Official 2019 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend

They should have sunscreen, yes, but twice now I've seen them tell folks they either didn't have any, or they ran out. If I'm running long enough to need to reapply, I carry a tiny little sunscreen stick with me.

Same! Hence my use of "usually" -- but any of us in the back half of the pack should be prepared to BYO anything we may need on the course.

Aid stations on the course will usually have sunscreen so you can reapply. If you're toward the back of the pack (like I am), you'll definitely need to reapply before you're finished even if you've applied in the corral.
The aid stations either ran out during the marathon or didn't have sunscreen. I carried my own, which I used once and gave to another runner to use when she needed it.

They should have sunscreen, yes, but twice now I've seen them tell folks they either didn't have any, or they ran out. If I'm running long enough to need to reapply, I carry a tiny little sunscreen stick with me.
I'm a firm believer in trust only myself to bring what I usually need for a big race. No matter what the course should have, if I'm prepared then I'm not in trouble. I've ran Disney races where they ran out of powerade/water at a station early on in the race. The others were all fine, but it can happen anywhere.

Same! Hence my use of "usually" -- but any of us in the back half of the pack should be prepared to BYO anything we may need on the course.
Exactly. You never know when you might need something on the course and are nowhere near an aid station. When I put ice bags on my head to help me cool down during the marathon, it felt like the aid station took forever to arrive to when I decided to do that. But ice bags are one thing you can't really carry.

No matter what the course should have, if I'm prepared then I'm not in trouble. I've ran Disney races where they ran out of powerade/water at a station early on in the race. The others were all fine, but it can happen anywhere.
Yep, for sure. WDW Half 2018, by the time I got to the Sports Beans tables, they were gone and folding up the tables: no beans left. No issue for me, as I carry my own fuel, but there were still a couple thousand people behind me who may have needed it.

Yep, for sure. WDW Half 2018, by the time I got to the Sports Beans tables, they were gone and folding up the tables: no beans left. No issue for me, as I carry my own fuel, but there were still a couple thousand people behind me who may have needed it.
This is why I disagree with anyone who says you don't need to bring your own fuel/hydration to races, including runDisney races. Carrying my own water and filling my pockets/running belt with "extra" fuel is a minor inconvenience compared to needing something and not having it because the race ran out.

Before 2017 Dark Side, they were really emphasizing heat, humidity, and staying hydrated. When hydration stop number one was empty, I didn't worry because I was carrying my own. The other stations were fine, so they had dealt with whatever caused them to run out, but does anyone really want to be the runner who desperately needs something and doesn't have it?

Before 2017 Dark Side, they were really emphasizing heat, humidity, and staying hydrated. When hydration stop number one was empty, I didn't worry because I was carrying my own. The other stations were fine, so they had dealt with whatever caused them to run out, but does anyone really want to be the runner who desperately needs something and doesn't have it?

Yikes! What corral did you start in? I was in one of the last few launches from the last corral, and I don't remember any of the water stops being out. (But I had my own water bottle, and was getting it refilled at each stop.)

Yikes! What corral did you start in? I was in one of the last few launches from the last corral, and I don't remember any of the water stops being out. (But I had my own water bottle, and was getting it refilled at each stop.)
I was in the last corral. Not sure which launch. It was only the first stop that was out. All the others were fine.

Seven weeks until the 5k! Is everybody training hard? Getting your travel and other prep in order? I started to wonder when waivers will be released but then realized we still probably have another month for that right?
To be honest, about a month ago I was feeling guilty for dragging DH on this "extra" Disney trip this year, it felt frivolous, I could have run a local half in April instead. But at this point in winter I am READY to head to Florida.
Anybody with me and hoping that there will be some special surprise/teaser/extra for all of us doing these races, in anticipation of Galaxy's Edge opening later this year? I think we deserve something for being Star Wars fans and running the race in the lull before the hype machine grinds into action. We're keeping the embers burning in the meantime! That counts for something right?

Seven weeks until the 5k! Is everybody training hard? Getting your travel and other prep in order? I started to wonder when waivers will be released but then realized we still probably have another month for that right?
To be honest, about a month ago I was feeling guilty for dragging DH on this "extra" Disney trip this year, it felt frivolous, I could have run a local half in April instead. But at this point in winter I am READY to head to Florida.
Anybody with me and hoping that there will be some special surprise/teaser/extra for all of us doing these races, in anticipation of Galaxy's Edge opening later this year? I think we deserve something for being Star Wars fans and running the race in the lull before the hype machine grinds into action. We're keeping the embers burning in the meantime! That counts for something right?

I'm so ready for some Florida sun. Due to a string of cold weather in the mid-west I have been relegated to training almost strictly indoors. I don't feel I'm as ready as I would like to be. I'm hoping for a mild March though and a chance to get some long runs in. I'm not holding my breath on any type of sneak peak of Star Wars land but it would be really cool if they did something, even it was a video prior to the races. Like you said, only 7 weeks til we get started..it's exciting.

They've shown the trailers for the upcoming releases the past few years. With Celebration the weekend after and the Ep. IX trailer debuting there (despite the rumors I can't imagine we get anything before then), they could very well show something about Galaxy's Edge.

I started to wonder when waivers will be released but then realized we still probably have another month for that right?
Yep, at least another month - they've been waiting longer to release the guide and waivers lately. rD needs to get through PHM weekend first!

Training - I've got a half next weekend, I'll take whatever time I need to recover from that, and then SW can have my full focus. Started the back-to-back training last week, though.

Training is going well, but I am so sick of the dreadmill and winter!!! I think I will do a little shopping this weekend to brighten my mood, maybe pick up some shorts, sunglasses, & sandals for sunny Florida. 8-)
I actually just ordered two Star Wars-themed tanks from Teepublic to wear in the 10k and half. When they arrive I'll see what bottoms go with. Trying to keep my spirits up in the cold.

I actually just ordered two Star Wars-themed tanks from Teepublic to wear in the 10k and half. When they arrive I'll see what bottoms go with. Trying to keep my spirits up in the cold.

Ok, so I just spent an hour at work looking at tanks on Teepublic, lol!! Thanks @SheHulk! :P

I might have to buy one for the 10K. Last night I ordered a rebel pilot tank on etsy that I will probably pair with an orange sparkle skirt for the half.

I know this has been discussed a million times on here, but this is the first time I'm participating in a Disney 5k and my wife, daughter (9) and her friend are also participating and they are not runners. I know they are pretty lax with the time, but can you get swept in a 5k and does anyone know approximately what pace we need to adhere to? We should be able to hit a 16 minute pace walking, but we will probably want to take a picture or two along the way if time allows.

I know this has been discussed a million times on here, but this is the first time I'm participating in a Disney 5k and my wife, daughter (9) and her friend are also participating and they are not runners. I know they are pretty lax with the time, but can you get swept in a 5k and does anyone know approximately what pace we need to adhere to? We should be able to hit a 16 minute pace walking, but we will probably want to take a picture or two along the way if time allows.

The official pace requirement is 16 minutes per mile, but that starts with the very last set of folks cross the start line (the infamous "balloon ladies"). In general, you would have whatever additional buffer on top of that based on how far ahead of them you start. But, usually, there is no sweep during the 5K! My mother (who has knee and hip issues) walked the Princess 5K a few years back in about two hours. There were plenty of folks behind her and we were never told to pick up the pace by anyone.

ETA: If you're truly at risk of the course being closed, Disney will close off the character lines and waive people past, or tell those in line that if they wait they risk being pulled. But again, with the 5K you usually don't have to worry too much about this as there is no hard sweep. There's just a time by which they must clean up the course to open the park.

The official pace requirement is 16 minutes per mile, but that starts with the very last set of folks cross the start line (the infamous "balloon ladies"). In general, you would have whatever additional buffer on top of that based on how far ahead of them you start. But, usually, there is no sweep during the 5K! My mother (who has knee and hip issues) walked the Princess 5K a few years back in about two hours. There were plenty of folks behind her and we were never told to pick up the pace by anyone.

ETA: If you're truly at risk of the course being closed, Disney will close off the character lines and waive people past, or tell those in line that if they wait they risk being pulled. But again, with the 5K you usually don't have to worry too much about this as there is no hard sweep. There's just a time by which they must clean up the course to open the park.

That is exactly what I was wanting to know. Thanks so much.

I walked the 2018 Dark Side 5K to preserve my strength for the challenge. I finished in a tad over 90 minutes with a few character stops such as the stormtroopers in full view of Spaceship Earth and quite a few cosplay groups near the finish line.

I'm slower and in races where they do sweep, I have always been told where the balloon ladies are if they are 10 minutes or less behind me. On one occasion, I was in line for the Emperor's Throne during the 10K and they told us the sweep would occur when the ballon ladies reached the throne in 5 minutes and we could either stay in line and be swept when they reached us or leave the line and stay with them. I was 3rd in line when this happened, so I was already on my way when I saw the parade bus pull up to sweep those runners behind it.

In my experience, they will tell you if you are in any danger of being swept. I've never been swept and aside from that one time during a 10K have never actually seen the sweep occur. For what it's worth, you can still finish even behind the balloon ladies. You just have to be far enough along on the course where they won't remove you from the course unless you stop moving.

Ok, so I just spent an hour at work looking at tanks on Teepublic, lol!! Thanks @SheHulk! :P

I might have to buy one for the 10K. Last night I ordered a rebel pilot tank on etsy that I will probably pair with an orange sparkle skirt for the half.
Oh, good. It wasn't just me... :rolleyes1

I don't see any tech shirts available. Do they offer any wicking shirts (cause I sure like to sweat when running)?

I don't see any tech shirts available. Do they offer any wicking shirts (cause I sure like to sweat when running)?
I bought their "Tri Blend Racerback" tank, which is not a tech shirt but is 50% polyester and 25% rayon, 25% cotton. I'm figuring that's going to be good enough especially given that it's a tank top. Your mileage may vary for sure though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!