Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

I understand the policy, but what do they define as emergency? In my case, I'm coming from the west coast and cannot leave until Thursday the 16th. That makes the 5K very, very difficult if not impossible with bib pickup only at the Expo. All that said, I understand why bib pickup is only available at the Expo. It just means for me that I have to skip the 5K since I cannot make the timing work.

Well look at it this way: you're paying several hundred for a plane ticket, a couple hundred for the other races you want to do, a few hundred a night for hotel, a few hundred for park admission while you're there, and if they don't let you pick up your bib day-of then you've lost less than a hundred for the 5K. Given all the other expenses it's probably worth the risk?

I don’t think it will either (but if they announce a post party in GE I may be tempted to A) sign up despite it being a solo trip and B) signing up for my first half
That would be highly intriguing to me especially if they somehow figure out a way to make the lines shorter, but I'm not sure what the capacity for the entire land is.

Given all the other expenses it's probably worth the risk?
I've looked at it that way, but I also see an argument that given all the other costs I'm incurring for this trip, do I really want to spend the money on an experience that I might not even get.

I'll caution against making any assumptions about running through GE - it would be great if we do, but we've seen nothing to indicate that will actually happen! I think we'll have a better feel for whether it's possible after the EEMHs conclude in Nov.: IF they stop the EEMHs, that is. I think it's still likely DHS will be open at least as early as 8am by next April, though, which would likely make running a race through it impossible.

I personally don't think it will go through GE, but I am frequently wrong.
I don't think they have much of a choice on this, they kinda have to set it up to go through GE right? Otherwise you'll probably have a bunch of peeved runners. But I'm definitely curious about the logistics.

I don't think they have much of a choice on this, they kinda have to set it up to go through GE right? Otherwise you'll probably have a bunch of peeved runners. But I'm definitely curious about the logistics.
A couple peeved runners versus thousands of thousands of park guests.

They might, but we don't even know when phase 2 will open. It might be too close to phase 2s opening to have the capacity to get runners in.

I just don't think it will happen! We will see!

I guess it all depends on whether or not all of the runners will be through when the park opens. I don't think they can manage regular GE crowds and the race crowd at the same time. I'm planning on spending pretty much all of my non race time at GE, so I won't be too disappointed.

A couple peeved runners versus thousands of thousands of park guests.

They might, but we don't even know when phase 2 will open. It might be too close to phase 2s opening to have the capacity to get runners in.

I just don't think it will happen! We will see!
I dunno I know I'm just one person but more than 10,000 people will be doing this and a lot of them will probably be coming with the expectation that they'll get to run through GE. It's a Star Wars race! I would think that you'd do everything possible to make it work because otherwise it just looks weird. My first thought would be starting the race at Hollywood Studios but someone else prob knows if they're capable of doing that.

I'm joining in! My husband (not a runner) mentioned that he was willing to train and do the 10k with me for the Star Wars race. Now I just have to decide if I also want to do the half or not. I did the Dark Side half in 2017 and really enjoyed it. But I may just want to concentrate more on park time next year, especially with Galaxy's Edge. We're both big Star Wars nerds and super excited about seeing it.

I dunno I know I'm just one person but more than 10,000 people will be doing this and a lot of them will probably be coming with the expectation that they'll get to run through GE. It's a Star Wars race! I would think that you'd do everything possible to make it work because otherwise it just looks weird. My first thought would be starting the race at Hollywood Studios but someone else prob knows if they're capable of doing that.
It hasn't ever gone through the SW area of DHS, so if that was an expectation folks had, it hasn't been met yet. Disney will always do what works best for its operations, which may or may not be in line with what runners want a course to look like. I think we'd all love to see it go through GE! But I'm not expecting that in any way.

I can't see any way they could start in DHS. 1. Because DHS is geographically in the middle of things: there wouldn't be a way of putting together 13.1 miles without including WWOS, and including WWOS was an epic disaster the inaugural year. And 2. because the DHS parking lot can't afford to lose parking space to race set-up when it's going to be packed with people wanting to visit SWGE.

It hasn't ever gone through the SW area of DHS, so if that was an expectation folks had, it hasn't been met yet. Disney will always do what works best for its operations, which may or may not be in line with what runners want a course to look like. I think we'd all love to see it go through GE! But I'm not expecting that in any way.

At this point I think it more likely that the 10K will go through SWGE than the half will, which makes me wonder if I should sign up for the challenge solely for that (even though I would tank my 10K time in favor of a better half time). I've never done a challenge and still am not sure I want to, but I do want to run the land if one of the courses is doing it....

My expectation would be for the race to not run through SWGE. However, I'd be pumped if any of the 3 races went through SWGE.

I'll caution against making any assumptions about running through GE - it would be great if we do, but we've seen nothing to indicate that will actually happen! I think we'll have a better feel for whether it's possible after the EEMHs conclude in Nov.: IF they stop the EEMHs, that is. I think it's still likely DHS will be open at least as early as 8am by next April, though, which would likely make running a race through it impossible.
Good points. I think they could always not hold EEMHs for those 2-3 days in order to allow the Star Wars race to go through Galaxy's Edge. Disneyland did not offer early entry on race weekends.

I would think that you'd do everything possible to make it work because otherwise it just looks weird. My first thought would be starting the race at Hollywood Studios but someone else prob knows if they're capable of doing that.
If runDisney wants to have any of the races go through Galaxy's Edge, they will find a way. The course would change, but they can do it if they want to. I would hope they realize that a Star Wars race almost needs to, but we will see.

We're both big Star Wars nerds and super excited about seeing it.
One week from right now, I will be on Batuu!!!

At this point I think it more likely that the 10K will go through SWGE than the half will, which makes me wonder if I should sign up for the challenge solely for that (even though I would tank my 10K time in favor of a better half time). I've never done a challenge and still am not sure I want to, but I do want to run the land if one of the courses is doing it....
I used to be terrified that running a shorter distance one day would mean I could not run the longer distance the next day so I always skipped the 5Ks for that very reason. When the Rebel Challenge was announced, I concluded that since I successfully finished a half marathon at the end of a week long visit to Disney World with my usual park touring in the days leading up to the race, I should be able to handle a 10K and Half on back to back days with proper training. So I ran my first 10K the day before the inaugural Star Wars Half at Disneyland.

You may have to take the shorter distances easier to save your legs and energy for the half, but it is very much possible. And for what it's worth, my PR in a half marathon is 3:02. So I'm not fast.

If runDisney wants to have any of the races go through Galaxy's Edge, they will find a way. The course would change, but they can do it if they want to. I would hope they realize that a Star Wars race almost needs to, but we will see.

This is the rub. I think runners are far more in love with the idea that the race needs to go through SWGE than RunDisney. They’ve shown that they are quite comfortable with their courses being generic across cookie cutter race weekends with just a couple of variations for each distance. Nothing I’ve seen or heard from RunDisney has implied that they see this level of theming as a priority.

I might actually email RD to ask about this and more than likely I won't get a satisfactory answer but it's worth a shot.

So jealous! I hope you'll come back and let us know all about it :)
I think my excitement meter is approaching new Star Wars movie level excitement, which is my highest level of Star Wars excitement and has yet to occur for a non movie Star Wars event. Including all 5 Star Wars race weekends I participated in which I was very excited for.

My expectation would be for the race to not run through SWGE. However, I'd be pumped if any of the 3 races went through SWGE.
This^
Runner’s should not sign up assuming that any course will run through SWGE, thus setting themselves up for disappointment/ anger. Instead, sign up if you want to run the races, then be pleasantly surprised if runDisney does decide it is possible to run through there (which I don’t think will happen). Getting angry based on an assumption would be a personal problem, not a runDisney problem.

This^
Runner’s should not sign up assuming that any course will run through SWGE, thus setting themselves up for disappointment/ anger. Instead, sign up if you want to run the races, then be pleasantly surprised if runDisney does decide it is possible to run through there (which I don’t think will happen). Getting angry based on an assumption would be a personal problem, not a runDisney problem.
As much as I want it to happen and believe it should happen, I do not expect it to actually happen. So while I will be disappointed if it does not happen, I will quickly move on from that disappointment. Managing expectations is key.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter