Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I got married at WDW back in June and we had 2 different cakes as part of our reception. The groom's cake was a marble cake with the Tanzanian Chocolate Mousse and the wedding cake was a Red Velvet with Cream Cheese frosting.

We are returning to WDW this November 24-30 for a 6 night split stay at Coronado Springs and Bay Lake Tower and I wanted to surprise my wife with 6" mini versions of our two cakes from the wedding. I would like to order both through The Boardwalk Bakery as this was the team that did our wedding cakes. I don't need fondant on either cake as they are not for show...just for us to enjoy during our stay. I would be picking each up directly from The Boardwalk Bakery as I don't believe that cakes made there can be delivered to either of the resorts we are staying at.

Ultimately, what I'm trying to determine is if what I have planned is feasible and, if so, is there a direct number to order these through The Boardwalk Bakery? I tried going through the Cake Hotline and the menu options seem to keep leading me in circles.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

What flavor are those? Do you know how much they generally run?

All of this information is in Post #2 under Animal Kingdom Lodge: http://www.disboards.com/threads/official-disney-cake-chatter-part-iv.3261922/#post-51165285

:thumbsup2

My wife and I got married at WDW back in June and we had 2 different cakes as part of our reception. The groom's cake was a marble cake with the Tanzanian Chocolate Mousse and the wedding cake was a Red Velvet with Cream Cheese frosting.

We are returning to WDW this November 24-30 for a 6 night split stay at Coronado Springs and Bay Lake Tower and I wanted to surprise my wife with 6" mini versions of our two cakes from the wedding. I would like to order both through The Boardwalk Bakery as this was the team that did our wedding cakes. I don't need fondant on either cake as they are not for show...just for us to enjoy during our stay. I would be picking each up directly from The Boardwalk Bakery as I don't believe that cakes made there can be delivered to either of the resorts we are staying at.

Ultimately, what I'm trying to determine is if what I have planned is feasible and, if so, is there a direct number to order these through The Boardwalk Bakery? I tried going through the Cake Hotline and the menu options seem to keep leading me in circles.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Hi Rob! You can definitely order both of these cakes for delivery directly to your room at Bay Lake Tower by calling the number for the Contemporary listed in Post #2 of this thread: http://www.disboards.com/threads/official-disney-cake-chatter-part-iv.3261922/#post-51165285

I would advise that you do it that way instead of hassling with picking them up at BoardWalk Bakery and trying to get them to let you have these non-standard flavors. All the Disney-run pastry teams on property use the same recipes, so it doesn't matter where you order from. They'll taste the same.

Thanks so much for the quick response! Surprisingly, I did manage to get through to the right person at Boardwalk Bakery and just got off the phone with them a few minutes ago. They were able to accommodate both the 6" cakes I wanted and I was VERY surprised at the prices (granted, I didn't want any fondant or design work on them). They quoted me $23 for a 6" marble cake with Tanzanian Chocolate mousse and chocolate buttercream and $33 for the Red Velvet with cream cheese frosting.

Since the plan was to have one cake during our first 3 nights at Coronado Springs and the other for our last 3 nights at BLT I will likely cancel the Red Velvet cake from Boardwalk Bakery and just have that delivered via the Contemporary to Bay Lake Towers when we check-in there...it's good to know that it'll be the same cake! Picking up the other cake at Boardwalk Bakery won't be an issue since we will be over there the first day anyways. That should set us up nicely for our trip!

Have a great day!

Rob

I ordered the Zebra Dome cake for $45 at Sanaa and it was delicious. I will post a picture when I can. There was 6 of us with tons of left overs to help us survive the Hurricane.

I sent an email to inquire about ordering a mini cake for Chef Mickey's for our dec trip and they wrote back and said I had to call the cake hot line. I guess I will have to call, thought I could do it by email. I wanted to be able to send picture of what I was looking for. I will call and see what they say.

I sent an email to inquire about ordering a mini cake for Chef Mickey's for our dec trip and they wrote back and said I had to call the cake hot line. I guess I will have to call, thought I could do it by email. I wanted to be able to send picture of what I was looking for. I will call and see what they say.
Even if you call you can ask for an email to send your pictures to so they can see what you're looking for.

looking to order a 1st Birthday cake for my DS when we are down there. Thinking mini cake would be fun and work. Anyone have any pictures or ideas that they would like to share :)

Just back from our Disney vacation - *Sigh* Disney Withdrawals. But we had two fun cake experiences while we were there - I'll make separate posts for them.

This one was originally going to be a cake delivered to a boat for our private fireworks cruise - we were so looking forward to this and then Hurricane Matthew threw a wrench in that plan. That's right - it was scheduled for this past Friday (aka only the fourth time in history that Disney World has closed). That was disappointing, as we went to WDW with some of our best friends and we were all staying together and this was our "sendoff" surprise before we went home. Well, Britney at the Yacht Club called me that morning and said that they would love to still deliver the cake to our room if we wanted it - even though we weren't staying at one of the Epcot Resorts (Bay Lake Tower). I was so happy to hear from her - while we wouldn't be experiencing a fun fireworks cruise, this still salvaged the fun surprise for our friends and all of our kids!

Now to the cake itself - because I was picking one out for nine people (five of them children) and some liked vanilla and others liked chocolate, I went for a happy medium. I chose an 8" marble cake with chocolate buttercream frosting and filling. I went through a lot of ideas for themes, but ultimately asked for orange fondant with spiderwebs and a few Mickey Pumpkins - we all did the Halloween Party together at the beginning of the week, so it seemed appropriate. I was originally quoted $96 for the cake and delivery and gratuity when it was to be delivered to the marina. However, when I talked to Britney that morning, she said that the delivery and gratuity fee would now no longer be applied - I'm not really sure why (they delivered it across the property, not just outside the resort to the boat, but maybe they funneled the cake request to the Contemporary in all the chaos). At any rate, we weren't in the hotel room when it was delivered, so I didn't get to ask, but was pleased that it was now $76.

Overall I was very happy with it - it wasn't how I envisioned (spiderwebs all over the cake - but that was my fault for not stipulating that exact request) and when I said Mickey Pumpkins, I was thinking more along the lines of what is in Magic Kingdom on every lamppost, but what we ended up with was adorable and original!

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1189 (1).jpg

IMG_1190 (1).jpg

For our second cake experience, we went to CRT the next morning (one of my best friend's and her daughter and my daughter). We arranged for two mini-cakes to be delivered after we ate to celebrate our Girls Day. Her daughter told her before the trip that Snow White was her favorite princess, so that was her cake, while my daughter is very firmly a Rapunzel fan. I emailed MK cakes and had a response within minutes and over the course of that afternoon, all details were worked out.

We both wanted white cake with white frosting and I told them the colors we'd like for each cake and that we wanted it "Snow White-esque" and "Rapunzel-esque" (basically Baker's Choice on how to do that). I think the cakes were around $50, but honestly don't remember. They were delicious! I was more impressed with the taste of the mini cake than the 8", but that was only because these were fully thawed. The 8" was very good, but the buttercream frosting that we used for filling was a little too thick - not icy, it wasn't frozen, just not as soft and creamy as it normally would be. The mini cake however, was great! Ours was a little lopsided, but the stomach knows not lopsided :goodvibes.

I was very satisfied with both cake experiences and wouldn't hesitate to do it again! Which I will when I go back on our next trip (my birthday!!).

Snow.jpg

IMG_1185 (1).jpg

IMG_1186 (1).jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

I was very satisfied with both cake experiences and wouldn't hesitate to do it again! Which I will when I go back on our next trip (my birthday!!).

Thanks for posting such a great, detailed account of your experience! :thumbsup2

I'm new to disboards but not new to Disney. I read this entire thread and thought I knew what to do but apparently not!

We are going to Disney Sunday and I thought about ordering a cake for pick up at Boardwalk Bakery on Wed night. I can't figure out how the heck I am supposed to do that. I tried calling the cake hotline but there was no option for the Bakery. What am I missing here?

The number for ordering cakes at the BoardWalk is in the second post of this thread. I haven't put the direct line for BoardWalk Bakery in the post in the past, because it is much easier to place the order through BoardWalk Inn Private Dining. If you call the Bakery directly, they will tell you that the options are limited to what's on the order form behind their counter. Private Dining can put you in touch with a pastry chef if you need to send inspiration photos or want to work out the details of a complicated order.

Thank you! That makes sense. For some reason I just thought I could call the bakery directly, since I was picking it up.

Oh you totally can! I just know we've seen a lot of disappointed DISers posting here that when they called the Bakery directly, they were told "no" to most of what they asked for.

Well if they are going to tell me no on everything, I definitely don't want to call them! Thank you for all your information. Prior to reading this thread, I had no idea you could even order a cake at Disney. That's one thing I love about it, no matter how many times you go or how much you read, you can always learn new things and experiences that exist at Disney

I have been working with Magic Kingdom cakes for something Lumiere themed to be delivered to our dinner at BOG. Started by asking for a one tier mini cake. They said it would be $45 with a 2D Lumiere on top and decorated to look like the cake he sings on top of in the movie. (I had sent them a picture for reference.) however they were unable to do any of the fillings I asked for so paying that much for a cake the size of a cupcake pretty much wasn't sitting well with me. I asked if she could do a Lumiere themed cupcake like the Princess and Prince ones. She said they could do a "vanilla thened cupcake with a 2D image of Lumiere on top for $10". Sign me up! I have asked them to write Good luck Jan & Gretchen on the plate. Hopefully that's not too long. If so I'll just ask for Good luck and or initials I think. I figure we can split the cupcake and still enjoy dessert off the cart if we desire. I was a little bummed about the cake, but am super happy with the budget friendly option we came up with! I'll post a picture after we receive it early November!

This sounds perfect to me - can't wait to see pics! I usually order the mini cakes cause we don't want to waste any, and I'm always in sticker shock. So cupcakes would be PERFECT for us. But now I'm reading this thread backwards and am I reading correctly that they won't be offering cupcakes in 2017? They really need options like that for people who don't want cakes. We'll be at Crystal Palace for my twins' bday and I'd love a fancy cupcake for each girl....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!