"Official" 2020 MVMCP (Cancelled) Special holiday festivities start Nov 6th new info starts in Page 12

I was probably canceling anyway for this December but this news just makes it a little easier. Expense along with risk is a serious factor for us.

I know this holiday modification is not at the level we have come to expect from Disney. But I think it is fabulous that they are decorating and doing what they can to bring Christmas magic!!! I live in CA, and Disneyland still isn't open. I am a Dland AP and haven't been since closing date in March. We still can't eat inside a restaurant, and masks are mandatory everywhere pretty much. We booked a trip to the World for Thanksgiving week, and when I finally walk on Main Street with Christmas decorations, I think I will sob. Thank you Disney for bringing holiday magic as best as you can!

Are the resorts open to outside guests yet (those not staying there) and if not, I wonder if they will open them up to tour the decorations and trees during the holidays?
You can visit resorts now and park there If you have a dining reservation or if you don't you can bus from DS

I wondered if there as any plan to replace the castle lights this year even before COVID reared it’s ugly head. As I understand it, the strings of lights were customized to blend with the building itself, almost camouflaging them in the daylight. With the new castle colours, existing light strings would no longer match. They will certainly be missed, be it for this year or longer!

For us, there really is no reason to plan a special trip given the holiday offering cuts. No CP, no holiday parade, but the real killer is the castle lights. That was one of the most magical things Disney has developed in the past decade. Maybe they need to repaint them all with the new castle colors, maybe they couldn’t manage the installation given the other castle changes, maybe it’s all $$$. I don’t buy anything about crowds congregating. Just skip the show and flip the damn switch.
I’m still not over the Osbourne lights ..........

mac_tlc

I’m looking forward to the projection lights this year - the ones on the video looked amazing, and I’ve loved the ones at DHS in previous years. When we booked our trip last January, we were looking forward to enjoying CP with our family and are disappointed we won’t get to do that. But no matter what, it will be a special trip!

My apologies, but I cannot find a thread related to December travel....normally I can find it, like the "Official September 2020" group, etc. Any help is appreciated

I know this holiday modification is not at the level we have come to expect from Disney. But I think it is fabulous that they are decorating and doing what they can to bring Christmas magic!!! I live in CA, and Disneyland still isn't open. I am a Dland AP and haven't been since closing date in March. We still can't eat inside a restaurant, and masks are mandatory everywhere pretty much. We booked a trip to the World for Thanksgiving week, and when I finally walk on Main Street with Christmas decorations, I think I will sob. Thank you Disney for bringing holiday magic as best as you can!
I'll be there Thanksgiving week too!!! I will be sobbing on Main Street with you!!! LOL Can't wait!!!

No Christmas party, no snow, no Castle Lights, no Gingerbread houses at resorts....at what point does this not become about COVID and limiting crowds and about Disney becoming extremely cheap in everything that they do. Yes, precautions need to be taken, but its starting not to be about precautions. It's Disney beginning to use this as an excuse to cut every dollar imaginable. Its so sad....I love this place like home and it's turning into a penny pinching monster.
For us, there really is no reason to plan a special trip given the holiday offering cuts. No CP, no holiday parade, but the real killer is the castle lights. That was one of the most magical things Disney has developed in the past decade. Maybe they need to repaint them all with the new castle colors, maybe they couldn’t manage the installation given the other castle changes, maybe it’s all $$$. I don’t buy anything about crowds congregating. Just skip the show and flip the damn switch.
I’m still not over the Osbourne lights ..........

mac_tlc

I am happy to learn of the many holiday offerings and while also disappointing since its our first holiday trip, it is happening in the midst of a global pandemic. So I am happy to head to FL from cold MN at Thanksgiving and miss my brothers annual attempt to ruin Thanksgiving for my family and my parents!

I think people are missing the point here. Think about how they keep CAST MEMBERS SAFE when trying to construct the gingerbread houses and hang the lights. I think it would be very difficult to build the Grand Floridian Gingerbread House with people keeping physically distanced and get it done in a timely fashion. Its big, but not that big! Similarly with hanging the lights. Of course Disney has to keep guests safe while viewing/experiencing AND some of the normal things are likely impossible to readily do without people being in close proximity for hours - masked and indoors in the case of the houses. Masked and in multiple Cherry picker buckets in the case of the castle. Whilee they use many of the cherry pickers, I doubt they have had one person per bucket in the past for this monumental task.

And keep in mind, while its different, EVERYTHING is different now and having these thoughtful attempts to create a special experience for the holidays is appreciated. I would venture many, if not most of us will be doing something different to protect our loved ones over the holidays as well. Be it how we prep for more compromised family, how big we gather, extra cleaning/sanitation, keeping more distance, food prep and sharing....

When the COVID dust settles we can see if Bob Paycheck continues the cost cutting measures and to what extent. Unfortunately it will be hard to know what all are driven by - the unprecedented losses or his own cheap tendencies. But I trust that Josh Damaro is helping guide and will continue to help guide Disney toward decisions that do not destroy the Guest and CM experience as best he can in their new fiscal environment. And expect that some things are bound to change and not return in their previous form. I am ok with that as long as Disney stays true to itself. I still miss Spectromagic and wish I saw Paint the Night... but I keep going and still love it!

I am happy to learn of the many holiday offerings and while also disappointing since its our first holiday trip, it is happening in the midst of a global pandemic. So I am happy to head to FL from cold MN at Thanksgiving
Same here! Also from MN, also our first holiday trip, and also leaving around Thanksgiving (11/28). Are you flying or driving?

Same here! Also from MN, also our first holiday trip, and also leaving around Thanksgiving (11/28). Are you flying or driving?

This must be the year for people from MN to take their first trips at Christmas. We go to Disney every other year - and I've somehow managed DCL in the years between despite the fact that my husband says Disney only every other year :P - but this is our very first trip at Christmas time. We are going at the beginning of December though so not over Thanksgiving, but still Christmas was what we want out of this trip anyways. I'm disappointed in the changes, but I understand. Being stuck in my house - working remotely since March - I welcome any kind of trip. And there seems to be some holiday magic still in the works. We will be flying and that is honestly what makes me most nervous.

This must be the year for people from MN to take their first trips at Christmas. We go to Disney every other year - and I've somehow managed DCL in the years between despite the fact that my husband says Disney only every other year :P - but this is our very first trip at Christmas time. We are going at the beginning of December though so not over Thanksgiving, but still Christmas was what we want out of this trip anyways. I'm disappointed in the changes, but I understand. Being stuck in my house - working remotely since March - I welcome any kind of trip. And there seems to be some holiday magic still in the works. We will be flying and that is honestly what makes me most nervous.
well, I am in TX and will be there the week after Thanksgiving, hopefully with my niece

I'm from MN also - Stillwater area - and have been to WDW many times at Christmas. I did originally have a trip booked for Nov 28 - Dec 5, but had to cancel and rebook (again) for end of April 2021 (1 year from our original booking!!), due to my traveling companion's work requirements (she's a health care worker and they have cancelled all vacations at her location).

If you haven't seen Disney at Christmas, you are really in for a wonderful and beautiful way to get into the Holiday spirit. Even without some of the events, there will be plenty to see and do. They really go all out at Christmas, and everywhere you look is gorgeously decorated.

Hope everyone, especially my fellow-Minnesotans, has a glorious trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!