Official Avengers Super Hero Half Marathon Weekend 2014 Thread!

We're here now. Hubby is in bed with a terrible cold and fever. I'm very worried about him for tomorrow.

He insists I go to the parks today without him while he rests. I've never been to a park solo before. What to do???

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We're here now. Hubby is in bed with a terrible cold and fever. I'm very worried about him for tomorrow. He insists I go to the parks today without him while he rests. I've never been to a park solo before. What to do??? Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Go to the parks. Tell him to rest up and push the fluids.

If you guys didn't all ready see it here's what I noticed when I checked the forecast this morning:

7EDD9505-7343-48CC-A510-A2A361C72FDA_zpsko9jktey.png

Out of the rain and into the wind for those of us doing the turn around!

I'm looking out over Paradise Pier from the top of the Grand Californian thinking about running through the parks tomorrow. Good luck to everyone running in the morning.

Hope I get some sleep tonight.

All good today!! A little windy! Fun time though! - Brian
More than a little windy for me. Dust blowing in my eyes and mouth. Dirt blown into the water cups. The theme was very well executed, nice medal, and well organized. The wind was probably the worst part of the race for me.

More than a little windy for me. Dust blowing in my eyes and mouth. Dirt blown into the water cups. The theme was very well executed, nice medal, and well organized. The wind was probably the worst part of the race for me.

Same here. There was one point we were passing an area with running sprinklers (near that river trail)---so instead of just dirt/dust being blown in my eyes, it was WET dirt being blown in my eyes!

I was a little surprised at the decision to have corrals A and B start at the same time. I thought the corrals were already larger than I would have liked--and since they did that, why not just take down the barriers between the two and have B wait with A in the first place? I was in A, but had a friend running in B--it would have been nice to be able to wait in the corrals together.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED the spectators in costume along the river trail! That and the people in old style military uniforms outside the stadium! Totally made the race for me!
Running in Angels stadium was great too (and a nice respite from the wind!)
Other than that, I was a little disappointed in the course. Very little time in the parks and I missed that they didn't have colors of wonder lit up like they did at Tinker Bell.

I'm glad I did it once, but I don't think I will be a repeat Avengers runner.
As usual per Disney races, I got to talk to a lot of really nice runners--I always want to ask if they are Dis'ers but never do! ;)

I had an amazing time at Avengers and even PR'd I might do this one again next year even though I was going to take the year off. The wind sucked but as my boyfriend put it that isn't something you can control they just happen and happen all the time in that area.

Well that was a heck of a weekend! Congratulations everyone! I loved seeing everyone in costume run by on Main Street! I got there in time to see DH run by and then just stayed until they kicked us out after the last runner.

Set a new PR but just missed my goal of a sub-two by just under 4 minutes. I can attribute some of that to the crazy wind at mile 7. I wish I got an equal amount of tailwind coming out of Angel Stadium but that didn't last very long. At least I will be in a better corral for Star Wars and hopefully the race conditions will be more favorable in January.

I'm not sure I've ever run in winds like that. It seemed at times like it was coming from every direction. I also took a nice big swig of water before realizing the cup was filled with dirt. Oh well. As it was pointed out to me at least it wasn't 30 degrees like it was here in Boston on Sunday!!!

Minus the things Disney can't control I thought it was a great race. I had been worried about having so much of the race be outside the parks with no entertainment but I didn't need to. Tons of cheerleaders, a few bands, Angels Stadium and numerous other things really added to the race. Though I kind of wish we ran in the parks at the end as well.

Oh I also waited in line for two pictures. Had planned to get my picture with Thor but that line was so long it scared me away. Oh well!

Minus the things Disney can't control I thought it was a great race. I had been worried about having so much of the race be outside the parks with no entertainment but I didn't need to. Tons of cheerleaders, a few bands, Angels Stadium and numerous other things really added to the race. Though I kind of wish we ran in the parks at the end as well.

Oh I also waited in line for two pictures. Had planned to get my picture with Thor but that line was so long it scared me away. Oh well!

I agree with you! I posted on another thread that I liked the course for the most part. My only other rundisney race has been Tink. And though the park time is great for Tink, once you're off Disney property its just a long run through the city streets with nothing to aim for except the finish. With Avengers, once you were off Disney property there were at least things you knew to look for; Crystal Cathedral, the river trail, Angels Stadium. It definitely helped break it up and the time went by much faster for me. Don't get me wrong, I'd love another mile of park time somehow but I liked the way the street portion was broken out.

I have to admit though that I'm almost scared to register for next years race thanks to those winds. I know theres no way to predict them and technically they can happen in January for Star Wars too. But just knowing that November is a common month for them kinda has me scared. I dont ever want to do that again!

Great picture!

I mostly enjoyed the race. I thought the race swag was meh at best and only bought a ball cap; thankfully I really like the actual race shirt. The big spoiler was that somehow RunDisney didn't save my friend's time when she registered, so she was seeded in the last corral instead of ahead of me where she belonged. It would have been nice to be up with others near our pace because the first few miles were hard to get to a point where we could run.

The wind was crazy, and I was thankful that I went back up to my room and grabbed my sunglasses when I had the chance. DC winds can be killer during the winter, but running through a sandstorm isn't something I plan for. Also wasn't a huge fan of the trail portion, again it was hard to work around people in such narrow quarters. And the tumbleweeds didn't help much.

I loved the cosplayers and re-enactors on either side of Angels Stadium and it was cool to run in the park. Didn't stop for any character pictures - the lines were way too long. I'd do it again, mostly for the theme and the chance to run with local friends, but hope for better weather next time.

I had a good run (other than the wind). It was my first RunDisney event at Disneyland, so I had no idea what to expect for the course or how I'd do. I completed it in 1:54:33 so I was pretty happy with that despite the wind that never ended.

One of the downsides of the race being off Disney property is that there wasn't a lot of photo ops (which I didn't do anyways) but it was nice to see when I've done the Tower of Terror races at WDW. After you left Disneyland property it was pretty sparse but not unexpected. I did love that all the marching bands and cheerleaders were out in full force that early in the morning and the cosplayers in Superhero gear and 1940s Army gear were pretty cool.

I had a good run (other than the wind). It was my first RunDisney event at Disneyland, so I had no idea what to expect for the course or how I'd do. I completed it in 1:54:33 so I was pretty happy with that despite the wind that never ended.

One of the downsides of the race being off Disney property is that there wasn't a lot of photo ops (which I didn't do anyways) but it was nice to see when I've done the Tower of Terror races at WDW. After you left Disneyland property it was pretty sparse but not unexpected. I did love that all the marching bands and cheerleaders were out in full force that early in the morning and the cosplayers in Superhero gear and 1940s Army gear were pretty cool.

GREAT job! Ok, so I'm nosy and looked you up--you must have passed me pretty close to the end of the race because in your pictures--you can see a girl running in an orange vest? She and I ran together for about the last mile and a half (maybe even more) of the race. Then she was able to pull ahead of me at the end. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter