Official Birthday/Anniversary Cake thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just curious to know if you can request either a white chocolate or dark chocolate slipper at CRT? Also, can we request the filling? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Which Publix is the best to go to from Beach Club? How far is it? Are their grocery prices good there as well? We want to make a grocery run, but usually go to the Winn Dixie.

W/D groceries are usually a little cheaper on what they have than Publix is. The selection is much better @ Publix though. We have a Publix & W/D across the street from each other & almost always go to Publix. On their site, www.publix.com, you can look up the sales for the week you'll be there to do more strategic shopping. They do have Buy One Get One deals, like W/D does. Sorry, I don't know where the closest Publix is in relation to WDW.

We will be having my husband's 50th birthday dinner at CRT on his actual birthday. I've already noted it on our reservations.

I'd love to get a small cake or special dessert for him. Any suggestions? Any pictures or links where I can see what's available? I know people have posted pictures, but it's now so long it's nearly impossible to find anything any longer :(

I know they will deliver souvenirs back to the resort, but what about leftover cake? :confused3 I think probably not, but I thought it might be worth asking.

We are going to try to do Lunch or Dinner at CRT to celebrate my niece's BDay. Last time we ordered a larger cake to get the personalization that she wanted and we had so much cake leftover we took it back to the resort.

If we get lunch reservations, I am sure we are not going to want carry around a cake all day. Thanks!

I was just curious to know if you can request either a white chocolate or dark chocolate slipper at CRT? Also, can we request the filling? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I wonder this too and to piggyback on another question, can it be ordered anywhere on property or only certain restaurants?

Just got home from DD's 3rd b-day trip including ordering a cake with dinner at CRT. I must say the cake was a bit disappointing after the cakes we had for her 1st b-day at WDW.

I have mixed feelings on our cake from the Poly.

It was delivered to the dock and we had it on the boat while watching Wishes.

I ordered it and spoke directly with the chef. I sent a photo of what I had in mind and we discussed it on the phone while both of us looked at the picture.

What I ordered was a 10" white cake with chocolate frosting and a custard and strawberry filling. The chef said the decorations would be white chocolate on top of the chocolate frosting. Apparently they used a few random drops of white chocolate and used white chocolate for the words and the rest was regular white frosting. I wish they had done just one or the other. It looks kind of dumb having the off white of the white chocolate and the pure white of the frosting together...

I feel like the decorating job was lousy. It was messy looking and very disappointing. :sad2: :headache:

The cake itself was tasty and the strawberries had just the right bit of tart to them. They were nice and fresh. One of the gals who was on the boat with us is a chef and she said that she usually doesn't finish a whole slice of cake but that this was really good and she ate it all. ;)

Here is the original photo I sent the chef:

cakerqst.jpg

Here is the mess we got:

cake1.jpg

cake2.jpg

I'm sorry, but for the cost, and knowing it was supposed to be done by PROFESSIONALS I think it is a very sloppy job. It's off center and just not attractive. :mad: I think someone off the street with just a FEW cake decorating classes could have done a nicer job!!!

A shot of the cake after being cut -- look at those yummy fresh strawberries!

cake3.jpg

I was thinking of getting a cake at the Poly when we eat at Ohanna's, but I am really not liking what I see. I don't think we are going to have a cake on this trip. I just thought it would be fun, but I really do not like paying for something I have not seen. We will be at the boardwalk and DTD the first couple of nights, maybe I will check them out.

The decorating is very pretty, the writing leaves something to be desired. I am sorry you were disappointed, and I do hope your celebration wasn't dampened by the cake, hope you had a great time in spite of it. Was it tasty?

Here's a pic of our anniversary cake made at Yachtsman Steakhouse by their pastry chef. We LOVED it! Perhaps it's all in the pastry chef??:confused3

ry%3D400

Diane, that's a BEAUTIFUL cake!! I've only read positive reviews of the chef, staff, dinners, etc. at Yachtsman. Thanks for sharing the picture.

Diane - as I posted, yes, it tasted quite good. The strawberries in the filling were very fresh and added the perfect touch to the flavor.
I'm not so silly as to let something like that affect the evening -- but I do think it was a fair comment that it did not look professional. Without even considering the incredibly beautiful sugar flowers your cake had, it was far superior in it's craftsmanship than the cake we received.
Like I said - mixed feelings on it--- it tasted good, but the design was disappointing and quite amateurish. I know the pastry chef did not do the decorating, but sadly, it is a reflection on him that the cake was delivered looking like it did.

I dropped the chef an e-mail with the image of the cake. I thanked him for a tasty cake and then shared my thoughts on the decorating. I am in no way seeking any compensation for it. I just want him to be aware that his decorator(s) need more training before passing an expensive cake on to guests.

The decorating is very pretty, the writing leaves something to be desired. I am sorry you were disappointed, and I do hope your celebration wasn't dampened by the cake, hope you had a great time in spite of it. Was it tasty?

Here's a pic of our anniversary cake made at Yachtsman Steakhouse by their pastry chef. We LOVED it! Perhaps it's all in the pastry chef??:confused3

ry%3D400

Diane -

Did the flowers get back home with you in one piece or did they break?

Brenda

I have mixed feelings on our cake from the Poly.

It was delivered to the dock and we had it on the boat while watching Wishes.

I ordered it and spoke directly with the chef. I sent a photo of what I had in mind and we discussed it on the phone while both of us looked at the picture.

What I ordered was a 10" white cake with chocolate frosting and a custard and strawberry filling. The chef said the decorations would be white chocolate on top of the chocolate frosting. Apparently they used a few random drops of white chocolate and used white chocolate for the words and the rest was regular white frosting. I wish they had done just one or the other. It looks kind of dumb having the off white of the white chocolate and the pure white of the frosting together...

I feel like the decorating job was lousy. It was messy looking and very disappointing. :sad2: :headache:

The cake itself was tasty and the strawberries had just the right bit of tart to them. They were nice and fresh. One of the gals who was on the boat with us is a chef and she said that she usually doesn't finish a whole slice of cake but that this was really good and she ate it all. ;)

Here is the original photo I sent the chef:

cakerqst.jpg

Here is the mess we got:

cake1.jpg

cake2.jpg

I'm sorry, but for the cost, and knowing it was supposed to be done by PROFESSIONALS I think it is a very sloppy job. It's off center and just not attractive. :mad: I think someone off the street with just a FEW cake decorating classes could have done a nicer job!!!

A shot of the cake after being cut -- look at those yummy fresh strawberries!

cake3.jpg

Wow, I decorate cakes myself. And yes, I could have done a so much better job. My guess is that they had someone who was not quite ready do the decorating. I can see that they "tried" to copy the design. But you are right. It looks very amateurish. I for one would have insisted on some money back.

As one who decorates and know what it actually "costs" to make a cake, I say that you got a bit ripped off. I have ordered many cakes from WDW for different occasions. I too would have been extremely dissappointed, as I expect more for the cost and expected professional decorating.

If I were you, I would send the pic of what you expected and of what you recieved to someone in management and request some money back.
(oops, I did not read on that you had e-mailed the chef. Glad you did though. And I for one, hope that he does give some sort of compensation)

Just my humble opinion.
Blessings,
Winnie

Diane -

Did the flowers get back home with you in one piece or did they break?

Brenda

Wow you remembered, thanks! Well, to tell you the truth, I had it all packed up and ready to go, but each of us had our carry-on's and I was worried about the rush through security, what with pulling out my laptop and putting through my bag with camera, mp3 player, etc, so when my daughter said to me "mom, what are you going to do with this when we get home? You'll put it in the freezer for 3 months and then toss it!", and I did agree that that's what I'd most likely do, so I took 20 pictures and left it there:confused3

And, the pictures are really serving me well. I made a gorgeous photobook of the whole event and day and cake on shutterfly, with a close up of the cake as the cover - it's perfect!

Diane - as I posted, yes, it tasted quite good. The strawberries in the filling were very fresh and added the perfect touch to the flavor.
I'm not so silly as to let something like that affect the evening -- but I do think it was a fair comment that it did not look professional. Without even considering the incredibly beautiful sugar flowers your cake had, it was far superior in it's craftsmanship than the cake we received.
Like I said - mixed feelings on it--- it tasted good, but the design was disappointing and quite amateurish. I know the pastry chef did not do the decorating, but sadly, it is a reflection on him that the cake was delivered looking like it did.

I dropped the chef an e-mail with the image of the cake. I thanked him for a tasty cake and then shared my thoughts on the decorating. I am in no way seeking any compensation for it. I just want him to be aware that his decorator(s) need more training before passing an expensive cake on to guests.

I'd have done the exact same thing. I'm glad you enjoyed eating it and I'm glad you enjoyed your celebration!:)

I have seen beautiful cakes from YC and BC. Also some nice ones from GF. I just don't think the pastry chef at the Poly is into making cakes. I refuse to spend 50 dollars on a cake or more, and get something I hate. If anyone has some nice looking cakes from the poly, please post some pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter