OFFICIAL 2020 Free Dining WATCH Thread - FREE DINING No Longer Available. First Post Updated with Details

I have booked free dining before but I've never modified a reservation. If I have a reservation now for September can I go online to adjust it if discounts come out? I'd prefer to do it online, I just don't want to be at the mercy of a CM on the phone.
In 2018 I modified - changed my resort and to Free Dining. I ended up adding a day, which I had to call for afterwards to change.

In January 2019 I booked the day FD came out. Ended up having to switch resorts a few weeks later, so I was able to modify that online while still getting FD.

For 2020 I am hoping I can modify my existing but I think we want to add a day so I will have to change online THEN call, too.

I'm jumping in here! Was scheduled to visit this week, but with only weeks to go, life got in the way and had to cancel. So, looking forward to researching and setting dates and rebuilding my vacation once again. Hopefully FD or discounts will help decide the dates in Nov or early Dec.

I don’t have any experience modifying an existing booking to add free dining. Unless things have recently changed my understanding is that you will need to book a complete new reservation then once that is done cancel your first reservation.

Has anyone else been able to add free dining online themselves (or even on the phone with a Cast Member) to an existing reservation?

I have been able to add free dining to an existing reservation with a free dining bounceback offer but not a general public offer and this was done by calling the bb numbrr, not by myself online.

Not sure if you recall the 2017 drop I believe it was around 4:30 am central time for me and I was up early hitting refresh like crazy until finally it popped up, I immediately pulled up my reservation and was able to change my Poly reservation to a FD reservation. I then came on the DIS as soon as I could and so many were disappointed with how there dates or resorts were not included or available. Wow I remember the old days when you had so much more choice it seemed.

Oh the early booking window with our Disney Visa also.

Not sure if you recall the 2017 drop I believe it was around 4:30 am central time for me and I was up early hitting refresh like crazy until finally it popped up, I immediately pulled up my reservation and was able to change my Poly reservation to a FD reservation. I then came on the DIS as soon as I could and so many were disappointed with how there dates or resorts were not included or available. Wow I remember the old days when you had so much more choice it seemed.

Oh the early booking window with our Disney Visa also.

That was my first experience doing free dining.I got exactly what I wanted even though I didn't sleep that night.

At that time I didn't have a Disney Visa. For whatever reason we held off for years. Now I have one so I would gladly save the grief and book with a visa deal. Once again fingers crossed. We'll still go but free dining would be fabulous.

That was my first experience doing free dining.I got exactly what I wanted even though I didn't sleep that night.

At that time I didn't have a Disney Visa. For whatever reason we held off for years. Now I have one so I would gladly save the grief and book with a visa deal. Once again fingers crossed. We'll still go but free dining would be fabulous.
Is there a Disney Visa promotion thread anywhere in the Disboards? I always seem to miss the promotions.

Good morning, all. This seems like a good place to ask. I already have my reservation made. If FD drops, can it just be added it to my reservation or do I have to make a new reservation? In 2017 my agent told me I had to make a whole new reservation, so I got the FD but I had to pay the new, higher room rate.

Good morning, all. This seems like a good place to ask. I already have my reservation made. If FD drops, can it just be added it to my reservation or do I have to make a new reservation? In 2017 my agent told me I had to make a whole new reservation, so I got the FD but I had to pay the new, higher room rate.
That is the million dollar question because people have had various experiences different years.

Probably the first thing to look at is your current reservation. Do you have a 'Modify' button? If you do there is more hope that you will be able to modify your existing reservation but it's not guaranteed.

If it were me waiting I'd have a plan A, B and C ready for whenever FD potentially drops.

That is the million dollar question because people have had various experiences different years.

Probably the first thing to look at is your current reservation. Do you have a 'Modify' button? If you do there is more hope that you will be able to modify your existing reservation but it's not guaranteed.

If it were me waiting I'd have a plan A, B and C ready for whenever FD potentially drops.

I don't have a modify button. My guess is it's because I had an agent make the reservation. I just want to be able to call BS on her if she tells me I have to make a new reservation and pay a higher room rate. Thanks for the reply.

I don't have a modify button. My guess is it's because I had an agent make the reservation. I just want to be able to call BS on her if she tells me I have to make a new reservation and pay a higher room rate. Thanks for the reply.
If a TA made your reservation you're at her mercy to make any changes.

She may do her very best to add FD but not be able to do it. I wouldn't plan on her being able to change the reservation either.

If you truly want to TRY and add FD to an existing reservation if/when FD drops then I'd recommend you book the reservation yourself now and you try to change it on drop day. Drop day is an absolute mess and there is no guarantee anyone can update/change an existing reservation or even make a new reservation that you want but I would want to be in control of my own trip and not at the mercy of a TA. I have a vested interest in my trip.

If a TA made your reservation you're at her mercy to make any changes.

She may do her very best to add FD but not be able to do it. I wouldn't plan on her being able to change the reservation either.

If you truly want to TRY and add FD to an existing reservation if/when FD drops then I'd recommend you book the reservation yourself now and you try to change it on drop day. Drop day is an absolute mess and there is no guarantee anyone can update/change an existing reservation or even make a new reservation that you want but I would want to be in control of my own trip and not at the mercy of a TA. I have a vested interest in my trip.

Generally, I agree with you. I've used this TA before. She stays on top of things, I trust her. She's always gotten me on promotions before (including FD). I'm a control nut, so letting go is tough for me to do. But I also don't want to be up at 4:30 in the morning hitting the refresh button over and over. LOL It's just my son and I on this trip, so if we get it, we get it. If not, it's not like I'm trying to feed a family of 6 or anything. But I trust my TA, which, believe me, is a hard thing to accomplish with me. If nothing else, I figure they'll have room discounts, too. I just didn't like having to make a new reservation at the higher room rate last time (2017). I assumed you could just add it to your existing reservation.

Generally, I agree with you. I've used this TA before. She stays on top of things, I trust her. She's always gotten me on promotions before (including FD). I'm a control nut, so letting go is tough for me to do. But I also don't want to be up at 4:30 in the morning hitting the refresh button over and over. LOL It's just my son and I on this trip, so if we get it, we get it. If not, it's not like I'm trying to feed a family of 6 or anything. But I trust my TA, which, believe me, is a hard thing to accomplish with me. If nothing else, I figure they'll have room discounts, too. I just didn't like having to make a new reservation at the higher room rate last time (2017). I assumed you could just add it to your existing reservation.

Unless you currently have a promotion the room rate should stay the same with free dining. Free dining you pay rack rate on the rooms. If you do currently have a deal on the room rate then you'll have to do the math and see if free dining works out to be a better deal. It's really easy to go on to the Disney site and price out your trip.

For those asking about modify vs making a new reservation, in either case your odds of getting the FD promotion are the same. Even thought the button says "modify" what you're really doing is searching for a new room that is available under the promotion. You're not really adding the promotion to your current reservation, if that makes sense. The only advantage to modify is not having to pay another deposit; it doesn't increase your chances of getting a room with the promotion.

Unless you currently have a promotion the room rate should stay the same with free dining. Free dining you pay rack rate on the rooms. If you do currently have a deal on the room rate then you'll have to do the math and see if free dining works out to be a better deal. It's really easy to go on to the Disney site and price out your trip.
Depending on how long ago the original reservation was booked, the rooms may have increased in price. They seem to creep up a couple of times a year.

I would assume that if you have an older room rate, you may or may not get the modify button. They are giving you something for free, and by the things I've heard is that they want it at the new room rate. So if I'm guessing if you booked after the last room rate increase, then a modify button will appear, if before it may not be there. They say its free dining, but really it's just discounted dining. The only real free dining is the bounce back and that is to get people into the parks.

I would assume that if you have an older room rate, you may or may not get the modify button. They are giving you something for free, and by the things I've heard is that they want it at the new room rate. So if I'm guessing if you booked after the last room rate increase, then a modify button will appear, if before it may not be there. They say its free dining, but really it's just discounted dining. The only real free dining is the bounce back and that is to get people into the parks.
My understanding is that OP used a Travel Agent to make their booking on their behalf. Bookings made via a TA will not have a modify button as only the TA can modify their reservation.

My understanding is that OP used a Travel Agent to make their booking on their behalf. Bookings made via a TA will not have a modify button as only the TA can modify their reservation.

Yes, I have a TA. But it's all good information nonetheless for those who don't. Thanks to all that responded!

As far as my previous experience, I'm positive that's what happened. The room rates did increase between the time I made my original reservation and the time FD dropped, so my TA had to make a "new" reservation at the higher rate. She and I have had this discussion already. She said she wouldn't make the "new" reservation if the numbers don't make sense.

Not to mention, they keep moving the goalposts as to who qualifies for FD and who doesn't. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the requirement for the current promotion 5 nights/6 days? If that's the mark that has to be hit for this round, I wouldn't qualify anyway. When I went in 2017 the qualification was 3 nights/4 days plus having a parkhopper+. I currently have the parkhopper, not the parkhopper+. So, if this round comes out and I theoretically have to pay a higher room rate plus upgrade to parkhopper+, I don't know if the numbers work for just two people.

Are there any rumors out there about what the possible requirements would be for this round, assuming FD is offered?

Yes, I have a TA. But it's all good information nonetheless for those who don't. Thanks to all that responded!

As far as my previous experience, I'm positive that's what happened. The room rates did increase between the time I made my original reservation and the time FD dropped, so my TA had to make a "new" reservation at the higher rate. She and I have had this discussion already. She said she wouldn't make the "new" reservation if the numbers don't make sense.

Not to mention, they keep moving the goalposts as to who qualifies for FD and who doesn't. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the requirement for the current promotion 5 nights/6 days? If that's the mark that has to be hit for this round, I wouldn't qualify anyway. When I went in 2017 the qualification was 3 nights/4 days plus having a parkhopper+. I currently have the parkhopper, not the parkhopper+. So, if this round comes out and I theoretically have to pay a higher room rate plus upgrade to parkhopper+, I don't know if the numbers work for just two people.

Are there any rumors out there about what the possible requirements would be for this round, assuming FD is offered?
The requirement for the last FD promo was a 4 night minimum stay. It’s confusing the way they state the promo as “5 nights/6 days”, but if you read the fine print “other stays may be available”.
Also, you did have to purchase a park hopper in the latest FD promos, but you’re not required to get the park hopper plus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter