*** Official August 2020 thread ***

How are we feeling now with the increase in COVID? I had just let myself get excited for this trip. Who thinks the opening will be delayed?

I'm still very excited. We have 50 days and alot can happen for the better. I was happy to see mini golf opened today so that's a good sign. With orange county now mandating masks I think that should help.

How are we feeling now with the increase in COVID? I had just let myself get excited for this trip. Who thinks the opening will be delayed?
We are not feeling good about it right now. We will be traveling with friends who rented points for their trip and they are now stuck with their reservation so they feel like they have to go. My family booked Wilderness lodge for August and our end of July stay at Port Orleans was moved to Contemporary and at this point we may just cancel. I was so excited when we booked our park days on Monday but now I just don’t know.

Honestly I go back and forth with my decision to go to on this trip. The rise in cases have me very concerned. Alot can happen in a month which I hope the numbers will decrease in that time. I am not canceling now but will make a decision mid July.

NY just announced that people coming into the state from FL need to quarantine for 14 days. I'm sure that will be a significant factor in the decision for anyone who lives in NY. I believe NJ and CT are doing the same.

Well last night we made the decision to postpone our trip to next April. Florida now seems to be the new Covid hot spot and DH does not feel comfortable getting on a plane this summer. That coupled with the quarantine (both ways now) for CT is just giving me more anxiety than it’s worth.

In addition - DS 6 cannot seem to keep a mask on his face when he is outside in the heat for more than 15 minutes.
we were so looking forward to this trip and tried to make this work but there are too many hoops to jump through at this point.

Tomh - thank you for organizing and maintaining this awesome thread ! And for everyone still planning to go to Disney this summer- enjoy your trip!!

Well last night we made the decision to postpone our trip to next April. Florida now seems to be the new Covid hot spot and DH does not feel comfortable getting on a plane this summer. That coupled with the quarantine (both ways now) for CT is just giving me more anxiety than it’s worth.

In addition - DS 6 cannot seem to keep a mask on his face when he is outside in the heat for more than 15 minutes.
we were so looking forward to this trip and tried to make this work but there are too many hoops to jump through at this point.

Tomh - thank you for organizing and maintaining this awesome thread ! And for everyone still planning to go to Disney this summer- enjoy your trip!!
Sorry you had to cancel, but I do believe you will have a better trip at a later time!

I did as well. It was quite the stressful morning but all worked out in the end. Can you report back after speaking with Disney regarding the ticket changes? I also have hopper plus tickets and need to figure out how that refund works. I also bought mine from undercover tourist so that adds another layer of challenges.
I finally called yesterday and got through. I had a package through Disney, so it was no problem at all. I had also had the recovery dining offer in the first week of a June, but hadn’t gotten the email about the 35% off because I moved that trip before I had to and they had already pulled back that promotion. The CM I talked to started out the conversation by telling me we were price protected to move to POP but I asked about the size of beds because we started with a King room before they did away with King assessable rooms as ASMu. And when I mentioned the 35% off that I hadn’t been offered, she checked and I was eligible. So we got moved to CBR, got our park hoppers changed to base tickets, got the 35% discount, and I’m getting $270 refunded. All in all, I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.

Honestly I go back and forth with my decision to go to on this trip. The rise in cases have me very concerned. Alot can happen in a month which I hope the numbers will decrease in that time. I am not canceling now but will make a decision mid July.
I get the back and forth thing. We purchased confirmed reservations from the dvc rental store before things started to creep back up, we'd only get 'credit' for a future booking. I'm hoping that things will pan out! I did make our park plans today. *fingers crossed*

So disappointing but we have cancelled. It’s the most prudent thing to do for us with travel advisories still out and mandatory quarantines when we return. Also added to the fact there won’t be insurance that covers any Covid related illness at this point it really is a no brainer when we are coming from Canada. No idea when we will rebook for at this point...

Please remove us from the roll call.

Aug 18-Sept 2 ILovePixieDust AS Sports

Aug 15 - Aug 21 tarheeltink ASM

With our schools changing the start date to a week earlier than planned, we had to move our trip to January. 😭 :sad: Its probably better that way, just stinks. Kids were bummed for sure. I'm cautiously optimistic that there will be some sort of 'normal' by January. 🤷‍♀️

Had to cancel.

As it is, Florida's cases are spiking, and NY has a two week quarantine upon return. My kids are both due to start school within that two weeks (one starting high school, one starting at NYU). We just can't go. My daughter's roommate is from Phoenix and will be coming to NY two weeks before school starts and quarantining with her mother.

We are going on our first DVC trip next August, which has been planned since last April. Thankfully, now I have a lot of airline credits on Delta to use before 9/30/22, and a bunch of gift cards that I'm not using this time which will pay for tickets, food and incidentals next year.

This sucks.

So disappointing but we have cancelled. It’s the most prudent thing to do for us with travel advisories still out and mandatory quarantines when we return. Also added to the fact there won’t be insurance that covers any Covid related illness at this point it really is a no brainer when we are coming from Canada. No idea when we will rebook for at this point...

Please remove us from the roll call.

Aug 18-Sept 2 ILovePixieDust AS Sports

You have been removed. Hope your next trip is amazing enough to make up for the disappointment of having to cancel this one!

Aug 15 - Aug 21 tarheeltink ASM

With our schools changing the start date to a week earlier than planned, we had to move our trip to January. 😭 :sad: Its probably better that way, just stinks. Kids were bummed for sure. I'm cautiously optimistic that there will be some sort of 'normal' by January. 🤷‍♀️

Roll Call has been updated. Honestly, I would be VERY surprised at this point, if January sees any kind of normalcy. I expect that we will be into next summer before things really start to move back towards normal.

Had to cancel.

As it is, Florida's cases are spiking, and NY has a two week quarantine upon return. My kids are both due to start school within that two weeks (one starting high school, one starting at NYU). We just can't go. My daughter's roommate is from Phoenix and will be coming to NY two weeks before school starts and quarantining with her mother.

We are going on our first DVC trip next August, which has been planned since last April. Thankfully, now I have a lot of airline credits on Delta to use before 9/30/22, and a bunch of gift cards that I'm not using this time which will pay for tickets, food and incidentals next year.

This sucks.

Sorry. Roll Call has been updated. I will see you in the August 2021 thread :)

Just so everyone knows, I'm going to be away from home for a few days, so there won't be any updates probably until next weekend.

Well, I canceled our August trip and rescheduled to December 2020. I was too stressed about flying and cases of COVID-19 going up. It sucks but at least I was able to find availability for December at Kidani Village. I hope everyone still going in August stay safe, have fun and have a Dole Whip for me!

Haven't been in here in a while. Hope everyone is hanging in there. We ended up changing our dates and resort to 8/15-8/22 at the Dolphin, but now with the extension of the 14-day quarantine from NY (the one back to NY is not a big issue since I work from home) I am not sure we will be going at all anymore. At the moment our options are cancel, wait to see if the extension is cut short, or stay with my in-laws for 14 days in NC before going to Disney. I am torn.

Hope it’s for fun and if so have a great trip!

Yes, indeed, it was for fun, and relaxation. We live in NY, and went a couple of hours North of our home, farther away from the city (we are already pretty far away from it) where things are even quieter and less populated (and as a result, even lower Covid numbers) and enjoyed a few days in the Adirondacks. We will likely do this again toward the end of the summer.

Well, I canceled our August trip and rescheduled to December 2020. I was too stressed about flying and cases of COVID-19 going up. It sucks but at least I was able to find availability for December at Kidani Village. I hope everyone still going in August stay safe, have fun and have a Dole Whip for me!

I hope your December plans turn out better . . . though I have a suspicion that things won't be much different in December. The August 2021 thread is waiting, you know, just in case :)

Haven't been in here in a while. Hope everyone is hanging in there. We ended up changing our dates and resort to 8/15-8/22 at the Dolphin, but now with the extension of the 14-day quarantine from NY (the one back to NY is not a big issue since I work from home) I am not sure we will be going at all anymore. At the moment our options are cancel, wait to see if the extension is cut short, or stay with my in-laws for 14 days in NC before going to Disney. I am torn.

Yeah, I can't imagine many people are travelling from NY to FL right now. Can you imagine, in order to spend 7 days in Disney, you would have to take like what, 35, or 36 days off from work so you could quarantine for 14 days two different times? Insane. While we are on that subject, I know FL is having an uptick in cases, but it is NOTHING like the numbers NY has . . . . do you get the idea that the 14 day quarantine in NY is just because our government wants to try to keep people from going to FL to spend their money?

Yes, indeed, it was for fun, and relaxation. We live in NY, and went a couple of hours North of our home, farther away from the city (we are already pretty far away from it) where things are even quieter and less populated (and as a result, even lower Covid numbers) and enjoyed a few days in the Adirondacks. We will likely do this again toward the end of the summer.

I hope your December plans turn out better . . . though I have a suspicion that things won't be much different in December. The August 2021 thread is waiting, you know, just in case :)

Yeah, I can't imagine many people are travelling from NY to FL right now. Can you imagine, in order to spend 7 days in Disney, you would have to take like what, 35, or 36 days off from work so you could quarantine for 14 days two different times? Insane. While we are on that subject, I know FL is having an uptick in cases, but it is NOTHING like the numbers NY has . . . . do you get the idea that the 14 day quarantine in NY is just because our government wants to try to keep people from going to FL to spend their money?
My best guess is that the 14 day quarantine when returning back to NY is to keep our numbers down here. We currently have I think 17 or 18 states on the list, if we leave NY to travel to one of them we have to quarantine 14 days when we get back. I would think it is to try and see if we got Covid while we were in one of the higher number states.

For us at least, my in laws are in NC and I can work from home so I could work from their home as well. Plus once we got back I could work from home as well. So it is definitely a possibility.

There are rumblings though that Florida is adjusting their list of states soon because it seems a bit crazy to have NY, NJ, and CT as the only states/areas when other states like California, Texas and Arizona are on the rise.

My best guess is that the 14 day quarantine when returning back to NY is to keep our numbers down here. We currently have I think 17 or 18 states on the list, if we leave NY to travel to one of them we have to quarantine 14 days when we get back. I would think it is to try and see if we got Covid while we were in one of the higher number states.

For us at least, my in laws are in NC and I can work from home so I could work from their home as well. Plus once we got back I could work from home as well. So it is definitely a possibility.

There are rumblings though that Florida is adjusting their list of states soon because it seems a bit crazy to have NY, NJ, and CT as the only states/areas when other states like California, Texas and Arizona are on the rise.

I've got to say too it doesn't make alot of sense to ban other states as risky when you ARE one of the top 3 hotspots, but hey I'm definitely not a governor. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!