OFFICIAL 2020 Free Dining WATCH Thread - FREE DINING No Longer Available. First Post Updated with Details

following...I have a room booked for the week after Easter, but would happily exchange it for a free dining trip :)

Decided today that we’re coming back this summer! Planning for the very end of May into the first week of June. Here’s to hoping with the rest of you, come on free dining, lol.

following...I have a room booked for the week after Easter, but would happily exchange it for a free dining trip :)
Umm...shifting now to the September might save you as much as free dining does, giving the room rate differences

Following! Hoping for free dining late November/early December 2020, and that they drop it January 2nd again! Booked an adult-only trip for December 1-6, 2020. 2019 was a weird year for FD to say the least, so I'm hoping they go back to how 2018 was and our check-in date (the Tuesday after Thanksgiving) will be offered. I'm willing to change our arrival date a day or 2 to get it. If they don't offer FD when we want to go, we budgeted without it so we're fine. Then we'll hope for a room discount!

We could have booked the Bounceback offer when we were at WDW last month, but I didn't want to go later in December.

Booked for early Nov. at ***, usually a free dining window, if the offer comes out I'll just have to see if it will be a savings after ticket, and hotel price increases. Normally a free quick service plan, but we always upgrade to the regular dining plan.

Thanks for starting the tread! I'm latching on and hoping for something Nov or early Dec. Fingers crossed!!

When do you think they’ll be dropped? Any chance of a January 2nd drop again?

Based on history and dates of current discounts, it's almost certain that new discounts will be announced around January 2nd. Whether that's room discounts, some limited free dining (like "summer dining" 1 QS per day) or full free dining, will have to wait and see.

Has there ever been a free dining offer for early-mid May? Maybe a Play, Stay and Dine offer??

Has there ever been a free dining offer for early-mid May? Maybe a Play, Stay and Dine offer??

"Summer meal deal" has hit May before, 1 QS per day, for value and moderate guests.

But free dining was moved up significantly last year:

2016: began 8/23
2017: began 8/13
2018: began 8/20
2019: began 7/5

Fingers crossed they move it even earlier...

I have booked free dining before but I've never modified a reservation. If I have a reservation now for September can I go online to adjust it if discounts come out? I'd prefer to do it online, I just don't want to be at the mercy of a CM on the phone.

I have booked free dining before but I've never modified a reservation. If I have a reservation now for September can I go online to adjust it if discounts come out? I'd prefer to do it online, I just don't want to be at the mercy of a CM on the phone.
I don’t have any experience modifying an existing booking to add free dining. Unless things have recently changed my understanding is that you will need to book a complete new reservation then once that is done cancel your first reservation.

Has anyone else been able to add free dining online themselves (or even on the phone with a Cast Member) to an existing reservation?

I have been able to add free dining to an existing reservation with a free dining bounceback offer but not a general public offer and this was done by calling the bb numbrr, not by myself online.

We're at the mercy of Disney's IT, and how many people are online trying to do the same thing, when it comes to modifying. In 2015, I was able to modify my reservation without any hiccups. I went in the morning FD dropped, clicked change reservation, and added it, it took all of 10 minutes. In 2018, same process but the website kept freezing and I wasn't able to modify it. I made a new reservation without any problems, no freezing or glitches, and then once I got the confirmations for the new res I cancelled the old one. Last year, I was able to modify and not have to make a new res. 2015 and 2018, I was up early waiting for it to drop (around 4) and last year it was a surprise to all of us, so it was around 6:30-7ish because I was already at work when I found out about it. All of that is to say, I don't think it has anything to do with the timing of when you do it.

So now, I still book when packages are released but I only put the $200 down, that way if it happens like it did in 2018 I have the $200 to make a new reservation if needed. It wasn't a problem getting the refund from Disney, I had it within the week, I just didn't like having the money tied up in another reservation.

Be patient, prepared, and have a game plan if things are going wonky on the Disney site.

Ok, thanks, looks like I'll be prepared to make a new reservation just in case which is no big deal. Gotta love Disney IT. :)

This may not be the best place to ask but I will give it a shot. We are looking at getting free dining if it is offered. This year we are going with my mom and step-dad. I am thinking of just adding them to my account since they will never go without us. They are not Disney people and don't understand why we go so often. If I add them to mine and want to get 2 rooms do I make 2 different reservations or is it better to call?

I’ve modified in the past. Sometimes you can do it, sometimes you can’t. It depends on if your modify button works. Lol.

If you can’t modify, just make a new fd reservation online and cancel your existing one.

This may not be the best place to ask but I will give it a shot. We are looking at getting free dining if it is offered. This year we are going with my mom and step-dad. I am thinking of just adding them to my account since they will never go without us. They are not Disney people and don't understand why we go so often. If I add them to mine and want to get 2 rooms do I make 2 different reservations or is it better to call?
My parents are similar so I set up a MDE account for them using their email address. We both know the PW. Since you would need 2 reservations I would recommend booking one with your account and 1 with the account registered with your parent's email address. My mom knows to forward all Disney emails to me so that I can easily track both of our reservations.

I'll admit I haven't tried the option you're asking about. 4 adults on one MDE account. Booking 2 reservations at the same time. Personally, I'd be afraid the system might cancel one of the reservations since they're for identical time frames and the same email address.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!