Official AK Moonlight Magic Discussion

Could you tell us about the character line wait times?

We jumped in the icecream line when the event first started (kid's priorities!) and after that headed over to meet Brer Fox and Brer Bear. I think we waited maybe 20-25 minutes. It was a great interaction. Kids loved it. That was the only character meet we planned to do but towards the end of the night (maybe around 11:40 or so) we walked by Minnie and Mickey and there was really nobody there so we jumped in for a quick picture. Again, great interaction. We also found the interactions with the characters at the dance parties to be excellent. They spent so much time with the kids and there were very low crowds around the dance parties when we were there. We found the worst crowds in the carnival game section as people were using their free tickets for the games. Restaurants got bad too as the night went on. If you have an AP or a ticket to use otherwise I would get there before 6 and eat. We found that worked well to maximise time. You could also have the rides you want to do fastpassed for before the party starts. We did not do many rides during the party. Some of the wait times were pretty high. I would say MM was a lot of fun, but I would definitely have a plan and try and do as much of the non party things before the party starts. Time goes by pretty quickly...

We went to MM at AK last year, and have tix for August 8 this year. Last year, on the brochure, there was a disclaimer that rides may be not be available for the entire length of the party. I don't know the exact time, but they did close the line to FoP prior to midnight, so they could clear out the queue closer to the end of the official party.

Due to an issue with a CM not being able to count to 16, even though we told him there were 18 people in the room, we volunteered to step out and do the preshow again. As it turned out, we did the final ride of the night with just one other family. Our official time of leaving Animal Kingdom was 1:43 am, and we were the last one's out.

I looked over this year's brochure posted earlier in this thread, and did not see such a disclaimer, but it could have also been on part of the brochure not photographed. So just be careful if saving FoP to the very end, as the line might get closed early.

For those that went to the date in July, what time did they actually start check in at the resorts for the event? The email I just got for 8/8 says check in at the resorts starting at 6pm but I feel like I read that people checked in at the resorts earlier.

I don't understand what/where this "Vacation Planning Booth" is:
  • Early Main Entrance Check-In: Vacation Planning Booth, open from 12:00 pm- 6:00 PM
  • Please note: Valid theme park admission is required to enter Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park prior to 6:00 PM
Any insights or map location of the "Vacation Planning Booth"?

• Early Main Entrance Check-In: Vacation Planning Booth, open from 12:00 pm- 6:00 PM
  • Please note: Valid theme park admission is required to enter Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park prior to 6:00 PM
Per a post earlier in the thread (can't remember how long ago, and I don't want to look), it is either the far right or far left Guest Services booth at Animal Kingdom. I think they said there were signs indicating which booth / window it was as you approach.

Thanks, I think that picture was from the resort check-in, but maybe I misunderstood. The "vacation planning booth" doens't indicate if it's at the outside (DAK park exterior) ticketing windows, or within the interior of the park. I would assume that it's in the interior of the park because of the note about admission being required before 6pm, but I didn't want to assume incorrectly.

It is the left-most ticketing booth at the Animal Kingdom Theme Park as you approaching the park. So, inside Security but outside the Park.

We did the July 18th MM at AK. A few things I'd like to share. This is from one of the email reminders I received:
"Please note: Kilimanjaro Safaris will close at 10:00 PM as they are not party animals, and some of the Park's other most popular attractions may close early, pending capacity, so please plan accordingly.) "
I attended the AK MM two years ago and we received assigned times for the safari. But....AK also closed earlier back then if I recall correctly.
There was a terrible storm that ended around 5:00 or so. Was going to check in at the lobby at AKL Kidani but the line was already very long. Friends that were coming with us were staying at the Contemporary. I walked to the head of the line just to inquire about getting my friends' bands. Nope....rule change from last time. You can pick up your own, but then the rest of your party has to check in also. So, since I had a car, I opted to drive to AK.....parking was great.....the guy at the booth said to park whereever I wanted. So I followed someone else and we ended up parking in preferred parking, an extremely short walk to the entrance. We checked in (all the way to the right, big balloon thing directs you) and had to explain about our friends (that had to wait about 40 minutes for a bus at the contemporary, as I guess they share with Ft Wilderness and when the bus came it was jam packed with nobody getting off, so they had to wait for the next one. So we got in to the park and texted our friends to do the same thing and just give our name....they finally got there and no problem getting in.

Our first stop was Flame Tree. Yes, it was extremely crowded, but well organized. Guy in front of me asked where everyone got the coupons from. Lots of food being prepared for sure.

Next stop was the safari. Wanted to get that in....it was more or less a walk-on....I think lots of people left during the bad storm. It was the best safari ever.....nearly dark. The lion and two lionesses were walking around.

Expedition Everest was temporarily closed. We went over to Pandora and did the Navi River ride....FYI don't ever waste a fast pass on this. We were just killing time until the FOP line got a little shorter. So...posted wait time for FOP was well over an hour, but I think it was more like 35 minutes. Then the Mickey bars were available....stopped there and then saw that EE was up and running.....that was about 10 minutes. Then we did the arcade games.......that is a real time eater, and this year you got one ticket....last time it was two. By the time we finished, I wanted to get another Mickey Bar, but they closed 1 minute before we got there. I couldn't believe the time went by so fast.

I don't know if everyone experienced the same thing with check in or if it varied from resort to resort. Also if you are taking a bus to AK, leave way ahead of time.

For the most part, all attendees were happy and having fun....except someone complaining loudly that DVC cut back on the arcade tickets.....and another person berating a CM because someone ordered an alcoholic beverage from a booth was not wearing a MM band....she expected the CM to boot the person from the park. I guess as along as a person doesn't trying to get a mickey bar or get on a ride or do a meet and greet they are allowed to stay? As long as they pay for their food I guess its okay.

Anyway, things can change for the one next week......but enjoy! budget your time carefully!

For those that checked in early at the AK window, did the entire group have to be there to check in?

For those that went to the date in July, what time did they actually start check in at the resorts for the event? The email I just got for 8/8 says check in at the resorts starting at 6pm but I feel like I read that people checked in at the resorts earlier.

At the Boardwalk it was a little before 5 PM. We checked into the resort around 2 PM and I specifically asked about the time and location of the MM check-in at the resort. The woman told me that it was “officially” 6 PM, but that she was fairly sure that she had seen in an e-mail that it would actually start at 5. I walked through the lobby around 4:30 and nothing was happening. We left our room about 4:50 and when we got to the lobby, people were already walking away with their wristbands. We were about the 7th or 8th family in line. It went quick and we were walking to the bus by 5:15.

At the Boardwalk it was a little before 5 PM. We checked into the resort around 2 PM and I specifically asked about the time and location of the MM check-in at the resort. The woman told me that it was “officially” 6 PM, but that she was fairly sure that she had seen in an e-mail that it would actually start at 5. I walked through the lobby around 4:30 and nothing was happening. We left our room about 4:50 and when we got to the lobby, people were already walking away with their wristbands. We were about the 7th or 8th family in line. It went quick and we were walking to the bus by 5:15.
Good to know. Thank you.

We jumped in the icecream line when the event first started (kid's priorities!) and after that headed over to meet Brer Fox and Brer Bear. I think we waited maybe 20-25 minutes. It was a great interaction. Kids loved it. That was the only character meet we planned to do but towards the end of the night (maybe around 11:40 or so) we walked by Minnie and Mickey and there was really nobody there so we jumped in for a quick picture. Again, great interaction. We also found the interactions with the characters at the dance parties to be excellent. They spent so much time with the kids and there were very low crowds around the dance parties when we were there. We found the worst crowds in the carnival game section as people were using their free tickets for the games. Restaurants got bad too as the night went on. If you have an AP or a ticket to use otherwise I would get there before 6 and eat. We found that worked well to maximise time. You could also have the rides you want to do fastpassed for before the party starts. We did not do many rides during the party. Some of the wait times were pretty high. I would say MM was a lot of fun, but I would definitely have a plan and try and do as much of the non party things before the party starts. Time goes by pretty quickly...
Are you saying that you could use the food ticket before the event actually started? We had planned on going early anyways and we’re trying to figure out how to plan dinner because I knew everyone would never be able to wait till 9:30 to eat dinner. If so I wish I had known this last time.

Are you saying that you could use the food ticket before the event actually started? We had planned on going early anyways and we’re trying to figure out how to plan dinner because I knew everyone would never be able to wait till 9:30 to eat dinner. If so I wish I had known this last time.
The food voucher is good to use as soon as it’s in your hand.

Yes. We used our vouchers around 8 PM and saw many others using theirs even earlier.

Last edited:
We went on the 18th, it was fun. Checked in "in park" at Dawa about 6pm, got the bands, vouchers etc. Flaming tree was a madhouse and we waited an hour for our food but got it. Free Mickey bars were nice I don't think I really cared to meet DVC executives but there was a long line for that, I mean who does that with Family, I could really care less. I was actually underwhelmed crowds died off at 9pm dramatically. We saw rivers of light, and Pandora was amazing at night. We rode the FOP 3 times that night and waited maybe 35-40 mins total from entering line to getting off each time. Got the shirt and drink tumbler but the merch was scarce and nothing to write home about. A good night in all we were there from 9am to midnight. Friends of ours that were there left when we all tried to go to Pandora about 9pm and they were stopped by the wristband police as they were not DVC. I would go again but to me it was way overrated for what it actually was.

Hey y'all, the ticket window ALL the way to the left is the one for the MM check-in @DAK. I've got my bands 'n stuff.

MM opens at 5pm tonight. Surprise magic! The food vouchers are also good at 5pm tonight as well!
I'll be there in an animal print maxi dress, cream moss 'n flower ears with blue LEDs. Come say hi!

Thank you. All picked up and ready to go, the cast member said 5pm admission as well.
I can confirm it was 5pm as we had picked up our wristbands this afternoon and the CM at the AK window said 5 after I asked if it was 6pm. We went back to our room, got a few things and after no wait were walking towards Discovery Island at 5:10pm. It was glorious to not have to wait in the wristband line with others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter