Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

IMG_3984.JPG IMG_3992.JPG Just celebrated my husband's birthday at California Grill and surprised him with an Up-themed cake. It was absolutely perfect -- better than I even imagined. It was also very fresh and delicious.

It's just the two of us on this trip, so we're going to be eating cake all week!

View attachment 270283 View attachment 270284 Just celebrated my husband's birthday at California Grill and surprised him with an Up-themed cake. It was absolutely perfect -- better than I even imagined. It was also very fresh and delicious.

It's just the two of us on this trip, so we're going to be eating cake all week!
This is beautiful! Was it something you planned out, or did you just ask for an Up themed and they came up with this?

I love the Contemporary's pastry team!

This is beautiful! Was it something you planned out, or did you just ask for an Up themed and they came up with this?

I love the Contemporary's pastry team!
Thank you. It was a collaborative effort. I knew I didn't want the 2-D characters, and I knew I wanted the movie's key elements. The AMAZING team at the Contemporary came up with the primary design. I just asked that they add a grape soda pin.

It was just perfect. I'm thrilled with it, and my husband was completely surprised!

Thank you. It was a collaborative effort. I knew I didn't want the 2-D characters, and I knew I wanted the movie's key elements. The AMAZING team at the Contemporary came up with the primary design. I just asked that they add a grape soda pin.

It was just perfect. I'm thrilled with it, and my husband was completely surprised!
I love the attention to detail, and the soda pin you requested! Glad it worked out and that he was surprised! :-)

View attachment 270283 View attachment 270284 Just celebrated my husband's birthday at California Grill and surprised him with an Up-themed cake. It was absolutely perfect -- better than I even imagined. It was also very fresh and delicious.

Love this! Can I ask how much it cost? I want to order a replica of our wedding cake (which was up themed and at Disney) and the balloon and house detailing is very similar. I attached a picture of our wedding cake.

Attachments

• IMG_5509.JPG
    IMG_5509.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 223
Love this! Can I ask how much it cost? I want to order a replica of our wedding cake (which was up themed and at Disney) and the balloon and house detailing is very similar. I attached a picture of our wedding cake.

Your wedding cake was beautiful! The quoted cost for the cake was $115, I believe. It was an eight inch vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream. When I paid for it at dinner, my annual pass discount was applied.

It's a huge cake and very well done. It's certainly worth the cost.

Anyone had any luck ordering Custom Cakes last week or so? I know someone mentioned they wouldn't be making any between now and Oct. 1st. This was only place I had heard of that. I have left messages last Thurs and Today with cake hotline for Tusker House and still no call back. We have reservation for Oct. 7th.

Has anyone tried to order a cake to be brought out after dinner during the Savor the Savanna excursion at Animal Kingdom? I've called everyone and keep getting passed around, with everyone's stock answer being "call the cake line". Dinner during the event is from Tiffins, so I am assuming it would be possible to get a cake, but no one can tell me yes or no. Someone did confirm cake service is resuming on 10/1, but that's as far as I can get! Trying to order this for 10/4 but clearly no one I've talked to has gotten this request before! Thanks

Has anyone here ever seen or had made a Pirates of Caribbean mini or 6" round cake? Celebrating our Daughters birthday in 3 weeks at Disney and she is a big PoC fan. We will be dining at Tusker House, so hopefully we can work it out. I looked back through all 5 version of this chat but couldn't find one. Thought maybe @lurkyloo has seen one before??

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200146845771927&id=1174458303&st=14 This was my daughter's from 2013. I worked with The Contemporary and had it delivered to Whispering Canyon Cafe.

Anyone had any luck ordering Custom Cakes last week or so? I know someone mentioned they wouldn't be making any between now and Oct. 1st. This was only place I had heard of that. I have left messages last Thurs and Today with cake hotline for Tusker House and still no call back. We have reservation for Oct. 7th.

I was the one that said it. She told me it was the celebration cakes they're having trouble with due to the supplier and the hurricane. I think that's the Mickey shaped generic ones. Not sure if they've sorted the supply issue now or not. However custom cakes are fine I'm dealing with POR for a cake for Oct 1st and other than them being really busy haven't had any problems so far. So maybe try chasing then up again they should have got back to you by now. When do you arrive? She told me the need 5 days to make my custom order so you've still got time.

Has anyone had a cake (preferably a mini cake) delivered during brunch at California Grill? Thinking of doing this for an unbirthday surprise for my bestie after we run the W&D Half ...

I was the one that said it. She told me it was the celebration cakes they're having trouble with due to the supplier and the hurricane. I think that's the Mickey shaped generic ones. Not sure if they've sorted the supply issue now or not. However custom cakes are fine I'm dealing with POR for a cake for Oct 1st and other than them being really busy haven't had any problems so far. So maybe try chasing then up again they should have got back to you by now. When do you arrive? She told me the need 5 days to make my custom order so you've still got time.

Ok gotcha....misunderstood your comment. Our reservation is Oct 7th. I spoke with CM at Disney Dining last night and she said some departments are still understaffed as people recover from Irma, but that it shouldn't be a problem as long as I talk with them by Oct 1. I was just adding the dining plan to our trip so thought I would make sure I was calling the right number. She said call back every few days if I don't get a response.

I am currently working with someone at POR to coordinate in requesting a custom cake. I just booked a dinner reservation at The Wave at Contemporary, so I was thinking I could move my custom cake request to them...but I was told CR doesnt do custom cakes. On the website http://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to/order-cake/by-location/#cr they show CR as one where custom cakes can be ordered. Has anyone done this thru CR who can shed some light on this for me? My whole point in the Wave reservation was to be able to order and have delivered a custom cake to the restaurant.

So I just called contemporaty resort private dining line and the person I spoke with said YES they do make custom cakes. So I am now in the works to the my cake done there. I am a little frustrated why I was told by staff at POR that CR doesnt make custom cakes when they actually do. I am so grateful for all the forums that give details like this one to help us get our magic on. Disney website is so limited, as is the knowledge of some of the cast members unfortunately.

So I just called contemporaty resort private dining line and the person I spoke with said YES they do make custom cakes. So I am now in the works to the my cake done there. I am a little frustrated why I was told by staff at POR that CR doesnt make custom cakes when they actually do. I am so grateful for all the forums that give details like this one to help us get our magic on. Disney website is so limited, as is the knowledge of some of the cast members unfortunately.

I saw your first post but didn't get a chance to respond. I'm glad you got someone who was better informed, as I've seen many people here get custom cakes though CR. They are supposed to be one of the best to work with, too.

I started wondering are they all in competition with one another or is it just plain lack of knowledge. I hope the latter because otherwise that is not very disney friendly. Actually one of the cakes I saw I here is the inspiration for the cake i want. So i double checked the post and noticed that cake was done at cr and was a 6 inch (which I was told by POR staff it could not be done custom) and was delivered to the Wave just earlier this year. Was very happy to see that! :-)

I started wondering are they all in competition with one another or is it just plain lack of knowledge. I hope the latter because otherwise that is not very disney friendly. Actually one of the cakes I saw I here is the inspiration for the cake i want. So i double checked the post and noticed that cake was done at cr and was a 6 inch (which I was told by POR staff it could not be done custom) and was delivered to the Wave just earlier this year. Was very happy to see that! :-)

I have heard that some locations aren't doing (or are giving pushback on) 6" customs. I understand that an 8" is probably easier for them to work with, but if you don't want anything too elaborate then I personally don't understand the issue.

Last edited:
I have heard that some locations aren't doing (or are giving pushback on) 6" customs. I understand that an 8" is probably easier for then to work with, but if you don't want anything too elaborate then I personally don't understand the issue.
I could see that. I think the fact that I was told noje of it could be done at CR when in fact it could was disappointing. I am just glad it is getting done. :-)

Thought I would share an update to my attempt to get a custom cake for DD birthday dinner at Tusker House. After calls weren't returned on Fri or Mon I called again today and surprisingly Jill answered instead of the machine. She indicated the normal person who handles this is out on maternity leave (I didn't mention the two previous calls). So she referred me to Cinnamon who was covering. I told Cinnamon I was looking for a custom cake. First she informed me that the buffet already had desserts (no joke) and then she immediately went into the script on the Mickey Dome cake they offer.

I told her I was aware of those but looking for a custom cake. She said they will only do a 8"(or larger) round cake with a screen print. The only customization option they could do was a stand up figure for an additional $30. I explained that we had received a real custom cake last summer and it was a huge hit. I asked if I could send an email with what I had in mind to see if it was possible, but she said no email was available. After some persistent questioning by me she agreed to at least check with the Bakery Captain and see if there was an email she could give out.

So at this point who knows. It really seems strange to me that a company striving to find every opportunity for up-selling is discouraging this option so much. I repeated several times that price wasn't my concern. Last year the cake was roughly $100 and would gladly spend that again for how special it was. And if that isn't enough to be profitable why not just increase the price. Then it's on me if the experience is really worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter