Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

Weird question. I pre-registered through my TA for the half back in April and yesterday she told me she could add the Kessel Run.
Interesting. My TA said I would have to add virtual and Kessel later. Now I just talked to runDisney and somewhere along the lines, bad information got passed out.

runDisney will reach out to me via email or phone and let me know how to proceed in order to make sure that when I register for virtual, I can add Kessel to that since the ability to register for Rival Challenge and Kessel and virtual half can no longer happen. They did tell me to hold off on registering for the virtual for now.

I just hope that they figure this all out before Kessel Run sells out. Maybe I'm overly concerned about nothing. I'm not worried about the virtual race selling out, but I just don't want to see the Kessel Run sell out since the half could sell out between the anniversary year and Galaxy's Edge opening soon.

Last edited:
are you able to purchase any of the merch later? Or do you have to do it at registration?

I forgot today was signup today, bummed I'll be missing out on the MB

Not sure how it works with TAs but it sounds like someone screwed up. Feels like it would be hard to screw this up in that way though, the Run Disney site is pretty cut and dry as far as navigating which races you want to do, maybe the TAs bypass that setup and put you in the system manually?

The only other thing I can think of is that Disney is accidentally sending the same confirmation email to both types of challenge participants, but we can verify if that's the case if someone else here had signed up for the Half and Half.

It's a new process for TAs to book this time around, so basically any TA that can book you a room can book you a bib these days versus one TA per agency being able to book bibs.

TAs have to call everything in for things like this, so all it takes is either a TA that isn't versed on RunDisney OR a call center representative that isn't versed in RunDisney and issues like this happen.

It should be a pretty easy fix, especially since nothing appears to be sold out and TAs can still sell bibs even though races are sold out through general registration (see: Wine & Dine).

We booked through Disney Travel last week to secure spots. I wasn't sure how popular the races for next year were going to be because of Galaxy's Edge/5th Anniversary so I didn't want to take a chance. I was shocked that my wife and I both received our links to complete registration a few minutes after registration opened yesterday. From what I was told by the Cast Member and read online, we weren't expecting them until today at some point. I was very excited to get it done yesterday as I was able to get one of the MagicBands. This is going to be our first runDisney event and it's been great so far.

Update/recap to my earlier post: I may have contributed to making a mess of my registration. Pre-booked with my TA and it turns out that runDisney sent me the wrong link so I'm registered for both the Kessel and Rival Challenge (only want/paid for the Kessel challenge/half marathon, running the 10k is not an option for travel purposes). RD sent me the correct link this morning, but since I finished registration on the wrong link yesterday, I can't be registered for the same thing twice. Note to self: when you see something that doesn't look right, call before you click through everything!

Usually I'm a pretty easy client for my TA, I just email the dates, the resort, and like to do the FP and ADR planning myself. I'm making her work for this trip. Also, this is a great example of why it's good to use a TA.

Very curious about what they do with the medals next year. They could continue with the rival theme but I'm wondering, especially since Wine and Dine leaned a bit into an Epcot theme, if they try to integrate Galaxy's Edge somehow, would be a neat change from the usual.

runDisney will reach out to me via email or phone and let me know how to proceed in order to make sure that when I register for virtual, I can add Kessel to that since the ability to register for Rival Challenge and Kessel and virtual half can no longer happen. They did tell me to hold off on registering for the virtual for now.
So runDisney reached out to my travel agent and I got an email from her today. They're in the process of fixing my registration. Since I want to add Kessel/virtual to the Rival Run Challenge, hopefully it will go smoothly since it should only be adding the virtual and Kessel. If not I'll contact my TA or runDisney. Either way I'm just waiting the new link now.

D sent me the correct link this morning, but since I finished registration on the wrong link yesterday, I can't be registered for the same thing twice. Note to self: when you see something that doesn't look right, call before you click through everything!
That's what the rep told me yesterday. Hopefully this will go through properly for both of us.

Very curious about what they do with the medals next year. They could continue with the rival theme but I'm wondering, especially since Wine and Dine leaned a bit into an Epcot theme, if they try to integrate Galaxy's Edge somehow, would be a neat change from the usual.
I love this idea. I think they can keep the rival theme and incorporate Galaxy's Edge into it. There are plenty of both Resistance and First Order characters wandering Galaxy's Edge and Chewbacca (virtual) and the Millennium Falcon (Kessel Run) are already spoken for as medals for 2020. I could also see them doing ships for the medals since I think the X-Wing medals from 2016 Light Side 10K and the TIE Fighter medals from the 2016 Dark Side 10K were well received.

Signed up yesterday for my first ever runDisney event, and also my first ever 5K!
Yea! Strangely enough, my first ever 5K was the 2018 Dark Side 5K. I say strangely because by the time I ran that 5K, I had already run 8 half marathons, 4 10Ks, and 4 runDisney 10K/Half challenges.

are there any discounts for being an AP?
There are merchandise discounts at the Expo. However, any items purchased before the Expo do not receive the AP discount. The advantage of prepurchasing means that the item will not sell out. Waiting for the Expo can result in items being sold out especially if you cannot make it to the Expo until later.

all distances are still showing open . I didnt have to stay up past midnight here in Australia to sign up the other night

this will be my second SW run I don't think so I did register a day earlier I'm not sure how early it opens for ap.
A limited number of AP/DVC presale spots open up a few days before general registration no discounts only discounts are on merchandise physically at expo

A limited number of AP/DVC presale spots open up a few days before general registration no discounts only discounts are on merchandise physically at expo
yep, I remember waiting in a long long long line for over 30 minutes to get a passholder discount on merchandise does anyone know a good time to go? I guess for the limited magic bands there is no discount.

yep, I remember waiting in a long long long line for over 30 minutes to get a passholder discount on merchandise does anyone know a good time to go? I guess for the limited magic bands there is no discount.

I would expect the AP discount to apply to the Magi bands too. We go either late morning or early afternoon and really haven’t experienced lines.

Discounts usually apply to LE magicbands, but the limited ones for this race are all sold out. They most likely won't have any at the race (they only made 1,000 I believe)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!