Official Avengers Half Marathon Weekend 2015 Thread

I think my Flip Belt will just stay nice and cozy under my shirt. There is no way I am shimmying that thing off and on.
I saw those at the Expo yesterday and look like a great idea. I just don't want to try anything new for the race tomorrow. Also, it was pretty snug. I guess that's the idea.

I had a great time doing the 10K this morning with one exception - there was a group of men on the course (I was running near them in California Adventure) who were loudly fat shaming some of the overweight runners. I was shocked. Thankfully most of the women they went past and commented on when I was near them wore headphones and didn't hear the comments but I would have been horrified if someone had heard it and been upset.

It was the most uncool thing I have ever seen in a race. If those men happen to read this board, rethink your choices and behaviour.

I had a great time doing the 10K this morning with one exception - there was a group of men on the course (I was running near them in California Adventure) who were loudly fat shaming some of the overweight runners. I was shocked. Thankfully most of the women they went past and commented on when I was near them wore headphones and didn't hear the comments but I would have been horrified if someone had heard it and been upset.

It was the most uncool thing I have ever seen in a race. If those men happen to read this board, rethink your choices and behaviour.

Let me guess.. Those men were not the best at being in shape either

Why doesn't runDisney post ANY pics of these races...they post like every other day, if at all. Sad that they can't promote themselves more.

Why doesn't runDisney post ANY pics of these races...they post like every other day, if at all. Sad that they can't promote themselves more.

Agreed. They didn't even post the usual "good luck half marathon runners" on social media from what I could see. The race was awesome so it is really disappointing to see it virtually ignored by rD. Also odd they posted pics of the 5k & a good luck before the 5k & 10k but not the half.

Makes me so sad because that is not what runDisney is about. Had I heard them I probably woukd have hold back my anger.

What an awesome weekend! I enjoyed all three races:) liked all the courses. Was worried about what to expect for the half course, being totally unfamiliar with the area, but it was great. 10k course here was fantastic with so much park time. Same for the 5k. Getting my coast to coast was the icing on the cake for a great weekend!

I agree, disappointing there isn't more on social media.

It was weird how the Twitter feed went silent. It's almost like the person running it didn't come to work and they didn't have anyone to backfill. They haven't tweeted anything since Friday.

It was weird how the Twitter feed went silent. It's almost like the person running it didn't come to work and they didn't have anyone to backfill. They haven't tweeted anything since Friday.

Yes, very strange.

Home from a great weekend now. I really enjoyed all three races. I am still wondering what happened at the 5k to delay the start 10 minutes. Ran that with DH and the kids and loved it. It was DS9 and DH's first running races, and they thought it fun. Pretty sure DH was shocked to enjoy it. DD7 thoroughly enjoyed that this was her second 5k to her dad's first;) We hadn't been into the parks yet, so the kids were very excited to get a glimpse at everything.

The 10k course was, not surprisingly, my favorite. So much park time. I stopped for lots of selfies, plus pics with Thor (my favorite) and Captain America, whom I was dressed as.

The half I was nervous about. It was my 3rd half, and my previous ones (PHM '14 and '15) I had a lot of issues with knee pain severe enough to make me walk. My Garmin FR225 monitors my activity all day, and both Friday and Saturday with the races plus park time, I was over 13 miles each day at the end of the day. I was afraid my body was going to be too tired to get through it pain free. But, I started slow and focused on my form, and managed to finish the whole thing pain free. I was so excited. Beat my previous half race by 15 minutes. Loved the Angels Stadium, all the bands, and the Cosplayers that lined one section.

DL is a harder race for me to get to and DVC at GC is harder to come by, but I would love to return to do this again in a few years!

We had a great race weekend. Thanks for all the helpful hints and tips (like looking out for raised reflectors in the road!)
The trail section on the race was pretty nasty... Couldn't imagine it on a windy day. Saw some poor guy do a total face plant out there.... Too crowded on that trail section. Lots of helpful runners helped him up.
Liked the race a lot. Got my C2C medal!!! And got to ride Hyper Space Mountain!!

We had a great weekend too! I was so happy the wind (and rain) stayed away! I was blown away by the group of military members cheering us on along with the cos-players after the stadium, it felt like I should have been cheering for them!

I am super disappointed that they didn't have any medal replica pins for the 10k or challenge. Those are the one thing I like to collect and I know they don't always do the 10K but I've never done a challenge without one! :sad1:

See you all next year!

Home from a great weekend now. I really enjoyed all three races. I am still wondering what happened at the 5k to delay the start 10 minutes. Ran that with DH and the kids and loved it. It was DS9 and DH's first running races, and they thought it fun. Pretty sure DH was shocked to enjoy it. DD7 thoroughly enjoyed that this was her second 5k to her dad's first;) We hadn't been into the parks yet, so the kids were very excited to get a glimpse at everything.

The 10k course was, not surprisingly, my favorite. So much park time. I stopped for lots of selfies, plus pics with Thor (my favorite) and Captain America, whom I was dressed as.

The half I was nervous about. It was my 3rd half, and my previous ones (PHM '14 and '15) I had a lot of issues with knee pain severe enough to make me walk. My Garmin FR225 monitors my activity all day, and both Friday and Saturday with the races plus park time, I was over 13 miles each day at the end of the day. I was afraid my body was going to be too tired to get through it pain free. But, I started slow and focused on my form, and managed to finish the whole thing pain free. I was so excited. Beat my previous half race by 15 minutes. Loved the Angels Stadium, all the bands, and the Cosplayers that lined one section.

DL is a harder race for me to get to and DVC at GC is harder to come by, but I would love to return to do this again in a few years!

Apparently a car got on the course somewhere on the 5k from what I heard that's why there was a delay.

What I'm curious about is why there was a 5 minute delay for the half. I tried talking to the staff next to me when I realized the chairs had yet to go off and it was past 5:30. He said something about one last verifying of the course, but that sounds more like a standard answer just to explain away the delay. So I'm not 100 percent sure he knew either.

Apparently a car got on the course somewhere on the 5k from what I heard that's why there was a delay.

What I'm curious about is why there was a 5 minute delay for the half. I tried talking to the staff next to me when I realized the chairs had yet to go off and it was past 5:30. He said something about one last verifying of the course, but that sounds more like a standard answer just to explain away the delay. So I'm not 100 percent sure he knew either.

seems like the delay in the half resulted in a lot of people being swept as well. With the late start, it meant the last corral started later. Since they needed to clear the course by a certain time, it looks like the 16 min pace from the last person to cross the starting line was more heavily and strictly enforced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter