Official 2020 HHN Thread - 30 Years of Scares

We are so hoping HHN 30 runs as planned this year! We (DD and I) attended for the first time 3 years ago (she was 11 - it was her choice as she loves scary movies). We did The Shining House and then she asked to take a break from the houses and go through the scare zones and we never got into another house. The next year, age 12, she was more brave and we went through 1/2 the houses but she was always following/hiding behind me. Last year, she was so proud of herself that we got through every house with her in the lead - she LOVED the US and Yeti houses! We are really looking forward to this year in hoping we can experience some re-occurring themes we may have missed in the past.

I saw an updated rumored map which seems to make more sense than the previously posted map since it shows Billie Eilish music in the Monsters the Bride house instead of a full house themed to her. DD is REALLY excited about this one!

Can't Wait! Dh and I will be there for opening night and second night - Super Excited about it.

FYI - you CAN have the B1G1 Night tickets added to a vacation package but you will have to call (or have your TA Call for you) I learned this on Sunday calling in for a client

I'm going to be that person asking questions that probably have obvious answers, but here goes. We are doing a quick Friday through Monday trip over Columbus weekend. We are staying at WDW and were planning on Mickey's Halloween party on Friday night, Epcot Food and Wine on Saturday, and then HHN on Sunday night. We have never been to Universal.

I gather some of Universal attractions are open during HHN? What time can you get into HHN? And there is some sort of paid fast pass you can use at HHN?

I originally was thinking we would spend all day Sunday at Universal. I realize we wouldn't hit everything, but thought maybe at least get the highlights. Now I'm seeing BOGO on HHN tix, which is making me rethink things. Only problem is, the Sunday we were planning on going is a black out date so we would have to switch to Friday and Saturday night, and give up the Mickey party.

Our group is DH and I, and four college-aged kids. I searched though the 2019 thread, but didn't see obvious answers to my questions (quite sure I'm just not looking in the right place!).

Can't Wait! Dh and I will be there for opening night and second night - Super Excited about it.

FYI - you CAN have the B1G1 Night tickets added to a vacation package but you will have to call (or have your TA Call for you) I learned this on Sunday calling in for a client
Are you a travel agent?
Calling UO for a client?

I'm going to be that person asking questions that probably have obvious answers, but here goes. We are doing a quick Friday through Monday trip over Columbus weekend. We are staying at WDW and were planning on Mickey's Halloween party on Friday night, Epcot Food and Wine on Saturday, and then HHN on Sunday night. We have never been to Universal.

I gather some of Universal attractions are open during HHN? What time can you get into HHN? And there is some sort of paid fast pass you can use at HHN?

I originally was thinking we would spend all day Sunday at Universal. I realize we wouldn't hit everything, but thought maybe at least get the highlights. Now I'm seeing BOGO on HHN tix, which is making me rethink things. Only problem is, the Sunday we were planning on going is a black out date so we would have to switch to Friday and Saturday night, and give up the Mickey party.

Our group is DH and I, and four college-aged kids. I searched though the 2019 thread, but didn't see obvious answers to my questions (quite sure I'm just not looking in the right place!).
Past years, many came in prior to do rides in the park as not all are opened during hhn.

Some threads last year had a lot of talk about hitting rides early and devoting the hhn evening to doing houses .

UO had a ticket anyone could purchase for coming to the park early. It had specific time it was valid.

I usually avoid Saturday night hhn due to the crowds.
Weekends brings in more people than the weekdays for hhn.

When all the hhn info has been released, you will see what rides will be opened and house locations.

Your group will have a great time!

After the first year, we learned we can't do all of HHN in one night so we purchased the BOGO tickets to ensure we saw all the houses. Last year, we went in September and found the Sept pass was a better deal as we could attend 3 nights for just over the price of 1. As we get closer (and Universal knows when it is opening) I expect there will be more ticket offers available.

If you are already in the park before in closes at 5 pm, you can stay in the park in one of the holding corrals to be the first into select houses. Most line up for the big names houses (Ghostbusters and Us last year), but if you chose a corral back by the Simpsons, you can usually hit multiple houses around the back of the park before the front gates open at 6:30. If you don't plan to visit the park during the day, they sell a Stay-and-Scream ticket ($25 last year) which allows you into the park at 3 pm so you have 2 hours to ride the rides which won't be open during HHN then join a corral. Those in corrals usually get walked to the houses around 6 pm before the front gates open to non-day guests (so totally worth the $25 IMHO).

They do sell Express Passes for HHN but there are many options. There is an option for once per house and another for unlimited. The price varies per day but can end up costing more than the event ticket itself. Unfortunately, there is not a BOGO on HHN Express Pass, but there is an after 10 pm pass which saved us about $50 pp last year. These are not always available though so you may be taking your chances.

My son, no judgement, was 10 when we went last year for our first time. He is a thrill seeker kid and loves the horror genre. My daughter is 9 and gets scared if she walks past us watching a horror movie so wouldn’t think about taking her.

We loved everything and loved most of the houses. I think Six Flags did better on the scare zones though, those could be scarier for sure at HHN. I suggest for anyone attending to try two nights because one night I thought the clown house was terrible, but the next night we hit it right and loved it. We want to go every year now!
It is exhausting though as we hit every house both nights and that is some intense walking. I might get a step tracker this year because I am curious on how much we walked. Fingers crosses it happens bc we are going!

My son, no judgement, was 10 when we went last year for our first time. He is a thrill seeker kid and loves the horror genre. My daughter is 9 and gets scared if she walks past us watching a horror movie so wouldn’t think about taking her.

We loved everything and loved most of the houses. I think Six Flags did better on the scare zones though, those could be scarier for sure at HHN.
My daughter sounds like your son and has definitely gotten braver every year. After our first HHN, it has become an annual tradition. Last year we had to add a weekend trip to Orlando (thank you SW Companion Pass!) just for HHN since our Fall Break plans took us on a Disney Cruise out of NYC instead of WDW. Of course, now she wants to experience HHN Hollywood as well!

Last year's Scare Zones were pretty weak in my opinion. The previous years were definitely MUCH better! Always enjoy interacting with whoever has the chainsaws! :)

After the first year, we learned we can't do all of HHN in one night so we purchased the BOGO tickets to ensure we saw all the houses. Last year, we went in September and found the Sept pass was a better deal as we could attend 3 nights for just over the price of 1. As we get closer (and Universal knows when it is opening) I expect there will be more ticket offers available.

If you are already in the park before in closes at 5 pm, you can stay in the park in one of the holding corrals to be the first into select houses. Most line up for the big names houses (Ghostbusters and Us last year), but if you chose a corral back by the Simpsons, you can usually hit multiple houses around the back of the park before the front gates open at 6:30. If you don't plan to visit the park during the day, they sell a Stay-and-Scream ticket ($25 last year) which allows you into the park at 3 pm so you have 2 hours to ride the rides which won't be open during HHN then join a corral. Those in corrals usually get walked to the houses around 6 pm before the front gates open to non-day guests (so totally worth the $25 IMHO).

They do sell Express Passes for HHN but there are many options. There is an option for once per house and another for unlimited. The price varies per day but can end up costing more than the event ticket itself. Unfortunately, there is not a BOGO on HHN Express Pass, but there is an after 10 pm pass which saved us about $50 pp last year. These are not always available though so you may be taking your chances.
Can I ask about the post 10pm pass - how much was it and how do you enquire about it (if available on the night)?

Can I ask about the post 10pm pass - how much was it and how do you enquire about it (if available on the night)?
There are many kiosks setup around the park where you can purchase the express pass. There’s an Express Pass sign but no pricing or anything posted. You can purchase the full night pass ($125 pp on the night we went) or the discounted pass later in the night. I don’t know if the price fluctuates depending on how many full night passes are sold. We paid $70 pp on the night we purchased.

If you only have one night at HHN, it’s worth it to see all the houses.

There are many kiosks setup around the park where you can purchase the express pass. There’s an Express Pass sign but no pricing or anything posted. You can purchase the full night pass ($125 pp on the night we went) or the discounted pass later in the night. I don’t know if the price fluctuates depending on how many full night passes are sold. We paid $70 pp on the night we purchased.

If you only have one night at HHN, it’s worth it to see all the houses.

Keep in mind availability of either product is not guaranteed. There were some nights last year where the regular express sold out so the 10pm wasnt even offered.

We're definitely looking forward to (hopefully!) going to our 9th HHN (3rd with our kid). Already booked airfare and hotel. I actually rebooked the hotel once already when price dropped $200 for our stay. I'll rebook again if rates drop again (not counting on APH rates for our time but you never know what might happen this year). With the garbage dump 2020 has been so far (local tornado destruction, the virus, etc) we really are looking forward to some fun. We always get Frequent Fear + Express and go three nights. Hopefully, those will be offered this year, but of course everything is uncertain at the moment.

But anyway, some fun... Hanging out in the stay and scream anticipating the gates opening... Rushing to the first house... Talking about the house on the way to the next house, and the next... Taking in the scare zones... Taking a break in Daigon Alley for low crowds and a Gringott's ride and ice cream... More houses... Watching a show or two... Riding the Mummy every time we are near it... Admiring the makeup, effects, sets, and great interactions from the talented scare actors... After an exhausting night, the relaxing water taxi ride back to the hotel... Then look forward to doing it again a second and third night. People I know question my priorities of vacation time and money, but this is truly my happy event. Here's to hoping to we all get to enter the fog this fall!

. If you don't plan to visit the park during the day, they sell a Stay-and-Scream ticket ($25 last year) which allows you into the park at 3 pm so you have 2 hours to ride the rides which won't be open during HHN then join a corral. Those in corrals usually get walked to the houses around 6 pm before the front gates open to non-day guests (so totally worth the $25 IMHO).
The stay & scream areas near Finnegans were wildly more crowded last year the dates I attended. On multiple nights, when speaking to those we were literally hip to hip in that holding area, it appeared that majority of them had purchased this tix. The Simpsons area had no such issues the nights we waited there.

Watched two different people pass out. Medics had difficult time winding thru the crowd to treat, then remove them. Unwise to pack people in so tightly without any sort of staff monitored crowd control.

IMO either employ a body count :) when entering the stay & scream area or use snaking guide ropes you see in attraction queues. U is in the business to make $. However, especially this year, they may want to rethink their S&S area procedure.

We loved everything and loved most of the houses. I think Six Flags did better on the scare zones though, those could be scarier for sure at HHN. I suggest for anyone attending to try two nights because one night I thought the clown house was terrible, but the next night we hit it right and loved it. We want to go every year now!
It is exhausting though as we hit every house both nights and that is some intense walking. I might get a step tracker this year because I am curious on how much we walked. Fingers crosses it happens bc we are going!
It strikes me that the scares zones have been toned down over the years to appeal to a broader audience...even moreso once Stranger Things brought in the tweens.

The stay & scream areas near Finnegans were wildly more crowded last year the dates I attended. On multiple nights, when speaking to those we were literally hip to hip in that holding area, it appeared that majority of them had purchased this tix. The Simpsons area had no such issues the nights we waited there.

Watched two different people pass out. Medics had difficult time winding thru the crowd to treat, then remove them. Unwise to pack people in so tightly without any sort of staff monitored crowd control.

IMO either employ a body count :) when entering the stay & scream area or use snaking guide ropes you see in attraction queues. U is in the business to make $. However, especially this year, they may want to rethink their S&S area procedure.
I totally agree they’ll need to revise their process. Luckily, we went early in the season last year and had plenty of room to spread out even on a Saturday.

I am more excited than anyone for the 30th, but I’m also bracing myself for disappointment. I just don’t think it’s realistic for them to run the event this year in a safe manner that would make them enough money and do the anniversary justice.

What do people think of making this year HHN 29.5? A smaller event that was less expensive with only a few specially designed houses? Or maybe resurrecting the Ghostbusters or Universal Monsters house from last year as permanent fixtures when the park reopens? Both would be fairly easy to social distance.

That way there’d at least be something and they could promote next year.

Just trying to think of any and all creative solutions.

I totally agree they’ll need to revise their process. Luckily, we went early in the season last year and had plenty of room to spread out even on a Saturday.
Our group moved a week back from Columbus Day weekend &, while a bit better, still busy.

If anything I’m surprised they don’t offer a for-fee (not as expensive as the public VIP tours) that would grant separate holding area & one hour early access.

smaller event that was less expensive with only a few specially designed houses? Or maybe resurrecting the Ghostbusters or Universal Monsters house from last year as permanent fixtures when the park reopens? Both would be fairly easy to social distance.

Interesting idea, haven’t thought of it. If a lesser/lite version, would have to then be agreeable to refunding the BOGO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!