OFFICIAL 2020 Free Dining WATCH Thread - FREE DINING No Longer Available. First Post Updated with Details

Anyone else ready for this promo to end so they can stop obsessively looking and considering changing their Resort?! Lol We booked POFQ day 1 (really wanted CBR-but only pirate rooms are available). Since then I have considered BC and now today Poly since a standard “cheap” room (only $1400 more 🤪) became available! I talked myself out of BC because I want to splurge and stay there next year for my 40th. DH couldn’t care less and says to do whatever but I just can’t imagine spending another $1400 for only a 4n trip....although Poly looks so good and I haven’t been there since I was 5! Ugh! First world Disney problems! Haha what should I do?! We will be there LD weekend and it coincides with DS 9thbirthday. Do we splurge for him?!
I really love the Poly, but I wouldn’t spend an extra $350 per night over POFQ. We like to add on the Poly for 3 or 4 nights at the beginning or end of our fd stay If we can get a standard room at a decent room discount but when we do that, we make a point of hanging around and enjoying the resort instead of spending time at the parks. If you’re mostly going to be on the go, I‘d save the money.

And since you mentioned your obsession, I decided to check my dates. I couldn’t believe how many resorts and room categories were still available under the promo.

I feel like I'm kind of honing in.
For the week of Labor Day, my lowest cost with no dining plan will run $3,200. At All-Star Movies.
To get the "Free" QS plan, I have to go with Port Orleans for $4,375. So the "Free" QS plan really costs me $1,175. For 7 days that is $167 per day for food.

Upgrading to the regular DP gives me $4,885 which for 7 days is $238 per day for food (family of 4).

Have to book something tonight. Going cross eyed from punching in various dates.

Ended up with booking Animal Kingdom Lodge for $5,300 including standard meal plan. The Port Orleans sold out within the last couple hours for my dates. I'm going to keep shopping actively over the next several weeks knowing I at least have something to fall back on if no better deal comes along. More than I wanted to pay, but for what might be the "once this lifetime" trip with my family of 4, I don't feel it's stretching too much.

Ended up with booking Animal Kingdom Lodge for $5,300 including standard meal plan. The Port Orleans sold out within the last couple hours for my dates. I'm going to keep shopping actively over the next several weeks knowing I at least have something to fall back on if no better deal comes along. More than I wanted to pay, but for what might be the "once this lifetime" trip with my family of 4, I don't feel it's stretching too much.

Sounds like we're be overlapping! Maybe we'll run into you at the pool. :)

AKL does really seem like the best option right now. Enjoy your 7 months of anticipation! :D

I feel like I'm kind of honing in.
For the week of Labor Day, my lowest cost with no dining plan will run $3,200. At All-Star Movies.
To get the "Free" QS plan, I have to go with Port Orleans for $4,375. So the "Free" QS plan really costs me $1,175. For 7 days that is $167 per day for food.

Upgrading to the regular DP gives me $4,885 which for 7 days is $238 per day for food (family of 4).

Have to book something tonight. Going cross eyed from punching in various dates.
I think a lot depends on how you eat. We go every year with FD because I love to gorge myself at Disney. We have always gotten the DDP and eaten very well (back when they used to give it at Mods it was awesome!) When we went in 2017 and stayed at WL for 5n (family of 4-2 adults, 2kids) I saved every single receipt. Our TS meals were Ohana, Whispering Canyon, T-Rex, Liberty Tree and Chef Mickeys. We would have spent $1300 on food (snacks, QS, TS, drink cups). If I was not on the DDP I would have never eaten like that, it was totally excessive but that’s what I love about Disney! I kind of use this as my guide when determining what we book. I also factor in the rise in price of the DDP and cost of food.

Just a reminder that today is the final day to book the current Free Dining offer!

It was a very short booking window this year And VERY limited dates.

Last night I cancelled a FD booking at Pop June 28-July 4th. Bot aure its still avaialable, but if anyone wants it and wasnt able to get before, its worth a try

Like others have said it *really* depends on how you are gonna eat at Disney. I have two under five, and we like the character meals, which are pricey. Another thing that I'm not seeing mentioned too much here is that we save a lot of our snacks for the festivals (food and wine in September/end of August). That really jacks up their value from the ~$4 value they give it at disney to ~$6+ (we went to the art festival last year with psd [wound up being the same price as free dining overall for us, didn't offer it this year of course] and most of those festival freats were more like $8+)

Anyways I saved all of our receipts and added everything up and the "added" cost of getting the dining plan was just the upgrade to parkhoppers plus we upgraded to the ddp and we would have spent about$1400 of the food we got, which was something like $800 saved.

Of course, if we weren't on the dining plan we wouldn't have done all of the character meals, probably would have eaten less at the festival etc, but we really enjoyed being able to just eat, without worrying about a price, and the all inclusive part was amazing. We paid for ours over the course of the year and had no sticker shock when we did a Disney vacation.

It feels unfair that I probably *won't* be keeping my September 1-7 fd at pop, but I'm certainly not cancelling until some fd for later dates pops up. But by the time I cancel this deal will be gone. Disney is doing everyone dirty this year!

I think that FD is going to be a better vacation for me as the dad, as the cash register. I know that I will fret about every menu choice if I am paying a la carte, however, by paying up front, I think it will give me more relaxation to enjoy the meals and not fret about it.

I think that FD is going to be a better vacation for me as the dad, as the cash register. I know that I will fret about every menu choice if I am paying a la carte, however, by paying up front, I think it will give me more relaxation to enjoy the meals and not fret about it.
This is 100% me too! I love that the dining plan offers me the ability to pay in advance (yes, even 'free dining' isn't 'free') and not concern myself with $$ each time we purchase something. Last trip we had FD but I tacked on a day at the beginning that didn't have a dining plan. That day I found myself stressing about every $ we spent on food and drinks. I know myself well and know that even if it costs me a little more to purchase a dining plan, it is worth it 100% not to stress each time we purchase something!

We live on a budget 365 days a year....except our Disney days!!

Exactly. I could not fathom doing say, California Grill Brunch out of pocket. After tax and tip for our family it's be $385 before we even add a cocktail. Nuts!

So many people dislike the Dining Plans, but they're great, especially if you can get "free dining." For us, it truly is free because no matter what we travel over 5 days, we buy hoppers, and we like appetizers, alcohol, and desserts (and the kids love character meals). We upgrade to Deluxe and it's a huge saver still.

Exactly. I could not fathom doing say, California Grill Brunch out of pocket. After tax and tip for our family it's be $385 before we even add a cocktail. Nuts!

So many people dislike the Dining Plans, but they're great, especially if you can get "free dining." For us, it truly is free because no matter what we travel over 5 days, we buy hoppers, and we like appetizers, alcohol, and desserts (and the kids love character meals). We upgrade to Deluxe and it's a huge saver still.
I’m thinking I might upgrade my DDP to deluxe if free dining opens up for my trip in late September. We have always done the DDP with or without the kids. We also get hoppers and like you, enjoy apps and some drinks. I’m weighing the deluxe plan or just paying oop for some signature dining, which I’ve always wanted to do but never done.

Does anyone have any insight on booking late ADR’s for signature dining? Late, like less then 180 days out, after free dining comes out. I wouldn’t be able to book regular and signature at 180 days.

I’m thinking I might upgrade my DDP to deluxe if free dining opens up for my trip in late September. We have always done the DDP with or without the kids. We also get hoppers and like you, enjoy apps and some drinks. I’m weighing the deluxe plan or just paying oop for some signature dining, which I’ve always wanted to do but never done.

Does anyone have any insight on booking late ADR’s for signature dining? Late, like less then 180 days out, after free dining comes out. I wouldn’t be able to book regular and signature at 180 days.
If you know your dates, why not book your ADR’s 180 days out?
You don’t need a resort booked to do that.

If you know your dates, why not book your ADR’s 180 days out?
You don’t need a resort booked to do that.
If I’m understanding the OP correctly, they would only reserve Signature dining locations if free dining comes out and they only need to pay the upgrade from the included free dining to the DXDP.

If FD does not become available they will get the DDP and not reserve signature locations therefore at 180 days they will be booking regular TS locations.

I am currently booked at POR with the DDP and yes, I’ll book one credit ADR’s at 180, only signature if fd comes out for my dates, if I do it all. The extra money and tips plus my need to make deluxe worth the money for me..... plus the time away from the parks with two meals per day. I mean, my wife and I like to eat, but the heat in September when we’ve never been. I’m looking forward to snacking at food and wine too. I’m talking myself out of deluxe every time I try to talk myself into it lol.

I think it depends on the restaurant. Like California Grill, Le Cellier, and Narcoossee’s always seem to book right at 180 days (even earlier for Cali grill brunch). But the Boathouse and Paddlefish always seems to have availability as an example.

I am currently booked at POR with the DDP and yes, I’ll book one credit ADR’s at 180, only signature if fd comes out for my dates, if I do it all. The extra money and tips plus my need to make deluxe worth the money for me..... plus the time away from the parks with two meals per day. I mean, my wife and I like to eat, but the heat in September when we’ve never been. I’m looking forward to snacking at food and wine too. I’m talking myself out of deluxe every time I try to talk myself into it lol.
I would be booking a combination of signature and regular TS at 180 days, especially at hard to get signatures like CG.

Can you book two restaurants in the same time block? Then cancel one when I decide? Thanks for the advice, I agree that to get CG etc, I’d need to try at 180 days.

Can you book two restaurants in the same time block? Then cancel one when I decide? Thanks for the advice, I agree that to get CG etc, I’d need to try at 180 days.

You can book them approximately 45 minutes apart without a problem.

When you go to book the second reservation, it will tell you that you already have a reservation booked if you’re too close to your first one and at that point you can choose to cancel the first one if you wish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts