Official 2019 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend

Is there anyone that is doing the Princess half and then Star Wars half? What training plan are you going to follow in between races?

I am. And, I don't know.:teeth:
Since I'm doing all three races at princess I'll probably keep it easy for a week or so. Then I'll probably look at one of the Galloway plans and try to just keep my mileage up. I'm doing them both with various friends that just don't run as much as DH (he's only doing SW) and I do, so we're doing them for fun and activity. Also there are 3 first timers for run Disney, so we're there to make it fun and encouraging. After that though is W&D, which DH and I are going to get very serious about.

Is there anyone that is doing the Princess half and then Star Wars half? What training plan are you going to follow in between races?
When I've had two races somewhat close together (Disneyland Half in September and then the Wine & Dine Half in November or Star Wars Light Side in January 2017 and Star Wars Dark Side in April 2017), after the first race, I took a week or so off depending on how I felt before picking up the other plan exactly where it stood right then as if I had been training for it at the beginning. Each person is different, but that has worked for me.

When I've had two races somewhat close together (Disneyland Half in September and then the Wine & Dine Half in November or Star Wars Light Side in January 2017 and Star Wars Dark Side in April 2017), after the first race, I took a week or so off depending on how I felt before picking up the other plan exactly where it stood right then as if I had been training for it at the beginning. Each person is different, but that has worked for me.
Yeah that’s often been my approach too.

When you say "chilly" what does that mean? Just trying to get an idea on temps for these races. :-)
I'm Floridian - "chilly" enough to switch form a skirt to capris would be temps staying in the low-60s or lower. I HATE cold knees. :)

I hope it is chilly! My only concern about this race is it being hot and humid. In general, I don't like hot weather. Also, I live in a very dry climate, so I have no experience with running and humidity.
The chances of it being warm and humid are a lot higher than it being chilly. I ran the first one back in 2016, and it was very warm and humid.
Yeah, speaking as a Floridian, I'd assume warm (perhaps "hot" to northerners - I don't think of 70s as "hot" because HOT comes in summer when it's 90+ for 6 months straight lol!) and humid. Most mornings here are 90% humidity, regardless of temp. It's possible to get a cold front that first week of April, but not likely and would be 100% dictated by what weather's doing across the rest of the country. Normal would be warm and humid - basically the equivalent of summer everywhere else.

I'm Floridian - "chilly" enough to switch form a skirt to capris would be temps staying in the low-60s or lower. I HATE cold knees. :)

Yeah, speaking as a Floridian, I'd assume warm (perhaps "hot" to northerners - I don't think of 70s as "hot" because HOT comes in summer when it's 90+ for 6 months straight lol!) and humid. Most mornings here are 90% humidity, regardless of temp. It's possible to get a cold front that first week of April, but not likely and would be 100% dictated by what weather's doing across the rest of the country. Normal would be warm and humid - basically the equivalent of summer everywhere else.

I was thinking about this earlier this week - I had a work trip to FL, and I ran in 75 degrees/90% humidity, which was jarring coming from Polar Vortex land. Then my friends who I am running with were like, "it's just Disney acclimatization!" I'm hoping March isn't too freezing here, otherwise the races are going to be rough, weather wise.

The chances of it being warm and humid are a lot higher than it being chilly. I ran the first one back in 2016, and it was very warm and humid.

2017 was as well. As I recall it was about 60 at race start, and pushing 80 by the end.

LOL - 40 degrees is tank and shorts weather for me.
40 for me means thermal tights, a couple long sleeve tops, Buff over my mouth and nose (because if it's 40 here, it's due to a cold front, and those come with cold, dry air - which kills my lungs), hat, and gloves. :) I'd blame it on living more than half my life in FL, but 40 was cold to me when I lived up north, too. Hence my move to FL lol!

2017 was as well. As I recall it was about 60 at race start, and pushing 80 by the end.
Not my favorite, but I can deal with those temps...

Does any one have running in humidity advice? I did the 2018 WDW Half and 2018 W&D - neither of those were humid enough for me to notice. Originally I thought no way to a half in Florida in April, but my love of Star Wars won!!! :rotfl2:

Does any one have running in humidity advice? I did the 2018 WDW Half and 2018 W&D - neither of those were humid enough for me to notice. Originally I thought no way to a half in Florida in April, but my love of Star Wars won!!! :rotfl2:
Get as far as you can while the sun is still down lol. Hydrate more and pay attention and listen to your body. If anyone does know the trick to beating the humidity, I'm all ears.

Does any one have running in humidity advice? I did the 2018 WDW Half and 2018 W&D - neither of those were humid enough for me to notice.
If anyone does know the trick to beating the humidity, I'm all ears.
Sorry - there is no "beating the humidity," only accepting it and carrying on lol!
Accept... that the pavement will be damp. Your clothes will be damp. Your hair will be damp. The very air will be damp.
Accept... that high humidity means that sweat doesn't evaporate well. And when sweat doesn't evaporate well, things happen. Things like clothes getting very, very wet - you want technical, wicking fabric not because it wicks the sweat away and makes you dry (it doesn't), but because it doesn't hold water very well, so it doesn't get heavy and uncomfortable.
Accept... that when sweat isn't evaporating due to high humidity, AND the air is warm/hot, the greater is the likelihood of overheating. SLOW down to compensate.
Accept... that if it's hot and humid and sweating buckets, you should be hydrating, but you're also losing electrolytes, so have a plan for replacement, be it on-course Powerade or BYO item of choice.

Personally, I never chafe in high humidity because my skin stays slick from sweat and glides instead of sticking. But I hear plenty of folks say they do chafe in humidity, so best have a plan for that. Body Glide anywhere clothes could rub skin (underarm seams, bra bands, waistbands, etc.), and places where skin rubs on skin (inner thighs, underarms, etc.)

Also, SUNSCREEN!!! Use it. It won't help with humidity, but it will prevent a nasty sunburn, and a nasty sunburn plus dehydration plus heat and humidity isn't a fun way to celebrate post-race. :thumbsup2

This is one of the few times I am grateful for living on the Texas gulf coast. Our weather is very similar to Florida weather. There is little acclimation to be done. But I also wondered why I was running a half in April...

As an add on to the sunscreen recommendation. make sure it's waterproof/resistant. Otherwise you will sweat it all off and end up with a nasty burn anyway.

Sorry - there is no "beating the humidity," only accepting it and carrying on lol!
Accept... that the pavement will be damp. Your clothes will be damp. Your hair will be damp. The very air will be damp.
Accept... that high humidity means that sweat doesn't evaporate well. And when sweat doesn't evaporate well, things happen. Things like clothes getting very, very wet - you want technical, wicking fabric not because it wicks the sweat away and makes you dry (it doesn't), but because it doesn't hold water very well, so it doesn't get heavy and uncomfortable.
Accept... that when sweat isn't evaporating due to high humidity, AND the air is warm/hot, the greater is the likelihood of overheating. SLOW down to compensate.
Accept... that if it's hot and humid and sweating buckets, you should be hydrating, but you're also losing electrolytes, so have a plan for replacement, be it on-course Powerade or BYO item of choice.

Personally, I never chafe in high humidity because my skin stays slick from sweat and glides instead of sticking. But I hear plenty of folks say they do chafe in humidity, so best have a plan for that. Body Glide anywhere clothes could rub skin (underarm seams, bra bands, waistbands, etc.), and places where skin rubs on skin (inner thighs, underarms, etc.)

Also, SUNSCREEN!!! Use it. It won't help with humidity, but it will prevent a nasty sunburn, and a nasty sunburn plus dehydration plus heat and humidity isn't a fun way to celebrate post-race. :thumbsup2

Thanks! I will plan on doing all of those things... I guess I am as prepared for the humidity as I can be then! :)

As an add on to the sunscreen recommendation. make sure it's waterproof/resistant. Otherwise you will sweat it all off and end up with a nasty burn anyway.

Aid stations on the course will usually have sunscreen so you can reapply. If you're toward the back of the pack (like I am), you'll definitely need to reapply before you're finished even if you've applied in the corral.

Aid stations on the course will usually have sunscreen so you can reapply. If you're toward the back of the pack (like I am), you'll definitely need to reapply before you're finished even if you've applied in the corral.
They should have sunscreen, yes, but twice now I've seen them tell folks they either didn't have any, or they ran out. If I'm running long enough to need to reapply, I carry a tiny little sunscreen stick with me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter