OFFICIAL 2020 Free Dining WATCH Thread - FREE DINING No Longer Available. First Post Updated with Details

Holy cow are you right. Just reading you guys up thread with all your acronyms is making my head spin. :-)

My kids will be 8 and 12, so really it looks like I will pay for 3 adults and 1 child. $2k for a dining plan seems really high, can my family really eat that much food?

Then I think, yes, we all like to eat, and my wife and kids are constantly hungry even after 2 hours of eating a sit down meal, will be wanting something to snack on. LOL.

And, if my whole vacation is inside the parks, I will be paying park prices for snacks and meals.

When I add it up, my family of 4 would need to spend $289 every single day on food to make the dining plan worth it.

My total budget for the 7 day trip wanted to be around $4,000. A quick pricing at the Port Orleans put my right about there with this free dining plan ($4,300). Paying for the plan is right at $6,100!
It really depends on how your family likes to eat. If you like a table service meal most of those would run your family close to $200. That would leave you $89 for quick service and snacks.

For our family of 2, free dining is the best savings, especially as I love the break from looking at food prices all week. We stay at a value resort.

Holy cow are you right. Just reading you guys up thread with all your acronyms is making my head spin. :-)

My kids will be 8 and 12, so really it looks like I will pay for 3 adults and 1 child. $2k for a dining plan seems really high, can my family really eat that much food?

Then I think, yes, we all like to eat, and my wife and kids are constantly hungry even after 2 hours of eating a sit down meal, will be wanting something to snack on. LOL.

And, if my whole vacation is inside the parks, I will be paying park prices for snacks and meals.

When I add it up, my family of 4 would need to spend $289 every single day on food to make the dining plan worth it.

My total budget for the 7 day trip wanted to be around $4,000. A quick pricing at the Port Orleans put my right about there with this free dining plan ($4,300). Paying for the plan is right at $6,100!

I know it would be difficult to do, but if you can look at some menus at places you think you might like to eat and calculate around how much each meal would cost you, you can easily see if the dining plan is going to work for you or not. For 2 adults each table service meal costs us a little under or a little over $100. Counter service I would say around $30 or so. Snacks can be from $5-$7 each. Buffets and family style meals will fill you up for sure, that might be a good thing for your wife and kids. Last trip we ate a lot of those and were so stuffed the whole time (we need to limit ourselves next trip lol). I agree with the previous poster, if you see something available, book it now. It will cost a $200 deposit, but that is refundable if you cancel. Better to have something while you decide since free dining ends on Thursday.

You can google Disney dining calculator. Put in how many meals you plan on eating, you don't have to put in the restuarant you can just choose average quick service or average table service. That will give you a guesstimate about how much food will cost you. It's obviously not perfect but at least then you know what you might spend.

You can google Disney dining calculator. Put in how many meals you plan on eating, you don't have to put in the restuarant you can just choose average quick service or average table service. That will give you a guesstimate about how much food will cost you. It's obviously not perfect but at least then you know what you might spend.

Thanks for this tip. I did some random clicking on my days and came up with $2,700 for food. WHOA!!

I know it would be difficult to do, but if you can look at some menus at places you think you might like to eat and calculate around how much each meal would cost you, you can easily see if the dining plan is going to work for you or not. For 2 adults each table service meal costs us a little under or a little over $100. Counter service I would say around $30 or so. Snacks can be from $5-$7 each. Buffets and family style meals will fill you up for sure, that might be a good thing for your wife and kids. Last trip we ate a lot of those and were so stuffed the whole time (we need to limit ourselves next trip lol). I agree with the previous poster, if you see something available, book it now. It will cost a $200 deposit, but that is refundable if you cancel. Better to have something while you decide since free dining ends on Thursday.

I see now that a $200 deposit is needed, thank you for that. I was assuming before that the full amount would be due immediately!!!!

But the page also says there is "no penalty" for canceling if before this date 30 days before my trip, so I hope the $200 is refundable if canceled before that date?

"Check Out—and modify or cancel without penalty by August 06, 2020... for cancellations made 30 days or more prior to Guest arrival: amounts paid, minus cancellation fees assessed by third party hotels or other suppliers, travel insurance premiums, and other amounts owed, will be refunded."

Looks like Port Orleans at $4,300 was actually just the Quick Service plan, it's a $500 adder to get the Regular Plan with this resort.
My family is not used to expensive resorts, I was really planning on getting the cheapest room available. I will have to do more scenarios to see the difference in the cheaper rooms, with the meal plans!
You guys are such a great help. I don't know why Disney is so complicated. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I guess.

I see now that a $200 deposit is needed, thank you for that. I was assuming before that the full amount would be due immediately!!!!

But the page also says there is "no penalty" for canceling if before this date 30 days before my trip, so I hope the $200 is refundable if canceled before that date?

"Check Out—and modify or cancel without penalty by August 06, 2020... for cancellations made 30 days or more prior to Guest arrival: amounts paid, minus cancellation fees assessed by third party hotels or other suppliers, travel insurance premiums, and other amounts owed, will be refunded."
Yes, you may book a package with a $200 deposit. You will get all of it back if you cancel prior to 30 days before your trip.

I currently have 2 trips booked 2 weeks apart. Once our school board decides when the kids are going back to school I will cancel 1 of them and the $200 deposit fir that trip will be refunded to my credit card.

I do this often when I’m unsure of our actual travel dates.

Looks like Port Orleans at $4,300 was actually just the Quick Service plan, it's a $500 adder to get the Regular Plan with this resort.
My family is not used to expensive resorts, I was really planning on getting the cheapest room available. I will have to do more scenarios to see the difference in the cheaper rooms, with the meal plans!
You guys are such a great help. I don't know why Disney is so complicated. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I guess.
If you are looking for the least expensive room, check the value resorts (All Stars and Pop. AoA n/a for free dining unless you pay for a suite.)

Our family uses the room to sleep so I cannot justify the price of a moderate or deluxe resort. Besides, we love Pop!!

The key to getting the best value for fd is to book a standard room at a value resort and not upgrade to the regular dining plan. You can take that $500 in savings and use that money on a couple of TS meals if you wish. It depends on how you like to tour. Some people like to relax each day with a TS meal, while others don’t like to be tied down to ADR’s.

It’s fun to book character buffets and order expensive meals without a care because you’re on the dining plan, but the downside to it is, you end up paying a fortune in tips.

Any hints on a FD release for Nov/Dec? I used to know where to look, who to follow but I’ve not had to do this while FD thing in a while. I remember in years past we’d have some pretty strong hints leading up until it dropped.

Any hints on a FD release for Nov/Dec? I used to know where to look, who to follow but I’ve not had to do this while FD thing in a while. I remember in years past we’d have some pretty strong hints leading up until it dropped.
I don’t know of anyone who knows, but so far fd this year, seems to be following the same release pattern as last year. Last year additional fd for later months became available July 16th.

The only difference this year is that the booking window for fd was only two weeks, where as last year the booking window was over a month.

We have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and at All Star Music in the past on the dining plan. Both were great. When we stayed at All Star Music we did pay the difference to upgrade to the regular dining plan. This trip we only slept at the resort and were in the parks all day so we didn't mind having a smaller room or not having a water slide at the pool. The trip that we stayed at Riverside we took breaks in the middle of the day. We went back to the resort around lunch time and go swim and rest until about dinner time. Having the pool with a slide was a big plus for us.

We always do cheapest way available especially at Disney because we’re never in our rooms.......Alll Stars value resorts are cheapest.....usually Music and Sports and Movies are cheapest then pop century usually is a little bit more(seems like they are starting to get more and more expensive though) followed by the art of an animation resort

We always do cheapest way available especially at Disney because we’re never in our rooms.......Alll Stars value resorts are cheapest.....usually Music and Sports and Movies are cheapest then pop century usually is a little bit more(seems like they are starting to get more and more expensive though) followed by the art of an animation resort

On average in 2020 Art of Animation standard rooms are $80/night more than the All-Stars, and Pop $40/night more than the All-Stars.

Among the All-Stars, all Movies rooms have been refurbed and have queen beds and coffeemakers. Music is in refurb, and may have many--but perhaps not all--rooms done by the FD dates, otherwise you'll get full beds and no coffeemakers. Sports will likely start the refurb after Music is complete.

2019 was a weird year because of Star Wars and the impact (or lack thereof) that it had, so all their discounts, FD, and even party ticket drops were crazy early. I am hoping/guessing that Disney follows 2018 and 2017 drops and releases FD around April 24th for August - December. Room discounts for late fall/winter weren't released till June 26th. But I have no inside info so my guess is just a guess!

I'm in a very similar boat to you...

We've done Disneyland several times (family in CA) but never WDW. At DL, I pack PB&Js and snacks, and then we may eat one meal, likely QS, or an occasional TS.

For my comparison, even doing the above style of eating costs me money. So I compare the cost of groceries + some park eating + a discounted room (20% maybe?) + tickets to the cost of the Free dining package. There are 4 of us: 3 adults and a child. We'll likely want to do one specialty dinner (Fantasmic, I think), and we'll do one or two more TS meals. The free dining plan promo worked out to be a good option for us. I'm excited to live it up in the parks, since we'll probably do WDW once and call it done.

The next consideration was which dining plan was worth it. Since we we would like a couple of table service meals and a specialty dinner, the regular dining plan makes the most sense. With the current availability options, the cheapest rates for a week in Aug/Sept are $4000-$4200 for moderates. Upgrading to the regular dining plan is another $500, bringing them up to $4500-$4700.

AKL was available with the regular dining plan included, since it's deluxe, for $5363, so I went with it for now. If All Stars or Pop become available, we might downgrade accommodations to save $1500-$2000. But for $500, I decided that AKL was worth the premium. I like that it has some of our bucket list dining options nearby (Sanaa, Boma).

I had us at AoA for a bit, but that was actually more expensive at $6000. Having separate rooms and more space and the Skyliner are all nice things, but our kids usually fall into bed without protest at Disney, and we could have a brass band in the room, and it wouldn't disturb them. If we're messing around on our phones in the same room while they snooze, it shouldn't be a big deal. So everybody in the same room will be fine. The kitchenette won't be needed really, since Dining Plan. And AKL has animals! Fun!

Anyway... something to think about: upgrading from QS to a regular dining plan may bring a moderate resort price close to a Deluxe Resort rate.

Anyone else ready for this promo to end so they can stop obsessively looking and considering changing their Resort?! Lol We booked POFQ day 1 (really wanted CBR-but only pirate rooms are available). Since then I have considered BC and now today Poly since a standard “cheap” room (only $1400 more 🤪) became available! I talked myself out of BC because I want to splurge and stay there next year for my 40th. DH couldn’t care less and says to do whatever but I just can’t imagine spending another $1400 for only a 4n trip....although Poly looks so good and I haven’t been there since I was 5! Ugh! First world Disney problems! Haha what should I do?! We will be there LD weekend and it coincides with DS 9thbirthday. Do we splurge for him?!

Anyone else ready for this promo to end so they can stop obsessively looking and considering changing their Resort?! Lol We booked POFQ day 1 (really wanted CBR-but only pirate rooms are available). Since then I have considered BC and now today Poly since a standard “cheap” room (only $1400 more 🤪) became available! I talked myself out of BC because I want to splurge and stay there next year for my 40th. DH couldn’t care less and says to do whatever but I just can’t imagine spending another $1400 for only a 4n trip....although Poly looks so good and I haven’t been there since I was 5! Ugh! First world Disney problems! Haha what should I do?! We will be there LD weekend and it coincides with DS 9thbirthday. Do we splurge for him?!

Yes and no. I will be glad that I won't have to constantly check, but I really wish I was able to get my entire trip at one hotel. Looks like I will be doing a split stay at this point, with only part of my trip on the dining plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!