"Official" 2019 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party - A Frightfully Festive Celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a newbie when it comes to parties. We are attending the 8/16 party on the first night. I have been reading through all of these posts, but may have missed what I'm looking for, or maybe just questioning my understanding of it all. I have several questions which I'm sure you can answer:-)
1- do the two dessert parties (tomorrowland terrace and plaza garden viewing) serve the same desserts? and do you check in at the same place?
2- do you stand at the plaza garden viewing or are you allowed to sit on the grass? My dad, late 70's, is a total Disney nut and is coming with us - thinking he might like to be able to sit down.
1 - Yes, desserts are the same. Check in is in the same area, but 2 separate podiums. IIRC, Plaza is to the right, terrace to the left.

2 - You can do either, really depends on the crowds around you that night. I’ve been on nights when everyone sits, nights when everyone stands, and nights where there’s a bit of each.

Thanks you @FoxC63 and @Cluelyss for your help. After looking at the link from FoxC63, I really want to go now. The desserts look great, but I guess I have to weigh the pros/cons and look at the costs (the Canadian dollar is not good compared to US dollar right now and the exchange makes the cost even tougher to get past). I love the idea of having a viewing spot for us (mainly my dad). I guess I'll talk to the family and decide if they are willing to give up some party time to do dessert party - this is likely a one and done for us party (of course we thought Disney was going to be a one and done trip for us many years ago ... but obviously not lol).

Thanks you @FoxC63 and @Cluelyss for your help. After looking at the link from FoxC63, I really want to go now. The desserts look great, but I guess I have to weigh the pros/cons and look at the costs (the Canadian dollar is not good compared to US dollar right now and the exchange makes the cost even tougher to get past). I love the idea of having a viewing spot for us (mainly my dad). I guess I'll talk to the family and decide if they are willing to give up some party time to do dessert party - this is likely a one and done for us party (of course we thought Disney was going to be a one and done trip for us many years ago ... but obviously not lol).

@Cluelyss said it best in a previous post, that you decide what fits for you and your family, and the best advice is if you were going to use an hour to lay claim to a spot anyway, then why not. The dessert party hasnt made sense for my family but we love the viewing area that is for the plaza party. We would sit on that side before they started reserving it for the dessert parties. They had covered FP stalls there so no one back then would sit there thinking it was reserved and it was glorious to sprall out on the fake lawn.
We have since watched in the same viewing spot that is opposite to that reserved area in front of Casey's. Our experience has been plenty of space to find a spot 10-15 min leading up to Hallowishes for free, but that was when there wasn't projections and not going to the first party. Mid December 2017, we had two completely different experiences. The Xmas party had tons of room even after Wishes started, but HEA the night before was the complete opposite. It was completely full 30 min prior to starting and we were shoulder to shoulder in the B.O.-palooza, which was lovely.

If I had to guess, I would anticipate, like Cluelyss, that my latter experience will be closer to the norm due to having projections now. That gives the dessert party even more value imo (still not enough for me lol), to not have to fight the crowds and have a guranteed spot with a full stomach if you can afford it.

If you decided to be a cheapskate like me, we divide and conquer. One of us forms a picnic style spot with ponchos w/ the kids an hour before start, while the other goes and grabs quick service dinner at Caseys, Cosmic Rays, or Pinocchio's (if I feel like I want more stress with time constraints in my life) for everyone and brings it back so everyone can eat while holding a spot for the fireworks. Makes it feel like we are multi-tasking since we need to eat anyway, and gives the kids something to do (instead of griping at me about waiting).

@RJstanis I think we'll probably follow your plan and grab a place early / have dinner there. Thanks for the suggestions. Can you tell me, is the second parade right after the fireworks? Would we just stay in that area (in front of Casey's) for the parade? TIA

This may have been asked and I apologize as I did not completely read all 46 pages. We are planning a quick trip to Disney in October and thought DAH would be great for our trip since our time is limited. I see now that they have these Halloween party dates and was wondering if the waits for the rides were low like at a DAH event? Has anyone been to both to compare? We would be focused on rides and since we are staying offsite, thinking our best bet would be a party to get in as much as possible. Thoughts?

Ohh yes that's what I was referring too. If there's no M&Gs what's the purpose??
I agree wholeheartedly with this question... Bring back THE VILLAINS!!!

The Halloween party has a stingy number of villains available for meets, and Club Villain has been defunct for 2 years. Yet, villain meets are almost non-existent other times as well. Malificent? The Queen? The Queen as The Old Hag? Dr Facilier? Scar? The Hyena's? Hades? Pain & Panic? Captain Hook? Ursula? Oogie Boogie? Prince John? Pipe dream here... The Underminer?

I realize that a couple of these characters are available with upcharge meals, and that one is wandering around the Magic Kingdom for a limited time. It just seems like villains should be playing a larger role in Disney Parks than they currently do.

This may have been asked and I apologize as I did not completely read all 46 pages. We are planning a quick trip to Disney in October and thought DAH would be great for our trip since our time is limited. I see now that they have these Halloween party dates and was wondering if the waits for the rides were low like at a DAH event? Has anyone been to both to compare? We would be focused on rides and since we are staying offsite, thinking our best bet would be a party to get in as much as possible. Thoughts?

We have other been to a DAH, but did party Oct 17, again this year. From trying to keep up on DAH, not sure if they’ll offer in Oct around party nights yet? :confused3

For party, I will say it’s only worth the cost to us bc we love the parade/fireworks/show in addition to rides lines...plus dressing up/magic shots.

In 17 we had amazing party ride experiences all night long :rolleyes: Best was (no joke), riding Splash 7x’s walk on right before/during/2nd parade...3x’s didn’t even depart log (depends on CM I’m sure)...then afterwards, followed end of parade to front row/center castle for last show @ closing.

No doubt capacity prob increased & not as productive this year :crowded:

While no DAH attendance yet, I did weigh the option in case they offer... and decided to stick w/ the party (even if not as productive) for the added stuff in addition to rides :hmghost::maleficen

@RJstanis I think we'll probably follow your plan and grab a place early / have dinner there. Thanks for the suggestions. Can you tell me, is the second parade right after the fireworks? Would we just stay in that area (in front of Casey's) for the parade? TIA

Unfortunately it is a poor spot for the parade. You could nuzzle up along the far right of the wall to be close to the parade route but even then you'd still have a decent amount of people blocking your view. I personally prefer watching it in Frontierland or Liberty Square area, and you'd have plenty of time to go there directly after fireworks to snag a great spot for the second parade, probably in the front easily. Decent chance of finding an ok spot on Main St too, if you're adamant to watch there, especially if you're willing to watch near the exits around the outer circle. The Xmas Parade I would strongly recommend watching on Main St, but I still prefer the ambiance of Frontierland and Liberty Square for the Halloween parade, in addition to not having to camp out as early for an excellent spot. Plus, it puts you in an ideal spot to try and do any last minute rides without trying to swim upstream with exiting crowds and the congested Hub. And if that wasn't enough, while someone is holding a spot in that area, someone else can grab dessert at nearby Sleepy Hollow, and/or Magic Shots typically near that area or over by Haunted Mansion.

We have not done a DAH event, but we were looking at the MK one for next month. We decided not to do it for several reasons, the first and top reason was the cost for what you get.

IMO, DAH comes nowhere close to what you get for the MNSSHP. (Total disclaimer....We LOVE MNSSHP!) My choice would be MNSSHP over DAH for several reasons:

Cost: MNSSHP is cheaper, and depending on which day you go it can be a significant cost difference.

Time in parks: MNSSHP gives us 8 full park hours whereas DAH is only 3 hours.

Experience/atmosphere: Granted, we go to WDW at least once or twice a year and are never bored, but going to MK and having a totally different experience is exciting. Everything is different; the lighting, music, CM costumes, guest costumes, your costume, snacks, fireworks etc are all unique to the party. I also feel like the CM's love the parties because they seem to engage with guests more and there is a different energy in the whole park.

Parade: this is a big one for us. I LOVE the parade! We miss MK not having one anymore. There are so many characters you don't normally see.

Hocus Pocus show: SO MUCH FUN!

Fireworks: unique to the party! They're not projection heavy so you don't have to be directly in front of the castle to watch them. And some are 360, which is cool to have fireworks surrounding you!

Characters: you get to see so many characters that are not normally in the parks, especially villains!

Candy: free candy! We didn't do a lot of ToT lines, but it was nice to get some good candy to enjoy later.

Special photos: you can buy a one day MM and have some really unique photos for souvenirs.

The one negative is that it can be crowded. I feel that if you have a good idea of what you want to accomplish during the party and make plans for it, that you can have a wonderful time even if the crowds are large. Some ride waits can be low, but probably not as low as DAH. I think we waited about 15-20 minutes for 7DMT at the start of the party when they stopped letting day guests in line. HM can get busy but we went on a few times with a half empty stretching room.

We'll be back for MNSSHP this year! We went last year and loved it, and are taking another trip back with our larger family. We're debating between 10/15 and 10/17. Any thoughts on which might be better? I am currently leaning to 10/17, so we can take advantage of EMH evening hours at Epcot on 10/15 if they have them that night like I've seen some predictions. Thank you!!

We have not done a DAH event, but we were looking at the MK one for next month. We decided not to do it for several reasons, the first and top reason was the cost for what you get.

IMO, DAH comes nowhere close to what you get for the MNSSHP. (Total disclaimer....We LOVE MNSSHP!) My choice would be MNSSHP over DAH for several reasons:

Cost: MNSSHP is cheaper, and depending on which day you go it can be a significant cost difference.

Time in parks: MNSSHP gives us 8 full park hours whereas DAH is only 3 hours.

Experience/atmosphere: Granted, we go to WDW at least once or twice a year and are never bored, but going to MK and having a totally different experience is exciting. Everything is different; the lighting, music, CM costumes, guest costumes, your costume, snacks, fireworks etc are all unique to the party. I also feel like the CM's love the parties because they seem to engage with guests more and there is a different energy in the whole park.

Parade: this is a big one for us. I LOVE the parade! We miss MK not having one anymore. There are so many characters you don't normally see.

Hocus Pocus show: SO MUCH FUN!

Fireworks: unique to the party! They're not projection heavy so you don't have to be directly in front of the castle to watch them. And some are 360, which is cool to have fireworks surrounding you!

Characters: you get to see so many characters that are not normally in the parks, especially villains!

Candy: free candy! We didn't do a lot of ToT lines, but it was nice to get some good candy to enjoy later.

Special photos: you can buy a one day MM and have some really unique photos for souvenirs.

The one negative is that it can be crowded. I feel that if you have a good idea of what you want to accomplish during the party and make plans for it, that you can have a wonderful time even if the crowds are large. Some ride waits can be low, but probably not as low as DAH. I think we waited about 15-20 minutes for 7DMT at the start of the party when they stopped letting day guests in line. HM can get busy but we went on a few times with a half empty stretching room.

Thank you so much for your reply. I think we will get tickets to the party! Now...what to wear...

We are attending the first party, when will the party map be released? Our girls are mostly interested in trick-or-treating, parade, fireworks & rides.

Would you all suggest we ToT first, then get a spot for the first parade & fireworks, rides after fireworks?

We are attending the first party, when will the party map be released? Our girls are mostly interested in trick-or-treating, parade, fireworks & rides.

Would you all suggest we ToT first, then get a spot for the first parade & fireworks, rides after fireworks?
It has been said that ToT is best left until later in the night when they are more generous with the candy. Also, the second parade, in the past, has been less crowded but I know the last couple of years it has been busier. If your girls can stay up later maybe rides during the first parade?

We are attending the first party, when will the party map be released?

I was in the Magic Kingdom during the day of the first party in 2018. Someone reported here that they were able to get a party map mid-morning that day. I believe they got it outside the Magic Kingdom, at the ticket window (or guest services if there is one outside the park). I checked at the Guest Services-type office which is in Liberty Square in the Magic Kingdom but they did not have it mid-morning. They had it early afternoon.

Keep in mind that you are somewhat going in blind for the first party.

The map indicates that there are trick-or-treat spots in the different Lands, but not exactly where the trick-or-treat spots are. As I walked around, some were marked by tall thick orange balloon-type things. (The problem with that is, you will see orange out of the corner of your eye and think it is the balloon-thing but then realize it's just some person wearing an orange shirt. A lot of people wear orange shirts.) Other trick-or-treat spots were marked by cast members holding signs.

The character spots are marked on the map, but the map doesn't tell you which characters are at which spots; it just indicates that a character will be there. Also note that some characters met in one spot for the first party but were moved to a different spot at later parties.

Here is last year's (2018) map so that you can see what I'm talking about:
https://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party-map.htm

We got our map the day before the first party last year when we were at the MK. They had stacks of them inside the ticket window booths right outside the MK. I saw them when I was converting my tickets into AP’s. I asked the CM for a map and she happily obliged. :)

Somebody will probably post the map on this thread as soon as they become available, usually the day before or day of.

I was in the Magic Kingdom during the day of the first party in 2018. Someone reported here that they were able to get a party map mid-morning that day. I believe they got it outside the Magic Kingdom, at the ticket window (or guest services if there is one outside the park). I checked at the Guest Services-type office which is in Liberty Square in the Magic Kingdom but they did not have it mid-morning. They had it early afternoon.

Keep in mind that you are somewhat going in blind for the first party.

The map indicates that there are trick-or-treat spots in the different Lands, but not exactly where the trick-or-treat spots are. As I walked around, some were marked by tall thick orange balloon-type things. (The problem with that is, you will see orange out of the corner of your eye and think it is the balloon-thing but then realize it's just some person wearing an orange shirt. A lot of people wear orange shirts.) Other trick-or-treat spots were marked by cast members holding signs.

The character spots are marked on the map, but the map doesn't tell you which characters are at which spots; it just indicates that a character will be there. Also note that some characters met in one spot for the first party but were moved to a different spot at later parties.

Here is last year's (2018) map so that you can see what I'm talking about:
https://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party-map.htm

Great points!

I was excited to get my map, but after a quick glance, I realized it wasn’t much different from previous maps. And you’re right, we are all guinea pigs at the first party.
Then we report our experiences to help others and they change character meet locations around anyways. :faint:

Most everything people need will be on the first page of this thread. :)

Anyone else having trouble ordering party tickets online, l keep getting an error message saying please try again later.

Anyone else having trouble ordering party tickets online, l keep getting an error message saying please try again later.

I know booking is down for rooms right now. Try again in 15 or so minutes (or later tonight if you aren’t in a hurry).

Can we buy Halloween tshirts, say at DS, prior to going to MNSSHP?

Last edited:
Can we buy Halloween tshirts, say at DS, prior to going to MNSSHP?
Not the MNSSHP exclusive shirts, those are only available at MK. There will be other Halloween merchandise for sale at other parks and DS, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter