Official 2019 HHN-29 Thread

Hi, we have a very short 2 days at Universal. We are doing HHN on the 30th so need to prioritise houses. We will be in the park earlier in the day to get the rides done, take a break then back to HHN.

What time should we be back to Universal to be in the holding area?

Planning on Stranger Things, Ghost Busters and Clowns as most important. So which holding zone is best?

Also want to watch the show. First timer with 3 teens (and I am a bit of a chicken, they are fearless!)

Thanks so much for any advice!

I believe the one by Finnegan's will release you to the Stranger Things and Ghost Busters area (they are pretty close to each other). I believe you need to be in the Stay and Scream area before 530 ( you can enter starting at 4)

So just got back from my HHN Trip Sunday night.

I went a total of 7 nights with express pass (ROF is a bargain) - the only night I really did not need it was Wednesday.
If you are a Universal hotel guest they let you in by blue man group starting at about 5:30 to a holding area - but dont let you into the park till 6 (or whenever they open), but at about 10 minutes of 6 the cast from Killer clowns will walk buy to go to their set - so if you stay to the right of the holding area near the gift shop you can get a lot of great pix of the clowns and cast.

This year more than any I felt you really had to get a good walk through - was very hit or miss - I did all the houses each night and had a lot of bad walk walk through

I did the 6 hours and 3 house unmasking tours - new this year is that the 6 house and 3 house are different - the only house you dont get a walk through is US. I did find that the detail was not where it has been in the past - they seem to be relying more on social media than small details that get missed in the house since you go through so quick. I guess it makes sense since no one has time to read computer screens or notes when they walk through a house - but it was cool when you did the unmasking tour to get all that detail. There were still a lot of cool things that were pointed out - but just not the level of detail I've seen in the past. I'll still do both tours again next year.

Overall I liked all the houses. Universal Monsters was probably the best - but you have to hit it just right to really see everything. Depths of fear was probably my least favorite - but it was still very good. I wont go into detail on houses as people dont need to have that spoiled.

Scare zones - I found them a bit disappointing - really just selfie zones now. Zombie land double tap gets very repetitive very quickly. Rob Zombie zone was pretty good but also repetitive - there is a lot there though. The biggest issue was all the jerks annoying the poor dancers that were walking around - this was really just an issue on the Saturdays. (side note - I guess Rob Zombie was not involved in the house or the zone - he mentioned it on Joe Rogan's podcast) Vikings - the one woman who was cutting open the person was really good at getting in peoples faces and making them uncomfortable - even though she was on the other side of the fence. Roving chainsaws and their cousins at Anarchade - same old. Vanity Ball - again very repetitive on the cat walk - i dont think this went down well overall as I sat their for about an hour each night and it was never as busy as the other zones - the Clown Truck next to it was busier. I really missed having an interactive zone like Chucky or Chance that messed with the crowd.

Hopefully they are just saving their powder for the 30th so I'm sure ill be back next year.

Is there somewhere in the park where we can sit and get an alcoholic drink during HHN?

Is there somewhere in the park where we can sit and get an alcoholic drink during HHN?

There are plenty of places, which I'm sure people can indulge, but for a "safe" place to drink without possibly spilling your drink might be another thing all together. I would imagine anywhere inside (Finnegan's for example) is safe (even though sometimes they go inside), or even a kiosk to get a drink and hide out somewhere. An odd place to be probably would be the place where you normally exit Horror Make Up Show. Since the latest show is usually at most 6 something it should be quiet. It can can be accessed by going into the "T2" gift shop and go to the left to which there is an opening to the hallway. There are doors too which go into the hallway and can open, but I do not know if they lock them at any point.

I do not know if anyone else has had this experience, but if I ever went with my dad we'd always drink at a sit down place, or hide out, due to the fact my dad said one of his co-workers just got a beer at HHN and after a few minutes he had someone come up behind him, which made him spill his beer. Not only there goes your beer, but also we know beers at the parks aren't cheap. Do not know if anyone else ever had that problem, but just something to consider.

There are plenty of places, which I'm sure people can indulge, but for a "safe" place to drink without possibly spilling your drink might be another thing all together. I would imagine anywhere inside (Finnegan's for example) is safe (even though sometimes they go inside), or even a kiosk to get a drink and hide out somewhere. An odd place to be probably would be the place where you normally exit Horror Make Up Show. Since the latest show is usually at most 6 something it should be quiet. It can can be accessed by going into the "T2" gift shop and go to the left to which there is an opening to the hallway. There are doors too which go into the hallway and can open, but I do not know if they lock them at any point.

I do not know if anyone else has had this experience, but if I ever went with my dad we'd always drink at a sit down place, or hide out, due to the fact my dad said one of his co-workers just got a beer at HHN and after a few minutes he had someone come up behind him, which made him spill his beer. Not only there goes your beer, but also we know beers at the parks aren't cheap. Do not know if anyone else ever had that problem, but just something to consider.

There are many places to grab drinks as there are pop up bars everywhere. Finnegans seating is extremely limited, they only have one way in and one way out when you want a cocktail. Your best bet would be to grab it there or at Alcatraz near the Zob Zombie scare zone and look for a table to post at.

We usually don't sit, we grab our drinks to go so we have them for the queues. I've never been concerned about "hiding"... If the drink spills I'll get another.

We usually don't sit, we grab our drinks to go so we have them for the queues. I've never been concerned about "hiding"... If the drink spills I'll get another.

I never heard of anyone else having those issues either, but that's what he always preferred to do. He likes to save, so if he's spending $8 on a beer, he's not wanting it to spill and get another. :laughing:

So, I've gone to my first HHN this year and now I'm already thinking of next year :) This is how it works, right?

I took my husband with me on this trip this year. He is not fond of theme parks, and though he enjoyed HHN enough, I don't think he cares to go again. Sooo, I'm wondering about going by myself next year. Universal is usual a trip I take with my daughter, but she is 9 right now and I don't think she will be ready for the full HHN experience for at least a couple of years.

I know that some of you have gotten private RIP tours and filled some spots with people on this board. Do solo travelers ever join up with those tours? I'm thinking that might be a good way for me to do HHN next year, as long as I'm not going to be a third wheel or crash someone else's good time. After my experience on the public RIP tour this year, I'm thinking I would like to do something like that again as a way to hook up with other HHN nuts. My husband was not really interested in hearing me talk about details or online gossip or all of the stuff that we talk about on this board and on YouTube. My public RIP tour was good, but it did turn out to be 6 couples. If I showed up next year at a public RIP tour and it was me and 5 other couples, then I think I would feel little weird. But maybe going by myself will be weird anyway 🤷‍♀️ Tell me if you have any experience as a solo traveler to HHN or private RIP tours what you think.

So, I've gone to my first HHN this year and now I'm already thinking of next year :) This is how it works, right?

I took my husband with me on this trip this year. He is not fond of theme parks, and though he enjoyed HHN enough, I don't think he cares to go again. Sooo, I'm wondering about going by myself next year. Universal is usual a trip I take with my daughter, but she is 9 right now and I don't think she will be ready for the full HHN experience for at least a couple of years.

I know that some of you have gotten private RIP tours and filled some spots with people on this board. Do solo travelers ever join up with those tours? I'm thinking that might be a good way for me to do HHN next year, as long as I'm not going to be a third wheel or crash someone else's good time. After my experience on the public RIP tour this year, I'm thinking I would like to do something like that again as a way to hook up with other HHN nuts. My husband was not really interested in hearing me talk about details or online gossip or all of the stuff that we talk about on this board and on YouTube. My public RIP tour was good, but it did turn out to be 6 couples. If I showed up next year at a public RIP tour and it was me and 5 other couples, then I think I would feel little weird. But maybe going by myself will be weird anyway 🤷‍♀️ Tell me if you have any experience as a solo traveler to HHN or private RIP tours what you think.
As it so happens last night i attended a private hhn tour. It was my second year doing this. I joined @soniam and other Disers. It's so much fun even if you don't know people personally we all share a love for Disney and universal so it's's easy to mingle

Simple answer.........There are loads of places to get a drink around the parks...... :thumbsup2

I am going solo on a public RIP this coming Wednesday. I will let you know how it goes.

Could be the best story lead in though. "Remember that time I threw the $8 beer into the air?"

I thought it was hilarious when he first told me the story since I was a teenager, but as an adult, now I'm like, "Man, that must have sucked to lose that beer" Still kind of funny though... Considering I wonder what his face might have been, or if it was one of those subtle spills, or it was something dramatic. :laughing:

So, having done numerous nights at HHN this year.......I concluded this isn’t our favourite year.

We always have the Rush of Fear with Express Pass. It’s a fabulous buy for folks like us who can go many nights. We could have gone 17 nights this year, but we didn’t. We did go around 11 nights for varying amounts of time.

We never take advantage of Stay and Scream as we can go so many nights, but it is ideal if you only have one or two nights for the event. The hotel guest entrance saves you going through a long line at certain times. It was always quiet whenever we used it.

Some houses are done really well, but like every year there’s always one or maybe two that just don't work for us, and this year was no different.

Scare zones were a disappointment.

Anarch-Cade was poor. I just didn’t get this zone.....if the whole theme had been 1980’s, maybe. But......nah. No scares.

Zombieland was just not scary........someone coming up and rattling something in your face isn’t what we want. Good costumes and make up though.

Vikings was decent-ish......no scares and sometimes it was too foggy to make them out. The scenes to the side of the path were excellent though. And some good SA interactions.

Vanity Ball.......well. It was funny for about the first 2 minutes. Good interactions but not great. After Anarch-Cade this was the quietest scare zone we saw over many nights.

Hellbilly Deluxe.......this was better than I expected, Tom actually got a scare which was funny.......I liked some elements of this zone......the undead girl was good.

One thing we did notice this year and others said the same thing.....for the first time we saw SA passing the time chatting to each other and to security......not pointing out bad behaviour, just chatting. We’ve never seen that ever before. The chainsaw folks were among the worst and the SA from Vanity Ball. Mentioned it to some TM at the hotel and a few said they noticed it too. Very unusual.

The houses........well, in reverse order........we did go through all the houses numerous times over many nights. Most we were lucky with the SA and had good experiences.......but, some were just poor.

10......Depths of Fear.

This reminded me of the rather poor Alien scare zone they had a few years back........I think they reused the costumes. This house disappointed on so many levels and no real scares.

9........Stranger Things.

We watched the show so could understand what they were trying to do in this one. But it fell flat for us, mainly because they used dummies where they could have used real SA. We just didn’t enjoy this any of the nights we did it, and eventually decided even with having EP, this wasn’t worth a 15 minute wait.

8........Killer Klowns.

I did like it better than I thought I would, but overall.......it’s just not scary.

7........US.

This was decent and I had a few good jumps with this one.....knowing the film does help with this one.

6.........House of 1000 corpses.

I really don’t know Zombie’s works at all, except the unforgivable remakes he did of Halloween! But, I had heard the theme of this was particularly unpleasant. However, it just looked like a regular gory HHN house......it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as I’d read. I did get a good scare a couple of times in this house.

5........Nightingales Blood Pit.

This was a strange one. I don’t remember much of it, but Tom says I enjoyed it.

4........Ghostbusters.

We did really enjoy this house. It was full of everything you knew from the film and they did it well.....it was fun and the actors playing the characters were brilliant.......Janine was fabulous, she often Insulted folks walking through or asked a question.......good interactions. I got a high five from “Venkman” twice......this house consistently improved a lot from the first night. But.......it’s not scary......you can’t make Ghostbusters scary. But, it is an excellent house.

3.........Yeti...Terror of the Yukon.

Before the event, I had decided this would be one we wouldn’t like. We loved it!! It is an incredibly cool house and the SA are phenomenal......and the Yetis were always massively cheered by the waiting crowds from both houses in that area as the SA changed..something I’ve never seen before......this was one of the houses we did every night except once when we just concentrated on the rear of the park.......but good scares and visually it is beautiful.

2.........Graveyard Games.

This was almost a joint #1. This house had it all......excellent theme and it is so well done. It is quite eerie in parts and the scares were fabulous. The guy at the end who kind of crawls out at you....he is freaky!!! I never saw him the first three times, then he got me good!!!! We were so lucky with our walk throughs in most houses, but this and Classic Monsters we always seemed to hit it perfectly.

1........Classic Monsters.

Absolutely brilliant.

We got almost every scare going every single night. The SA were perfect and their make up, was as always quite spectacular. We liked how each monster had their own little zone, and it was clearly defined. This for us was a stand out house this year along with Graveyard Games.

But, although there were some amazing houses this year, really our top 3 were where we found the best scares. Too many of the houses just weren’t scary.......I want HHN to be scared witless and be terrified in the houses.

They need to bring back an icon for the event.......and a definite theme.....this year was all over the place with one thing and another.

The water show especially for HHN was really enjoyable. We only watched this once and it was a lot of fun. I wish we’d seen it once more, but I’m glad we did catch it.

AOV........I wish I enjoyed this more. But, it’s just not a priority for us. Once is enough. I got a bit bored by it.

We didn’t have any food this year, nothing really appealed to us. And for the first time we didn’t buy the HHN cocktail.......last few years it’s just been like sugared Water.

Overall, we do love the event. Some houses were spectacular and some were just ok. I really hope for the 30th Anniversary they make it go with a huge bang......it should be truly spectacular........

There was something missing for us this year, good scares in a few of the houses being one of them.

We wouldn’t do the event without Express Pass.....as some regular lines were downright scary some nights. But with Express we usually waited a very short time, sometimes houses were complete walk ons.

I also wish they would ban babies and toddlers. We again, many times saw strollers and twice we saw babies around 7 months old being carried in arms. Toddlers crying, upset and looking a little bewildered. Not nice to see.

But, it’s still a fun thing to do and we did enjoy it.......but they need to go back to being primarily one thing .......scary!!

So, having done numerous nights at HHN this year.......I concluded this isn’t our favourite year.

We always have the Rush of Fear with Express Pass. It’s a fabulous buy for folks like us who can go many nights. We could have gone 17 nights this year, but we didn’t. We did go around 11 nights for varying amounts of time.

We never take advantage of Stay and Scream as we can go so many nights, but it is ideal if you only have one or two nights for the event. The hotel guest entrance saves you going through a long line at certain times. It was always quiet whenever we used it.

Some houses are done really well, but like every year there’s always one or maybe two that just don't work for us, and this year was no different.

Scare zones were a disappointment.

Anarch-Cade was poor. I just didn’t get this zone.....if the whole theme had been 1980’s, maybe. But......nah. No scares.

Zombieland was just not scary........someone coming up and rattling something in your face isn’t what we want. Good costumes and make up though.

Vikings was decent-ish......no scares and sometimes it was too foggy to make them out. The scenes to the side of the path were excellent though. And some good SA interactions.

Vanity Ball.......well. It was funny for about the first 2 minutes. Good interactions but not great. After Anarch-Cade this was the quietest scare zone we saw over many nights.

Hellbilly Deluxe.......this was better than I expected, Tom actually got a scare which was funny.......I liked some elements of this zone......the undead girl was good.

One thing we did notice this year and others said the same thing.....for the first time we saw SA passing the time chatting to each other and to security......not pointing out bad behaviour, just chatting. We’ve never seen that ever before. The chainsaw folks were among the worst and the SA from Vanity Ball. Mentioned it to some TM at the hotel and a few said they noticed it too. Very unusual.

The houses........well, in reverse order........we did go through all the houses numerous times over many nights. Most we were lucky with the SA and had good experiences.......but, some were just poor.

10......Depths of Fear.

This reminded me of the rather poor Alien scare zone they had a few years back........I think they reused the costumes. This house disappointed on so many levels and no real scares.

9........Stranger Things.

We watched the show so could understand what they were trying to do in this one. But it fell flat for us, mainly because they used dummies where they could have used real SA. We just didn’t enjoy this any of the nights we did it, and eventually decided even with having EP, this wasn’t worth a 15 minute wait.

8........Killer Klowns.

I did like it better than I thought I would, but overall.......it’s just not scary.

7........US.

This was decent and I had a few good jumps with this one.....knowing the film does help with this one.

6.........House of 1000 corpses.

I really don’t know Zombie’s works at all, except the unforgivable remakes he did of Halloween! But, I had heard the theme of this was particularly unpleasant. However, it just looked like a regular gory HHN house......it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as I’d read. I did get a good scare a couple of times in this house.

5........Nightingales Blood Pit.

This was a strange one. I don’t remember much of it, but Tom says I enjoyed it.

4........Ghostbusters.

We did really enjoy this house. It was full of everything you knew from the film and they did it well.....it was fun and the actors playing the characters were brilliant.......Janine was fabulous, she often Insulted folks walking through or asked a question.......good interactions. I got a high five from “Venkman” twice......this house consistently improved a lot from the first night. But.......it’s not scary......you can’t make Ghostbusters scary. But, it is an excellent house.

3.........Yeti...Terror of the Yukon.

Before the event, I had decided this would be one we wouldn’t like. We loved it!! It is an incredibly cool house and the SA are phenomenal......and the Yetis were always massively cheered by the waiting crowds from both houses in that area as the SA changed..something I’ve never seen before......this was one of the houses we did every night except once when we just concentrated on the rear of the park.......but good scares and visually it is beautiful.

2.........Graveyard Games.

This was almost a joint #1. This house had it all......excellent theme and it is so well done. It is quite eerie in parts and the scares were fabulous. The guy at the end who kind of crawls out at you....he is freaky!!! I never saw him the first three times, then he got me good!!!! We were so lucky with our walk throughs in most houses, but this and Classic Monsters we always seemed to hit it perfectly.

1........Classic Monsters.

Absolutely brilliant.

We got almost every scare going every single night. The SA were perfect and their make up, was as always quite spectacular. We liked how each monster had their own little zone, and it was clearly defined. This for us was a stand out house this year along with Graveyard Games.

But, although there were some amazing houses this year, really our top 3 were where we found the best scares. Too many of the houses just weren’t scary.......I want HHN to be scared witless and be terrified in the houses.

They need to bring back an icon for the event.......and a definite theme.....this year was all over the place with one thing and another.

The water show especially for HHN was really enjoyable. We only watched this once and it was a lot of fun. I wish we’d seen it once more, but I’m glad we did catch it.

AOV........I wish I enjoyed this more. But, it’s just not a priority for us. Once is enough. I got a bit bored by it.

We didn’t have any food this year, nothing really appealed to us. And for the first time we didn’t buy the HHN cocktail.......last few years it’s just been like sugared Water.

Overall, we do love the event. Some houses were spectacular and some were just ok. I really hope for the 30th Anniversary they make it go with a huge bang......it should be truly spectacular........

There was something missing for us this year, good scares in a few of the houses being one of them.

We wouldn’t do the event without Express Pass.....as some regular lines were downright scary some nights. But with Express we usually waited a very short time, sometimes houses were complete walk ons.

I also wish they would ban babies and toddlers. We again, many times saw strollers and twice we saw babies around 7 months old being carried in arms. Toddlers crying, upset and looking a little bewildered. Not nice to see.

But, it’s still a fun thing to do and we did enjoy it.......but they need to go back to being primarily one thing .......scary!!

I agree Schumi, the scare zones were very disappointing. Especially compared to the purge a few years ago!

Glad to hear it was not just me.

One thing I know for sure - the SAs were told not to scare children - maybe the children should not be there then?
This came from a VIP tour guide during a tour.

I guess this is the issue when you are relying on IP to bring in the crowds and that is working.
Really tired of seeing people in Scoops ahoy hats to be honest - this is getting to be worse than Walking Dead and I'm pretty sure we have at least one more year of Stranger Things.

Another thin I heard from a good source - they were told last year not to "bully" people.
In the past I have seen them really pick on one person because they freak out. I've seen people tapped in shops for 1 or 20 minutes because the SAs keep getting them. I guess they are no allowed to do that anymore - that used to be a lot of the fun in watching the scare zones for me.
I can see reigning it in a bit but there rally is not much scare in the scare zones anymore

Thank you @schumigirl . I was hoping you would pop in with a ranking. I never really paid attention to the quality of scare zones but we absolutely adored the whole “Purge” thing. It really seems everyone has a different ranking on websites I see. Working on seeing US before we leave. It is nice that some Universal and original themes are well regarded.

Thank you @schumigirl . I was hoping you would pop in with a ranking. I never really paid attention to the quality of scare zones but we absolutely adored the whole “Purge” thing. It really seems everyone has a different ranking on websites I see. Working on seeing US before we leave. It is nice that some Universal and original themes are well regarded.
Yes I really wish I had watched US before going. The house is very well done based on the little I know of the film.
As an FYI - they have it as a movie on Jet Blue - I regret not checking what was available and just watching my Kindle films

I sure wish they'd be stricter on age as well and keep the event more adult themed, but based upon what I'm seeing and hearing last year and this year, I sadly suspect the opposite will happen and this will start becoming MORE of an all-ages event: a blend of some scary stuff mixed with a growing dose of WDW- Not SoScary-style offerings to please parents and kids.

It will be a shame - but park leadership may feel there's a lot more money to be made by drawing kids and pleasing their parents than pleasing teens and adults there for a scarier experience. WDW is raking in big bucks on NotSoScary, now at 100+a night and often selling out.

If Busch Gardens was smart, they'd definitely capitalize on UO's shift- I know it's a much smaller and less sophisticated event, but from what I hear, they are most decidedly NOT kid friendly. I've never been to it.

Another thin I heard from a good source - they were told last year not to "bully" people.
In the past I have seen them really pick on one person because they freak out. I've seen people tapped in shops for 1 or 20 minutes because the SAs keep getting them. I guess they are no allowed to do that anymore - that used to be a lot of the fun in watching the scare zones for me.
I can see reigning it in a bit but there rally is not much scare in the scare zones anymore
I know not many enjoyed Chucky SZ last year but my DD got one of her best "creep out" scares from that zone last year. The SA stalked her through the zone, not malicious or anything just popping up as we walked though the zone. I actually sent the pic to GS to compliment the SA as we enjoyed it so much.

I loved most of the houses this year, but I do think the original houses were "scarier". Graveyard Games was a favorite as was yeti. We did depths of fear a couple time and while it was ok, it wasn't one we repeated (to save our feet) each night. I did enjoy "Us" but I also like the movie. 1000 corpses was well done and creepy even without knowing the movie. Ghostbusters was definitely a favorite high fiving Venkman was a bonus and now they are doing "secret codes" to get trinkets (while supplies last). ST was ok-I think I appreciated it more after the daytime tour though. Classic Monsters-I wanted to like this so much, first run through wasn't good at all. However this is one we did each night we went and it definitely ended up a favorite! Nightingale was fun and some runs got some really great scares. I did like Killer Klowns as well but I also liked the scare zone alot last year! As far as scarezones-only the Viking one was really worth the time.
ETA-we had RoF with Express. Was there 5 nights but ended up only going 4 nights to HHN (wed-Sunday-we skipped Saturday)

As far as dumbing down the scares-either enforce the age restrictions or stop listening to the whiners who complain about being scared at a HORROR event! I know some kids younger than 13 would enjoy the event but is it REALLY a horrible terrible tragedy to wait until they kid is 13??? I mean really? Or alternately only enforce the age restriction on weekends? Or have huge disclaimers when buying tickets that you have to acknowledge that this isn't suitable for younger kids?

Ghostbusters has secret codes to get trinkets??????? That is the first that I have ever heard of that! Can anyone give details????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter