Official Castaway Cay 5K Thread

They have a large bin at the starting line to leave your stuff or take it to the beach first. Going back and forth to the ship after the race will turn your 5k to an 8k

What are the nuts and bolts of how the morning goes for the race? My wife and i are considering running it. Our kids are 14 and 12. Do people go back to ship to get stuff for day at CC or do they bring and drop stuff somewhere? Is course straight line or double back on itself? I thought i saw youtube of someone who passed people on way to finish. We have 2 stops at CC so will there be race both days? any info we need to know about it?
thanks
mikewdw

Hi, I've done CC5K for the past 4 years and just got back from another last week. At the starting line there is a large crate that people can put their day bags in. You also walk from the ship to the start line, passing almost all of the beaches. So you could toss your stuff onto a chair if you so desire as well. (Be mindful of valuables). After the race, I head into the bathroom nearby and change and head to the beach. It isn't particularly convenient to get back to the ship, especially in the amount of time it would take (since I like to maximize my time on the Island). It's probably about 15 minutes total in walking from the finish line to the boat. You can take the tram as well.

The course is essentially and out and back course retracing the path. It also doesn't measure a true 5k.

One of the years we did a double dip cruise. They only offered the race the first day, and not the second. Other cruises they do it both days. So no matter what, check the navigator or ask guest services/port adventures when you have a chance. They'll know what they are doing for your voyage.

Have a good race and stay hydrated!

Where are the character photo ops? I was thinking they’d be when we’re heading off the ship, but if we’re disembarking for the 5k earlier than everyone else and not heading back onto the ship, I’m afraid I’ll miss them?

I just did the 5K on the Fantasy and noticed the coordination for the race is different than previous years.

Runners no longer met on the ship before going together to the starting point. I signed up at Guest Services the day before, and was told to just leave the island and go to the starting point for the race on my own (near the bike rentals). I was asked to get there by 10:15am, as they were having staggered starting times of 9:45am, 10am, and 10:15am.

With that said, I think we arrived at Castaway Cay later than scheduled, as we were not allowed off the ship until approximately 9:45am. My son and I headed to the starting point once we could get off the ship, and you receive your race number at the starting point on the island. We were told we could just start running right away, as the timer had already started, so we noted the time we started the race just so we could track our times.

I just did the 5K on the Fantasy and noticed the coordination for the race is different than previous years.

Runners no longer met on the ship before going together to the starting point. I signed up at Guest Services the day before, and was told to just leave the island and go to the starting point for the race on my own (near the bike rentals). I was asked to get there by 10:15am, as they were having staggered starting times of 9:45am, 10am, and 10:15am.

With that said, I think we arrived at Castaway Cay later than scheduled, as we were not allowed off the ship until approximately 9:45am. My son and I headed to the starting point once we could get off the ship, and you receive your race number at the starting point on the island. We were told we could just start running right away, as the timer had already started, so we noted the time we started the race just so we could track our times.

This sounds very disorganized to me. I have done numerous CC5K's and it seems to change each time a little... the last few times you are pushing your way through all the other guests getting off the cruise at the same time - no more getting off ahead of everyone else so you can get to the start line and get moving before the island fills up. But what you are describing seems like it would be total ciaos trying to get your number and do the run/walk. And the start times do seem late. I am usually done with the race (I walk it in about 50 minutes) and am back on the ship having breakfast with DH at Cabanas before they close. Then go shower and head back to the island for a swim and then lunch.

This sounds very disorganized to me. I have done numerous CC5K's and it seems to change each time a little... the last few times you are pushing your way through all the other guests getting off the cruise at the same time - no more getting off ahead of everyone else so you can get to the start line and get moving before the island fills up. But what you are describing seems like it would be total ciaos trying to get your number and do the run/walk. And the start times do seem late. I am usually done with the race (I walk it in about 50 minutes) and am back on the ship having breakfast with DH at Cabanas before they close. Then go shower and head back to the island for a swim and then lunch.

I do feel we were done later than previous times I have run the race. When I have a limited time on Castaway Cay, I want to run the race and get to the other fun activities I had planned. With that said, the Fantasy had to change course the day before to help a sailboat with a medical emergency. I'm unsure if that had any affect on the potential start times when I signed up.

While it may feel a little chaotic, I think these changes are meant to convey the race is zero pressure and just for fun. Just get off the boat, show up and run/walk. I'm good with it, but agree I want to get back to my day as quickly as possible.

Where are the character photo ops? I was thinking they’d be when we’re heading off the ship, but if we’re disembarking for the 5k earlier than everyone else and not heading back onto the ship, I’m afraid I’ll miss them?

They are in different spots. If you have the Navigator app, once you board you'll be able to see all character photo ops for the entire cruise, and you can plan around them.

With that said, I think we arrived at Castaway Cay later than scheduled, as we were not allowed off the ship until approximately 9:45am.

I think that the late arrival could well be a reason for the weirdness.

I have done numerous CC5K's and it seems to change each time a little... the last few times you are pushing your way through all the other guests getting off the cruise at the same time - no more getting off ahead of everyone else so you can get to the start line and get moving before the island fills up.

I started doing the 5K on the island in February 2013 and I think I've had 4 others plus the paid one after marathon weekend, and the paid one was the ONLY time I've *ever* gotten off the ship before anyone else. That aspect of it has always been different depending on what cruise you're on. So that's not a recent change. you've been lucky that you've started so early; for the free 5Ks I've always been dodging normal beach-goers' photo moments while briskly walking with the rest getting to the start line.

No characters on course (except maybe the ‘challenge ‘ in January
I double backed to mount rustmore to meet Minnie after my run back in October (Goofy was also meeting in the general area) and down to Marges Barges for Jack Sparrow in April 2017 like PP said look at the navigator for times

Walked the 5K last Friday (sailed on the Fantasy Western Caribbean last week). Fantasy arrived at CK on time, so all ashore was 8:30 am. I walked from ship to start/finish line (and back after colpleting the course). They were distributing 5K bibs at the starting point by the bike rentals starting about 8:45. I actually arrived just before 9 and used my Garmin wristwatch GPS to time myself and check distance, but I noted that the large running clock showed just short of 15 minutes when I started my walk.

I have frequently seen reports that the CK 5K is not true to distance, and the Garmin confirmed this, although I easily made up the shortage on my walk back to the ship since it was less than 100 meters. Next time, I will simply extend my turnaround point at the Serenity Bay end by continuing across the runway to the water dispenser that was located near the tram stop, grap some water and retrace my path back to the statrting point.

Just got off the Wonder. We disembarked with everyone else. I think bib distribution took longer than usual as there were 270ish people running it I think they said. They were laughing because they said the Dream has “twice as many passengers as the Wonder and we *never* have this many runners!”. The bin to drop off items was more than overflowing, so we dropped our stuff on the beach.

I heard they change the “medals” every year, but mine doesn’t have a year on it so I can’t really tell....does anyone know if they still change them?

Well, we just got off the Fantasy and DH and I did the 5K again. For all my concerns about the race now being disorganized I have to say it went off without a hitch. We went to guest services early in the cruise to inquire about the changes and they said that they offered multiple start times. We signed up for the 9am. Not having to meet at the theatre gave me an extra 30 minutes or more of sleep which was nice. We got off the boat at 8:30 and walked to the start area. We arrived about 10 minutes before 9. We were about 10th in line to get our bibs. just before 9 they started the clock and off we went. There was no mass of people on the path it was quiet and we didn't run into a lot of people on the path until our second loop. We walked the race in 50 minutes and were back on the boat for breakfast by 10:15. So, the change for me was an improvement.

@lilmc the medals used to be dated for the year on the ribbon, but it appears they have stopped doing that. We have cruised twice this year and the medals are the same. My last dated medal was the one from 2017.

I heard they change the “medals” every year, but mine doesn’t have a year on it so I can’t really tell....does anyone know if they still change them?

The current medals really only got started later in 2015 (after the paid 5K started and they decided to start giving fancy medals to free 5K people, too), and I think it was 2016 when they did the lanyard thing, or maybe it was truly seen in 2017? Anyway, it hasn't been that long, and I think they are still deciding how they'll do this. :)

We will be on the Dream 1/14-1/18. It looks like our CC Day is the day of the RunDisney 5K. Is there a separate race for those who aren’t participating? My wife was considering running but not for $80.

We will be on the Dream 1/14-1/18. It looks like our CC Day is the day of the RunDisney 5K. Is there a separate race for those who aren’t participating? My wife was considering running but not for $80.

As I understand it, yes. There will be the runDisney one for those who have paid for the challenge, and that will be a timed, legitimate 5K, and then there will be the free "fun" run which is not timed and not a true 5K. That is how it has been in the past anyway.

As I understand it, yes. There will be the runDisney one for those who have paid for the challenge, and that will be a timed, legitimate 5K, and then there will be the free "fun" run which is not timed and not a true 5K. That is how it has been in the past anyway.

Yes, this is correct,or at least how it has been in the past. DH and I did the CC Challenge in 2016, running the official race at the crack of dawn. Once that was over and we were back on the ship, DS was our running the regular one. As for it being timed however, there is a time clock over the start/finish line, however it is not an official timed race as there are no chips in the bibs. You just sort of guess based on what the time was when you crossed the start line. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter