Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

I believe last year for Dark Side with the way the course was, they did allow people to walk from the Poly. I agree that leaving at 5 would be cutting it close. I think I remember hearing that it was a long walk too.

I know marathon weekend they didn't allow walking but couldn't remember for sure on dark side of course they have changed start locations on that one between 1st and 2nd year.

And yeah when I hear walk over at 5 I think about marathon weekend and the marathon just to get to the start line. Even when I do local races I try to arrive about an hour early. I'm always the type that would rather have more time then less.

Really though the logistics of disney world races just don't allow leaving a hotel half an hour before start. I don't think I'd push it that close at DLR. You're asking for trouble doing that IMO.

I am signed up for the half on Sunday, I am staying at the Polynesian, if when the race course is announced the starting line is at the transportation center could I arrive a little later since I would be walking over maybe leave hotel at 5am? Also when is race course usually announced?

This is my first disney race any pointers for my wife who is just coming to watch....
thanks Jim

Both Dark Side and Wine and Dine 10k and Half started in the MK parking area and had a marked walking path from the Poly. It’s dark though and not well marked. I have a picture of the Wine and Dine starting path sign somewhere. Hopefully the course and walking paths are the same this year!

Found the pictures.

21FD6170-8EBD-4D7A-BB95-F282B34C27EE.jpeg 1D6132D7-28DB-4085-82D5-8721C1632A29.jpeg

Last edited:
Both Dark Side and Wine and Dine 10k and Half started in the MK parking area and had a marked walking path from the Poly. It’s dark though and not well marked. I have a picture of the Wine and Dine starting path sign somewhere. Hopefully the course and walking paths are the same this year!

Found the pictures.

View attachment 302462 View attachment 302463

Awesome thanks everyone for the information

Sorry if I missed it earlier, but hotel question here. I'm staying at the Swan this time. Haven't been at that property before. Does anyone know if they do race transportation in the morning?

Sorry if I missed it earlier, but hotel question here. I'm staying at the Swan this time. Haven't been at that property before. Does anyone know if they do race transportation in the morning?

2 years ago for the Darkside the Swan shared a bus with BWV.

I walked for W&D last year from the Poly and there were signs and a handful of other runners so I felt like I wasn't going to get lost.

For Marathon this year, the Swan, Dolphin, Yacht, Beach, and Boardwalk shared a bus post-race. I was at Beach and we had our own bus in the morning.

Hoping for some logistical help .... we’re signed up for the 5K, staying at VWL and won’t get in until after the Expo closes on the Thursday. We contacted runDisney and got confirmation that we can get our bibs that morning at the start on Friday.

What time would you suggest we head over in the morning so as not to be stressed/rushed? Would we be better off taking a taxi or should we be ok taking Disney transport?

(To add extra craziness, this is a complete surprise bday trip for my BIL, he’s the runner in the family and a SW fan. When we realized he could run his first ever RD race on his birthday, we spontaneously fit in into our plans. He trains regularly, and runs 5K in under 30 min, so that’s not an issue. The other 3 of us are not runners. We’re doing our best to train in secret and have never run a race of any kind before - not getting swept will be considered success for us.

ETA ... In case the swept comment sounded flippant, we are trying our best. I’m the slowest and finished 5K in 53:49 today; when I did it the first time in early January, it took me 63 minutes, so I’m making progress, a little every week, just hope it’ll be enough by race day.

Last edited:

In the past walking from hotels was not allowed.

For all races, you can't walk directly to the corrals from hotels. For SWDS you can walk from the TTC, that's where the passenger drop off is if you are being dropped off. So any hotels with walking access to the TTC (GF/Poly) can walk to the pre-race area.

I stayed at the Poly last year and walked for both the 10k and Half with no issues. I also asked at check in and confirmed that it was allowed. It was, and there was a designated walking path with security and CMs along the path. It was a bit of a long walk but I personally didn't mind it. By walking, I was literally the first runner there each morning, and zipped through every character photo op with zero wait.

Anyone else notice Kessel Run is sold out even though there are still Half and Challenge spots open for Dark Side?

Anyone else notice Kessel Run is sold out even though there are still Half and Challenge spots open for Dark Side?
I'm guessing it's a function of available supply of Kessel Run medals compared to the costs and delivery time of ordering more. They likely ordered 2018 medals based on 2016 and 2017 demand. Once those medals are accounted for in Kessel Run registrations they closed it off. They even included the availability subject to change notice on the virtual race page. This probably means that they have a finite number of medals and don't want to order more for cost and delivery time reasons. Given that the virtual race is still an option, I suspect that there were fewer Kessel Run medals ordered to begin with, likely because of the logistics involved for a runner who wished to earn the medal in prior years.

Plus, not every Dark Side Half runner is interested in the Kessel Run. Some may have chosen Star Wars because it worked best with their schedule to do Castle to Chateau. My sister is running all 3 races with me, but is not interested in the Kessel Run because the medals don't matter so much to her.

Mine was yesterday and I got everything I wanted too. Not always my first choice of times, but that's to be expected.

I am really down that I missed the Kessel Run... I had the page up and was going to register then I get called away from my desk.... ***!!! :(

Hi there! This is my first runDisney event. I am doing the Kessel Run, which I am so excited about. I had a question about the photo ops before the race. What time do they set up for those? I am a really early riser for a race day and was wondering if it would be worth it to take a taxi to the start line to get in line for the photos or just wait for the first bus to leave the resort? Thank you

Hi there! This is my first runDisney event. I am doing the Kessel Run, which I am so excited about. I had a question about the photo ops before the race. What time do they set up for those? I am a really early riser for a race day and was wondering if it would be worth it to take a taxi to the start line to get in line for the photos or just wait for the first bus to leave the resort? Thank you
Last year, I was on one of the first buses, and by the time I got to the start area, they had already closed some of the lines. I ended up getting pictures after the race. I don’t know what time they opened the photo ops though, but if you really want pictures before, I would take the taxi/Uber/Lyft.

Last year, I was on one of the first buses, and by the time I got to the start area, they had already closed some of the lines. I ended up getting pictures after the race. I don’t know what time they opened the photo ops though, but if you really want pictures before, I would take the taxi/Uber/Lyft.

Do you know approximately what time would be the best to leave the resort if taking a taxi for the before photos?

Umm... I think bus transportation starts at 3 for the half, so sometime before that???
Also, I was coming from the All-Stars, so if your resort is closer to the start line, your bus might get there early enough to get in line.

IIRC I left my hotel at a little after 3 and got all the photo ops I wanted last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter