*******Official August 2017 Countdown Thread ~ Feeling hot, hot, hot!!!******

Got my room text... kinda. Got the "your room's not ready" text. Check-in is 3, so I assume I should get the real one in the next half hour.

Of course, I'm sitting at work, the plane doesn't take off for 4.5 hours (the rate it's been going, likely 6+) and we won't get there before 12:30, but it's nice to know.

EDIT: Just got it. We'll be in the Love Bug for ~11 hours and then off to the Poly!

Last edited:
We had a pass to a water park this trip. I found a park ticket with a free water park pass attached that became active after 2pm. So it was no loss if we didn’t fit it in. I would say check the hours because they do vary. My son is 7. He and I went to Blizzard Beach and had a wonderful time. They do have great kids’ areas there for the ones under 48 inches. My son is 48.5 inches tall and he wanted to do the wave pool so we spent a lot of time there. And we did the Lazy River twice, which is I believe called Cross Country Creek. They had single tubes, double tubes and child size tubes. The child size ones had a seat in them. Just a couple of slides outside the kiddie area he was tall enough for. There is also a nice section of the wave pool that remains calm which I really liked.

Towels are $2 each to rent. Lockers are $10 for standard and $15 for a large. The standard ones were sold out when we got there so I had to get a large. The changing room was spacious. We were changing at closing time and I didn’t have trouble finding one. I had big ziplock bags to put the wet stuff in. We loved it. I hope to do it again next trip.

Thanks for the review! It certainly sways me a little more to going. How many hours would you say you would have to budget for a water park visit, from time you leave your hotel to getting on the bus to return, for it to be worth it?

We have a pass to either water park this trip. I didn't budget time, but I did plan on going back to the room for mid-day breaks. For those who have been to the water parks, especially in August, do you think it's worth fitting it in? DH is not a water park fan and my kids are 7 and almost 3.
We had been going in cooler weather but last trip was in Sept. We decided to try a water park. The kids were 1,3,5,7. It is all they talk about and their only must do for this trip. They will be 2,5,7,9. We went to BB and will be going back next week - cant wait!

Checking in on Sunday and read this in the "before you arrive" email. "the subtropical climate of central florida brings mixtures of sun and rain....as well as a variety of insects. For your convenience WDW provides complimentary insect repellent for guest use throughout the parks and resorts."

Question 1: we have been to the world several times this same week and have never had issues with insects. has something changed since our last trip 3 years ago?
Question 2: how does one obtain the complimentary bug spray?

We are at Fort Wilderness and not one of us has gotten a bug bite. When we checked in at the front desk we were handed a package of bug repellent wipes. It has sat unopened. Epcot and typhoon lagoon ( where we have been so far),has not been buggy at all.

We are at Fort Wilderness and not one of us has gotten a bug bite. When we checked in at the front desk we were handed a package of bug repellent wipes. It has sat unopened. Epcot and typhoon lagoon ( where we have been so far),has not been buggy at all.

Wow! Good to know. I've never had a problem and was surprised that they would give out bug repellent! Maybe because of the zika virus scare of late?

Well, we just got home. Had a 9 day visit. Stayed at All star sports. This was our first time at that resort. The kids really enjoyed it and we booked a bounce back stay there for next summer. Our first day was a little rocky. We arrived at our hotel at 9am, our room was not ready. Our magic bands were all programmed to the wrong person. A very nice CM corrected this for us, but it took almost 30mins. We went to typhoon lagoon. I didn't realize that you had to first go to Disney springs and then transfer to another bus to TL. We should have just wenr to Blizzard Beach. Anyway, I wasn't overly impressed. We go to Kalahari water park and I honestly thought it was much better. My kids are 12 and 15 and they were bored pretty quickly. However, we kept waiting for our room text. We were hoping room would be ready by 3, but we were told that they are not guaranteed until 5. I got an email at 450pm to come to the front desk for my room information. I never did get a text and it took another few hours for the room number to appear on my Disney experience. I had did the online check in as well. Anyway, finally got your room. Room was very clean. Beds comfortable.
The rest of the week went well. We enjoyed our visit. No other issues. The weather was hot, but manageable. We didn't get a lot of rain. Overall, a great trip.

Thanks for the review! It certainly sways me a little more to going. How many hours would you say you would have to budget for a water park visit, from time you leave your hotel to getting on the bus to return, for it to be worth it?

We were staying at All-Star Sports, which is really close to Blizzard Beach. We could not go before 2. We had bad timing on the bus. We waited 20 minutes for one to pick us up at Sports then over 30 for one to get us back. This was also one of 2 times we shared with the other All-Stars. So if you're staying somewhere that shares transportation with another resort, might want to budget 45 minutes plus for transportation.

We spent close to 3 hours playing which was all we had because we got there at 4 and they closed at 7. I thought they were open until 8 so I told ds let's take one last ride down the lazy river. At the end they were stacking the tubes and I realized I had gotten it wrong.

We were not rushed out so we still had time to dry off and change. We were satisfied. Had I paid for the passes, I would like at least a couple more hours. Of course then folks also get hungry.

Ideally I would have done this on its own day and not after spending a morning in one of the main parks. That would have worked better for my crew. I hope to do that next time.

Your youngest gets in free if I remember the ages correctly so that's a good thing and there is a great play area, plenty of life jackets as well.

We were staying at All-Star Sports, which is really close to Blizzard Beach. We could not go before 2. We had bad timing on the bus. We waited 20 minutes for one to pick us up at Sports then over 30 for one to get us back. This was also one of 2 times we shared with the other All-Stars. So if you're staying somewhere that shares transportation with another resort, might want to budget 45 minutes plus for transportation.

We spent close to 3 hours playing which was all we had because we got there at 4 and they closed at 7. I thought they were open until 8 so I told ds let's take one last ride down the lazy river. At the end they were stacking the tubes and I realized I had gotten it wrong.

We were not rushed out so we still had time to dry off and change. We were satisfied. Had I paid for the passes, I would like at least a couple more hours. Of course then folks also get hungry.

Ideally I would have done this on its own day and not after spending a morning in one of the main parks. That would have worked better for my crew. I hope to do that next time.

Your youngest gets in free if I remember the ages correctly so that's a good thing and there is a great play area, plenty of life jackets as well.

Thanks so much! This helps. I am not sure I will have the budgeted time this trip, but I am not ruling it out yet. :blush:

Ugh I'm just seeing what the bounceback offer is. I'm annoyed I would have booked it as I want to bring the kids back next summer. I wonder if I can book a bounce back for all of us when I return in September.

Been wait times on MDX in anticipation of our Sunday check-in. Seems like wait times have dropped drastically in the last week. Anyone there, can confirm?

Well at least I have some time to figure out what I want to do for next year. I go back in a few weeks for F&W. The kids want to go on a Cruise next year but I don't like any of the itineraries for 2018 ( I was really hoping for Hawaii). So looking to do that 2019. I would love to stay at PORR again but the kids might want a different atmosphere.

Been wait times on MDX in anticipation of our Sunday check-in. Seems like wait times have dropped drastically in the last week. Anyone there, can confirm?
Probably a lot of schools started in the last 2 weeks and other schools are due to start after labor day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter