Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

As much as I want it to happen and believe it should happen, I do not expect it to actually happen. So while I will be disappointed if it does not happen, I will quickly move on from that disappointment. Managing expectations is key.

I guess I’m more optimistic about this but also, no matter what the situation, it would kinda be nice to know either way.

(sent an email asking btw, will provide an update when i hear back)

To those planning to sign up with the expectation of running through GE .... don’t assume... I signed up for the W&D 5K this year excited to run through Animal Kingdom/Pandora and then a day or two post AP registration it was announced that the run would be moving to Epcot ...

This^
Runner’s should not sign up assuming that any course will run through SWGE, thus setting themselves up for disappointment/ anger. Instead, sign up if you want to run the races, then be pleasantly surprised if runDisney does decide it is possible to run through there (which I don’t think will happen). Getting angry based on an assumption would be a personal problem, not a runDisney problem.

Agreed. After seeing last night’s dedication ceremony and multiple YouTube videos of the land, this land is going to exceed expectations. This means the crowds may or may not exceed expectations, which will lead to increased hours.

My One hope would be for an extra party at SWGE or all of DHS for runners to only have access to tickets and my guess is for an extra cost, which I would easily pay for.

I think the only race that may possibly but doubtfully run through it would be the 5K because of its shorter duration.

I got a response! They were pretty quick but as expected they’re not really saying anything, which is a bummer but i guess i’ll have a decision to make.

“At this time, we are still determining our course for this event. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause. You will be able to find all of our course information approximately two weeks prior to the event in the Official Digital Event Guide, which will be posted under the "Runner Info" tab on runDisney.com.”

I think they have to get GE open and really see what the crowd levels are going to be over the course of a few months before they can start to think about changing the race course. If they still need extra morning magic hours to accommodate getting as many park guests through the land as possible, that would probably take priority over the race course. That being said, an after hours event for GE should be a no-brainer with as many Star Wars fans on property for the race. That's easy money for Disney.

I love the idea of an after hours party for Galaxy's Edge, but what's the capacity of Galaxy's Edge? Can that one area hold 10,000+ all at the same time and still have that be a good experience?

So far the early data from Disneyland where it opened to the public this morning shows that the reservation system is keeping wait times manageable if not incredibly reasonable.

I love the idea of an after hours party for Galaxy's Edge, but what's the capacity of Galaxy's Edge? Can that one area hold 10,000+ all at the same time and still have that be a good experience?

So far the early data from Disneyland where it opened to the public this morning shows that the reservation system is keeping wait times manageable if not incredibly reasonable.
This could be inaccurate but the chatter is that they've capped it at 2,500-3,000 people for each reservation period right now (obv with the reservation periods overlapping there would be some increase from that in the one hour overlap). That'll definitely increase once the reservation period is done and will max out once Rise is finally open but it's unclear about how much it'll increase. I think they can hit 10k though.

Last edited:
Looking at some old course maps

This could be inaccurate but the chatter is that they've capped it at 2,500-3,000 people for each reservation period right now (obv with the reservation periods overlapping there would be some increase from that in the one hour overlap). That'll definitely increase once the reservation period is done and will max out once Rise is finally open but it's unclear about how much it'll increase. I think they can hit 10k though.

If they offered an after party for runners only and those runners have to pay extra for that ticket ($80-100). How many of 10,000 runners would pay another $100 for Galaxy's Edge capped off at 2,500.

The key to me is capped. I did the Star Wars After Dark party at Disneyland last May. I had a 5 minute wait for Hyperspace Mountain. Granted, that was the only ride I went on during the party since I was busy doing all the character opportunities and photo ops at the party, but I've heard a few people comment that those parties can be great for people who just want go on rides because the guests who are excited for the party theme spend all their time in the special themed opportunities the party offers.

I am committing to the 1/2. I have never done these races, I have only done the Princess Weekends. (I am doing the Enchanted 10k in Feb 2020) I did one 1/2 before but I did not run it. I walked 80 % because I could not train due to a car accident. I want to EARN my medal by running more than just acrossed the finish line.

I am committing to the 1/2. I have never done these races, I have only done the Princess Weekends. (I am doing the Enchanted 10k in Feb 2020) I did one 1/2 before but I did not run it. I walked 80 % because I could not train due to a car accident. I want to EARN my medal by running more than just acrossed the finish line.

You can do it! I use the Hal Higdon Novice HM training program (it's 12 weeks) for all of my half marathon training, and I found it was easy to stick to, and I could make adjustments to it if I needed to. For instance, I added a week in case of holidays, illness or injury, since much of the training for Princess & Star Wars occur during the winter months i.e. cold & flu season.

So having returned from Disneyland last night and having now experienced some of what Galaxy's Edge has to offer, I have some more thoughts about what a supposed hard ticket runners party involving Galaxy's Edge should look like.

1. 4 hours, which is what the Disneyland reservation windows are at, is not enough time for huge Star Wars fans to experience the area. For instance, I had to save building your own lightsaber and building a droid and the Cantina for a future visit. If it's just the two rides and nothing else open, the party will be very miserable unless the numbers are really low. No one wants to pay the premium price for a hard ticket party and spend the entirety of that party in line for just 2 rides.

Look, I really enjoyed Smugglers Run. I'm excited for Rise of the Resistance. But Galaxy's Edge really works because of the immersion. In very general terms, I actually did not feel like I was in Disneyland. A few minutes after I had to leave Galaxy's Edge, I sat on a bench in New Orleans Square wondering if I had really been there.

Part of that immersion is the marketplace and part of that immersion is the characters. Even if you all do is watch them roam the area, it adds a level of immersion to the experience that I've never had before. For this reason alone, I think Galaxy's Edge is a superior experience to Wizarding World.

2. I think the party needs to be at least 4 hours long. Maybe keep the entire park open, but give all ticket holders a guarantee of a fast pass for both attractions assuming Rise of the Resistance is open and one other experience (droid or lightsaber or cantina).

3. All aspects then open in Galaxy's Edge need to be open during the party. This includes the quick service restaurants, milk stand, and all gift shops. No one has to buy anything, but just having them open adds to the experience of Galaxy's Edge.

4. I think it needs to offer special characters similar to the other Star Wars themed parties beyond those you can come across in Galaxy's Edge such as droids, jawas, ewoks, etc. I'm fine if they won't have Vader there since Batuu is currently set in the sequel trilogy.

As many have noted, there are no traditional meet and greets in Galaxy's Edge. But you will see characters wandering the area. During my 4 hours I saw and got a picture with Rey. I also saw Resistance spy Vi Moradi (she's in a novel, but has not appeared in the movies) walking around, stormtroopers, and Kylo Ren. I did not see Chewbacca, but I know he's there. If you want a picture with a character, just walk with them and ask them for a scan. They will allow it. Just remember they will be in character. R2-D2 is in the droid depot near one of the registers. He's just chilling there and you can get your photo with him for free. As I said above, the difference for me between Galaxy's Edge and Wizarding World is that Galaxy's Edge has known characters from the new movies so it feels like you're actually in the story. The very spectacular and well done Wizarding World feels like you've been invited to visit. Galaxy's Edge felt like you're in the middle of the story. And to me that difference came from being able to interact with the characters from Star Wars.

If they announce such a party, I would certainly look into it. I just hope that they make such a party special. I'm not sure what Galaxy's Edge proper capacity is, so I would think they need to have more open in the park at that time, just make sure they give all party guests some sort of guaranteed reservation for at least 3 Galaxy's Edge experiences during the party.

Disney has indicated that if they have the capacity set properly, Smugglers Run is a 2 hour wait time with no fast pass and enough crowds to not be overwhelming. That kind of wait time for this party will leave them with a lot of very upset guests.

I think the best course of action then would be to have a hard ticket party, capped, and run it on multiple nights (say 3) over the duration of the race weekend (Wed night - Sun night)
So, say Wed, Thurs, Sun. Maybe add in Friday but Friday/Saturday are the busiest days, so I can see that not happening.

4 hours, which is what the Disneyland reservation windows are at, is not enough time for huge Star Wars fans to experience the area. For instance, I had to save building your own lightsaber and building a droid and the Cantina for a future visit.
Wait, did you intend to do Savi's or Oga's for this visit and missed out due to lines or did you just want to explore? Because as far as I know, if you want to do either of those you have to head there as soon as your reservation starts, and I assume that'll be the case until they bring in a different reservation system.

Wait, did you intend to do Savi's or Oga's for this visit and missed out due to lines or did you just want to explore? Because as far as I know, if you want to do either of those you have to head there as soon as your reservation starts, and I assume that'll be the case until they bring in a different reservation system.
I chose to not worry about them during my first visit because of the limited time. I think the next big information piece comes on June 24th when reservations are no longer required and they open it up to everyone albeit with the boarding groups in an attempt to keep the area enjoyable as opposed to shoulder to shoulder.

@fatmanatee RunDisney was at a marathon expo in May, and I asked their representative about adding Galaxy's Edge to the course. She said that RD really wants the SW half course to go through Galaxy's Edge, but it all depends on whether the cast members in charge of Parks will allow the course to go through Galaxy's Edge. So, similar answers but the RD people definitely want it to happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter