OFFICIAL CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY SEASON & NEW YEAR'S 2017 THREAD

So, let's talk candy canes! When do they release the dates for the camdy canes? And how early do you need to be in line to be close to the front?

I was telling DH about these and I want to get 1 or 2 of them :goodvibes. He graciously said he would wait in line so that the rest of us won't have to and we could go and do something else. The only thing is our first day in the parks is on Christmas Day, which DCA has EMH, we are already planning on heading over there for EMH before heading over to DL for the rest of the day, just wondering how early does DH have to get in line, I am assuming that the line will be massive on Christmas morning.

Someone directed me here: http://diningatdisney.com/maximizing-the-fun-of-your-disneyland-candy-cane-experience/ and it was helpful. Not sure how commited I am to it. :scratchin
Beware. I never bothered to try and get one, mainly because I'm not that interested in having a giant candy cane (or spending that much money for one). But then about 3 or 4 years ago my sister and I were wandering past the candy store in DCA and a CM practically grabbed us off the sidewalk to give us each one of the coveted bracelets. We thought, "why not?" and went back at the proper time and got our canes, which were still warm. I thought, "jeez, it's not hard at all to get one of these." But the next year when we went to get one in DL (because we were hooked on the adventure of it all), the line was huge and we were way too late. It then became a sort of obsession. I've never actually eaten mine, but my sister assures me they are delicious if you eat it while it's fresh. I have no idea why I now have this mission to score a candy cane that I have no intention of eating, but like I said, beware.

We will be catching the last week of the holiday festivities! We will be staying at the GCV from 1/2 - 1/8.....celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and my birthday! :yay:

We stumbled across the candy canes last year during our Thanksgiving trip. When we were waiting on Main Street, we saw a line forming, asked what it was for and got in line. They were super efficient with handing out the bracelets, so we had done that and had our picture taken with the special sign all before rope drop. The candy canes are delicious!

We stumbled across the candy canes last year during our Thanksgiving trip. When we were waiting on Main Street, we saw a line forming, asked what it was for and got in line. They were super efficient with handing out the bracelets, so we had done that and had our picture taken with the special sign all before rope drop. The candy canes are delicious!
What's the difference between the fresh candy canes and a non-fresh candy cane? I think I'm just not understanding the hype of it all.

So we ended up getting candy canes a few years ago to start our must buy it tradition when they were giving out wristbands to anyone during an emh- we grabbed 2 with no wait and went on our way. Of course they are kinda softer and the mint is not too strong and SO good so the next year or two the lines were longer but we waited because the kids and I love them- we get at least 2 every year now. I think there is no difference between fresh and the "not fresh" aka made the night before ones really, except you can see yours being made haha but now we do it for the point of the experience! We love getting the wristband, coming back, it's always packaged carefully in case you want to bring it home and they are still warm when you get them! Something special about the fresh ones that you just don't quite grasp until you do it and try it and the lightbulb turns on the obsession lol I'd say get one and see how you like it- I have a feeling you'll be in like next year with us lol

Also we did the fun photos last year while in line- it had the date and prop candy canes and was in front of the candy shop and it was SO cute!

What's the difference between the fresh candy canes and a non-fresh candy cane? I think I'm just not understanding the hype of it all.

I don't think they have non fresh candy canes for sale, do they? I mean, anything of this size. I think they make 120 a day and they sell out each day. I think that's the hype of it. I may try it this year. I'd like to see what the hype is all about :)

I don't know the difference to be honest. We got in line because it was short, we were waiting for rope drop anyway and to say we had done it. It was an added bonus that the candy canes were actually really good. They are softer (and much larger) than any regular candy cane I've seen/had before. I don't know if they sell these particular ones without a wristband - hopefully somebody can answer that.

I WANT THE GARLAND BACK UP ON MAIN STREET!!!! Can you hear me Disney? I miss it so much. I loved PTN, but the sacrifice of the Christmas Garland really bummed me out. I just can not wait to see the park all lit up for Christmas again this year! We are bringing our Cousins and God Daughter for her first Disney trip and I am so excited to share all the Christmas magic with them all!!!!!

Here we go...I love all things Christmas and particularly DLR at Christmas time...However, while I love the garland on the buildings on Main Street, I was never fond of the garland crossing the street. Why? It obstructed the views (and photos) from the Town Square tree to the snow and icicle lit castle. One of my favorite things is to try and get a photo from atop the MS train platform and include the tree and castle in one frame...hard to do with the garland crossing the street. And while it looked magical underneath at night with everything lit up, it just seemed cluttered and unnecessary during the day. Guess I am more of a minimalist that I thought. Just my unsolicited $2 opinion.

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but per Webmaster Mary Jo on last Sunday's DIS Disneyland Podcast, she is thinking the Candlelight Processional will be the 9th and 10th. She said they haven't done the show the first weekend of December when the first falls on a Friday. They don't advertise the Candlelight Processional because it's an "invitation only" event. So, I guess we will just have to wait and see.

So here's a question that popped into my mind: For Christmas night dinner, I was thinking of booking Steakhouse 55 (because STEAK!) but I heard that PPH has a themed buffet where characters might make an appearance? Yes? No?

Where would you go for dinner that night? Family of 4 - the girls don't eat much and their favourite Disney food is PB&J Pizza from Goofy's.

Can anyone help me out with this? Is there a Christmas dinner at PPH which may be more fun for kids?

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but per Webmaster Mary Jo on last Sunday's DIS Disneyland Podcast, she is thinking the Candlelight Processional will be the 9th and 10th. She said they haven't done the show the first weekend of December when the first falls on a Friday. They don't advertise the Candlelight Processional because it's an "invitation only" event. So, I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Interesting! I booked the day after the projected CP weekend (Dec 5-6) to be as close as possible without being there for it. If it really is going to be the next weekend, I would have preferred the week prior to our reservation time.

i forgot about CP -- booked dec 5 to 9 for DS 8th birthday hoping crowds wouldn't be too bad!!!

Interesting! I booked the day after the projected CP weekend (Dec 5-6) to be as close as possible without being there for it. If it really is going to be the next weekend, I would have preferred the week prior to our reservation time.

Here we go...I love all things Christmas and particularly DLR at Christmas time...However, while I love the garland on the buildings on Main Street, I was never fond of the garland crossing the street. Why? It obstructed the views (and photos) from the Town Square tree to the snow and icicle lit castle. One of my favorite things is to try and get a photo from atop the MS train platform and include the tree and castle in one frame...hard to do with the garland crossing the street. And while it looked magical underneath at night with everything lit up, it just seemed cluttered and unnecessary during the day. Guess I am more of a minimalist that I thought. Just my unsolicited $2 opinion.

I can understand your point. I am not a photographer and I actually like the look of the garland being "in the way" when taking a picture up or down main street. Either way, the parks are still my favorite place to be at Christmas!!!!

According to this website, which appears to be an official Disney site, the Processional will take place December 2 and 3. http://www.disneylandevents.com/candlelight/

I don't think they have non fresh candy canes for sale, do they? I mean, anything of this size. I think they make 120 a day and they sell out each day. I think that's the hype of it. I may try it this year. I'd like to see what the hype is all about :)
Yes- they make "non fresh" that night before so they are still fresh just not made in the park. Same taste, just again not made in the park. They will tell people in the wristband line if they don't want to wait the pre-made candy canes are for sale right then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter