Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

@fatmanatee RunDisney was at a marathon expo in May, and I asked their representative about adding Galaxy's Edge to the course. She said that RD really wants the SW half course to go through Galaxy's Edge, but it all depends on whether the cast members in charge of Parks will allow the course to go through Galaxy's Edge. So, similar answers but the RD people definitely want it to happen.
Interesting! This makes sense and I'm curious about the logistics. They probably have some ideas for courses that will allow them to go through GE (early, near or at the start?). Maybe a course like this works? I can't see them using the course I ran (2017 Dark Side), which ended at Epcot and had a HS section near the end. And obviously, there's the challenge of dealing with two different crowds, the runners and the park crowds. Getting runners in and out early helps but I'm guessing that's the main issue.

Thanks for asking about this!

@fatmanatee The 2016 course looks promising! Personally, I would happily start the race earlier if that was the only way the Parks people would let the course go through Galaxy's Edge...but I'm also a bit crazy when it comes to waking up early for races 🤣

@fatmanatee The 2016 course looks promising! Personally, I would happily start the race earlier if that was the only way the Parks people would let the course go through Galaxy's Edge...but I'm also a bit crazy when it comes to waking up early for races 🤣

The 2016 course was an absolute disaster for runners that weren't in the first few corrals. Hitting the Boardwalk area portion of the course early in the race before the crowding had a chance to thin out dramatically led to shoulder to shoulder bottlenecks where people had a hard time making forward progress, much less running. RunDisney took a beating for both the 10k and half courses that ran that way during that weekend.

The 2016 course was an absolute disaster for runners that weren't in the first few corrals. Hitting the Boardwalk area portion of the course early in the race before the crowding had a chance to thin out dramatically led to shoulder to shoulder bottlenecks where people had a hard time making forward progress, much less running. RunDisney took a beating for both the 10k and half courses that ran that way during that weekend.
Ah, welp.

I didn't even think of that! This will only be my second RunDisney event, and my first SW event. Fingers crossed RunDisney comes up with another solution

The 2016 course was an absolute disaster for runners that weren't in the first few corrals.
And that's putting it mildly. It was nothing short of ATROCIOUS and rD heard maaaaaaany complaints. I'm a huge SW fan, local, and an rD addict: I told them (and anyone else who would listen lol) I'd never run another SW race again with a course like that.

I agree that the 2016 race was crazy! What about starting the race at ESPN and run Victory Way to Osceola then World Drive to the Studios via the new ramp on the south side of Galaxy's Edge. That would put us in GE before it opens and out of HS before the park opens. Then the course would head into Epcot, exit Epcot onto Epcot Center Drive and then left onto World Drive back to Victory Way and finish at ESPN. The course could be shortened for the 10K to only enter HS and exit onto Buena Vista Drive and back to ESPN. Just rough measuring, it looks like this would work and provide a different race experience other than always ending at Epcot. Thoughts? My picture doesn't show 13 miles but that could be easily increased by adding more miles in Epcot or in the parking lots.

I agree that the 2016 race was crazy! What about starting the race at ESPN and run Victory Way to Osceola then World Drive to the Studios via the new ramp on the south side of Galaxy's Edge. That would put us in GE before it opens and out of HS before the park opens. Then the course would head into Epcot, exit Epcot onto Epcot Center Drive and then left onto World Drive back to Victory Way and finish at ESPN. The course could be shortened for the 10K to only enter HS and exit onto Buena Vista Drive and back to ESPN. Just rough measuring, it looks like this would work and provide a different race experience other than always ending at Epcot. Thoughts? My picture doesn't show 13 miles but that could be easily increased by adding more miles in Epcot or in the parking lots.
ESPN WWOS was a big part of the enormous issues they had in 2016. Like, it took me 2 buses, a mile walk, and 3+ hours to get back to my car at EP after the 10K kind of issues. They have improved bus areas at WWOS since then, but it's still nowhere near the capacity and logistics of EP. WWOS needs to be cleared quickly post-race to handle expo, kids races, and other events during the day. And Victory Way has to be used for traffic. We were rushed throughout the 10K to hurry and finish the race because they knew they needed to get buses going. The lines for buses after the 2016 races were biblical - and the buses back to EP for those who drove stopped running before the race was finished on 10K day: I was told I had to take a bus to a resort, then get a bus from there to EP, and that dropped off at the other end of EP, not where we were parked for the race. On top of it all, WWOS is in a different county and couldn't serve alcohol before 11am - aside from ticked off runners who wanted a beer post-race, WDW lost revenue. I really cannot adequately express the complete insanity of race logistics that year, lol! In comparison, the last few years of starting at the TTC and finishing at EP have been downright blissful.

The first year, I believe we started at 5 a.m. for the half, the 5K and 10 K started at 5:30. I would like to go back to that schedule for us slower runners. It would buy us 30 fewer minutes in the sun and get us out of the parks earlier.

Given the choice between Celebration Anaheim 2020 or Kessel Run in April at WDW the family has chosen WDW. Now to find a way to make sure everyone has a 5k entry, I'll worry about Kessel for myself a bit further down the Pike. As is, looks like rack rate for 5 nights at AS Sports with 4 day park hoppers, memory maker, and Dis Dining is gonna run 4k.

So I looked up resort pricing for this race weekend out of curiosity because I would like to do it but Pop is about $227 a night and All Star Sports was $185 a night. That is way higher than I am used too.
Sports is ‘only’ about 32 more a night then what we are paying for Movies in November but I agree for the room you get if it wasn’t so convenient being in the bubble during a race weekend you could find some nice resorts off property I’m sure

So I looked up resort pricing for this race weekend out of curiosity because I would like to do it but Pop is about $227 a night and All Star Sports was $185 a night. That is way higher than I am used too.
I don't know how young families can afford WDW anymore. So glad it was affordable when my children were young and our income was lower, otherwise WDW simply would not have been possible for us.

That's INSANE!!!! I'll be offsite, for sure. Or maybe sleeping in my car lol!

I don't know how young families can afford WDW anymore. So glad it was affordable when my children were young and our income was lower, otherwise WDW simply would not have been possible for us.
Right? I used to be able to afford more as a FL resident, but WDW's prices have been increasing much faster than my income, so each year I'm downgrading our APs, staying at lower-level resorts, spending less on food, and spending less time there altogether, and am now offsite almost entirely when I do any overnight trips. And it's just me and my son - I can't fathom how larger families who also have travel costs do it!

I booked Pop, yeah they really jacked up the prices from last year. It is what it is I guess.

I guess the next sticker shock is the price increase for the Kessel Run Challenge.

I'm in again this year, and so is my dad probably. Turns out at 70 he's discovered that he loves running after all!

Fun fact... found out recently that I ran the challenge this year, possibly last year, and at least one full Ironman on a cracked femur. (Undetected stress fracture!!) I was wondering why my paces were slower than normal. Can't wait for 2020 to see how this goes at "full strength." I mention this mostly to laugh at myself, but for those worried about train up, if I can do these crazy things on a cracked bone, you're going to be fine. :) Dopey 2020 is out though while I ensure I'm healed up.

The price increases make me scared for DVC dues increases. If it wasn’t for DVC, I wouldn’t be staying onsite especially when I can get nicer hotels for cheaper.

We probably won’t have much Disney time in 2020 outside of race weekends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter