race transportation, so IMO the "best" one is the one that meets your budget and room size needs first, and provides an ambiance you like second. I have been able to get a late check out occasionally, but do not count on it, as it is at the front desk's discretion and you have to make that request the night before.
I completely agree with this. I stayed at All Star Sports for the 2012 Wine & Dine and it was fine. I would stay there again happily with no complaints if necessary.

I stayed at Riverside last year for Dark Side and loved it. Expo buses left from the main transportation stop by the lobby only. Race buses left from the respective bus stops.

I enjoyed Riverside so much that I decided to try French Quarter for this year's Dark Side.

I completely agree with this. I stayed at All Star Sports for the 2012 Wine & Dine and it was fine. I would stay there again happily with no complaints if necessary.

French Quarter is my favorite resort for run weekend stays. The small size of the resort means you're never really too far from the bus stop or food court. Pair that with the upgrades that they recently completed on the food court (upgraded menu offerings and soft drinks of all flavors machines) and it's currently my favorite moderate resort. By comparison I just stayed at Coronado Springs for Marathon Weekend and absolutely hated it, by comparison. I think Coronado Springs is the most attractive of the moderates, but the combination of the construction, the distance from room to food court (1/3 mile for me and I was in a relatively close building) and the more limited food court offerings (especially the old fountain drink stations) made it a much less pleasant stay and running weekend option.

We’ll be checking in 89 days from now! I’m so excited about this and nervous about the half. I do more miles on some training weeks so it’s probably self inflicted anxiety! I really want to continue to run challenges and hope this isn’t a one and done thing.

My daughter, 14 is registered for the 5K and half. She is very excited. Will all transportation be provided? Where do we find the course map?

My daughter, 14 is registered for the 5K and half. She is very excited. Will all transportation be provided? Where do we find the course map?
All Disney owned resorts provide transportation to and from the Expo and each race. If you're staying off property you must get yourself to and from the race. I do not know about resorts like the Swan and Dolphin that are on Disney property, but not Disney resorts.

The course maps will be published in the digital race guide when they release it.

All Disney owned resorts provide transportation to and from the Expo and each race. If you're staying off property you must get yourself to and from the race. I do not know about resorts like the Swan and Dolphin that are on Disney property, but not Disney resorts.

The course maps will be published in the digital race guide when they release it.

Buses also go to the Swan and Dolphin. When we were at BWV for the Darkside in 2016 we made stops there.

Thank you. Totally new to all this. We are booked at Old Key West with our dvc points.

I think Coronado Springs is the most attractive of the moderates, but the combination of the construction, the distance from room to food court (1/3 mile for me and I was in a relatively close building) and the more limited food court offerings (especially the old fountain drink stations) made it a much less pleasant stay and running weekend option.

With your walk, did you have a preferred room? Staying at Coronado first time for Star Wars. Like PO but Riverside was $425 more for the 4 nights vs Coronado so that one wins out. Booked a preferred room at Coronado.

With your walk, did you have a preferred room? Staying at Coronado first time for Star Wars. Like PO but Riverside was $425 more for the 4 nights vs Coronado so that one wins out. Booked a preferred room at Coronado.

I did not have a preferred room. It looks like those are in the Casitas buildings 1 & 2, so they would be much better than the Casitas 4 where I was. I made the mistake of requesting a specific Cabanas building that I'd stayed in before not realizing that it had been torn down as part of the construction. Avoid the Ranchos at all costs for a running weekend, though. I stayed in one of them on a Flower & Garden trip and it was a 3/4 mile walk to the Centro.

My daughter will be running. She is fourteen, so I assume I’ll be accompanying her to the coral for her he start of the race. My twins, 8 will be with us. Can we all ride the race day buses?

My daughter will be running. She is fourteen, so I assume I’ll be accompanying her to the coral for her he start of the race. My twins, 8 will be with us. Can we all ride the race day buses?
You and your twins will be able to take the bus and hang out at the staging area however you won’t be able to head to the actual corrals as that area is Runner’s only or at least was at the 2 RD events I’ve done

French Quarter is my favorite resort for run weekend stays. The small size of the resort means you're never really too far from the bus stop or food court. Pair that with the upgrades that they recently completed on the food court (upgraded menu offerings and soft drinks of all flavors machines) and it's currently my favorite moderate resort. By comparison I just stayed at Coronado Springs for Marathon Weekend and absolutely hated it, by comparison. I think Coronado Springs is the most attractive of the moderates, but the combination of the construction, the distance from room to food court (1/3 mile for me and I was in a relatively close building) and the more limited food court offerings (especially the old fountain drink stations) made it a much less pleasant stay and running weekend option.

I stayed at FQ for Marathon Weekend in 2016. It's a great resort. Small, even intimate, with a good food court and nice bar as well. It has a low-key, laid back, quiet feel that I really like as a break from the craziness of the races and parks. Might not be a great choice if you have little kids, but for a group of adults it's just what the doctor ordered. This visit we are staying at AKL, a destination that's been my wife's first choice for a long time. Otherwise I'd probably do FQ again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts